As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NFL] officially blows ass.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    But what about the Arena Football League and their 4 teams, 2 of which have the same owner?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    The XFL was fun and absurd once before and it failed miserably, and now pretty much everything that made it “extreme” are the kinds of things we know lead to traumatic CTE.

The only thing the XFL can do now is fail even harder than before.

The XFL as NFL's (even unofficial) AAA farm league makes a lot of sense

Does it really though? The players who are almost good enough are already on a practice squad, or playing in Canada. I don’t know how effective the XFL would be as a farm league if people playing there are just going to get beat to shit before they can make it to the NFL.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    if the XFL goes for high school kids who want to skip the NCAA

it would be funny to see that battle

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    well everyone hates the NFL

so maybe the XFL can fix a lot of things

who knows
    This is untrue.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

who knows
    This is untrue.

catch rule

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I welcome back the XFL

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Do you want brain trauma, misogyny, forced nationalism, swear words, and Johnny Manziel?

The XFL has you covered.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Do you want brain trauma, misogyny, forced nationalism, swear words, and Johnny Manziel?

The XFL has you covered.
    Outside of the first point on that list (which is just inherent with football at this point), I think making the assumption that the XFL from the 90s is just going to be ported straight over into the modern day is a false assumption.

I don't see anything wrong with putting Johnny Manziel on a football field. Give some of those NFL players a second chance. Hell, I could see the XFL putting Kapernick back out there which would be pretty cool to see.

I'm curious to see exactly how this new football league will be marketed and where they see themselves in the bigger picture.

• Options
    If you think Kaepernick would have anything to do with Vince McMahon, or vice versa, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Trump will endorse it, and that will give it some support from his base, and then it'll probably run a very similar course to the XFL.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »

who knows
    This is untrue.

catch rule
    compelling argument

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    In all honesty, I have zero interest in the XFL.

There's a dearth of talent in the NFL right now so I don't even want to see who they get to play in the XFL

• Options
    edited January 2018
    If its like a minor league NFL equivalent to AAA baseball, then I'd be interested.

I have lots of good memories going to see our local AAA baseball team when I was younger. We didn't have a professional team nearby nor the money to go to pro games. Despite the talent being lacking, it was still fun to go and experience.

Its the same way with football right now. I don't have a pro team nearby nor the money to go to pro games regularly. But I'd love to be able to see a AAA level football team in my area and would go pretty often.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Apparently trademarks are taken out for the UrFL.

So yes, it’s as unsubtle and racist what the motivation is as you’d think.

It’s YOUR football league, unlike that one where black people can protest and you can’t even try to give a guy a traumatic brain injury on purpose.
    The ACTUAL smart thing to do here would be to try to take on the NCAA and attract top prospects with 6 figure salaries straight out of high school.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Spoiler ghosted!

• Options
    urrfel

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    UrFL is the dumbest name for anything that I've ever heard and I will cry laughing if it is real.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I assume this is the Ur-Football League, that which plays in eldritch space underneath a dark pantheon of Lovecraftian horrors.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    urrfel

If we can get Danny Wuerffel as commissioner I think I can get on board with this.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I assume this is the Ur-Football League, that which plays in eldritch space underneath a dark pantheon of Lovecraftian horrors.

anu8xjphgwu9.png

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Just straight up come out and admit it. "This is gladiator football. There will be blood. People will get hurt and injured. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What if Bloodbowl but in real life

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    What if Bloodbowl but in real life

u8wjaiazz9qy.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So has the conference started? I'm just seeing a "Press Conference Will Begin at 3PM Est" on the website. DId I miss something or it is really 30 minutes late?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So has the conference started? I'm just seeing a "Press Conference Will Begin at 3PM Est" on the website. DId I miss something or it is really 30 minutes late?

You missed the press conference.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Yeah - just found it.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Lots of things I didn't want to hear:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020
    WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon announced Thursday he is giving a professional football league another go.

It will be called the XFL, the same name of the league McMahon and NBC tried for one season in 2001, but it won't rely on flashy cheerleaders and antics as its predecessor did, he said.

McMahon said he is the sole funding source for the league, which is slated to begin in January 2020. Its first season will have eight teams around the country playing a 10-week schedule. The initial outlay of money is expected to be around $100 million, the same amount of WWE stock McMahon sold last month and funneled into Alpha Entertainment, the company he founded for the project.

"I wanted to do this since the day we stopped the other one," McMahon told ESPN in an exclusive interview. "A chance to do it with no partners, strictly funded by me, which would allow me to look in the mirror and say, 'You were the one who screwed this up,' or 'You made this thing a success.'"

One mark of the new league, McMahon said, will be faster games. The ideal running time, he said, would be two hours.

As for the timing of the announcement, two years before the league's debut, many might point to McMahon's relationship with President Donald Trump, who this fall criticized the NFL for allowing its players to kneel and sit during the national anthem. McMahon said players in his league will not be given the forum to take a personal stance while on the playing field. McMahon's wife, Linda, heads the Small Business Administration in Trump's Cabinet.

"People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."

McMahon said being the only owner of all of the teams will allow him to do whatever he wants.

"I can say, 'Here are the rules, and as long as you are playing football in the stadium for us, you follow these rules.'"

McMahon also said he would preclude any player with a criminal record, which would disqualify former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

"We are evaluating a player based on many things, including the quality of human being they are," McMahon said. If you have any sort of criminal record or commit a crime you aren't playing in this league."

One of the main problems with the ill-fated previous XFL was timing -- the first games were played a year after the concept was announced. Adding an additional year, McMahon said, will allow for a better product. Teams will be formed in 2019.

"It's extremely important that we have time to get together and get them practicing so we can have a quality product," McMahon said.

One of the reasons McMahon thinks he will be able to succeed 19 years after the league first failed is because, he said, television ratings no longer dictate success.

"To me the landscape has changed in so many different ways," McMahon said. "Just look at technology and companies like Facebook and Amazon bidding for sports rights. Even if ratings go down, there's no denying that live sports rights continue to be valuable and continue to deliver."

One of the ways McMahon envisions enticing major media partners is to offer them something the NFL hasn't: more creative feeds of the same game.

"I don't think people want to see the same thing when they're streaming as they see on television," McMahon said. "That's boring. I think fans want it shot in a totally different way, and I think there's an immersive opportunity that's more interactive to the game."

McMahon said seeing the NFL's troubles, which included a second consecutive year of a decline in ratings, didn't have to do with the timing of his announcement.

"The start of this league has nothing to do with the NFL's troubles," McMahon said. "What has happened there is their business, and I'm not going to knock those guys, but I am going to learn from their mistakes as anyone would if they were tasked with reimagining a new football league."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told ESPN the league will have no comment on McMahon's upstart league.

Over the next couple of months, the league will announce the eight cities, expected to be large and medium-sized markets, where the teams will play. Team names will follow.

Then will come selection of players for the 40-man rosters. Salaries will be determined, but McMahon said players will make more money for winning.

"To me that's common sense," McMahon said. "Everyone in America lives when they perform, they get a raise or bonus. That's capitalism."

Although the season is only 10 weeks, McMahon said the contract will be a 52-week job so players can work themselves into the communities where they play.

It is not clear whether star players, should they garner national attention, will be able to jump to the NFL.

"One thing we are not is a development league for the NFL," McMahon said.

McMahon said he decided to go with the XFL name even though his new league won't provide the same gimmicks that were both a hallmark and a black mark on the original league.

"Quite frankly I looked at a number of things, but nothing resonated like the XFL. There's only so many things that have 'FL' on the end of them and those are already taken. But we aren't going to have much of what the XFL had, including the cheerleaders, who aren't really part of the game anymore. The audience wants entertainment with football, and that's what we are going to give them."

That means popular names such as 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow won't be given priority just because they are marketable. Everyone will come in on an even playing field, McMahon said.

"Maybe in a certain city having the old college quarterback would make sense, but only if he's the best option," McMahon said. "It's the wrong thing to do just for marketing."

I mean, yay for no "gimmicks", but boo for everything else.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I'll go out on a limb and say this thing never actually happens, or he goes completely bankrupt within a year.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Oh boy football but more Republican. Thanks vince

• Options
    "The NFL is flagging! Time for MORE FOOTBALL!"

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    All I remember about the XFL is no fair catches on punts. I'm pretty sure the original business plan was just a single piece of paper that said

1) no fair catches
    2) ????
    3) profit!

But I'm sure this time it will be different!

• Options
    One thing that could help the XFL this time is the huge money maker that fantasy football has become. If they build from the ground up to be super friendly towards that market and they can really woo some of those folks, it could lead to some success. I would imagine cheaper/easier to get tickets, easier to stream, and short to watch might hit a sweet spot, especially in time when only baseball is being played.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Football, but worse

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think we're all missing a key and very significant advantage the XFL will have:

The Patriots won't be in it.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    All I remember about the XFL is no fair catches on punts. I'm pretty sure the original business plan was just a single piece of paper that said

1) no fair catches
    2) ????
    3) profit!

But I'm sure this time it will be different!

Hey, we got the sweet air camera out of the debacle.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I think we're all missing a key and very significant advantage the XFL will have:

As with the NFL, the Patriots will automatically qualify for one of the two XFL championship spots every season.

• Options
    A league comprised of people not good enough to make NFL practice squads.

do they get to put dumb shit on the back of their jerseys again?

• Options
    "One thing we are not is a development league for the NFL," McMahon said.
    Bullshit.

The second someone show's they can play, they'll bolt for bigger money.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Somehow the tone of that conference led me to believe Vince will not be very accepting of self-expression from his employees.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

I don't know why you'd think that!

This discussion has been closed.