As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Where the game labels may be overused, but they should all say +1 to Backlog.

1939495969799»

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Wow, no one in the Stream thread recommending the Steam controller. That can't bode well for Valves hardware plans.

SteevL specifically indicated no interest in buying a Steam Controller at this time.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, no one in the Stream thread recommending the Steam controller. That can't bode well for Valves hardware plans.

The Steam controller isn't a replacement for a normal controller, it's a stop-gap measure if you want to play mouse and keyboard games on the couch with a controller. It's rarely going to be as good as an actual controller in games designed for an actual controller.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It's more of something you buy because you can't find a 360 controller, I think.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The steam controller not having built in rechargeable batteries is what's stopping me from getting one.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    The steam controller not having built in rechargeable batteries is what's stopping me from getting one.

You can get a set of rechargeable batteries + a good battery charger for relatively cheap, though. Obviously it makes it cost extra, but you also get the versatility of rechargeable batteries, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You can get a set of rechargeable batteries + a good battery charger for relatively cheap, though. Obviously it makes it cost extra, but you also get the versatility of rechargeable batteries, too.

I bought some rechargeable AA batteries a bit ago and have found them to be a lot easier to swap than charging packs for my controllers. They probably have better lifespans, too.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I bought some rechargeable AA batteries a bit ago and have found them to be a lot easier to swap than charging packs for my controllers. They probably have better lifespans, too.

Yeah, I got some for my Xbone controller.

Specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBQ7U10/

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV9TGS/

$18 isn't so bad, in my opinion.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I would totally get an Xbone controller just for not having to install weird DS4 drivers to get stuff to work right.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Or, I could just use my ps4 controller which I can charge just by plugging it in and not worry about any of that garbage.
    I would totally get an Xbone controller just for not having to install weird DS4 drivers to get stuff to work right.

You don't need any drivers. Not anymore at least. Sony released official drivers to microsoft, and steam has built in specific support. You can configure the ds4 through the same interface they use for the steam controller. All of the functionality is supported (including motion and the track pad, and changing the color and intensity of the light).

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Coming up on the witching hour here, I should get some sleep after catching up on the Steam thread...99 pages? It's time for the...

NEW THREAD!!! NEW THREAD!!! NEW THREAD!!!

@Bobkins Flymo or @Echo can you please put this one to rest? Thanks!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I'll have to figure out how to get it to work, then, because I'm still having a bunch of issues just using my DS4 regularly without installing drivers.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

He mentioned that he wasn't interested in it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

The Steam controller isn't a replacement for a normal controller, it's a stop-gap measure if you want to play mouse and keyboard games on the couch with a controller. It's rarely going to be as good as an actual controller in games designed for an actual controller.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It's more of something you buy because you can't find a 360 controller, I think.

Actually, I prefer the Steam Controller to the 360 controller, even for games that require a controller. That said, some games won't interact with the Steam Controller if the overlay doesn't work (some old Ubisoft games, most RPGMaker titles) which in general means that you have to use a 360/XBone controllers for those games if you want a controller.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.