Options

Video Game Sales Numbers 3: We <3 Analysts

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. So the PS3 is probably in the 400,000 range?

Wasn't there a Sony exec loudly saying they were selling 200,000 per week this month?

Were his pants on fire when he said that, by any chance?

In other news, goddamn that's a lotta consoles.

It is December.

Ah, nevermind, then.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. So the PS3 is probably in the 400,000 range?

Wasn't there a Sony exec loudly saying they were selling 200,000 per week this month?

Were his pants on fire when he said that, by any chance?

In other news, goddamn that's a lotta consoles.

It is December.

Next month is going to be really telling on whether or not Nintendo kept up with demand.

December is usually anywhere from 66% to 100% larger in numbers.

If they were struggling to put a little over 1 million into supply for November, can they really stuff 2 million or more for December?

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The NPD covers from November 4th to December 1st (4 weeks).

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Guitar Hero 3 Wii gets a call-out? Interesting hint-drop, especially since the game has the mono-only problems and I figured the 360 and PS2 versions would easily outpace it. It's apparently been quite hard to find, though.

I still haven't seen it anywhere in the wild since launch. I would have bought it if my exhaustive search of All major cities in Alberta and Saskatchewan paid off back on launch day. Now it's too close to Christmas to buy any new toys, and if I don't get it as a gift, I probably won't ever get it, since I'll have so much other awesome after the gifts are opened.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This'll be one of the juiciest NPDs we've had in years! Or at least a year.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    AC will probably outsell galaxy, but I don't think galaxy numbers will be disappointing at all. there have been reports of the little gem selling like gangbusters everywhere.

Guek on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I expect the DS and Wii software to at least sell half a metric shitload.

So that's about 1.6 imperial fucktons then.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Guitar Hero 3 Wii gets a call-out? Interesting hint-drop, especially since the game has the mono-only problems and I figured the 360 and PS2 versions would easily outpace it. It's apparently been quite hard to find, though.

I still haven't seen it anywhere in the wild since launch. I would have bought it if my exhaustive search of All major cities in Alberta and Saskatchewan paid off back on launch day. Now it's too close to Christmas to buy any new toys, and if I don't get it as a gift, I probably won't ever get it, since I'll have so much other awesome after the gifts are opened.
    But is it enough to get a Rock Band version? There have been rumors that EA was waiting to see how GHIII played out on the Wii, so is Rock Band Wii coming now? Hopefully in stereo at least?

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I expect the DS and Wii software to at least sell half a metric shitload.

So that's about 1.6 imperial fucktons then.

Explains the similarity between the Wii and ISD gray.

Only color in the galaxy that is abundantly available...

Wienke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I think Activision was retarded when it came to GH3.

I've been saying it since it was announced.

They overproduced 360 and PS2 versions of the game and under produced Wii versions. Yes, the 360 and PS2 were going to be in the top of the sales for the systems, but don't forget that both of these systems have had guitar bundles released already.

The Wii is a system that appeals to both casual and hardcore gamers; Guitar Hero appeals to both of these crowds. It's a recipe for extreme success when looking at an installed base of ~15M.

What do they do?

They publish about as many Wii versions as PS3 versions. what the fuck.

I got my copy on release. After wading through veritable mountains of 360 and PS2 boxes of Gh3, I finally found the small stack of Wii and PS3 bundles -- two stacks, each about 15 units high.

GG, Activision.

edit: Since that day I have no seen a copy of GH3 Wii in a single store.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The makers of rockband have pretty much confirmed that there will be a Wii version.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The makers of rockband have pretty much confirmed that there will be a Wii version.

Every time someone asks about Rock Band on Wii, the typical response is:

"Well, just wait. We can't say anything. Except. Wait."

My guess is that they themselves are waiting on Nintendo to get Wii Ware up and running so that they can implement a downloadable service for new Rock Band stuff. Once that gets sorted out, I expect a Rock Band Wii to be announced.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The 360 GH III bundle has been laughably hard to find lately as well.

Not nearly as bad as the Wii though.

Plenty of PS2 copies and it looks like they picked up the slack on the PS3 copies as well.

Wienke on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's true, the 360 GH sales have supposedly been on the rise. (makes sense, being the holiday season) Of course the 360 version would do well but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's getting hard to find now is because stores are finally starting to sell out of their initial shipment. That initial 360 GH3 shipment was enormous.

The initial Wii shipment was extremely meager.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

My guess is that they themselves are waiting on Nintendo to get Wii Ware up and running so that they can implement a downloadable service for new Rock Band stuff. Once that gets sorted out, I expect a Rock Band Wii to be announced.

In case you didn't hear, though, the PS2 version of Rock Band is coming out this week and it's apparently scaled down quite a bit from the 360/PS3 versions. No customizable characters, DLC or real Band World Tour mode as it exists in the other games (with fans, stadiums, setlists, etc.). Plus HMX sanctioned the project but they didn't helm the actual thing, so it's somewhat of a port. It will be interesting to see, if they choose to go with a Wii version, which one they end up using as a basis.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have yet to see a PS3 GH3 package... theyre not trying very hard to get my impulse buy. Ive seen plenty of PS3 rockband packages though.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The shitty ps2 port, everyone seems to develop shit for the Wii and then expect it to sell and then lament that it doesn't.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007

In case you didn't hear, though, the PS2 version of Rock Band is coming out this week and it's apparently scaled down quite a bit from the 360/PS3 versions. No customizable characters, DLC or real Band World Tour mode as it exists in the other games (with fans, stadiums, setlists, etc.). Plus HMX sanctioned the project but they didn't helm the actual thing, so it's somewhat of a port. It will be interesting to see, if they choose to go with a Wii version, which one they end up using as a basis.

Wait.. what the fuck? Well, we knew the PS2 version wouldn't have DLC.

But no cust. characters? World Tour? They have to at least have a World Tour...

That sucks. So it's kind of a situation of.. another team trying to shoehorn HMX's work onto the PS2?

I hope to God that a responsible developer handles the Wii version then. If GH can get DLC on the Wii, then Rock Band can get DLC on the Wii.

I knew RB on the PS2 was being released this week , but I had no idea it was so severely gimped beyond graphics and a lack of DLC.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    The shitty ps2 port, everyone seems to develop shit for the Wii and then expect it to sell and then lament that it doesn't.

Indeed, like I said, I pray to God that someone handles the Wii version responsibly. It's going to sell well. It's a question of whether they want to deliver a shit product to the market or do something to solidify Rock Band as an excellent franchise on the Wii.

My rational part of my brain tells me it's going to be a straight port of the PS2 version. My optimistic part of my brain is telling me that whoever handles RB Wii, they'll at least do as much extra work as Neversoft and add some kind of online component and DLC.

I can handle weak graphics for a rhythm game. But I'll be pretty annoyed if Rock Band lacks significant features like customizeable characters and World Tour and stuff like that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So what time do the NPDs hit?

Man, there are amazing sales figures happening all over at the moment. So awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Maybe they're waiting to see what Nintendo does about adding some extra storage to the Wii before they announce a Wii version of Rock Band. With Wii Ware on the horizon, you know it's got to happen very soon.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Indeed, like I said, I pray to God that someone handles the Wii version responsibly. It's going to sell well. It's a question of whether they want to deliver a shit product to the market or do something to solidify Rock Band as an excellent franchise on the Wii.

My rational part of my brain tells me it's going to be a straight port of the PS2 version. My optimistic part of my brain is telling me that whoever handles RB Wii, they'll at least do as much extra work as Neversoft and add some kind of online component and DLC.

I can handle weak graphics for a rhythm game. But I'll be pretty annoyed if Rock Band lacks significant features like customizeable characters and World Tour and stuff like that.

Yeah that would be my fear, especially now hearing the ps2 was basically a scaled down port. You know that's all the Wii will get. And it won't sell as well and they will go "See we shouldn't have released that on your system" all the while activision will laugh all the way to the bank with gh4 on the wii.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2007

523 seconds.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Man, there are amazing sales figures happening all over at the moment. So awesome.
    10 minutes
    Maybe they're waiting to see what Nintendo does about adding some extra storage to the Wii before they announce a Wii version of Rock Band. With Wii Ware on the horizon, you know it's got to happen very soon.
    Didn't they just announce GHIII was getting DLC in Feb./March 2008? So I assume they can get it too.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wait.. what the fuck? Well, we knew the PS2 version wouldn't have DLC.

But no cust. characters? World Tour? They have to at least have a World Tour...

That sucks. So it's kind of a situation of.. another team trying to shoehorn HMX's work onto the PS2?

I hope to God that a responsible developer handles the Wii version then. If GH can get DLC on the Wii, then Rock Band can get DLC on the Wii.

I knew RB on the PS2 was being released this week , but I had no idea it was so severely gimped beyond graphics and a lack of DLC.

A guy came into one of the threads, sounding like he was from Harmonix, and basically said they couldn't fit it. For the PS2 version, something had to go.

Here, found it:
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Some people are saying the PS2 version is not being done by HMX but by a different studio, but I can't find any confirmation about it. I knew the PS2 version was going to be boned but I didn't know it was going to be boned so bad. On another note, this will come as terrible news to people calling out for a PS2->Wii port. You can still rock out with buddies, which is really the key component, but not having any of the Band World Tour and any character stuff is pretty rough.

While the bulk of the porting work was done by *sorry, not released yet*, it is still very much a Harmonix product. There is absolutely no freakin' way you are going to see the same exact thing on the PS2 that you see on the 360/PS3. Platform design/limitations/etc mandate changes and Harmonix, like anyone else, has to adjust the design to accommodate.

We made a certain set of choices in order to deliver a game that is still awesome, and those that do not want to purchase a new console still have the opportunity to play some kick-ass Rock Band. The alternative is to not do PS2 at all.

shryke on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I dont know how you guys feel about VGchartz but according to their main page the PS3 outsold the 360 last week by a slim margin. (worldwide sales)

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Holding out for Wii Ware, like you mentioned above, is at least a very positive sign that any impending Wii version will be more full-featured. If the game were going to be a straight PS2 port, EA likely would have gotten whoever's doing the PS2 version (Moss isn't at liberty to say) to also do a Wii port and gotten it out in time for the holidays. Waiting until next year 1) Lets EA catch up with production of the instruments, 2) Lets Nintendo wheel out Wii Ware and a DLC solution, 3) Gives a chance to use GH3 sales to gauge interest in a Wii version of the game. Monstrous GH3 sales can only help the odds of a Wii version.

I'd be mildly miffed, as Rock Band was the main impetus behind buying my 360 :D, but I'd deal just to get more people playing the game because it's fuckawesome. Looking back now, though, I do believe that the big task of trying to make enough instruments was the main reason we haven't heard anything about a Wii version yet.

I do wonder if Rock Band could feasibly make the top 10 of software for November. I doubt it but in my heart of hearts I want it to trouce GH3 as quickly as possible.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So who is making the new thread? I volunteer if noone else will.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well, it's getting more likely that there'll be some sort of memory expansion system in place for the Wii soon, what with some Wii Ware games taking up lots of space, not to mention the big TG16 CD games and NG games, and the promise of GH3 DLC on the Wii. My guess? an update that allows you to store Wii Ware on, and run from, SD cards. An alternative might be some kind of external drive but I find that unlikely.

Yeah that would be my fear, especially now hearing the ps2 was basically a scaled down port. You know that's all the Wii will get. And it won't sell as well and they will go "See we shouldn't have released that on your system" all the while activision will laugh all the way to the bank with gh4 on the wii.

Well, the thing is, since the market doesn't really know how much will be lost in the port, and the fact that it'll probably sell based on its franchise alone, I still expect it to sell well even if it is a PS2 straight port on the Wii, just like Guitar Hero 3 did.

That's why I say "responsible developer."

If you know that you can dump a PS2 port on the system and make a lot of money, why shouldn't you? The more responsible thing would to make sure that the game is actually decent, to solidify the franchise as a whole on the system, so that you're not just out to make a quick buck, but out to make sure that people want to keep buying the game - and paying for DLC - in the future.

It's a question of, getting a good, quick buck now, at the expense of a small portion of the market; or put some effort into it to sell a little bit more now, but guarantee sales for the franchise in the future.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    A guy came into one of the threads, sounding like he was from Harmonix, and basically said they couldn't fit it. For the PS2 version, something had to go.

Hmxmoss has been around these forums for ages, and he definitely works for Harmonix. I trust him well.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

Do they seriously want to throw Rock Band under the Guitar Hero bus? Low shipments during a huge holiday season. Not supporting all consoles. Only comes with the entire bundle. It doesn't seem like Harmonix knows how to compete against their former product at all.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This is the fastest moving thread I've been a part of in some time. Probably since the Wii megathread.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is it can be numbers time please?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So seriously. Ill make a new thread when they hit if people want. This old one is so bloated now and new NPDs is a perfect opportunity for a new thread. This thread could potentially hit 200 pages before the november dicussion is over. we need a new one.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do it

bruin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So seriously. Ill make a new thread when they hit if people want. This old one is so bloated now and new NPDs is a perfect opportunity for a new thread. This thread could potentially hit 200 pages before the november dicussion is over. we need a new one.
    Do it, the numbers are here any moment.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's not entirely Harmonix's decision. The limited supply was mostly a production constraint.

The shipping of only the entire bundle at launch is only smart business. They have to prioritize getting the game out there, period, before they can prioritize people who already have the game buying an extra guitar or only buying the drums.

There's no way they can compete with GH3, though, sales-wise. Due to higher production volume, all platforms, and an established franchise, and a far lower price, of course GH3 will destroy the sales charts.

At best I can assume that RB is supply constrained and will sell about as many as are put on retail shelves for Nov + December.

But there's no way that a $170 game can compete with the established and hugely succesfful GH3 franchise.

I'm just hoping for a solid Wii Rock Band. Just don't.. fucking.. straight port it.. Give us online something. Or at least.. don't fuck up the offline modes. I can handle weak graphics in a rhythm game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Do they seriously want to throw Rock Band under the Guitar Hero bus? Low shipments during a huge holiday season. Not supporting all consoles. Only comes with the entire bundle. It doesn't seem like Harmonix knows how to compete against their former product at all.

Look like 10 posts up. Basically, they had no choice. Something had to be cut. And honestly, customizable characters is probably the first thing I'd cut.

shryke on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    WHERE ARE MY NUMBERS.

I HAVE TO GET DRESSED IN A SLUTTY OUTFIT FOR A PARTY.

YES I KNOW THAT'S GOING TO BE REALLY DISTURBING. NOT MY IDEA.

Khavall on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    .....aaand Neogaf shudders under the strength of 10,000 F5s.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.