As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Travelling for Work

2»

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'll second using TripIt also.

Also, despite there being a lot of advice in here traveling (especially for work) is very easy. Don't stress.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Someone mentioned traveling in a suit and I would advise against it unless it's a day trip or you need to go to the work site in business atire immediately after getting off the plane. Have some clothes that are your go-to travel casuals. Something that isn't too lazy (pajamas, sweats, etc.) but is comfortable and will get you into more places than Walmart and McDonald's (jeans and a polo shirt).

If you get a good travel bag, you can pack your suit and not worry about ruining it. It also helps to unpack immediately and hang your clothes out when you get to the hotel. Steamers are often available at hotels now. If not, one would be a worthy investment if you wear the same suit for long periods of time. DO NOT USE THE HOTEL IRON UNLESS YOU WANT TO RUIN A GOOD SUIT. If absolutely necessary put a towel between your suit and the iron.

Get the fruit at the continental breakfast. Take an apple/banana for the road. Salads are your friend. Avoid eating greasy Happy Hour food except to ensure you aren't drinking on an empty stomach. Even then, look for healthy options if possible.

Unless you are going to the middle of nowhere you can always buy what you need. Keep that in mind for things that you might assume are necessary to pack but just end up being extra weight. Disposables are a big offender here. As are "travel" size things that are cheaper in normal sizes at the grocery store you will likely be going to after you land anyway. Plastic bags are your friend when it comes to apportioning out exactly what you need.

Pay attention to what you actually end up using on your trips. You will invariably overpack some things and underpack others. Adjust based on your real-world usage so you aren't carrying more than you need. Weight and space are the enemy.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I travel a ton for work, and yeah, lots of great advice here.

One thing I'll add: take photos of your receipts and stay on top of your expenses as much as possible. Especially your cash expenses.

I use an app called CamScanner for my expenses. It takes a picture of the receipt and turns it into a PDF that I can submit electronically.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

One thing I'll add: take photos of your receipts and stay on top of your expenses as much as possible. Especially your cash expenses.

I use an app called CamScanner for my expenses. It takes a picture of the receipt and turns it into a PDF that I can submit electronically.

We use this at my work for people to far from the office and don't have a scanner or fax machine to send in their timesheets. As the person who has to input the timesheets it is 100 times easier on the eyes then when people snap a picture and send that in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

We use this at my work for people to far from the office and don't have a scanner or fax machine to send in their timesheets. As the person who has to input the timesheets it is 100 times easier on the eyes then when people snap a picture and send that in.

My employer uses Concur as an all in one solution, which is nice - I can use the app to take a picture of the receipt, and immediately tie it to the entry on my expense report.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    Great advice here already!

+1 to getting a portable battery, often the airline chargers only give a trickle of power and it saves you from trying to find a free charging port at the airport (they're usually pretty packed).

Also consider making yourself a small travel pack of over the counter drugs for emergencies that you just leave in your bag. It can be really awful to realize you have a migraine coming on, are getting a cold, getting airsick, etc. right before a meeting/presentation etc. Personally, I use a little case and always pack Dayquil/Nyquil, dramamine, excedrin, ibuprofen, mucinex, pepto, and asprin and it has saved me a number of times. I'd also recommend getting some travel packs of tissues and carrying them with you.

If you're fastidious, you might want to think about packing a pair of disposable slippers and just leaving them in your travel bag too. Sometimes hotel floors can be kind of gross and having slippers gives you options.