As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    That was a pretty entertaining episode but yeah, I'm surprised the subject of Darulio using being in heat to manipulate the crew didn't amount to him becoming a villain at the end there rather than just a silly "boy, was that weird" thing.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It seems pretty obvious that Darulio's species is just super free/loose with sex so outside the context of current RL events, it seems to me the intent was innocent enough and was just going to be dismissed away as lol alien cultural/biological differences lol.

But yeah...bad timing.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Normally I automatically avoid anything with Macfarlane attached, but I gave the show a spin and, well, crap. It's actually pretty dang good. Like, the best Star Trek stuff made in a long-ass time (haven't watched Discovery, it looks like its trying way too hard to appeal to me at all). Yeah, it's got a comedic bent to it, but I was pretty damn surprised when it jumped right into some pretty damn hefty issues, and even took the discussion of them completely seriously! Also digging the hell out of the fact that the characters are, well, people, instead of everybody constantly being up their own ass in some way or another. It isn't a better future because it's filled with super-geniuses, it's better because society has worked to improve itself... but still has assholes.

The show is legit like ToS, except with a whole lot better writing, sets, and special effects. So glad I decided to give it a shot, this is great.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    It seems pretty obvious that Darulio's species is just super free/loose with sex so outside the context of current RL events, it seems to me the intent was innocent enough and was just going to be dismissed away as lol alien cultural/biological differences lol.

But yeah...bad timing.

They probably should have focused on that more tbh. I think there's one line about how his species views sex.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

But yeah...bad timing.

I agree, this is one for the commentary tracks/convention responses. Not knowing the production schedule, I would think this was very possibly made before the yawning doom vortex opened up in the middle of Hollywood, and while Seth seems to be able to weather those quite well he may have incidentally skimmed the edge of this one before it arose.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm01FIfX6Sc
    We better get to hear Bortus sing before this season is over.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I gotta say that scene was 10x better than any 10 forward scene in TNG.
    I felt like, yes, these are human beings doing human things.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

The humans in Orvilles future feel more like Super Millenials. They've gotten past a lot of their ancestors hangups but aren't absurd snobs that only remember classical music and literature or recreate baseball games from the math

• Options

The humans in Orvilles future feel more like Super Millenials. They've gotten past a lot of their ancestors hangups but aren't absurd snobs that only remember classical music and literature or recreate baseball games from the math

I don't exactly see why you phrased it as "super millenials", because it doesn't seem to derive from millenials at all. It's just derived off of late-20th to early-21st century pop culture. Speaking as a child who gained the capacity of speech and long-term memories as the first Bush left the White House, It's just that The Orville went with a more realistic spread of interests in older cultural movements than Trek did (with tweaks toward MacFarlane's uses).

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the term millenials will never stop being a useless, overused word to me tbh

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Anzekay wrote: »
    the term millenials will never stop being a useless, overused word to me tbh

My sense it's "People who grew up as the Internet did." Millennials remember a time when Dial-Up or very basic DSL was the best there was. That's it.

edit: Any extra embellishment is useless.

Emissary42 on
  • Options

Did finding GLORY as Rudolph did guiding Santa's Sleigh not intrigue you?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Only seen a few clips after glimpsing at this page. It was better than I expected, though.

• Options
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Only seen a few clips after glimpsing at this page. It was better than I expected, though.

Yer gonna need to find glory with Rudolph @Harry Dresden, specifically in Episode 3.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    My wife and I started watching it tonight and got through two episodes. We like it so far. Even manages to catch that cringeyness of the Next Gen and Voyager at times. Fantastic.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Really hoping this is the end of the recurring Yoffat hitting on Claire thing.

I love Norm but feels like he's being wasted on this character.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    No, I'd say "horny pile of space jello" sounds about right for Norm Macdonald at this stage in his career.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Waffen wrote: »
    My wife and I started watching it tonight and got through two episodes. We like it so far. Even manages to catch that cringeyness of the Next Gen and Voyager at times. Fantastic.

after episode 3 there's a string of straight up TNG episodes basically

Discovery is good as it's own thing, but it's more like battlestar galactica most of the time. Orville is a return to trek form

override367 on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Really hoping this is the end of the recurring Yoffat hitting on Claire thing.

I love Norm but feels like he's being wasted on this character.

I like the idea of an amorphous engineer especially on a tng style space ship where there would be tons of tight spaces .

I think they purposefully cut the doctor thing off here because it wasn't working like they hoped.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Finally, I'm caught up! Okay, let's dig into this all;

Land of the Likes: Meh. The comparison to Black Mirror already happened, I get it wasn't original then, but I wasn't super engaged by how little they changed from the usual premise (in general, not just BM). It felt like someone was watching that episode on Netflix while trolling Reddit and had a brilliant idea...

Isaac's Adventure's In Babysitting: I found the kids fairly insufferable, and even as a non-parent I'm usually pretty tolerant of kids in shows. So, that was the point, and they made it, well done show. I liked the second half a lot more, as shit got progressively real. That said, the whole 'we have no way of knowing what happened, take us in' made me think "you assholes don't have probes? I dunno, throw a football with sensors attached into it first?" Plus, they were able to track the shuttle going towards the anomaly, but struggled after the fact? Yeah, the shuttle was damaged, maybe the power output was down, but they made it half a million klicks at a pretty rapid pace all the same.

Regarding the most recent episode, or as I shall nickname it:
    The Orville Revisits The Naked Now, Presumably As A Star Trek Homage Contractual Obligation: ... gonna jump on the bandwagon with those here who expressed concerns. The episode even glanced at it obliquely, with Darulio having a line about it being rude in his culture to turn down sex.

Look, you're part of a spacefaring race apparently, maybe it shouldn't come as a shock that not everyone rolls like that, and perhaps some damned gloves or other protective personal equipment would be useful. And nobody has noticed this before? I guess medical technology covers unwanted pregnancies and Space STIs? But the consent issues here were not great.

Also, the extended shields idea got a bit of eye rolling. C'mon, guys, you've been better about this than many shows, but in space you're going to need a lot more than Building A Wall to get between a pair of fleets. But then the battle showed them swirling all over the place and it didn't matter because it's time to bring up more massively questionable consent issues...
    https://www.geek.com/television/the-orvilles-timing-could-not-have-been-worse-1722333/

In hindsight, I'm really surprised that FOX aired this at all. Kevin Spacey is being completely recast in a movie that's set for release in less than two months, you can't tell me that FOX didn't have the power to put this on the back burner.

What, Fox show a Sci-Fi show out of order? NEVER!

>.>

Ehhhh, it felt a little too "I cannot believe this many people are watching someone perform Karaoke this intently", but at least it wasn't another violin recital (and I say that as someone who generally liked those little bits in TNG).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Ehhhh, it felt a little too "I cannot believe this many people are watching someone perform Karaoke this intently", but at least it wasn't another violin recital (and I say that as someone who generally liked those little bits in TNG).
    Its a Seth McFarlane show so wouldn't be surprised if everybody in the future is obsessed with musicals and likes to spontaneously break into a song.

Surprised that hasn't happened yet actually.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Its a Seth McFarlane show so wouldn't be surprised if everybody in the future is obsessed with musicals and likes to spontaneously break into a song.

He is remarkably respectful to genres and shows he's a fan of. Orville is his love letter to Trek not his take on it.

• Options

He is remarkably respectful to genres and shows he's a fan of. Orville is his love letter to Trek not his take on it.
    Was interested in seeing what his Flintstones would have been like.

I know everybody was worried it would be prehistoric Family Guy but seeing how he can shift tones abit here with the The Orville, kind of curious now.

He also has a great Fred impersonation.

• Options
    I think it really would have been a more modern take on honeymooners and thats why Fox didnt want it.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Orville on now. Crazy stuff is happening.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This episode was not quite as scary as a similar STNG episode.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    "Hillbillies of the Galaxy."

Hurtful, but accurate.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    totally inaccurate.
    if anyone sees a ghost clown on a ship you go straight to red alert, none of that yellow alert nonsense.

also a good red dwarf joke in there.
    edit: oh yeah, and a great cameo.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    "Hillbillies of the Galaxy."

Hurtful, but accurate.

I love that the super strong aliens are actually elitist intellectual jerks.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I think this was the episode you show to people to get them into the show. The plot was solid, the character work was great, the tension ratcheted up as the show went on, and the humor was all in natural banter and didn't feel shoehorned in for the sake of making jokes. It even made Seth look like an actual captain figure with his inspirational speeches.

Also, Bortus crushed an alligator with a chair. He didn't know why it was there, but it is crushed.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    411Randle wrote: »
    I think this was the episode you show to people to get them into the show. The plot was solid, the character work was great, the tension ratcheted up as the show went on, and the humor was all in natural banter and didn't feel shoehorned in for the sake of making jokes. It even made Seth look like an actual captain figure with his inspirational speeches.

Also, Bortus crushed an alligator with a chair. He didn't know why it was there, but it is crushed.

That line and the deadpan delivery of "Hobo Clowns are the hungriest" were my favorite lines of the episode.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    The implication that Bortus is all up for a colonial duel is fantastic.

I secretly think he gets all of Mercer's bad jokes and he just likes trolling him

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Oh damn, that was an opening.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Omg had a train of thought about how Alara is awful young to be a chief security officer if it weren't for her physiology. Also she's kind of a rarity in the Union fleet, I wonder if the rest of her species resents being seen only for their strength and are a bunch of pacifist intellectuals? It's probably even looked down on by the rest of her society.

And then it happened with her parents. It was so perfect. I need to go back and see if that was seeded in some fashion that I picked up on.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    she broke her father's heart when she dropped out of hologram doctor collage.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Omg had a train of thought about how Alara is awful young to be a chief security officer if it weren't for her physiology. Also she's kind of a rarity in the Union fleet, I wonder if the rest of her species resents being seen only for their strength and are a bunch of pacifist intellectuals? It's probably even looked down on by the rest of her society.

And then it happened with her parents. It was so perfect. I need to go back and see if that was seeded in some fashion that I picked up on.

She did mention it wasn't their strength that gets them fast tracked for promotion, but how rare it is for them to enlist at all.

It makes sense for rank progression to vary somewhat by species, but... That may not be the best reason. In Star Trek, it was implied to be based on life span. A Vulcan could serve longer than a human could live and only be a lieutenant commander, because it was common for Vulcans to serve for 60-100 years, retire, and go back to the academy under a different specialty. A human that had been in Starfleet that long was either a moldy old relic who did nothing more significant than christen successors to the ship's they served on, or they spent half of it in a temporal loop or transporter malfunction.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Holy fuck!!!
    Robert fucking Picardo???

Where does he get those guest stars?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Holy fuck!!!

Seth is a super likable dude with a ton of industry connections.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Holy fuck!!!

Seth is a super likable dude with a ton of industry connections.

And a lot of former Trek actors are super awesome towards fans in general, and famous fans in particular. Picardo isn't exactly Takei or Frakes in that department, but he's still one of them. I imagine very little coercion was needed.

Hevach on