As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    So... Who wants to play "I hope _______ is a Guest Character!"?

I'll go first.

Kylo Ren
    Haohmaru or Genjuro.
    A Dark Souls character.
    A Bloodborne character.
    A Space Marine.
    Sol Badguy.
    The woman from that game with the robot animals.
    A Darkstalkers character to painfully remind people Darkstalkers used to have its own game.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Well now that Noctis is in Tekken, we can absolutely expect a fists-only guest character in Soul Calibur right
    If they still got some of that Square Enix money it'd be pretty cool to see Aranea Highwind to double dip on FFXV

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well now that Noctis is in Tekken, we can absolutely expect a fists-only guest character in Soul Calibur right
    If they still got some of that Square Enix money it'd be pretty cool to see Aranea Highwind to double dip on FFXV

We already did before in SC2.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Dark Souls or Bloodborne characters would fit into Soul Calibur easily, and Namco being the publisher of the recent Souls games (but not Bloodborne...) might make that easier. There are a lot of iconic characters and armor sets from the games, which could further be adapted into Soul Calibur's ever-entertaining create a soul.

Dark Soul(s) Calibur would just be funny.

Link suddenly becoming a huge big deal again with BotW and Namco's substantial involvement with Smash as well as developing Pokken suggest that a Nintendo character could probably make it in more easily, but then there's that whole platform problem, which is also probably a problem with Bloodborne characters showing up.

But because Namco has always made a point of picking properties which are popular in the moment to use as guest characters, whether it's Spawn or Darth Vader, clearly there is only one logical choice for inclusion:
    Le2u5z9.png

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cervantes: ok, I got the Soul Edge

Spoder-Man: Web Ball! Reality Stone! Web Ball!

Cervantes: oh no

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Well I knew that but it would have ruined my shitty joke if I mentioned it

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I would like an M rated Soul Caliber with limb damage, please. Finally cross Soul Caliber with Bushido Blade. Not MK gore, but I would assume that their swords are sharp and that the characters are full of blood.

Well I knew that but it would have ruined my shitty joke if I mentioned it

I just want to know, in the history of major Tekken tournaments, especially in Tekken 7 with all its armor and rage arts and other nebulous low life situations, has a commentator ever seen Eddy survive improbably with mere pixels of life and declared on stream, "Gordo's alive?!"

I would like an M rated Soul Caliber with limb damage, please. Finally cross Soul Caliber with Bushido Blade. Not MK gore, but I would assume that their swords are sharp and that the characters are full of blood.

Hacking bone is hard work.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Hacking bone is hard work.

Astaroth has got you covered.

Astaroth01.png

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    soulcalibur 6 is a soulcalibur 1 remake. so they can throw out all of the new characters people complained about in soulcalibur 5. but that puts the soulcalibur 2 and 3 cast (tira, cassie, talim, etc) up in the air.

new mechanic in the trailer isn't soul charge, but some goofy auto-parry and counter attack called a reversal edge.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I will never be able to finish mission mode for any character in Marvel vs Capcom, I am just not fast enough to do those latter combos. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    If I can't dress up Sesuka like Princess Peach then no sale.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited December 2017
    Page- wrote: »
    soulcalibur 6 is a soulcalibur 1 remake. so they can throw out all of the new characters people complained about in soulcalibur 5. but that puts the soulcalibur 2 and 3 cast (tira, cassie, talim, etc) up in the air.

new mechanic in the trailer isn't soul charge, but some goofy auto-parry and counter attack called a reversal edge.

Ah, so that's how they avoid showing a gross old person.
    The soul does not still burn, but it's eternally retold, anyway.

PLA on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Woo hoo! So glad to be so wrong about the future of the series.

Trailer analysis: Okay, so Mitsurugi is super young again. This is obviously a soft reboot, full reboot or (at the very least) a flashback game. On one point in the trailer, they show bits of SoulCalibur V, IV and III; so I'm guessing (at the latest) this will be set around SoulCalibur II. But I'm guessing probably even earlier. Regardless, Taki is definitely back.

I'm guessing (meterless) guard impacts are back, since fans like them and one was shown off in the trailer. Super moves are probably in. I'm also hoping for some Tekken 7 style slow-mo during fights, which the trailer might have shown off.

The most important thing for me to do now is lower my expectations. I always imagine the next SoulCalibur game to be a combination of all the best parts of the previous games, and it's never ever been true. They're always good though! That's all I'm expecting.

Another thing I'm hoping is that SCVI follows Tekken 7's example of making most of the guest characters DLC. If they're as bad as Yoda, I'd prefer the option of not having them in my game at all.

Rex Dart on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    It could be a part of the story mode.

Namco are having their own event on the 15th so expect more footage that date.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I actually liked how older Mitsu looked.

Soft reboot means that Hwang might return that said there are some characters from 3,4 and 5 that have fans so it'll be interesting to see how and if they try to fit some of them in.

Dragkonias on
    It's good to recognise your own limits. If you can't make any more fun campaigns, just stick with the old one.

Even though it was probably the right decision to appeal to most fans, I wish Namco hadn't just abandoned all the characters from SCV.

Maybe it's just reboot fatigue, but I really admire series that take risks, make unpopular decisions, and then live (and try to minimize) the consequences. It's fine if it all ends up a giant clusterfuck. Lots of people helped make this clusterfuck. Don't undo all their hard work (and mistakes)!

I guess that sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I did genuinely want to see them try to make up for SCV. I wanted those undeveloped new character to win people over.

edited December 2017
    The very idea of an SC game after SC2 leaving out Ivy sounds unbelievable to me. For better or for worse she also sort of became emblematic of the series to me: really cool in the beginning, and increasingly ridiculous in ways which undermined the initial coolness with each successive iteration.

Hilde in SC4 was cool, though, even for all the tournament-level problems she seemed to cause.

l_g on
    l_g wrote: »
    The very idea of an SC game after SC2 leaving out Ivy sounds unbelievable to me. For better or for worse she also sort of became emblematic of the series to me: really cool in the beginning, and increasingly ridiculous in ways which undermined the initial coolness with each successive iteration.
    Ivy debuted in SC1, so I'm sure she'll be in this one. I mean, even if this new game is set during Soul Edge, she'd still be 24 years old.

Ivy is always going to be in SoulCalibur.

edited December 2017

BftS is going on right now.

EDIT: Where is the Soul Stone in the trophy?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I actually liked how older Mitsu looked.

Soft reboot means that Hwang might return that said there are some characters from 3,4 and 5 that have fans so it'll be interesting to see how and if they try to fit some of them in.

What I'd like to see is a Tekken style minimization of clones. I know that Mina/Kilik, Rock/Astaroth, A.Pat/Setsuka, and Sophie/Cassie/Pat/Pyrrha aren't actually interchangeable in their playstyles, but I'd rather have a pared down cast and more distinct characters.

E.g. If we get Hwang, I'd like Yun-Seong to just be a costume or something. Maybe a deluxe costume like John Stewart Green Lantern in Injustice, but still just one spot on the character select screen.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

BftS is going on right now.

EDIT: Where is the Soul Stone in the trophy?

Is it the one on the thumb that isn't lighting up?

Also, 2B for Soul Calibur 6!

edited December 2017
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    Ivy debuted in SC1, so I'm sure she'll be in this one. I mean, even if this new game is set during Soul Edge, she'd still be 24 years old.

Ivy is always going to be in SoulCalibur.

Oh right, I had somehow gotten Soul Calibur and Soul Edge mixed up in who had who!

But I guess I still wonder if she's going to look more or less ridiculous than her most recent version.

THE SOUL STILL BURNS

l_g on
  • CaptainBlueSkiesCaptainBlueSkies Registered User regular
    Anybody see the Soul Caliber 6 trailer? How are you feeling about it? I was never a big SC fan, but I know it's got a following.

I like Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur is a shitshow, and it's always going to be.

for those of you who still pay attention to this stuff, Knuckle Du took himself out of the Capcom Cup finals earlier in the week. He had a guaranteed spot, of course. last minute replacement and all that.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    stream
    Gameplay snippets coming out.

https://youtu.be/qI1lmLv3O-c

Mitsu has both stances again. Positive sign.

stream
    Dem boobs.

Ivy and Taki confirmed then.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

stream
    longer gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3QgeGWMQE

looks like just guard to me. equipment breaks are in, probably cosmetic like sc5. some sort of super or rage art as well.

stream
  • IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    Anybody see the Soul Caliber 6 trailer? How are you feeling about it? I was never a big SC fan, but I know it's got a following.

well it is the as I assume sonic fans feel.
    I am happy that soul calibur is coming back after a couple years. the question is always is it good? you start looking for things that will affirm that it will be the next SC2 or that it will be a piece of trash.

From what has been seen there are points that make me concerned but at the same time make me hopeful.

Sophie is back. Mitsu has relic stance again indicating some complexity. makes me hope for the best

then we have tons of sparkly shit that makes the moves harder to see. the sequence at 40-42 seconds is also concerning as that is 4AAA sophie sequence and mitsu doesn't seem to be blocking low before it is auto blocked. that looks dumbed down to an extreme.

I will await more details and try it out, but what i see is a mix bag so far

A tale of souls and swords.

Actually retold.

more gameplay and interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUUS-Smwc40&feature=youtu.be

roughly: "we wanted it to be soulcalibur 2 + soulcalibur 5 (and 4's) refinements and new mechanics."

which means you get free gis but also meter. soul charge is back, puts you into a temporary EX mode where your attacks gain new properties. like soul charge of the past, but now you probably don't lose it as soon as you take a hit (and definitely not when you land one).

bunch of new moves in there, especially for mitsu.

reverse edge is basically focus attack + clash. absorbs hits then puts you into a quicktime event where each player chooses to dodge, block, or attack. if they clash (pick the same option?) they pick again until someone wins.

new counter-hit property called lethal hit.

free meter during your last round like sc5

supers were there, didn't see ex attacks. probably didn't know any.

soul guage (aka guard meter) is also there. the director mentioned there would be a penalty for using reverse edge too much, and it doesn't cost meter. it does appear to cost soul guage, though. presumably, the guard break penalty is more in line with sc5, which is a free and potentially a combo, and not completely losing the round like sc4.

replays are back!

stream
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Soul Charge looks to put you in a special mode that drains meter.

So you won't lose it instantly but you won't just be able to throw it out either.

It activates some sort of meter but doesn't seem to cost the same meter to use. There's probably limits on it though.

stream
  • IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    god they need better people on the sticks. not one 236B from sophie. I did not get to see enough of her moveset. I want to see what new moves she got.
    I am again hopeful as it doesn't seem to be beam fest as it seemed earlier. but at the same time i am disheartened by the meter being back. tekken doesn't need meter gimmicks (on 90% of the cast) why are you try to shove it in soul calibur?

Honestly, I'll take meter over rage any day

stream