As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC won't connect to any router over ethernet--but it will connect directly to modem?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
A few months ago, I bought a dedicated PCIe blutooth/wifi device for my PC (and it's Asus Z-97A motherboard), which was a quick and painless installation. After a couple weeks of owning it, as an experiment I switched my PC from a wired ethernet connection to wifi via the included antenna, and found there to be very little bandwidth drop.

Since then, I cannot for the life of me connect my PC to a my ASUS TM AC1900 router (or for that matter, one provided for free by my ISP) and get it to connect. No matter what I do, or what drivers I reinstall, it will stall on "Network detected, no internet." Even resetting the router made no difference. But I can connect my PC via the same cable directly to the router and it will go online immediately. For me, Windows 10 always took some time figuring out a new router, but the network wizard would eventually figure its shit out, but now...nothing. And the fact that I can connect directly to my modem completely painlessly seems to suggest some sort of network configuration issue--except no amount of manual IP setting or anything else can change it.

Between this and my audio problems, I'm starting to take a hint that maybe I need to replace my motherboard (oh, the joys of maintaining a gaming PC). Most of my software-side troubleshooting involved a few hours trying every possible IP/DNS combination I could think of, but none of them helped (and a few seemed to actively hurt).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Have you tried removing the network adapter in device manager? Remove it, delete the driver, and reboot, let it find the driver again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Are you on windows 10? If the PCIe wireless card was designed for windows 7 you may want to check for firmware updates for it. Or a firmware update for the motherboard. Does the motherboard have onboard wifi? You may want to disconnect that or other networking options to see if it fixes the issue.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1