As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! Makes kids comic with Arms Company, forgets Iron Man's origin story.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think if you accept that you have to have armed forces you can accept that someone needs to make their stuff and as long as the armed forces are ethical and responsible then making that stuff is not something immoral or unethical itself. It's not nice but it is what it is.

However the US Military-Industrial Complex being what it is, there's a vast amount to criticize. These companies are hugely unethical and have a horribly large amount of influence. Marvel isn't teaming up with NG, Marvel sells comics and NG is one of the biggest weapon manufacturers in the world. Marvel is doing recruitment for NG and that's pretty reprehensible. I can't imagine it'll have gone remotely well amongst their writing staff however.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm a little heartbroken that Fabian Nicieza wrote that comic. Cable & Deadpool is why I became a weekly comic book reader, and it's a bummer to know that the guy who wrote that also had no problem writing a recruitment tool like this.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I think if you accept that you have to have armed forces you can accept that someone needs to make their stuff and as long as the armed forces are ethical and responsible then making that stuff is not something immoral or unethical itself. It's not nice but it is what it is.

Here's where you lose me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DLh1xWjWkAAjozT.jpg

"sorry you're stupid and didn't understand what we were doing"

Furu on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    At least they recognize they project was toxic enough to be worth dumping. Means even if they don't agree with the sentiment, they recognize it as being financially worth listening to still. It's not great, but it's something at least.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    DLh1xWjWkAAjozT.jpg

"sorry you're stupid and didn't understand what we were doing"

Where was this “screw you guys, I’m going home” attitude during Secret Empire?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Way easier to kill a marketing deal with a one-shot comic book than it is to put the breaks on a line-wide event that's has a big miniseries as well as a zillion tie-ins you've already had writers inject into their ongoings.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Way easier to kill a marketing deal with a one-shot comic book than it is to put the breaks on a line-wide event that's has a big miniseries as well as a zillion tie-ins you've already had writers inject into their ongoings.

Yep. Pulling out of Secret Empire early would have essentially meant shutting their entire line of comics down until they could regroup. Which you can't really do.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yep. Pulling out of Secret Empire early would have essentially meant shutting their entire line of comics down until they could regroup. Which you can't really do.

It would basically be months of no comics.

Which is why you don't do that kind of shit in the first place

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Tweeted this morning

It has gone about how you expect.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    boy they are really just asking for it aren't they

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I guess I forgot the :P .

Obviously they couldn’t shut down SE, but that arguably makes it worse. With the NG deal, there’s probably only a few people involved, so not realizing what they were doing is understandable. With so many people working on SE and tie-ins, nobody was able to step up and say, “Um, I have some concerns...”?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    boy they are really just asking for it aren't they

Literally 90% of the posts I saw were about Northrop Grumman

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    This is how the Marvel-NG cancellation feels:

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am glad the event was cancelled and the comic pulled but "sorry y'all didn't get what we were going for" is a weak-ass apology and since the only person working with Marvel that I've seen comment was Saladin Ahmed (who is fantastic) I still don't feel comfortable supporting Marvel until there is some genuine action taken regarding how this could have possibly been okayed and how no one has said a word on an individual level.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you'll be waiting quite a while if you expect marvel to ever admit to making a mistake

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    you'll be waiting quite a while if you expect marvel to ever admit to making a mistake
    I'm fine with that

DC is very good right now and every Marvel Writer I like except for Al Ewing has some creator owned work I can support instead

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    oh i know and i am not trying to be needlessly negative. i'm just so over marvel's marketing techniques at this point, what with all the shitty stuff they've had to spin lately.

i am kinda glad, too, since i was so behind to begin with, that i can just ignore them completely and instead go all in on those dc hanna barbera books.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    This is a lovely time to point out Saladin Ahmed has a creator owned book from Boom! Coming out
    m15frjedtnvr.jpg
    It stars a reporter in 1972 Detroit investigating the supernatural.

He is a very good writer and this will probably be fantastic.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    has DC scooped up Chip Zdarsky or is he still just doing double duty with Sex Criminals

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I respect him for this (especially since hes still pretty low on the writer food chain at Marvel) and think it is a very valid reason to continue to work there, but the fact that he is the only current Marvel employee I've seen make any comment when I am sure loads are just as upset is so disappointing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    has DC scooped up Chip Zdarsky or is he still just doing double duty with Sex Criminals
    He did a story for the Harley Quinn anniversary special so marvel doesn't have him under exclusive contract at least

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    If Marvel wanted to promote exploration and Aerospace technologies, why didn't they try to partner with NASA?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    NASA doesn't have fat stacks of cash to toss Marvel's way.

• Options
    it's gotta be a tough spot to be in, since as a diverse voice, you know if you leave there's a very good chance you're getting replaced with another white guy

but honestly, if a bunch of the lower end cats even just came out and said "comics don't pay shit, and i need my job" as a reason they ain't speaking up, it'd sit a whole lot better, but not even that half-excuse isn't being said

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Pretty sure NASA is forbidden from spending any money on advertising, so yeah, unless it was entirely funded by Marvel it's not happening.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    If Marvel wanted to promote exploration and Aerospace technologies, why didn't they try to partner with NASA?

Because NG asked first. Marvel didn't seek this out, I'm almost certain.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    G Willow Wilson hasn't said anything?

I thought she'd definitely have something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Here is a handy dandy guide to creator owned books from some of Marvel's best writers:

I already covered Abbott by Saladin Ahmed up a few posts. It was just announced and is out in January.

25k9vjbwsdla.jpg
    Gerry Duggan has Analog coming out in April:
    After an event called the Great Doxxing, individuals’ personal information and loads of international government secrets are revealed to the world. The world changes overnight as people, companies, and government leaders reevaluate how secrets are transferred. They ultimately settle on a hard copy solution where secrets are printed on paper, packed into briefcases, and sent around the world under the protection of armed couriers, known as “ledger men.” Jack McGinnis, a former member of the US security facility, is one of these individuals and the lead of Analog.

Duggan said the team has been working on this series for a long time– since 2015. The election changed a great deal of their conception of the series, resulting in the paranoid end product we’ll see on store shelves beginning in 2018. Duggan said that the team already has the first arc almost entirely completed and that he is currently working on the second arc of the series.

In terms of tone, the series recalls 70s paranoid thrillers including Point Blank, Parallax View, and Three Days of the Condor. Duggan said that he “hopes the series has laughs” but also gave the impression that the story would be action packed. It’s a “globe-hopping” story that will see Jack go to Tokyo in the first arc, whose government deals with the Great Doxxing in a very different way than America does. In this initial story, Duggan says, “we’re going to meet all of our players…we’re going to catch up with Jack on the job” as well as his antagonist and someone who they’re not sure will be an antagonist or not—“Aunt Sam,” the head of the New York branch of the NSA.

“It’s been really fun to have Jack butt up against an NSA that’s trying to reconstitute itself as rows and rows of Xerox copiers,” Duggan said.

David Walker and Sanford Greene, the duo behind the recent fantastic Power Man and Iron Fist run have Bitter Root in Spring.
    ulg9dwibqfxo.png
    Their new series will follow Cullen Sangerye, the reluctant heir to a monster-hunting family legacy, as he navigates the racially volatile world of 1920s New York.

Set against the backdrop of the Harlem Renaissance, the series will focus on the Sangerye family’s internal conflict over whether to continue with their tradition of purifying monsters, or abandon it in favor of destroying them. Cullen is one of the last of the family, and wants nothing to do with his legacy, preferring to experience the cultural boom of the time, while his sister Blink wants nothing more than to take the lead of her family, but can’t due to her being a woman.

Charles Soule (90% of modern Inhumans, She-Hulk, Daredevil) has Curse Words which is a far more straight up comedy focused title than normal for him.
    wrv7g8d16njy.jpg
    A wizard has appeared in present-day New York! His name is Wizord, and he's here to save us all from dark magical forces bent on our destruction. He's the best wizard of all time! Or... he's not, and he's lying to everyone, and secretly is the dark magical force, but wants to hang out in our world for a while because it's so much nicer than the hellhole he comes from. Secrets, and spells, and talking koalas - CURSE WORDS is a gonzo dark fantasy from CHARLES SOULE (Daredevil, Letter 44, Star Wars) and RYAN BROWNE (God Hates Astronauts)

Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa (creators of Amadeus Cho) have Mech Cadet Yu from Boom! which is the comics equivalent of a great Saturday morning cartoon.
    gg90ja0xn4n4.jpg
    Mech Cadet Yu is the story of Stanford Yu, a young janitor who is unexpectedly chosen to join the sacred ranks of the mech cadets at Sky Corps Academy. Once a year, giant robots from outer space come to Earth to bond with the cadets to defend the world from terrifying aliens known as the Sharg. After he unintentionally bonds with his robot, Yu is thrown into training, hoping to prove he is worthy of being there at all.

There are others like Jason Aaron and Chip Zdarsky who have established creator owned work (Southern Bastards, Sex Criminals) and some who have their own side projects on the internet and other mediums (Chris Hastings, Ryan North) and then there are a few that sadly just work for Marvel so there aren't any other options, notably Al Ewing.

Hope this helps!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    She hasn't tweeted since about noon yesterday it looks like.

• Options
    Oh lovely, Joe Quesada took a moment during the Avengers panel to spotlight how much Nick Spencer has "endured" while writing Captain America and praised him for toughing it out.

Cool cool cool just gonna keep throwing logs on the fire that is this weekend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    won't someone think of the nazi apologists

• Options
    it is very hard to be a middle aged white man

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Marvel apparently wants me to never buy a comic again.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    it is very hard to be a middle aged white man

Y'all don't know what it's like

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    He's very brave for enduring criticism of his work

How could anyone deal with people thinking what you're doing is bad, how barbaric is that

What the fuck, man

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.