As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    rude of them, they could at least have waited until we were on a different page then
    Contrary to reddit and twitter spam responses to any and all promotions for the game, Gigantic is still alive!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Sucks. I put a solid 20 or so hours into this game and thought it was a good time.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm bummed out. Especially since the population was actually slowly growing in the past month. :(

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    If anyone has this on the xbox/windows platforms, lmk. Apparently in custom matches you can pop badges and I must get the penta-kill badge no matter what. D:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    One thing that still makes me sad, and probably helped kill the game... the matchmaking cycle. Four potential matches in a row I've had a player drop and then it kicks everyone back to the menu.

If there was one QoL improvement that could have helped the game a lot, it would have been to take that partial grouping of players and either allow them to play the match out, or extend the MM timer to find another person(s) to fill in the missing player.

Got another Quad this week too... makes me hopeful that I can get the penta naturally before The End of Gigantic.

• Options
    One thing that still makes me sad, and probably helped kill the game... the matchmaking cycle. Four potential matches in a row I've had a player drop and then it kicks everyone back to the menu.

If there was one QoL improvement that could have helped the game a lot, it would have been to take that partial grouping of players and either allow them to play the match out, or extend the MM timer to find another person(s) to fill in the missing player.

Got another Quad this week too... makes me hopeful that I can get the penta naturally before The End of Gigantic.

The lack of being able to really communicate with a team and build a composition, and the lack of matchmaking that felt like we were having good matches really killed it for me.

I have the same issue with Battlerite, which is another good game.

• Options
    Why can't you communicate with your team? You have in-game voice chat and text chat from the moment hero select pops up.

• Options
    I think he stopped playing before that was added? IDK.

• Options
    When I was playing there was no way to communicate with the team in hero select.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    It was added late last year? IDK.

Been able to get into consistent matches since my last post, heh.

edit: I also love how I have the "end kill spree" fortune card but nobody on the opposing team seems to be living long enough to actually get a spree going... :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

The game had separate clients on PC for Windows 10 and Steam, and that's probably what really killed it since you had totally separate matchmaking.

It's a real shame, but Microsoft effectively killed the game. And what really sucks is that they didn't help Motiga since the company still had to do cutbacks and shit even after the deal. Employees actually worked without pay on the game until Arc came in to try and save it. A real shame to see that kind of dedication for naught.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Pretty much everything that I've read about the basic mechanics sounds confusing and unfun. Is there actually a good enough game in there that it could have had mass appeal if it had been designed and marketed better?

• Options
    I'm not sure why, the metagame is just point control. The details get complicated for balance purposes, but the basics are "build creatures on resource points, you get points for killing enemies (10), killing creatures (10 or 20 depending on upgrade level) and collecting resources (20). When one side gets 100 it makes their Guardian vulnerable to attack, get through its 3 health bars and you win".

The thing with the game is that playing it mechanically feels amazing. With someone like Tyto, who's a zippy runner who can combo out of their dodges it's sheer joy just running around. It's hard to explain without trying it, but the way the animations blend and how responsive your movement and attacks are is delightful and top-class for an offline action game where lag is no issue, let alone an online competitive game.
    Like, did you perhaps play both Okami and Twilight Princess? You know how in Okami it feels like you're greased lightning, with perfect, sharp control and animations that support it? And how Wolf Link is just a collision box that fires off animations when you push buttons, but doesn't feel like an animal at any point?
    The former is how Gigantic feels. Outside of Platinum there are very few developers that manage to make you feel as tightly in control of your characters as Gigantic does, and it's a bloody MOBA, the genre of awkward controls.

• Options
    edited March 2018

The game had separate clients on PC for Windows 10 and Steam, and that's probably what really killed it since you had totally separate matchmaking.

It's a real shame, but Microsoft effectively killed the game. And what really sucks is that they didn't help Motiga since the company still had to do cutbacks and shit even after the deal. Employees actually worked without pay on the game until Arc came in to try and save it. A real shame to see that kind of dedication for naught.

Windows 10 / Xbox (with cross-play) and Arc were the two platforms it was available on. It wasn't a true Steam title. The issue that I described occurred on both clients*, and MM failures push all players back to the main menu to re-queue, sometimes for an extended period of time. This could also happen w/o queue dodging, particularly with PC users. Matchmaking was the biggest QoL issue people complained about other than the 6gb requirement on PC though. The other side of the MM issue being unbalanced parties and smurfing (the higher up you got, the longer the MM), which meant stomping new players for some.

Motiga ran out of money when Microsoft came along, and then they ran out of money when Perfect World Entertainment bought them out and slowly laid everyone off until they closed it. If it weren't for Microsoft the game wouldn't have made it to that point.

edit: Also, getting thrown back to the main menu because someone missed the queue acceptance prompt and now it has to find 9 other players again.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Honestly, none of those issues would have been a problem had the game had a large enough pool of players to start with. But it started in a death spiral and then slowly sank further down.

As someone who seems to always fall in love with competitive games that don't make it, no amount of matchmaking magic will save you from that.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, IDK.

in the end I'm only 7k from getting Imani to level 10, 15 levels from 100 and forever for a penta. :|

edit: also really hate that the quad and pentas were even made into achievement requirements because they force you to compete with your own teammates to get. so dumb. I think multi-kill achievements more than most multiplayer achievements. ugh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Still no closer to a penta than I was last post. However, I did find out something I didn't know before, apparently Lexxy did some collab work on the game.

Also... I have to say I kind of loathe the merged servers. apparently Gigantic is a very popular game to let your children play with the mic on as you speak in other languages or something. Too bad they didn't decide that a few months ago. :pop:

IDK. Anybody still play on xbox live or know someone that still plays? I need to pop a fortune card for crews to complete a set. talking is entirely optional, and not expected.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Does anybody have still happen to have this game installed on the xbox (or windows 10) store? I need some help with something. Thanks...

• Options
    edited July 2018
    One last farewell stream tomorrow at 3:00pm PT (6 ET), showcasing unreleased content and handing out swag.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/Gigantic/news/detail/10960963

Alas, 11pm local for me, which isn't great, but I guess I can catch the VOD (while the channel exists...).

Glal on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    RIP in spaghetti, never forgetti.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    They actually fixed the issue that kept xbox players from logging in indefinately at random points during the shutdown countdown, so if you got locked out you might be able to play again

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Seems like a weird thing to essentially relaunch, since they are adding new features and stuff

Also the parent company got bought and might get sold?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I don't care, I get several hours of getting trounced like the scrub that I am, I'll take em! It's Mozu time!

h63fhpn46d14.gif

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I love that the email asked everyone to not discuss publicly but its all over the internet minutes after

anyway, this is kind of cool, and also unprecedented?

• Options
    Spent the evening playing the game. Aside from server issues, it sure felt like Gigantic! That is, 50/50 chance of going up against a team that crushes you like an elephant stepping on a grape, but hey, the other half were fun.

Split on how much I like the new Rush mode (everyone just starts at max level)- it's quick fun, sure, but it also means TTK is low from the start and multi-stage levels (like the Falls) just punt everyone to the final stage, which is a personal disappointment, the way the level changes as you play it is what made it my favourite in the original.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I didn't get a cool invite but I'm willing to physically whip you all to play enough to trigger whatever "we'll greenlight this if" metric the CEO's are looking to make the game available again broadly.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I didn't get a cool invite but I'm willing to physically whip you all to play enough to trigger whatever "we'll greenlight this if" metric the CEO's are looking to make the game available again broadly.

Anyone can play if you have or make an Arc account.

• Options
    edited February 21
    We’re back. April 9th. PC/PS5/Xbox X|S.
    https://youtu.be/E9J98V8B63U?si=1z5xl-YsfLSq62ND

23 Returning heroes, two new heroes, a new game mode for faster matches, original game mode returns, $19.99 with free skins and ranked mode coming in an update. Closed beta on the 22nd that you can sign up for on Steam.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    the time has come

to be adorable

gigantic-developer-shuttered-featured-image.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Updating the game right now!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    We even got a comic about it, and its wonderful.

• Options
    edited February 22
    Rush Mode is basically the normal game except towers are prebuilt. So no set up time, and no building them yourself.

Looks like everything is unlocked by buying it, except some things are earned by playing the game. What, I am not sure, I just saw profile pictures and some aspects of heroes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 22
    I owned all the cosmetics that they sold for the game, so that is interesting at least.

though tbh I hit over level 100, had the existing roster characters maxed or w/e too... personally not sure if I want to revisit it.

in this incarnation can you modify your build mid-match to adjust to what the opposing team is doing?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    It sounds like both modes allow you to alter your build like in the original version, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rush gave you your whole build in advance to facilitate faster play.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    It sounds like both modes allow you to alter your build like in the original version, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rush gave you your whole build in advance to facilitate faster play.

Hmm? IIRC, in the middle of the match you couldn't go back and change a talent/skill selection once you picked them mid-match. something to do with unreal and the player objects iirc from the AMA when it was asked about back then.

• Options
    Haven't gotten to see if things changed in this new version, but the last test let you either build as you go or have a preset auto-filled via a setting or hockey.

You can't change a choice you committed to mid match though.

• Options
    Yeah, what I meant is that instead of getting skill points, it's possible that you just have your skill points all spent when the match starts.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ah, okay, so more preset loadouts to make it smoother but still stuck. no biggie.

Did they update how matchmaking is handled or make it more robust? No more one player dropping kicking everyone back to the main menu, etc...?

• Options
    Frankly the thing I'm most shocked about is them actually bringing Roland back.

I'm curious if they are going to alter his toolkit at all, because a few top players in the private servers during original development basically got him removed with how dominant he was.

There are a lot more beefy characters now, so maybe they feel like there's better ways to zone him out and deal with him, but for a while he was basically an unkillable God in the right hands.