As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give a Dime [Federal Budget]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    He can't get to 50 because some of the GOP think it doesn't fuck the poor hard enough

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Bloomberg reporter

The only reason the house managed to pass the bill, WITH the further fucking over of the ACA, was because basically Ryan promised the Freedom Caucus nuts military and wall bills.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well some are sick of having yet another CR and IIRC this fiscal year doesn't end till early fall and this would be CR #3 or #4. I'd agree there's probably a handful of idiots in the Senate GOP that either think a shut down helps them or that since their party has power, they should be allowed to fuck the poor over more.

Sounds to me though that Graham and Rounds are probably no votes. Graham isn't up this year for re-election. He doesn't have to worry about that until 2020. Rounds was elected last year. So both could decide they have little to lose by being no votes and can possible leverage for stuff they feel either better represents the interests of their voters or very likely a deal that better serves their interests. Also with the new pass at ACA, I'm wondering if that scared off Collins and Murkowski. I also would not be surprised if Cruz has expressed interest in another shutdown. I very much would not be surprised if there weren't the votes needed to hit 50, let alone 60 votes. As fucking short-sighted as McConnell is, he knows their message goes belly up if they can't hit 50 votes because the filibuster becomes irrelevant.

Though as others have said, these assholes could have used reconciliation for this, but it would have meant they couldn't loot the US to enrich themselves as much. Also if they did their damn jobs, they probably have the votes in both Chambers to make a Trump veto irrelevant. I'm sure the right-wing and oligarch propaganda joints will try really hard to pin this as being the democrats fault, but I think enough voters will remember come November that the GOP is to blame and they have no fucking excuses.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Murkowski has shown she's fine with picking at the edges of the ACA and Collins is willing to shut her eyes during the vote and go "They fucked it over when I wasn't looking!" I wouldn't count on them for anything.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Bloomberg reporter

The only reason the house managed to pass the bill, WITH the further fucking over of the ACA, was because basically Ryan promised the Freedom Caucus nuts military and wall bills.

Shows what suckers they are. They held out for House bills that are dead letter in the Senate.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Ugh if the Republicans succeed in blaming this on the Democratic party, I don't know.

(insert list of stupid nihilistic platitudes)

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Jephery wrote: »
    Ugh if the Republicans succeed in blaming this on the Democratic party, I don't know.

We're in a real weird place where Chris Cilizza is one of your smarter pundits this week. Punditry: always bad.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

"Succeed" is a very wishy-washy term to use in this context. Succeed in the eyes of who? The nation? Their constituency? Their opponents? Because the answers for those are very different.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Henroid wrote: »

"Succeed" is a very wishy-washy term to use in this context. Succeed in the eyes of who? The nation? Their constituency? Their opponents? Because the answers for those are very different.

I mean in an electoral sense - they defend their two house majority successfully in November.

Also in the narrative sense of "Democrats suck hahaha" in the media and public.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Vox reporter:

For the first time, I am actually willing to give Flake credit. Yes, this is correct.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I mean in an electoral sense - they defend their two house majority successfully in November.

Also in the narrative sense of "Democrats suck hahaha."
    That's a huge stretch to make to November but also outside of what we should be talking about.

• Options
    I'm not, but looking at what we know, it's also helpful to try and get a guess on who might vote not and what could lead to that. If it was a simple matter of getting to 50 total (with votes from the entire chamber), I think McConnel would have let this go through because then he could rail against a democratic filibuster. He isn't which tells me that there must be enough GOP holdouts, that this isn't hitting 50, even if we add in 7 democrats voting yes. That means we have at least 8 republicans that have told their leaders they are currently a no, and not just maybe, but a no vote.

Rounds and Graham are likely two of that group. Gardner is likely the third because Colorado has a significant Latino and Hispanic makeup that he likely has concluded he needs DACA to pass in order to be viable, so that's three. Cruz is probably for this stupid shit because it's Cruz, so there's four. After that point, I can't think of any obvious options. I believe there is some other nutjob that tends to go along with Cruz's bullshit, that isn't Rand, 5. Maybe Rand, but he is easy to bribe. Maybe Flake and Corker, since both are retiring, they feel they are in a position to try and force something better. I'm not saying either Collins or Murkowski deserve to be in office, this are shitty republicans, but the ACA stuff gives them an easy out and that CR doesn't do much for their interests; especially, since it was hobbled together to appease the most radical wing of the party, that they aren't party to (keep in mind like every asshole republican in the Senate, the tax bill likely lined their pockets).

I think this is less about putting pressure on Democrats and trying to figure out how to get to 50 votes. Problem is, since the GOP refuses to work with the other party, anything they do to get one group is likely to alienate the other group.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Good news!

Quinnipiac ran a poll asking who people'd blame if there was a shutdown just the other day.

Democrats won the plurality! (via Bloomberg reporter tweet)

But it's because the majority were split on whether Trump or Republicans were to blame. The percent that would blame Democrats also happens to be almost exactly where Trump's approval rating is.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Good news!

Quinnipiac ran a poll asking who people'd blame if there was a shutdown just the other day.

Democrats won the plurality! (via Bloomberg reporter tweet)

But it's because the majority were split on whether Trump or Republicans were to blame. The percent that would blame Democrats also happens to be almost exactly where Trump's approval rating is.

That is a bad poll question.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    More info on House short-term bill:
    The House approved a short-term spending bill Thursday to avoid a government shutdown, sending the measure to the Senate where Democrats said they have enough votes to block its passage.

House Republican leaders prevailed in lobbying the conservative House Freedom Caucus and defense hawks who demanded more money for the military in exchange for their votes.The bill passed 230-197.

[...] The short-term spending bill would keep the government open through Feb. 16 while extending the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for six years and rolling back several taxes in the Affordable Care Act. It does not include a solution for “dreamers,” the undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children, as Democrats have demanded.

The cynicism of refusing to extend CHIP and then trying to use it as a blackmail tool in this fight should be astonishing, but it's not.

Yep. At the same time... I'm okay with this language. 6 years of CHIP for less than a month CR until it comes around again? And losing some minor revenue generators that don't really matter? Sure.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    The problem with who blames who for the shutdown is that there is no guarantee it will last up to the election. Plus it's like the joke about wrestling with a pig: punchline, the pig (read GOP) likes it. It seems pretty obvious to me that the Dems take the House in November but don't take the Senate. Is a shutdown going to change that analysis? That said, I think we are rapidly approaching the point where neither side can compromise and this isn't a good thing. It will likely cause short term pain for people who depend on government services and have little impact on Dem chances in November.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    I'd be curious to see the math on how long we'd need to go on a chain CR before the money ends up not being enough to fund the things that should be funded. Obviously, there is a huge issue when things change on the ground and you have a scenario where some program really should get increased funding and others should be cut because there isn't a really need to keeping their funding at current levels, if at all. I'm pretty sure the current CR that ends at midnight, is keeping funding levels that were established at least a year ago (I want to say the democrats managed to force the GOP to accept a decent budget setup around this time of year).

I'm on the fence if what we have now is worth accepting or not. On one hand, it takes holding CHIP hostage away from the GOP for six years. On the other hand, seems pretty fucking stupid that it gives the freedom caucus concessions they shouldn't have. Shows how incompetent Ryan and McConnell are. Easiest way to deal with those fuckers is not giving them wins, when there is no need. I'm also concerned this might be the new GOP strategy going til the end of the year. Wait until the last minute and pass a CR that has something the GOP can't really afford to stonewall for years (say CHIP), but then chip away at stuff they don't like, that doesn't make them look super shitty to the uninformed.

I think I'd rather see a mostly clean CR that adds a few days on. I say mostly clean because CHIP should be passed. Make the new one last about a week and then sent Trump a DACA bill. Like seriously, send this fucker a bipartisan bill, see what he does. Take some god damn agency over being an equal branch to the executive branch. If he vetoes, then see if you can scrounge up the votes to override his bullshit. If you can't figure out what needs to be done to make it happen, if it's even possible in this current political environment. GOP is filled with fools if they don't think this shit won't bite them in the ass this November. Sure their base might love it, but everyone that isn't in the cult of Trump, Tea Party idiocy or Randian Wankfest circle, is getting fucking sick of this shit.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Medical device lobby is immensely strong.

MDMA represents implants, joints, pacemakers, and all sorts of other shit and they are cutthroat in their negotiations, and can be because their mostly old audience votes consistently.

Incredible they can spend this much influencing government but most of them can't get a decent infosec program going to save their (client's) lives.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The problem with who blames who for the shutdown is that there is no guarantee it will last up to the election. Plus it's like the joke about wrestling with a pig: punchline, the pig (read GOP) likes it. It seems pretty obvious to me that the Dems take the House in November but don't take the Senate. Is a shutdown going to change that analysis? That said, I think we are rapidly approaching the point where neither side can compromise and this isn't a good thing. It will likely cause short term pain for people who depend on government services and have little impact on Dem chances in November.

To be honest, I think we passed that months ago. Which isn't new in American politics, it's just worse this time and people have forgotten how in the recent past how untrustworthy the party as a whole is RE: Obama. That's what makes passing important bills like the budget terrifying, as so much rides on the Dems getting it right - as if such a thing were possible.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Medical device lobby is immensely strong.

MDMA represents implants, joints, pacemakers, and all sorts of other shit and they are cutthroat in their negotiations, and can be because their mostly old audience votes consistently.

What we've been seeing is that the lobbies aren't actually that strong, not enough to actually sway legislation when push finally comes to shove. AARP was supposed to be a kingmaker and they were broken easily and became a political nonentity within six months. They're all paper tigers. Given the choice between "literally saving my own life" and "hatin' those people" their constituents pick the latter, which is how we got into this situation in the first place. People don't care about lobbies and rational interests, just their mindless burning hatred and irrational desires to lash out. It doesn't matter that the leopards will eat their faces first.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This might be a pretty long shutdown, given how far apart the parties are today. Like 2013 shutdown long.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Question:

NPR reports that Pence is starting an overseas trip this afternoon. How does that affect things with the funding debate? Is there any chance it comes down to a 50/50 tie?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Question:

NPR reports that Pence is starting an overseas trip this afternoon. How does that affect things with the funding debate? Is there any chance it comes down to a 50/50 tie?

I doubt it comes down to a tie since they kind of need 60 votes. More interesting is that Trump is heading to Mar A Lago, so there's a pretty good chance that he'll be playing golf during a shutdown because that's always good optics.

• Options
    Question:

Unlikely it comes to that. The idea is the Dems would use the filibuster, which takes 60 votes.

If it actually came to a vote, you have McCain out for cancer treatment, so only 50 R Senators available.

That means you would need one Democrat to vote yes for every Republican that votes no just to reach 50.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Question:

They need a closure vote so they need 60. I suppose the actual vote could end up 50-50 but I do not know who the 10 senators who would vote for closure but not the bill would be.

So probably pretty safe all in all.

Edit: Beat'd hard.

Other note though: McConnell at least doesn't seem to be looking to push this through so much as blaming the D's for it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Question:

I doubt it comes down to a tie since they kind of need 60 votes. More interesting is that Trump is heading to Mar A Lago, so there's a pretty good chance that he'll be playing golf during a shutdown because that's always good optics.

They just announced that he won't be going to Florida until a bill passes. Oddly enough, that might make him put pressure on lawmakers to accept a DACA deal.

He will be missing a $100k per couple fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago otherwise.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I can't even anymore. Why is the government not going to be shut down? Because Trump is unwilling to go without golf outings for a week.

2018 you were supposed to be better than 2017. Stop it!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    So as an ignorant Canadian who somewhat intentionally avoids the news nowadays, I only learned of the possibility of this shutdown earlier this morning.

And then I popped on over to CNN.com and the headline just read "WASHINGTON IS BROKEN" and I figure I'm pretty much caught up on the subject now.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Question:

They just announced that he won't be going to Florida until a bill passes. Oddly enough, that might make him put pressure on lawmakers to accept a DACA deal.

He will be missing a $100k per couple fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago otherwise.

He'll spend a bit longer there, get bored and go to Florida asap then blame the Dems when things don't get moving. Patience and hard work are not Trump's strong suits.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Trump working past 3 on a Friday?

thats madness

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This might be a pretty long shutdown, given how far apart the parties are today. Like 2013 shutdown long.

It all depends on what President Trump Stephen Miller will accept and sign. Congress could very likely come to a compromise that the President won't support.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    They just need ot ignore Trump. He'll sign anything.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    So as an ignorant Canadian who somewhat intentionally avoids the news nowadays, I only learned of the possibility of this shutdown earlier this morning.

And then I popped on over to CNN.com and the headline just read "WASHINGTON IS BROKEN" and I figure I'm pretty much caught up on the subject now.

Yeah you pretty much got all the important information for now

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I honestly would not be surprised if a shutdown happens entirely by accident. Like, Trump just doesn't remember to sign a CR before midnight level of accident.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I can't even anymore. Why is the government not going to be shut down? Because Trump is unwilling to go without golf outings for a week.

2018 you were supposed to be better than 2017. Stop it!

I wouldn't put it past Trump to have the state of mind that "if the government shuts down, I'm on vacation, right?"

• Options
    I'm really getting annoyed with the talk of "Whose to blame for the shutdown" going around that I'm seeing that no one seems to remember that the only reason we're even in this position in the first place is because Trump abruptly ended DACA without thinking, creating a deadline.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I'm really getting annoyed with the talk of "Whose to blame for the shutdown" going around that I'm seeing that no one seems to remember that the only reason we're even in this position in the first place is because Trump abruptly ended DACA without thinking, creating a deadline.

Also dicking around with CHIP funding. Can't forget about that.

• Options
    CHIP funding alone wouldn't cause a shutdown.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Team Trump seem to be willing to eat the shutdown since federal workers vote Dem so screw them. From that point of view, the deal where Trump gets The Wall and some other stuff in exchange of DACA is the one that makes sense, specially because the line is "Dems want to shut down the goverment over DACA!". So, just gotta wait until Dems blink first.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah and there was a bi-partisan deal that Trump blew up. And now McConnel can’t even get to 50 votes as a result, and I don’t blame them for holding out for a bipartisan deal. This is 99% on the president, who both created and is prolonging this crisis.