As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charging money for a raffle

SkylabSkylab Registered User regular
I posted on Twitter about this issue but as I didn't get a response, I wanted to make sure this got some attention.

The Capcom booth was holding a raffle for one of their Street Fighter arcade sticks. They were charging $5 per raffle. A purchase of a raffle was required to enter. You didn't get a raffle as part of swag purchase or anything else, it was only for the raffle.

I entered in a bunch of raffles (and won nothing) throughout the weekend and it was always super fun. I'm hugely thankful for all the Enforcers that helped clear the path and make sure we were all safe. Someone was at the Capcom booth holding a bunch of tickets so I asked if I could enter. I was super confused when she said I had to pay $5 and made sure to ask twice. It was still on my mind so I went back a few hours later to confirm. The gentlemen behind the counter confirmed that you did need to pay $5 to enter and the raffle had ended a couple hours earlier. I asked if he was aware that this may be illegal. I'm no lawyer but I'm aware that this is illegal for most sates. See Washington State Gambling Commission. He seemed confused and unaware of the obvious lottery laws of the US. He even said "yeah but Razor is holding a raffle" but I pointed out that Razor is not charging money nor was any other raffle I encountered. He just shrugged his shoulders. Maybe it wasn't his decision to hold the lottery but it seems odd that no one else pointed this out to them. I have no idea how many people entered as I didn't go the drawing. There's also the risk that someone younger than 21 entered the lottery.

I don't want to be a party pooper. I love raffles. I just don't want to see this become normal because it's not right. I hope this was an honest mistake and only the Capcom booth was affected. Vendors need to be aware of this law.

• Options
    divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Skylab wrote: »
    I posted on Twitter about this issue but as I didn't get a response, I wanted to make sure this got some attention.

The Capcom booth was holding a raffle for one of their Street Fighter arcade sticks. They were charging $5 per raffle. A purchase of a raffle was required to enter. You didn't get a raffle as part of swag purchase or anything else, it was only for the raffle.

I entered in a bunch of raffles (and won nothing) throughout the weekend and it was always super fun. I'm hugely thankful for all the Enforcers that helped clear the path and make sure we were all safe. Someone was at the Capcom booth holding a bunch of tickets so I asked if I could enter. I was super confused when she said I had to pay $5 and made sure to ask twice. It was still on my mind so I went back a few hours later to confirm. The gentlemen behind the counter confirmed that you did need to pay $5 to enter and the raffle had ended a couple hours earlier. I asked if he was aware that this may be illegal. I'm no lawyer but I'm aware that this is illegal for most sates. See Washington State Gambling Commission. He seemed confused and unaware of the obvious lottery laws of the US. He even said "yeah but Razor is holding a raffle" but I pointed out that Razor is not charging money nor was any other raffle I encountered. He just shrugged his shoulders. Maybe it wasn't his decision to hold the lottery but it seems odd that no one else pointed this out to them. I have no idea how many people entered as I didn't go the drawing. There's also the risk that someone younger than 21 entered the lottery.

I don't want to be a party pooper. I love raffles. I just don't want to see this become normal because it's not right. I hope this was an honest mistake and only the Capcom booth was affected. Vendors need to be aware of this law.

Wyrmwood was also charging for their raffle. It was so strange.

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    raffles vs drawings. Raffles can charge and its not unusual. Uncles Games was also running a buy tickets raffle. its a very fine line on this point in the legal requirements.

• Options
    SkylabSkylab Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »
    raffles vs drawings. Raffles can charge and its not unusual. Uncles Games was also running a buy tickets raffle. its a very fine line on this point in the legal requirements.

If you want to get technical, raffles are typically where you pay to enter. What occurs during PAX are drawings. There is no fine line. Raffles are considered lottery may be illegal depending on the state and purpose (non-profit for example). These are typically run by the state. The fine line for the drawing is whether requiring attendees to be present to win is legal as it's part of a consideration for entering which may make it illegal.

• Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »

Uncles Games raffle was a fund raiser to help folks impacted by Hurricane Harvey. Didn't see the Capcom raffle.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    This was the first year I've seen this and it was a huge turn off. Even more so that it was parked right next to Merch.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    This is on our radar and we're addressing it in the future. It feels a little skeezy to us too.

• Options
    alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like to think it wasn't so much skeezy as new people organizing for the particular booths not knowing better. I'm an optimist!