Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    And since it only takes 4 years to 6 months to fly from deep space to Earth with no one being able to find out what was going on they could have like... not done the whole citadel plot(Mass Effect 1), introducing a massive risk of them being found out for the most minor of benefits. And they could have just waited to make a human reaper (Mass Effect 2) because its not like the collectors were going anywhere and all you do is potentially tip off the galaxy and give them time to prepare...

And sure, you might argue that they didn't do anything to prepare anyway and still won. But like that only exists because not believing the hero is a necessary plot point to maintain the "small group RPG" theme that they had gone with. That isn't something that the reapers would have relied on... and even then that reliance would only exist on the possibility of failure of the main plans.... which were bad.

As said by htm
    You can definitely tell that BW didn't work out the entire plot of the trilogy beforehand.

You can see it in Mass Effect 1 a game clearly not designed with sequels in mind. The reapers were set up as an unknowable entity with unknowable goals... all you really know is that they come around every 50k years and you have to stop them. You know how but not why. This works great in a game where the threat ends and you never figure out why they were doing what they're doing but doesn't work if you're expected to figure out that goal (as it is pretty hard to make an unknowable goal).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    And since it only takes 4 years to 6 months to fly from deep space to Earth with no one being able to find out what was going on they could have like... not done the whole citadel plot(Mass Effect 1), introducing a massive risk of them being found out for the most minor of benefits.
    The original Citadel plot that was derailed by the protheans makes plenty of sense. Trick civilizations into using the big shiny thing as a central hub for their entire galactic government, then the keepers send their signal and suddenly all the reapers are on top of it and they disable the relay network while using the handily-centralized records of everything so they can systematically dismantle everything with no chance of an organized resistance.

But the protheans disabled the keeper signal and then I guess Vigil's stuff prevented the relays from being disabled because the reapers never tried for it when they finally got here.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2 was awesome, amazing, and fun. I've replayed it more than any other game and every time it's great. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Say what you want about the overall plot and nitpick it to death, I was 110% invested till the Harbinger sequence in ME3, when things did fall apart for me.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    And since it only takes 4 years to 6 months to fly from deep space to Earth with no one being able to find out what was going on they could have like... not done the whole citadel plot(Mass Effect 1), introducing a massive risk of them being found out for the most minor of benefits.
    The original Citadel plot that was derailed by the protheans makes plenty of sense. Trick civilizations into using the big shiny thing as a central hub for their entire galactic government, then the keepers send their signal and suddenly all the reapers are on top of it and they disable the relay network while using the handily-centralized records of everything so they can systematically dismantle everything with no chance of an organized resistance.

But the protheans disabled the keeper signal and then I guess Vigil's stuff prevented the relays from being disabled because the reapers never tried for it when they finally got here.

So the Citadel plot pre-prothean makes a lot of sense. But not the citadel plot post-prothean. There is no reason for sovereign to assault the citadel in order to activate it unless that is the only reasonable way into the galaxy. This is because once the reapers hit a mass relay they can simply take the network effectively instantly to the citadel. So if they have a reasonable way into the galaxy, say, "they can simply fly there in a handful of years", then they don't need to show their hand.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So uh

I might have bought Cora's Hoody along with a bunch of other swag, but now I have a problem

How the heck do you wash a garment with contrasting colors that has white right next to black without it ruining the lighter-colored parts?!
    At this point between SWTOR's virtual clothes and the Bioware branded real clothes, I have definitely given Bioware way too much money.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Color-safe bleach?

sig.gif
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Orca wrote: »
    So uh

I might have bought Cora's Hoody along with a bunch of other swag, but now I have a problem

How the heck do you wash a garment with contrasting colors that has white right next to black without it ruining the lighter-colored parts?!
    At this point between SWTOR's virtual clothes and the Bioware branded real clothes, I have definitely given Bioware way too much money.

But can you put a price tag on love?
    You absolutely can, and Bioware did.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And it's usually around $50 US plus shipping.

An ex that I lived with took a look at my... collection of hoodies and jackets, and eventually nicknamed where we hung everything up 'the armory'.

Luckily I got her into the series, so she had one to put up as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    After the n7 day sale my collection is definitely going to resemble an armory.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So uh

Well...

091490-600x600-A.jpg

they work.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

When I first played Mass Effect, my running theory was that the Citadel itself was a giant dormant reaper. It would have worked a little bit better for the series as a whole than “the Citadel is a gate, and also a catalyst,” I think.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    After the n7 day sale my collection is definitely going to resemble an armory.

Let's see...

Hoodies:
    -Spectre stripe (navy color)
    -2 Andromeda zip-downs

Shirts:
    -2 Kaiden stripe tee
    -2 Andromeda bi-color

(non-Mass Effect related clothes: 1 Ferelden Inquisitor crest tee (edit - whoops, I forgot the Ferelden heraldic tee))

Yeah...I could stand to get a few more...

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    *cough*

N7 socks
    N7 hoodie
    N7 tshirt
    N7 tank top
    N7 Shoes
    Paragon necklace
    Relay necklace
    N7 shoulder bag
    N7 sweat pants
    N7 Racerback
    N7 winter jacket

I might have a problem.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So uh

I was considering getting it even though it's not in guy's cut, but I wasn't sure what it'd look like with that cut in like L or whatever I guessed the equivalent to the men's small was. Design looks good though, a blue stripe on white is a nice follow-up to the red N7.

Lemme know how the quality is vs. the N7! I might end up gambling and getting one later anyway.
    And uh...Orlais hoody, Turian Armor hoody, N7 hoody, N7 performance hoody, N7 half-zip pullover, Ryder henley, Normandy sublimated tee. I've probably spent as much on Bioware clothes as games at this point.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    So uh

I was considering getting it even though it's not in guy's cut, but I wasn't sure what it'd look like with that cut in like L or whatever I guessed the equivalent to the men's small was. Design looks good though, a blue stripe on white is a nice follow-up to the red N7.

Lemme know how the quality is vs. the N7! I might end up gambling and getting one later anyway.
    And uh...Orlais hoody, Turian Armor hoody, N7 hoody, N7 performance hoody, N7 half-zip pullover, Ryder henley, Normandy sublimated tee. I've probably spent as much on Bioware clothes as games at this point.

Will do. The XL dimensions looked like they might work for me, but we shall see when I get it in my hot little hands. My own inventory will have to wait for me to get home so I can look up what I have in order.

It’s a lot. I think Bioware basically owned my clothes budget this year

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    *cough*

N7 socks
    N7 hoodie
    N7 tshirt
    N7 tank top
    N7 Shoes
    Paragon necklace
    Relay necklace
    N7 shoulder bag
    N7 sweat pants
    N7 Racerback
    N7 winter jacket

I might have a problem.

Renegade for Life!!

• Options
    N7 Tactical jacket
    N7 Elite armor stripe hoodie
    N7 Mk2 hoodie
    N7 faux leather jacket (I missed out on the real leather one, booo)
    N7 stripe t-shirt
    N7 day Andromeda Initiative t-shirt
    Cora's hoodie
    N7 moto jacket
    Commander Shepard Leggings
    N7 athletic pants
    N7 tank top
    N7 stripe scarf
    Relay necklace
    I Should Go mug
    Morality socks
    N7 armor socks

I think I have a problem. Send help.
    Don't send help.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    So uh

I went with an XL since the sizing approximately matches that of a men's small. It works out okay! The sleaves are a bit long and tend to bunch if you don't use the thumb holes, but the fit is otherwise fine. It isn't as thick as the N7 hoodie; it's more of a light duty sweatshirt.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    tumblr_p1qoy3kFOs1urv6dao1_1280.jpg

Kirkwallgirl wrote:
    have we talked about the framing and visuals in this scene during which you talk with Mordin about all the genophage and its effects and lives lost? HOW THE STAINS ON THE WALL LOOK LIKE BLACK WINGS ON HIS SHOULDERS???

I played the game through at least 6 times and never noticed that. Ho-oly shit.

The discounts at the Bioware Store have deepened. Looks like they're going to jettison most of the line. :(

Orca on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The discounts at the Bioware Store have deepened. Looks like they're going to jettison most of the line. :(

Sweetie, it's end of year sales. Everyone is doing 70%+ sales right now.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Sweetie, it's end of year sales. Everyone is doing 70%+ sales right now.

Here's hoping you're right. It feels like more items have disappeared after going out of stock this year than in years past.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'd be pretty surprised if they restocked the Andromeda stuff, and if they didn't restock the N7 stuff.

I want that Adromeda angl hoodie baad.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Since we're all going into our closets...

Navy N7 Hoodie
    Black N7 Hoodie
    Black N7 Hoodie (yes, 2 of them)
    Black/Grey N7 Hoodie
    (I could swear there's a grey one of these as well, but they're kind of all over the place)
    Black N7 Performance Hoodie
    Black N7 Jacket
    Renegade/Paragon socks
    N7 Socks (pretty sure these picked up a hole the first time I wore them :-/ )
    N7 Shirt
    Andromeda Initiative Shirt
    ME10 Celebration Shirt (yet to be delivered)
    Isaac Newton Is the Baddest Son of a Bitch in the Universe shirt
    N7 Mug (gets me through the work day)

Plus some other odds and ends from the Loot Crate box, including a couple of ME themed shotglasses, and another set that I had custom made (one for my Engineer Shep, and N7, off hand, gave away a bunch of others)

Between shipping and any potential duties at the border, it's just too expensive to order frequently, but I've made it work to the best of my ability over the last decade or so.

Plus N7 and AI challenge coins. But getting those made myself is kind of cheating in this regard.

Forar on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Probably a little too late, but it finally happened. ME2 and ME3 DLC bundles are for sale on Origin.

ME2 DLC is $24.99, while ME3 DLC is $29.99. Both are less than what you'd pay if you'd bought them piecemeal (with the funbux) before, but considering a lot of this DLC is at least ~5 years old... it might be a bit much since the base games are routinely on deep discount.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Looks like that long tail is finally dropping. Well, good on them for holding out this long for their good content that to this day I consider the gold standard (along with Fallout New Vegas's) for DLC.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    This will make recommending the games so much easier now

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Now they just need to do it with the Dragon Age 2 DLC.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Now they just need to do it with the Dragon Age 2 DLC.

Agreed. I was lamenting the fact that EA put everything Dragon Age related on the Origin store on sale except the DA2 DLC(and technically the DA:Origins DLC by itself, but the Ultimate Edition is on sale and that has the DLC so you can get that instead). Since the DA2 DLC is the only stuff I don't have it's like they're taunting me.

• Options
    I've been reading Nexus Uprising and been pleasantly surprised. It's not the greatest writing in the world, but it is competent and enjoyable in stark contrast to other Mass Effect tie-in books and comics I've tried to read.

It paints a picture of 3 people trying to save a collapsing colonization effort while everything goes wrong around them, but each of them with their own ideas of how best to accomplish that goal. Consequently, everyone is working at cross-purposes, concerning themselves with power bases, etc.

I'm enjoying it!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I completely forgot, but I bought the N7-10 year anniversary shirt as well as the N7 leather jacket (and it arrived like, 2 months after I paid for it). I quite like both! The jacket is synthetic leather ofc but all in all I enjoy the low key look (it's probably even more low-key than the hoodie)

I have a small gripe with it though, which is that the cut is slightly off, especially at the shoulders. The stitching for mine is a bit wonky at the top of the shoulder seam. I'm also fairly barrel-chested for an Asian lad but the back of the jacket feels slightly loose-ish.

Good to buy when it goes on sale though.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Glad to hear they're going out. I remembered my order and reached out to their customer service, apparently mine was held up as they had oversold the Tempest replica (which I had also snagged). So, after hunting for one... they're refunding me for that portion. >.<

Oh well, I was able to get one on eBay for basically the same price, shipping included, so as long as there aren't any snags there, it ends up about the same.

Until I saw the actual shipping notice, and it appears they forgot one of the 4 shirts I ordered (3 friends joined in on the order as well).

*sigh*

Hopefully they get that sorted out without another refund. I'd hate to have to tell one of the people in on the order 'sorry, you don't get one after all', let alone 3 months after we put the order in.

• Options
    I finished the Nexus Uprising, and I have to agree with someone else upthread that it's still a stretch to get from the Sloane Kelly we saw in the book to the Sloane Kelly we saw at Kadera Port. The other characters feel more true to the game. Regardless, it was still a competently written, fun book showing failed disaster management as people work at cross-purposes and repeatedly screw up, leading to the total clusterfuck we witness in-game.

There's also a really cute love letter to the fans at the back of the book.

I give it my recommendation for people interested in more Mass Effect, and that's something I've never given for any of the expanded universe content. Good job Jason Hough and K. C. Alexander.

• Options
    Is there a book for the quarian ark yet?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I completely forgot, but I bought the N7-10 year anniversary shirt as well as the N7 leather jacket (and it arrived like, 2 months after I paid for it). I quite like both! The jacket is synthetic leather ofc but all in all I enjoy the low key look (it's probably even more low-key than the hoodie)

I have a small gripe with it though, which is that the cut is slightly off, especially at the shoulders. The stitching for mine is a bit wonky at the top of the shoulder seam. I'm also fairly barrel-chested for an Asian lad but the back of the jacket feels slightly loose-ish.

Good to buy when it goes on sale though.

About the jacket... I don't know what "tailored to fit European racing style" means. Whatever size you normally get works fine?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Mostly it's just a slimmer cut and stops at the waist.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah it's supposed to be a slim fit basically, although judging from the model they used on the store page you'd think the jacket had the looseness of a garbage bag or something

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

Mass Effect: Annihilation releases on June 26, 2018

I was reading one of Valente's other books, Deathless, and, uh, it stopped being fun in a pretty big way. :bigfrown:
    But she's a great author! I'm still optimistic that it'll be the best piece of writing attached to the overall Andromeda story.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

Mass Effect: Annihilation releases on June 26, 2018

I was reading one of Valente's other books, Deathless, and, uh, it stopped being fun in a pretty big way. :bigfrown:
    But she's a great author! I'm still optimistic that it'll be the best piece of writing attached to the overall Andromeda story.

I'm interested in it.

Though a bit disappointing that the summary just comes right out and says that the crisis the ark is experiencing is
    a medical issue?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Garrus/Shepard Edge of Tomorrow:

tumblr_nmkgebDE2J1shc71ao1_r3_1280.jpg

And a shitpost for funsies:

tumblr_owcp2gZqV21u9ls47o1_500.png

tumblr_ovfciwgOrr1rwo4e2o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_ovfciwgOrr1rwo4e2o2_540.jpg
    tumblr_ovfciwgOrr1rwo4e2o3_540.jpg
    tumblr_ovfciwgOrr1rwo4e2o4_540.jpg
    tumblr_ovfciwgOrr1rwo4e2o5_540.jpg

Orca on
  • Options
    yes hello hi there I would totally be down for a femShep portrayed by Emily Blunt

This discussion has been closed.