As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

Even the unthinking thralls you bring back from the dead can betray you.

Wish I was surprised.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Just can't get into this game. It feels like a sandbox that gives me no reason to enjoy exploring. I think I need a better plot. The Assassin Creed games had a great mystery to dive into (at least the first couple; later ones got repetitive). Anyone else feel this way?

• Options
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Just can't get into this game. It feels like a sandbox that gives me no reason to enjoy exploring. I think I need a better plot. The Assassin Creed games had a great mystery to dive into (at least the first couple; later ones got repetitive). Anyone else feel this way?

You only feel that way because the game is four areas that have the exact same monsters in them with the exact same goal!
    Yes, lots of people feel that way.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Shadow War is bad and whoever came up with it should feel bad. It wouldn't even be so bad if it didn't lock you out of all the side content but just doing the same thing over and over blows, it isn't even that grindy so far because I was pretty overleveled. There's just an inevitability to whether or not my dudes are a high enough level to repel a siege. If no I replenish my army with the invaders and eliminate the war chiefs before retaking the fortress. It's just bad design. Bought AssCreedO today even though I was going to finish this first, I'm still doing a fortress every now and then but it's really bad design.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    They have some concessions to the grind. You can send a follower on a mission and they'll gain a bunch of levels if they're very low. I think I saw a follower gain 12 levels on a single mission. But it still wasn't enough to keep me interested. I defended every fortress once and called it a day.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Slogged through the shadow wars to finally see the ending, thought I 100% it but see my Nemesis Missions sitting at 97%. Everything on the list says completed, searched online and apparently outposts are either bugged and don’t show up. Or you have to discover them yourself...

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Shadow war was just more of what I wanted to be doing personally. Looking forward to them making it a constant end game thing.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Blain wrote: »
    They have some concessions to the grind. You can send a follower on a mission and they'll gain a bunch of levels if they're very low. I think I saw a follower gain 12 levels on a single mission. But it still wasn't enough to keep me interested. I defended every fortress once and called it a day.

Yeah, it's not so bad. I'm not complaining about the grind, just the decision to lock the other missions off so there's no variation.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just have shadow wars and 'kill a captain with an olog' left to finish this out. Tried the olog nonsense several times yesterday and kept failing : (

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Best place to do that is in a fort attack, try online, you get weaker players at first and can keep trying until you get an overlord with ologs, also put the game on easy while you're doing it

Ok checked out the Xbox one x update.

My god. The Orc textures!! They were extremely fuzzy on the one and often the detailed armour designs were pixelated. But woah, with the x update they look fucking phenomenal. I'm drooling! The terror tribe especially the higher detail looks gorgeous

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    New content schedule, including free stuff:
    DOt9HusUQAAi5Fo.jpg:large

November 21st is Slaughter Tribe DLC, plus for free there's Endless Seiege (which sounds like endless Shadow Wars), Rebellion (unsure), and enhancements for Photo Mode.
    December 5th is the Online Fight Pits, a free mode where you can fight your Overlords vs. other players' Overlords for rewards.
    December 12th is the Outlaw Tribe DLC, plus the free Brutal difficulty, which is harder than Nemesis and has no Last Chances.
    Blade of Gladriel coming in February, Desolation of Mordor coming in May along with a new survival mode.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Maybe this Rebellion thing will give me a reason to play again if they give you a way to manage/prevent betrayals.

Because right now, fuck you, nothing you can release is going to get me to buy shit when the game is just going to randomly set me back hours worth of work.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I was confused as to why they'd use Baranor in DLC, but a Survival mode makes sense and could be fun.

Unrelated: I have an enemy captain running around Gorgoroth named Krakhorn the Lucky. He is constantly in Nemesis missions, and in every single one, he's about to be executed. I have made it a game to intervene and let him escape every time, just to see if he ever gets another mission type.

Six times and counting. "Lucky" indeed!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    New content schedule, including free stuff:
    DOt9HusUQAAi5Fo.jpg:large

November 21st is Slaughter Tribe DLC, plus for free there's Endless Seiege (which sounds like endless Shadow Wars), Rebellion (unsure), and enhancements for Photo Mode.
    December 5th is the Online Fight Pits, a free mode where you can fight your Overlords vs. other players' Overlords for rewards.
    December 12th is the Outlaw Tribe DLC, plus the free Brutal difficulty, which is harder than Nemesis and has no Last Chances.
    Blade of Gladriel coming in February, Desolation of Mordor coming in May along with a new survival mode.

added this to the OP for those wanting an easier reference down the line.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Best place to do that is in a fort attack, try online, you get weaker players at first and can keep trying until you get an overlord with ologs, also put the game on easy while you're doing it

My god. The Orc textures!! They were extremely fuzzy on the one and often the detailed armour designs were pixelated. But woah, with the x update they look fucking phenomenal. I'm drooling! The terror tribe especially the higher detail looks gorgeous

Despite not having finished the first one (yet), the whole lootbox fiasco (hey, at least it isn't Battlefront II), I'm seriously tempted to pick this up just because I keep hearing how amazing it looks on XB1X. I suspect I won't be able to wait for it to be $4 like the last one.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Despite not having finished the first one (yet), the whole lootbox fiasco (hey, at least it isn't Battlefront II), I'm seriously tempted to pick this up just because I keep hearing how amazing it looks on XB1X. I suspect I won't be able to wait for it to be $4 like the last one.

Believe me, you can wait.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm playing through the first one right now and I am about an hour into the next area. I think I'm going to make a hard push to finish it because I don't want to burn myself out on the game. There are a lot of really good things about the game, but the minor annoyances that creep up really get amplified because the game can go from "holy shit this is awesome" to "seriously what the fuck? 4 of them? WHY ARENT YOU RUNNING WHY ARE YOU STUCK ON A ROCK FUCCKK".

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Believe me, you can wait.

Every so often I will get unreasonably angry at the controls in Shadow of Mordor ("WHY THE FUCK WOULD I WANT TO GROPE THE AIR? JUST PICK UP THE DAMN FLOWER!") and that keeps me from wanting to commit to a sequel too much. I get that the first game is, indeed, GOTY stuff, but I occasionally feel like $4 was the right price for me.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It was dragging on so I looked up the full contents of shadow wars. You have to defend the same 4 fortresses 5 times each, in a row, with no other story/quest content.

It's just...why? Oh right, lootcrates.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this until you can get 40-50% off in the christmas sale or something.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    It was dragging on so I looked up the full contents of shadow wars. You have to defend the same 4 fortresses 5 times each, in a row, with no other story/quest content.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this until you can get 40-50% off in the christmas sale or something.

And this is after the utterly gripping "conquer this fort. Now do this three more times in other areas" "story".

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Don't forget to ugrade your orcs! Once when Shadow Wars starts (since several of your orcs are probably sub-whatever level you are right now) and then once again when you hit level cap!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    And bump the difficulty down because it has no negative impacts and Shadow Wars is a slog.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    They made it as annoying as possible as well. You can't send a warchief on a mission to level up, so you have to demote everyone, grind out their missions, then promote them again.

And all the new orcs that show up seem to be 3-5 levels above me, so I can't recruit high level orcs and have to grind out the missions for my current under leveled guys. And using shame to bring them down is never worth it because they always seem to gain 1-2 severe weaknesses that leave them terrible fighters anyway.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I just finished Shadow of Mordor... I can't believe that the end of the game was essentially 5 QTEs. There's so much more that could have been done.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm on stage 7 of Shadow Wars and I'm enjoying it. I understand the complaints about repetitiveness, but I really enjoy Mordor gameplay so I'm digging it.

One thing I will say, is that offense is much more fun that defense. I lose the defense assaults on purpose, then re-take the fortresses. Much more fun, and I don't have to grind Orc levels. I just control or kill all the warchiefs one by one until the Overlord stands alone, and then the assault is a breeze.

Indoorsman on
  • Options
    With spiked walls and lowest difficulty the idiots will often just get stuck outside and can just roll out there and mop them up.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I just wrapped the Shadow Wars on Saturday. I think it went on a couple of stages too long; I really like the fortress assaults and even I was getting to the point where it felt like a bit of a slog.

I never bothered with loot crates - except the Spoils of War chests I got for online conquests; even then I had three decent high-level Orcs in reserve that I never needed. Leveling up my Captains was easy: send them on missions against vastly higher-level Orcs, win for them, and then watch as your dude jumps 15-20 levels. I also found it was generally easier to just find higher-level replacement Overlords than go through the hassle of leveling mine up - especially when you consider that your Overlord plays almost no role at all except as a decorator and final hurdle for other players in online mode (which is silly).

I was playing on Normal difficulty, and it was absolutely not necessary to boost every single captain to the level cap.

Also, in several cases it was way easier to lose an assault and counter-attack. I found that the new warchiefs often had no bodyguards, so I could just rush their missions, disable everything and then walk through the fort to the Overlord fight.

Overall, I like Shadow of War: the gameplay is solid, the Nemesis System is cool, fortress assaults are fun and micro-transactions are a non-factor. It's a good successor to Mordor that improves on the formula in a variety of ways, and it will probably have a largely unremarkable run because it released in a much more competitive year than the first game.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Patch 1.06 wrote:
    Followers will no longer die from bleed out if they are on a fortress wall that gets destroyed; they will now safely teleport to the ground.

Hooray!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it seems all Rebellion does is add more ways for you to get betrayed. Now if you have too many orcs in an area, a ton will rise up in revolt against you. Gotta make you burn those orcs you like faster so that they can try and tempt you into buying boxes.

Also, the Slaughter tribe DLC is a hilarious $15.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wish they added some Cheevos with the slaughter tribe, yes I'm that guy

• Options
    Unfortunately, it seems all Rebellion does is add more ways for you to get betrayed. Now if you have too many orcs in an area, a ton will rise up in revolt against you.

Fuckin' WHAT?

Man, fuck this game and fuck WB.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, it seems all Rebellion does is add more ways for you to get betrayed. Now if you have too many orcs in an area, a ton will rise up in revolt against you. Gotta make you burn those orcs you like faster so that they can try and tempt you into buying boxes.

Also, the Slaughter tribe DLC is a hilarious $15.

Does the new Rebellion content kick in during the main campaign or just the "end game"? I'm finding this game a real slog to get through as it is and am just about sick of it but haven't finished the campaign yet.

• Options
    I would have been interested in Slaughter Tribe if it was like $5-$9.
    But $15? Fuck outta here

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I would have been interested in Slaughter Tribe if it was like $5-$9.
    But $15? Fuck outta here

Yeah, that's nuts. Given the season pass is like $40, I figured the tribes would be at most $10 each and the story DLC's would be $15 each.

• Options
    So this guy:
    7TFr7hh.jpg

I had to fight this asshole 4 times tonight in Gorgoroth. I guess I killed him the first time on an earlier visit to the area, because I didn't remember him at all, and now he's all poisony and gross and Legendary. Despite being the Plague-Bringer, he was still Vulnerable to poison, which I killed him with twice. I also chucked him off a cliff, that didn't stick either. Finally, I got in a fight with him when he had a caragor, and had to chase him across the zone because I was out of arrows and didn't want him to get away. Finally executed him, and that seems to have shut him up for good. I hope.
    yiaC27d.jpg
    OtQzdGl.jpg
    XRgGnCm.jpg
    nhElyfM.jpg

• Options

Oh...

I just got to act 4 and was just going to ask how much longer this slog is going to take to 100%. :bigfrown: Why??? Was hoping for a couple of hours. Gonna have to grind out and level a shit ton of orcs, right?

I actually enjoyed (Act 3 spoilers)
    the last two boss fights at the end of act 3

for a change. Usually they suck in these types of games but they were alright if a bit QTE. They weren't even the hardest. I had more issues with
    Isildur

Have they said if they're making another? Haven't got the bonus ending yet but (all the spoilers)
    Talions story feels about done already at the start of act 4. Like the game could have ended there and it'd have been fine.

I'm half hoping Sauron and Celebrimbor can be separated so we can spend a game chasing the ghost elf down and toss him in a magic ghost volcano.

After all those hours of snark I want to kill Celebrimbor ... again. Fuck the rest of middle earth.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Still early in the game but the only complaint I have so far is the lack of the ability to skip captain intros.

I appreciate them and all but I flip rapidly from appreciating them to being suuuuuper annoyed by them when I'm dealing with five of them chained in a row because my target happens to apparently be surrounded by a gaggle of ambushers.

Yes, yes. You're all very scary/crazy/funny but can you please for the love of god shut the fuck up so I can get the part where I shank each of you?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    This game is something. I'm only 46 atm. To upgrade the set they give you at the end of act 3 I need the skill locked to champions pit fight in Minas Morgul so I can use it on a bunch of level 40 captains. That requires beating a 56 epic or leg champion and all my goons there are level 26-36. When an existing captain dies they are replaced by 48-55 goons on the map which have to be shamed to be recruited because they're too high. So they have to be beaten at least twice and Minas Morgul is the worst zone. A fight with one captain can turn into a clusterfuck with 3-4 captains showing up.

So to upgrade these level 35 items I need to kill or recruit a bunch of low level captains, shame their replacements and hope I have the right affixes and level range (if they don't they need to be leveled up) to beat a 56 champion which changes every time you send a captain to fight and then use that skill on any captain above 40. The legendary upgrade quests have been the same sort of shit with level ranges all game so I haven't done one yet but I kinda like the set they gave you for 'finishing' the story. I'm assuming it just upgrades the item to a new tier so they don't need to be replaced but the gear for finishing the story was level 30-35 so it's kind of trash to wear.

Was getting annoyed with it so I started the Shadow Wars and it's quickly devolved into the same shit as in Minas Morgul just for keep defense and attack. The XP from captain missions is shit now too especially on low level goons so it's more tedious shit or spamming advance time for a bit to clear out them out.

danx on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    After I finished Ac Origins I was wanting to come back to this and finish it, but yikes you guys make it sound abysmal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    chained hype speech intros aside (which aren't common by any means) I'm loving it so far

I get to sneak around shanking orcs, then I upgrade abilities to shank orcs more effectively and move on to a new place to shank orcs in

This is pretty much what I was hoping for