As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] Morrowind! Jade Empire! Panzer Dragoon! Oh and the best version of RDR!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Submerged is ok I guess. I played it on PS4, but wasn't interested enough to finish it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    So if you own the preview to Subnautica, does that mean you'll also own the full game when it comes out, or do you have to buy the game again?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I believe that's how it works.

Edit: That is, buying the game preview should net you the full version.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    How is Subnautica right now? I read something about framerate issues from a while back, has that been resolved?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    My memory of Battle Chasers was he put out like 8 or 9 issues in three or four years and then fucked off to make video games - he and some other guy formed the studio that made Darksiders after working at a few places in between. Red Monika and her chest was about the only stand out part of the book, if memory serves.

I don't much care about boobplate style armor, it has its place in certain genres but the 90s in comics had some just terrible costumes that never should have happened. (Like over in the fantastic four.)

There as a rumor/story that Joe worked on the Ultimates and Jeph Loeb just let him draw whatever he wanted and then wrote the story to suit the art.

Jeph Loeb probably started that rumour in order to cover for how awful Ultimates 3 was.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    How is Subnautica right now? I read something about framerate issues from a while back, has that been resolved?

Unsure about the XBone version, but PC seems to have been smoothed out. Been watching Jacksepticeye's playthrough on Youtube, and he's pretty happy with the framerate performance compared to the early access version.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Its a little funny that I'm almost equally excited about the old Xbox One as I am for the new X in a way.

My old Xbone isnt going to be gathering dust in some corner, it will be put to use along with my old Sony 46' TV in the bedroom.

Going to build something that can hold up the TV just over the front display of this thing and get back to exercising daily.

TechRec700-2.jpg

Finally I can get this huge monstrosity of a fitness machine out of the living room.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Sirialis wins the award for best repurposed video game console.

For the life of me, I cannot into handheld consoles, which is a major reason I'll probably never buy a Switch. But if I had my own stationary bike (as oppose to one in the workout room), it'd increase that likelihood from "never" to as much as "probably not". Exercising is so boring.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

For the life of me, I cannot into handheld consoles, which is a major reason I'll probably never buy a Switch. But if I had my own stationary bike (as oppose to one in the workout room), it'd increase that likelihood from "never" to as much as "probably not". Exercising is so boring.

know what's super cool about the switch? it's designed to plug into a TV! and runs in a higher resolution when it is plugged into a TV!

My switch has literally never been in handheld mode in it's life and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

know what's super cool about the switch? it's designed to plug into a TV! and runs in a higher resolution when it is plugged into a TV!

My switch has literally never been in handheld mode in it's life and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

You're the first person I've ever heard who seldom or never uses the Switch as a handheld. :biggrin: I'm not even exaggerating a little.

Hell, I don't know anyone in person who doesn't use it overwhelmingly as a portable because, as they would describe it, it's not that great in the dock (especially those games that do run at 1080p and end up with worse performance for it).

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Saw there was a trial for Subnautica, started playing and was pretty arbsorbed in building stuff.

Finally found some Quartz I needed to build a Repair Tool and found a wreckage with new schematics, on my way back to the Pod to use the build machine.

And then, immediately after - TRIAL EXPIRED.

I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, saw some minor hiccups during an hours worth of playtime, not enough to discourage me.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I'm enjoying Subnautica. It's a lot of fun, but I wish they told you more, like how to get rid of items in your inventory. It's a lot of "Here ya go, have fun." It's a beautiful environment and I haven't had too many framerate issues. It'll be cool to see what they've done once the final version comes out.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I like that its totally hands off.

Every little step feels like a victory and it isnt too obtuse (Hi Astroneer trial)

If you highlighted items in your backpack cant you just press something to "throw away"? Alternatively, build either a water locker or one to put inside your pod.

Edit: One thing that was a little odd, was that the descriptions on everything were... Tiny and a little hard to make out, I hope there is a way to make that easier to read.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I like that its totally hands off.

Every little step feels like a victory and it isnt too obtuse (Hi Astroneer trial)

If you highlighted items in your backpack cant you just press something to "throw away"? Alternatively, build either a water locker or one to put inside your pod.

Edit: One thing that was a little odd, was that the descriptions on everything were... Tiny and a little hard to make out, I hope there is a way to make that easier to read.
    Well, I felt stupid trying to figure out how to get water, because I couldn't find salt anywhere. When I accidentally snagged one of those purple fish that look like lungs (bladderfish), that's when I figured out I could use them.

To throw stuff away, you have to put it in your person, jump into the water, open your inventory, and then use RT to discard. It wasn't straight forward. Once you get past the silly things like that, then it gets real fun.

Also, there's no auto-save, so make sure you manually save often, lest you lose a ton of work.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    I found a bunch of salt at the bottom edge of the deeper area next to those ... Err, vine trees.

• Options
    edited January 2018

You're the first person I've ever heard who seldom or never uses the Switch as a handheld. :biggrin: I'm not even exaggerating a little.

Hell, I don't know anyone in person who doesn't use it overwhelmingly as a portable because, as they would describe it, it's not that great in the dock (especially those games that do run at 1080p and end up with worse performance for it).

Oh I've definitely heard from other people who have a Switch but aren't into portable gaming but it definitely ignores a use case for the device. I've have both a DS and a 3DS I never use so now at least I have a nintendo portable console I actually do use!

edit - also i dunno, every game seems to run great in dock mode for me. I got old and tired though so as long as it works and seems fine I can probably just easily ignore any slight muddiness or hitchiness in favour of playing fun nintendo games

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Oh I've definitely heard from other people who have a Switch but aren't into portable gaming but it definitely ignores a use case for the device. I've have both a DS and a 3DS I never use so now at least I have a nintendo portable console I actually do use!

edit - also i dunno, every game seems to run great in dock mode for me. I got old and tired though so as long as it works and seems fine I can probably just easily ignore any slight muddiness or hitchiness in favour of playing fun nintendo games

Eh, that's fine, you're enjoying it and that's what matters--it's not hard to find examples of games that run slightly worse in docked mode than portable (I mean, I do follow DF after all). Plus I'm not racing to play the worst version Doom--the Switch has strong features, but in my own experience, the docked mode is not the way to enjoy them, an opinion I informed by being shown the Switch by people who most enjoyed it. :?

EDIT: Also, I don't really follow Nintendo franchises anymore. Part of getting older I suppose. I bought an SNES Classic so I could play the ones I did want to play.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Not a fan of Horizon 3 butting into the middle of my gaming session with trailers for the Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels expansions and then taking me to screens to "buy now!". This was shortly followed by a video for Forza 7 that took me a minute to realize it was a video for Forza 7 and not a cutscene in Horizon... then it took me to a screen with 3 "buy now!" options. A little put off by that, but whatever, I guess.

The game itself is just fun and ridiculous, though. I had to race a freight train! I managed to beat it by like, .200 seconds... whew!

Also @Zilla360 , your driveatar person is a beast. Working my way up through increasing the AI difficulty, but it doesn't matter what setting I'm on, I'm usually battling you for 1st place the whole race. There was even this long rally thing that you won by almost 30 seconds over second place...

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I guess there's some games you can't gift to others? Tacoma doesn't have a "buy as gift" option. Anyone know why?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    So this is kind of a big deal, at least for people who use Game Pass: Xbox exclusives will appear on the service, starting with Sea of Thieves.

I have no problem saying that Game Pass is probably the best subscription service of its kind out there (not that there's a lot of competition--and it's also only on Xbox). On the other hand, I don't use it, because I'm one of those outdated dinosaurs who still buys physical copies of games he wants, sometimes even pre-orders them, and then sometimes sells them back. I don't even pay for Netflix. But if are subscribing to Game Pass, this sounds pretty great--especially if you're looking into having it serve as the majority of even entirety of your gaming library.

• Options
    For those of you out there that wanted to play Prey, but didn't like the price tag, it's now available for download for $12.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Prey for $12 is a great deal. Helped scratch that System Shock itch for sure

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Damn, I wish I got that when I first heard of it. They appear to just offer the physical version on sale, and now they’re out.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    So this is kind of a big deal, at least for people who use Game Pass: Xbox exclusives will appear on the service, starting with Sea of Thieves.

I have no problem saying that Game Pass is probably the best subscription service of its kind out there (not that there's a lot of competition--and it's also only on Xbox). On the other hand, I don't use it, because I'm one of those outdated dinosaurs who still buys physical copies of games he wants, sometimes even pre-orders them, and then sometimes sells them back. I don't even pay for Netflix. But if are subscribing to Game Pass, this sounds pretty great--especially if you're looking into having it serve as the majority of even entirety of your gaming library.

I was just coming in here to see if anyone had posted it yet, it's fucking nuts. I never would have expected Microsoft to do something this aggressive. They can have my Game Pass money now, sure.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Peen wrote: »

I was just coming in here to see if anyone had posted it yet, it's fucking nuts. I never would have expected Microsoft to do something this aggressive. They can have my Game Pass money now, sure.

Yeah, this is nuts. I have SoT preordered, but this is making me think I should cancel that and just get Game Pass. Same access to the game (plus a whole bunch of other games) for less money? Crazy.

For those who have it, how does Game Pass work on a home console? I've got two xbones, and my son plays on the 'home' console so I only have to buy games once and we can both play at the same time. Does Game Pass work the same, or is it tied to the account only? That's really the only downside I can see to this, cause we were looking forward to sailing together. Of course, two Game Pass subscriptions is probably still cheaper than buying the game once...

Edit:
    So a little research and this says it is possible:

But then I saw a couple other posts from people saying it doesn't work currently. If anyone has tested, would definitely appreciate the confirmation.

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    My buddy and I do the Home console trick thing (each in our own houses) and he has the Gamepass and I can access it on mine.

I haven't tried to actually play it, but I can definitely access it.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m gonna buy a year of game pass if they offer that option. What they’re doing is much is beyond what I expected.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    My buddy and I do the Home console trick thing (each in our own houses) and he has the Gamepass and I can access it on mine.

I haven't tried to actually play it, but I can definitely access it.

Awesome, ty! Guess it's off to the Microsoft web site for me now.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m gonna buy a year of game pass if they offer that option. What they’re doing is much is beyond what I expected.

Not yet, though 12-month subscription cards are a thing (Major Nelson gives them away on his live podcast--3 of them last time). I don't think they'll offer it discounted from the $10 a month price, but hey, I could be wrong.

For the month I had it, I liked it as much for the discounts--I do like gradually building up my library, especially since Microsoft's policy orients towards ensuring your digital purchases are available for the long term, unlike Sony and Nintendo.

• Options

Eh, that's fine, you're enjoying it and that's what matters--it's not hard to find examples of games that run slightly worse in docked mode than portable (I mean, I do follow DF after all). Plus I'm not racing to play the worst version Doom--the Switch has strong features, but in my own experience, the docked mode is not the way to enjoy them, an opinion I informed by being shown the Switch by people who most enjoyed it. :?

EDIT: Also, I don't really follow Nintendo franchises anymore. Part of getting older I suppose. I bought an SNES Classic so I could play the ones I did want to play.
    part of growing older is not wanting to play Mario Odyssey?

Ok then

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Ok then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJ-ZLdrTwY

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    because this argument is so stupid, from digital foundry itself:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-super-mario-odyssey-pushes-switch-to-its-limits
    But the key takeaway is that for the vast majority of gameplay, Super Mario Odyssey's performance level is buttery-smooth in both docked and portable mode. The price of 60fps in this instance is clear - Mario relies on an adaptive resolution, some draw distance tricks when lots of objects are used, loss of animation frames at range and more.
    But it's the solution for mobile mode that we find most fascinating. When presented with a 50 per cent drop in GPU power undocked, a range of techniques are deployed to keep the game running at 60fps while keeping the vast bulk of the game's visuals intact. Lower precision shadows are in play and distant LOD detail is simplified, and then there's the 640x720 frame interpolation technique. In combination, all of these cutbacks would be noticeable on a conventional TV, but on a 6.2-inch mobile screen? It works, and you don't feel like you lose much moving from your HDTV to mobile mode. Crucially, you retain that 60fps action. In fact, our tests suggest that Super Mario Odyssey's rare performance dips in docked mode are actually lessened when gaming on the go.

so ok, very very very occasionally the game gets a tiny hitch when docked, but also looks way better the entire time? uhh seems like the way the game was designed to be played to me!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also @Zilla360 , your driveatar person is a beast. Working my way up through increasing the AI difficulty, but it doesn't matter what setting I'm on, I'm usually battling you for 1st place the whole race. There was even this long rally thing that you won by almost 30 seconds over second place...
    No idea how that happened, I'm not even that good at racing games. :lol:

• Options
    edited January 2018

Ok then

Okay, we are now one plastic tricycle away from "Stop not liking what I like!" :lol:

Pretending my opinion matters--which I doubt it does--I think it's a fine game. I'm probably never going to play it again because I'm not interested in the franchise anymore (the "3D" titles simply never grew on me). Twenty years ago, I felt differently. People change over two decades, shocking, I agree.

Ok then? 8-)

EDIT: Now, if someone wants to lend me a Switch, the way I've been lent a PS4 for Super Robot Wars V...well, obviously, I'm not going to play any multiplatform titles on it. And I liked Horizon more than BotW...Mario seems like the logical answer. Maybe that's why I put my money into my cute little SNES Classic instead.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Also Zilla360 , your driveatar person is a beast. Working my way up through increasing the AI difficulty, but it doesn't matter what setting I'm on, I'm usually battling you for 1st place the whole race. There was even this long rally thing that you won by almost 30 seconds over second place...

I'm not saying I've resorted to dirty racing to beat your demon racer, but I'm not not saying that either... :ar:

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Also Zilla360 , your driveatar person is a beast. Working my way up through increasing the AI difficulty, but it doesn't matter what setting I'm on, I'm usually battling you for 1st place the whole race. There was even this long rally thing that you won by almost 30 seconds over second place...

I'm not saying I've resorted to dirty racing to beat your demon racer, but I'm not not saying that either... :ar:

Major Nelson's driveavatar is increasingly the bane of my existence. At least in FM7's hatchback races.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

ok so this is some pretty major news. throw in the discount you get from being a Game Pass subscriber and i think you've got a perfect 'try before you buy' system on MS's in house efforts. have been thinking about giving Game Pass a try for a few months now and this definitely makes me all the more interested.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    lol, people are always allowed to like things that they like, the argument of "Nintendo games are only for kids" is silly though and what I take issue with. If that's not actually what you are saying though then that's a different thing (but maybe don't equate growing up with not liking mario! ;) )\

edit -

WAIT A SECOND, I JUST REALIZED I'VE BEEN ARGUING WITH THE PSFRO PERSON WHO REFUSES TO JUST type PS4PRO

well you're helpless, screw this entire thread :)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    lol, people are always allowed to like things that they like, the argument of "Nintendo games are only for kids" is silly though and what I take issue with. If that's not actually what you are saying though then that's a different thing (but maybe don't equate growing up with not liking mario! ;) )\

Good thing I never made that argument, and instead was talking about my own tastes changing.
    [Horrifying Realization]

And don't you forget it. 8-)

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Thought I was in a Nintendo thread for a bit there

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
This discussion has been closed.