Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    What does that even MEAN?

And I thought Trump was buddy-buddy with NBC?

newsweek.com/trump-suggests-scarborough-murdered-intern-725653
    When Scarborough was a Republican congressman for Florida, his intern, Lori Klausutis, was found dead in his Florida district office. There is no proof that Scarborough had anything to do with it.

Klausutis, 28, was found behind a desk by two people visiting the congressman’s district office in July of 2001. An autopsy report found that she had been feeling unwell, and heart problems caused her to fall on her desk and hit her head. The medical examiner did not find signs of foul play.

This has been investigated.

There was some speculation he might have been having an affair with her, and he resigned in the middle of his term, but there was no indication he had anything to do with her death.

Trump bringing it up is really shitty.

Cog on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    For those keeping score, President Trump today has suggested a goverment sponsored boycott of a national news organization,

And not because they did anything horrible, either. Just because they were mean to him and hurt his widdle feewings.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    For those keeping score, President Trump today has suggested a goverment sponsored boycott of a national news organization,

And not because they did anything horrible, either. Just because they were mean to him and hurt his widdle feewings.

Worth mentioning that the mean things they did to him were just reporting the facts about his administration and the people in it.

None of the outlets he criticizes for “fake news” have a real agenda to overthrow his presidency like he would like people to believe. He just has a lifetime of shady associations and they are doing their actual jobs in investigating it.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »

Worth mentioning that the mean things they did to him were just reporting the facts about his administration and the people in it.

None of the outlets he criticizes for “fake news” have a real agenda to overthrow his presidency like he would like people to believe. He just has a lifetime of shady associations and they are doing their actual jobs in investigating it.

I think they do have an "agenda" of wanting him out of office, but IMHO that's fine, because he's a lunatic who should never be allowed within a sniff of power, and the First Amendment allows the media to have an agenda against the President if they want to.

• Options

I think they do have an "agenda" of wanting him out of office, but IMHO that's fine, because he's a lunatic who should never be allowed within a sniff of power, and the First Amendment allows the media to have an agenda against the President if they want to.

They very well might, but they aren’t making things up to advance that plot. They are just reporting the things he says and does.

• Options

They very well might, but they aren’t making things up to advance that plot. They are just reporting the things he says and does.

There is no question of that. I'm not denying it. Perhaps I should have mentioned it but it seemed obvious.

• Options

There is no question of that. I'm not denying it. Perhaps I should have mentioned it but it seemed obvious.

I meant mine as more of an “in addition” to your post, not to correct anything.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    While reputable journalists shouldn’t even want to attend the White House Christmas party it should come as no surprise that April Ryan wasn’t invited this year anyway, and neither was Chris Johnson of the Washington Blade.

Neither one suspects they were “overlooked.”

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The President is suggesting people sue a news organization

People who lost money when the Stock Market went down 350 points based on the False and Dishonest reporting of Brian Ross of @ABC News (he has been suspended), should consider hiring a lawyer and suing ABC for the damages this bad reporting has caused - many millions of dollars!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

People who lost money when the Stock Market went down 350 points based on the False and Dishonest reporting of Brian Ross of @ABC News (he has been suspended), should consider hiring a lawyer and suing ABC for the damages this bad reporting has caused - many millions of dollars!

FYI, the thing Brian Ross got wrong was that he reported that it was "Candidate Trump", not "President-Elect Trump" who told Flynn to contact the Russians.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Does that mean stockholders of companies who had temporary stock hits after he tweet-bullied them a year ago (when it still worked) have standing to sue Trump?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Of course not, that would be silly.

("When the President does it, it is not illegal.")

• Options
    Does that mean stockholders of companies who had temporary stock hits after he tweet-bullied them a year ago (when it still worked) have standing to sue Trump?

Japan and Australia should sue Trump, then. Because after it became clear that Trump was going to become president, the stock markets in multiple nations started dropping as soon as they opened in response to the news.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

The hypocrisy is never an accident. His mental illness causes him to get a thrill from it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

The hypocrisy is never an accident. His mental illness causes him to get a thrill from it.

You are assuming depth and self-awareness which may not actually be present.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Would the fact that the president said this not immediately prejudice any such suit and therefore make it virtually impossible to win?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Would the fact that the president said this not immediately prejudice any such suit and therefore make it virtually impossible to win?

Probably but it also makes it trivially easy to win against him if you can show losses from the other incidents. As Trump is admitting culpability/causality in this tweet. (Something doesn’t necessarily have to be true in a court of both sides accept it to be true

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Outside of perhaps malicious and purposeful manipulation, suing over supposed effect on the ebb and flow of the stock market is not a can of worms we want to open.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    wrong thread

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Outside of perhaps malicious and purposeful manipulation, suing over supposed effect on the ebb and flow of the stock market is not a can of worms we want to open.

Even purposeful manipulation makes no sense.
    Raising corporate tax -> government sued by the stock market

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Gonna throw protest news in here, jury just cleared the 6 J20 defendants on all charges!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Somehow, that is the first I've heard of that story.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Somehow, that is the first I've heard of that story.

Attacks on the first amendment only get covered when its kids on campus protesting a eugenicist.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Breitbart sure is having a lot of trouble with former contributors and endorsees turning out to be actual honest-to-god Nazis . . . I can't imagine why
    Breitbart executive chairman Steve Bannon has cut ties with Paul Nehlen, the far-right activist who is challenging Paul Ryan for his congressional seat and who has received extremely favorable coverage from Breitbart in the past.

"Nehlen is dead to us," said Arthur Schwartz, an adviser of Bannon's who is familiar with the former White House chief strategist's thinking.

Nehlen, who became a lightning rod for his anti-immigrant views, has escalated his rhetoric in recent days with a number of incendiary tweets. In one tweet, Nehlen proudly revealed that he is reading "The Culture of Critique," a book about Jewish culture widely considered to be anti-semitic. In other tweets, he has used the "#ItsOkayToBeWhite" hashtag . . . Schwartz told CNN the decision was made earlier this month after Bannon was alerted that Nehlen had appeared on a white nationalist podcast.

tumblr_mkbyozYhKw1qgvdf9o1_250.gif

Atomika on
  • Options
    I honestly think it has to be a different reason. No way they actually let someone go for being literally everything the alt-right is trying to be.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I honestly think it has to be a different reason. No way they actually let someone go for being literally everything the alt-right is trying to be.

They prefer a certain level of deniability for their bullshit.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Exactly. Dude is a Nazi, whereas Breitbart te al are alt-right White Nationalist Libertarian.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

You know, I’m not sure that old truism is valid any more after Trump, the Tax Bill and it’s included fake skinny repeal.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This isn't a thread to shit on Brietbart

Stay on topic

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    From the man himself:

Remember reading from posters here that "Trump's press secretary shouldn't treat the press like shit on the WH press briefings since the press briefings are how administrations shape public opinion and is to their benefit". BUT, in the current year, the administration already has a tool to shape public opinion that is given publicity by the MSM anyways: @realdonaldtrump . So, he doesn't need to play nice with the media and he can pick and choose who earns his favor.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    He 100% enjoys using Twitter, cause it at least allows him to think a bit before he says things. Every time he's at a pedestal and mic, he demonstrates just how little he knows about anything.

Also you coined that phrase and spread it, no one else did you asshat.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    He 100% enjoys using Twitter, cause it at least allows him to think a bit before he says things. Every time he's at a pedestal and mic, he demonstrates just how little he knows about anything.

Also you coined that phrase and spread it, no one else did you asshat.

No he didn't. That phrase was used to attack the propaganda articles that Team Trump used in their way to the WH, then Trump turned it around because the crisis of legitimacy of the MSM is still a thing.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh, well I'm wrong there.

But he still loves being a Twitter shitter.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Bezos needs to buy Twitter and then ban Donald Trump.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Look at that asshole trying to frame the use of Twitter as some sort of personal sacrifice.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    It still infuriates me how Donald "many people are saying" Trump has the audacity to complain about unnamed sources. I understand that it's projection, he knows that his "sources" are fake because he pulls lies straight out of his ass. So he thinks all unnamed sources are fake. But it still pisses me off.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Look at that asshole trying to frame the use of Twitter as some sort of personal sacrifice.

Nah, he's just sarcastically mocking the MSM. "I don't need you, neener neener".

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kick him off twitter and watch how quick he starts doing press conferences himself.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Kick him off twitter and watch how quick he starts doing press conferences himself.

More like watch how quick he goes on a tantrum and tries to have the CEO/Random employees from Twitter arrested and tried.

• Options
    edited January 2018

Not happening. The SV Tech Princes see themselves as the replacement of the media giants's position in society, having the President favor them for his communication is a benefit to that goal.

TryCatcher on