Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I just realized he switched to Wednesday because someone told him his base would be watching the football game on Monday and he'd get killed in the ratings.

Yeah, we all probably overthought that one....

AP says he has a seat reserved at the game tonight.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So, you know how Trump accidentally immediately agreed with Feinstein today about a clean DACA bill?

Guess who's releasing official transcripts, edited to remove things that might be embarrassing to Trump.

Politico writer

So add official transcripts to things that we can't trust this administration to put out without doctoring them.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, of course that means that the President's version is correct and that line was made up and inserted in the FAKE transcript by the ((globalists)) etc etc *barf*

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    OFFICAL TRANSCRIPT:

Feinstein: “The president is a fucking morMY FAVORITE STABLE GENIUS AND BEST FRIEND”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ... is doctoring official records illegal?

edit: I mean, haha, not like it matters to McConnell. But let's pretend that this shit is not normal, and all that.

Label on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Not seeing the relevance to thread topic of first amendment and freedom of the press.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Isn’t today alleged worst media awards day?

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

It’s been rescheduled for the 17th, so next week.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Supposedly, but our President's still asleep for another ten minutes.

Edit: or not?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Why would you present the fake media awards to the losers. Don't the winners of the worst media awards deserve the awards?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Y'know, if I was working in media and this administration singled me out for an Evil As Far As They're Concerned award, I'd probably have to prominently display it in a giant well-lit golden frame in one of the highest-trafficked parts of whatever building my offices were in. Few things say "doing your job correctly" quite as eloquently as winding up on an official enemy's list of an authoritarian government.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Y'know, if I was working in media and this administration singled me out for an Evil As Far As They're Concerned award, I'd probably have to prominently display it in a giant well-lit golden frame in one of the highest-trafficked parts of whatever building my offices were in. Few things say "doing your job correctly" quite as eloquently as winding up on an official enemy's list of an authoritarian government.

A real authoritarian government would have you killed, so you could put it on your gravestone, I guess. Putin does that a lot. Trump and the Republicans are wannabe authoritarians... for now.

• Options
    Wannabe authoritarians are authoritarians who just haven't gotten around to taking that next step, or who've been stymied for the time being somehow. This particular one's been talking quite a bit in the last several days about not just lawsuits but legislation to facilitate the government retaliating against critical press.

Believe the autocrat; he means what he says, even if he's having trouble pulling it off in the here and now.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Colbert's show bought a "for your consideration" billboard in Times Square

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    CNN and the Washington Post were probably the odds-on favorites for these "awards," that is until Wolff released his book.

That said, I'd argue that Trump's lawyer's recent lawsuit against Buzzfeed over the Steele dossier puts the website well within striking distance of the top spot.

I sure do love award season.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I do wonder how many days go by before he straight up cancels the thing "for the good of the country".

It's been pushed back twice so far, right?

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    could the media sue for defamation? that seems like an extremely clear cut case.

• Options
    Probably not. Defamation's hard to make stick in the US, there's additional protections for political speech, and the optics of WH-critical organizations suing the White House for damage would be pretty radioactive.

(Also, the defamation has to actually cause harm, and I rather expect getting one of Trump's "awards" will increase viewership and subscriptions for the recipients...)

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Good chance Monday passes and nothing happens.

Think someone told them that any government employee who takes part aside from the president runs the risk of violating the law?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Tronc has been fighting unionization attempts at the LA Times for a while now, even though C-level payouts have risen.

The LA Time's union organizing committee got their hands on new workspace proposals and oh man.
    There was a rooftop helipad that would drop off guests near a bar and event space. Ferro’s penthouse corner office, flanked by a “game room,” would have sweeping views of the Hollywood Hills. “Employees and VIP guests” could use a celebrity-designed test kitchen and coffee bar for, among other things, “impromptu content creation.”
    tronc laid off some employees—many others haven’t gotten raises in years—just months before SEC filings showed it contracting Ferro’s consulting firm for “certain management expertise” somehow worth $15 million over three years.

https://splinternews.com/la-times-owner-would-rather-have-a-helipad-for-executiv-1821972799

Final union vote tally is on the 19th

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tronc has been fighting unionization attempts at the LA Times for a while now, even though C-level payouts have risen.

The LA Time's union organizing committee got their hands on new workspace proposals and oh man.
    There was a rooftop helipad that would drop off guests near a bar and event space. Ferro’s penthouse corner office, flanked by a “game room,” would have sweeping views of the Hollywood Hills. “Employees and VIP guests” could use a celebrity-designed test kitchen and coffee bar for, among other things, “impromptu content creation.”
    tronc laid off some employees—many others haven’t gotten raises in years—just months before SEC filings showed it contracting Ferro’s consulting firm for “certain management expertise” somehow worth $15 million over three years.

https://splinternews.com/la-times-owner-would-rather-have-a-helipad-for-executiv-1821972799

Final union vote tally is on the 19th

This isn't on topic. This isn't a general media thread.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Maddow is suggesting that Trump falsified his statement of his doctor’s report of his “excellent health,” due to several irregularities in the release document, including misspelling the doctor’s name and wrongly stating his credentials.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Back on topic to the Government's attacks on media.

NBC reports that Jeff Flake is planning on denouncing the President's attacks on the media, comparing them to Stalin's declarations that his enemies were "enemies of the people"
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/flake-denounce-trump-media-attacks-stalinist-senate-speech-n837556

Meanwhile the Daily Show has taken out a full page "For Your Consideration" ad in the New York Times for Trump's "Dishonest Media Awards". And Full Frontal With Sam Bee, The Daily Show, and The Late Show have all made video adds attacking one another as being too truthful and claiming that they're the fakest news.

Javers is a CNBC Washington Correspondent

Videos

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I kinda dislike how much attention the media is giving to something so stupid.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I kinda dislike how much attention the media is giving to something so stupid.

While I do agree with you, I understand why they are doing it. It's so ridiculous that it gets attention, and also highlights the absurdity of the Trump administration. So from a business perspective it makes sense to lean into it for the ratings, but also from a reporting perspective it is still providing value since it is keeping front and center the absolute insanity of the people in charge of the country.

I kind of wish they had just ignored it, but if they aren't going to ignore it then taking it to absurd extremes is the next best thing I feel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't think the President of the United States declaring media organizations what is essentially enemies of the executive to be something that should be ignored.

This is absolutely something that should be talked about and pointed out as dangerous and fucked up.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I don't think the President of the United States declaring media organizations what is essentially enemies of the executive to be something that should be ignored.

This is absolutely something that should be talked about and pointed out as dangerous and fucked up.

I’m not satire is the best method this time, especially given that in a very real way all of these programs are competing to be the most noticed enemy of the president. It would be different if CNN and WaPo were doing this, that would be outside the norm and therefore more effective, but I don’t think these comedy show campaigns do much to really point out the problems here.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

I’m not satire is the best method this time, especially given that in a very real way all of these programs are competing to be the most noticed enemy of the president. It would be different if CNN and WaPo were doing this, that would be outside the norm and therefore more effective, but I don’t think these comedy show campaigns do much to really point out the problems here.

Realistically, what they're doing is just circular promotion for each other's shows, and it's something they've done before. The idea is that people that dislike the President see them as openly accepting his condemnation. And it works. The President's attacks on the media are so disliked and his attacks are so openly hypocritical that standing out there and saying "Yes, I am the person saying this man is an idiot" gets them great reviews.

Placing yourself in opposition to him has become an excellent marketing tactic. The most downloaded podcast network, Crooked Media, was built entirely around opposition to him and enshrined in the name they took from his speeches.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    This is basicly some of the top comedians in the nation staring the President of the United States in the eye, and saying:
    Come at me bro.

• Options
    I think we will find that the dishonest media awards keep getting pushed back and eventually cancelled. Because the "dishonest media" are being mean and making fun.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

They can mock the stupidity of the whole thing though. It's important to remember these things are both dangerous and stupid. Like Trump himself.

• Options
    I think we will find that the dishonest media awards keep getting pushed back and eventually cancelled. Because the "dishonest media" are being mean and making fun.

aren't they supposedly tonight?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

aren't they supposedly tonight?
    Wednesday 17th, I believe.

• Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So, Jim Acosta was removed from the Oval Office after demanding answers.

Original story
    Less biased version based on original

Not sure this was the best way to go, as the spin given is exactly what I'd expect (Acosta is badgering and grandstanding), but given this Administration's refusal to actually answer questions, I'm not sure that there's another option. Sitting quietly and hoping you're called upon, and then hoping you're actually answered, obviously hasn't worked.

And you KNOW some of the people in attendance will kowtow to the threat of being removed (because access!), rather than asking hard questions. So that'll be a bonus for Trump and cronies.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Maddow is suggesting that Trump falsified his statement of his doctor’s report of his “excellent health,” due to several irregularities in the release document, including misspelling the doctor’s name and wrongly stating his credentials.

Did she retract this, since it ended up not being true?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Or Trump just forgets because he has the attention span of a sugared-up toddler and/or the short-term memory problems of someone with early stages of dementia. When I saw that it was announced for over a week ahead, the first thing I wondered was, "Will he even remember it?"

• Options
    Well, officially he doesn’t have dementia! So there’s no excuse for conveniently forgetting the dishonest media awards!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    MorganV wrote: »
    So, Jim Acosta was removed from the Oval Office after demanding answers.

Original story
    Less biased version based on original

Not sure this was the best way to go, as the spin given is exactly what I'd expect (Acosta is badgering and grandstanding), but given this Administration's refusal to actually answer questions, I'm not sure that there's another option. Sitting quietly and hoping you're called upon, and then hoping you're actually answered, obviously hasn't worked.

And you KNOW some of the people in attendance will kowtow to the threat of being removed (because access!), rather than asking hard questions. So that'll be a bonus for Trump and cronies.

Someone has to ask the questions, and the President and press secretary have been hostile to reporters since the get go. No real reason not to keep this up. They don't get access, and the majority of info into this administration comes from leakers. The press pool is just not an asset with these people in charge.

Dedwrekka on