Options

Harry Dean Stanton Memorial [chat]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i cut my face shaving today and I'm just wondering who else can see it and thinks

"geeze this guy can't shave"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    no the chocolate in the US is solid. We don't pay for air. Except when we do.

cheetos-puffs-cheese.tmb-.png?sfvrsn=6a51573a_1

So much air.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    My own experience with tone-policing is less in an internet argument sense

And more in a real life, dealing with activism and politics sense

It is a very real and frustrating issue when dealing with intersectional activist groups, where for example you will have LGBT activist groups where very privileged gay white cis men tone policing trans women of color about the issues and trying to make sure that any kind of activist action is nice and quiet and government friendly and it's like

my dudes that's

that's not

that's not what this is about here they're pissed for very specific reasons

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    one time i was in a foreign airport and i had a cadbury aero bar and it made me think things about returning to the us!!!!

thank god you were in an airport

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    how abot yall just give up on spellin rite?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Oh man the trypophobia GIS is pretty harrowing, damn

Lots of nasty hands full of holes

My favorites are the mundane things mixed in.

74711eqjcsfo.jpg

more candy should be shapped like bottoms.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    one time i was in a foreign airport and i had a cadbury aero bar and it made me think things about returning to the us!!!!

fk u gooey i thought i liked u

poo
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    you have to use the whole mnemonic, dammit!

i before e, except after c, and when sounding like 'ay' as in neighbor and weigh

let's ok over the list of counterexamples here

✔ foreign
    ❌ neighbor - literally in the goddamn mnemonic
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ❌ sleighs - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ❌ weightlifters - also the the mnemonic are you kidding me
    ✔ weird

I'd be interested in what proportion of words with ei aren't covered by the standard phrase

even in a mug designed specifically to mock it it's only half right

A weird foreigner neither seizes leisure nor forfeits height, being either a sovereign sheik or counterfeit geisha.

like half of these are loan words tho

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hmm ok story time

So on Saturday, after all the unpleasantness at urgent care, I took #2 out for ice cream. Father-son 1-on-1 time, which I'm trying to do more regularly with all the kids since I already see much less of them than porp does.

Anyways

Afterward we finish our ice cream I ask if there's anything else he would like to do together. He wants to go to a play space with a ball pit. OK. So I take him over to a Burger King. He plays there for a bit while I watch and cheer him on, then we need to walk to the Walgreens and pick up medicine for #1.

On the walk over, #2 sees a bunch of leaves in the parking lot that have collected along the curb. He bends down to pick up bunch up. "Daddy I'm gonna get you with these leaves" he says, mischievously. And I almost instinctively started saying something like "Not now we need to get going to the store" but then I stopped and realized, yknow, we don't need to be getting anywhere immediately.

So I picked up some leaves myself and we spent a couple minutes having a leaf fight in a burger king parking lot.

It's weird, though, how you adult for so long and it eventually starts to take over who you are :(

congratulations, your son is now a lazy, impulsive wastrel who will major in English at the cost of $50,000 per year in tuition

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I need a good half elf name.

What are half elves normally called?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

i never liked gooey he can't even tell time

sig.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    But for the record, German law doesn't just ban Nazi iconography, it also bans speech that advocates violence towards, or insults the dignity of, any racial group.

If there's an example of a non-racist or progressive group that's been trod under the boot of the state in the name of German anti-hate-speech or anti-Nazi laws, I'd love to hear about it.

idk any examples but I don't speak German so it's a challenge to find you one. That it hasn't happened is no reflection on the problem of whether it can happen. Power gets used, eventually.

Russell's teapot applies here.

Not sure I agree. I think it's different to argue that the inevitable result of giving power is that it will be used.

Russell's teapot doesn't apply because of slippery slope.

Got it.

Slippery slope arguments are not by default fallacies!

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

i before e, except after c, and when sounding like 'ay' as in neighbor and weigh

✔ foreign
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ✔ weird

I'd be interested in what proportion of words with ei aren't covered by the standard phrase

A weird foreigner neither seizes leisure nor forfeits height, being either a sovereign sheik or counterfeit geisha.

are they really loan words if we never give them back

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has already been shared, but this is so good
    The person who threw the punch appears to walk near the person with the camera, and “Ain’t got nothing to talk about” can be heard. Another person says, “night night.”
    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-police-respond-to-viral-video-of-man-wearing-swastika-getting-punched/

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i cut my face shaving today and I'm just wondering who else can see it and thinks

"geeze this guy can't shave"

considering everyone who shaves at some point cuts him or herself shaving, i think you're good to go

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

8'[

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    But for the record, German law doesn't just ban Nazi iconography, it also bans speech that advocates violence towards, or insults the dignity of, any racial group.

If there's an example of a non-racist or progressive group that's been trod under the boot of the state in the name of German anti-hate-speech or anti-Nazi laws, I'd love to hear about it.

idk any examples but I don't speak German so it's a challenge to find you one. That it hasn't happened is no reflection on the problem of whether it can happen. Power gets used, eventually.

Not sure I agree. I think it's different to argue that the inevitable result of giving power is that it will be used.

Russell's teapot doesn't apply because of slippery slope.

Got it.

Slippery slope arguments are not by default fallacies!

Unsubstantiated ones generally are.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    tbh my only exposure to incidences where tone policing has been claimed is this forum, mostly as an unsuccessful argument for an exception from the don't be a dick rule

Well, here's an option for you.

You can opt to take me at my word that this is a thing that actually happens outside this internet forum community, mostly to minority groups you are not personally a part of, as a way of disregarding their opinions and views using a method of attacking their emotional investment in the issues.

It's an exceedingly common event in larger communities of activists and left-leaning political communities, even when not specifically called out as such, used by a comfortable and privileged majority to silence and disregard a more vocal and, admittedly, outraged minority within that group from saying or doing something that might be gauche.

Or, you can opt to just not believe me that this happens and that I've seen it and personally experienced it and it fucking sucks. It's your call.

that was not a pos intended as an argument

just an observation, and the observation was: "tone policing" is not a term in my other circles and in our public discourse

...in other words, mind your tone, sir!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

who raised 'em, the elf or the human?

alternatively "The Fighting Mongoose"

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

✔ foreign
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ✔ weird

ecayeaqr8s8t.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    no the chocolate in the US is solid. We don't pay for air. Except when we do.

cheetos-puffs-cheese.tmb-.png?sfvrsn=6a51573a_1

So much air.

I eat the crunchy ones

• Options

hate me, sure. but don't hate payton or ranger!!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Aero bars are delicious tho

It was weird to me to find out as a lad that they don't have those in most of the US

we have them now in most grocery stores, in the foreign aisle

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    English doesn't have gendered nouns or declensions or a million characters, don't complain about weird spellings. And constructed languages are for dorks.

we do have gendered nouns

actor/actress
    dominator/dominatrix

etc

one of my favorite pieces of trivia picked up at work in the past couple of weeks is the fact that a female administrator of an estate is called an administratrix

i told the owner this and he told me to fuck right off

• Options
    Eberron has the best version of half-elves

It has the best version of a lot of D&D things

Not Drow tho, yowza

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

But....I....

It has been used, to silence Nazis! And I don't look at Germany and bemoan the death of free speech because you can't be a fucking Nazi loudly and proudly

"Banning free speech will lead to bad things!"

"But it hasn't happened in Germany, which is what we want to kind of test"

"BUT IT COULD"

I'm....not really convinced that absence of evidence is somehow proof of evidence?

The disconnect here is that you are measuring only whether the effect you want is happening, and maybe not even recognizing that "chilling effect" is a thing?

Like, the harm is that the People live in a regime where some speech will inherently get you thrown in jail. That's the harm. Their society is one in which sometimes, if you say a bad thing, the government forces you to be silent or else.

I'm okay if we have a chilling effect on nazis. They're nazis! What else has it chilled though? Our society is one in which if you say a bad thing the government forces you to be silent or throws you in jail! That's not unique!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Public Service Announcement: Cadbury chocolate is bad. Yes the UK based one. Yes even before the Kraft takeover.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Lego

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh man the trypophobia GIS is pretty harrowing, damn

Lots of nasty hands full of holes

My favorites are the mundane things mixed in.

74711eqjcsfo.jpg

this inspires feelings of revulsion for me

not because I'm a trypophobe

but because I fukkin hate aero bars they're nasty

Wispa is superior

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

✔ foreign
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ✔ weird

your whole goddamn language is loan words!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    a
    Hmm ok story time

So on Saturday, after all the unpleasantness at urgent care, I took #2 out for ice cream. Father-son 1-on-1 time, which I'm trying to do more regularly with all the kids since I already see much less of them than porp does.

Anyways

Afterward we finish our ice cream I ask if there's anything else he would like to do together. He wants to go to a play space with a ball pit. OK. So I take him over to a Burger King. He plays there for a bit while I watch and cheer him on, then we need to walk to the Walgreens and pick up medicine for #1.

On the walk over, #2 sees a bunch of leaves in the parking lot that have collected along the curb. He bends down to pick up bunch up. "Daddy I'm gonna get you with these leaves" he says, mischievously. And I almost instinctively started saying something like "Not now we need to get going to the store" but then I stopped and realized, yknow, we don't need to be getting anywhere immediately.

So I picked up some leaves myself and we spent a couple minutes having a leaf fight in a burger king parking lot.

It's weird, though, how you adult for so long and it eventually starts to take over who you are :(

congratulations, your son is now a lazy, impulsive wastrel who will major in English at the cost of $50,000 per year in tuition

yeah but he'll probably have some viscerally entertaining internet posts of his collected into a [chat] OP someday so it's worth it

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

✔ foreign
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ✔ weird

listen, japan loans us the word geisha

we loan them the word laser

that was the agreement

• Options
    Public Service Announcement: Cadbury chocolate is bad. Yes the UK based one. Yes even before the Kraft takeover.

the stuff you get in the us sure

the english stuff is great

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

But....I....

It has been used, to silence Nazis! And I don't look at Germany and bemoan the death of free speech because you can't be a fucking Nazi loudly and proudly

"Banning free speech will lead to bad things!"

"But it hasn't happened in Germany, which is what we want to kind of test"

"BUT IT COULD"

I'm....not really convinced that absence of evidence is somehow proof of evidence?

The disconnect here is that you are measuring only whether the effect you want is happening, and maybe not even recognizing that "chilling effect" is a thing?

Like, the harm is that the People live in a regime where some speech will inherently get you thrown in jail. That's the harm. Their society is one in which sometimes, if you say a bad thing, the government forces you to be silent or else.

Yes Nazis should be jailed and reformed, or otherwise removed from society if reform is somehow impossible.

Yes this is a thing we can do without pretty much forever.

Just because we're doing it for Nazis doesn't mean we should do it for anyone else. Nazis got their chance, then we realized they make few valid contributions to the human race.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    God damn it, Sammich.

That's it.

I'm diving DEEP into the weird shit

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

✔ foreign
    ✔ Keith
    ❌ receives - after c
    ❌ eight - sounds like ay
    ✔ counterfeit
    ❌ beige - sounds like ay
    ✔ feisty
    ✔ caffeinated
    ✔ weird

hahnsoo for best mug designer 2017

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

hate me, sure. but don't hate payton or ranger!!

dont bring your dogs into this, they're innocent

poo
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Chadthael

• Options
    Aero bars are delicious tho

It was weird to me to find out as a lad that they don't have those in most of the US

we have them now in most grocery stores, in the foreign aisle

what a time to be alive

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    half elves are lame, you just gotta go full elf or not

the only acceptable halves are half-orcs and maybe halflings

is there a term for a half-halfling?

This discussion has been closed.