As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Charter

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Social Entropy++
I'm just making this thread to vent.

My dad's hard drive just died. But it's ok, because I convinced him to sign up for CrashPlan cloud backup a while back!

Except.

My dad's only ISP option is Charter, so that's what he has. He used to use the included Charter email account as his primary. When he switched over to gmail, he set the Charter account to forward incoming emails to his new address.

The Charter address was the one associated with his CrashPlan account. All of the emails notifying him that it was time to renew were sent to that account.

Charter freezes email accounts if they haven't been logged into for six months.

Charter does not notify its customers of this.

Because my dad's Charter account quietly stopped forwarding emails, his CrashPlan account expired and his backups were deleted. He lost most of his photos, thousands of dollars worth of paper model PDFs, and all of his client files from at least the past decade.

Fuck Charter.

Calica on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm just making this thread to vent.

My dad's hard drive just died. But it's ok, because I convinced him to sign up for CrashPlan cloud backup a while back!

Except.

My dad's only ISP option is Charter, so that's what he has. He used to use the included Charter email account as his primary. When he switched over to gmail, he set the Charter account to forward incoming emails to his new address.

The Charter address was the one associated with his CrashPlan account. All of the emails notifying him that it was time to renew were sent to that account.

Charter freezes email accounts if they haven't been logged into for six months.

Charter does not notify its customers of this.

Because my dad's Charter account quietly stopped forwarding emails, his CrashPlan account expired and his backups were deleted. He lost most of his photos, thousands of dollars worth of paper model PDFs, and all of his client files from at least the past decade.

Fuck Charter.

hmm, you might be able to still recover the info off the physical drive, depending on what went wrong

if it's rotational drive, you should check and see if the HDD motor has burnt out - it's a fairly trivial matter for a technician to swap one motor for another, and will get your drive working long enough that you can back up your information elsewhere

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    That's super shitty and I'm sorry. Don't know if you or he have a twitter account or facebook account, but public shaming of companies that do this kind of crap is pretty effective, seemingly because they don't want to deal with that kind of bad publicity if you @ them. Just a thought

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A data recovery company should be able to get most of the data off the drive, but that can be really expensive. Might be worth it if those PDFs and the client info is more valuable than the cost of having the platters scraped.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I don't know exactly what went wrong with the drive, but it's apparently not repairable. He has a tech support guy trying to get the data off of it, and if that fails they'll send it to a recovery service. He pulled the drive before it died completely, so I'd hoped it would be relatively easy to save the data; but I guess not.

Ironically, I'm told tech support guy is panicking because he didn't know about Charter's policy either, and had a similar setup.

My dad has a Facebook account, and I have a Twitter account that I never use. I'll float the idea of public shaming when I see him this weekend. The thing is, the damage is done and I don't think it's actually in Charter's power to fix this. I suppose it might push them to change their shitty policy though.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    that is a really dumb policy about freezing an account.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562