As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Review requests:

Heavy steam- Looks like a fun mix of Battletech and Starfleet Battles?

ogre obj 218- A card game version of Ogre?

Mountains of madness- Co-op...race to a mountain top?

Mansion of Madness: Recurring Nightmares- Lets you play all the 1st edition scenarios using the 2nd edition app?

Heavy Steam has my interest based on that description.

I mean it looks neat. Like Battletech with the giant mech sheets, but with an added component of having to manage rotating steam between your systems to power everything and a push your luck mechanic where more steam lets you do more stuff but increases boiler pressure that makes you more susceptible to being damaged. Then you can also spend it on initiative and battle cards that let you do stuff like call in artillery and infantry strikes.

and holy fuck how is this not the coolest looking thing ever?

pic2644615_md.png

Couple posts on BGG talk about how it's 90% cool but there seems to be a couple unpolished mechanics that come off like first time kickstarter designer traits.

How do these mech sheets not get your nerd blood pumping?

pic1970302_md.jpg

I saw a copy while browsing a store and almost bought it right on the spot but it was $80 and wanted to do some more research first. My one hesitation on reading more is that there's a design your own mech aspect which might not work well since 90% of my gaming gets done at weekly meetup groups and it would be hard to get to the table with both teaching rules AND have everyone design mechs.

(store copy of Twilight Imperium 4 for $150!!!)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I've played Battle For Hill 218, which this is an ogre reskin of. It's a really sharp little 2p spatial abstract game. If you like those definitely check it out.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yeah, as tempting as something like the Brute's +3 or the pierces are, old CCG instincts pretty much require me to trim the fat from my deck before I start adding the good stuff in.

Not to spoil anything specific, but as you guys open boxes you're going to find that considerations (and options) vary somewhat more between the later characters than the original 6.

Yeah let’s not do this tip toeing around spoilers bullshit, we have spoiler tags for a reason.

Clearly my sense of what is and isn't appropriate differs from yours.

I'm tired of this, so I just concede the point and stop posting about Gloomhaven at all.

I think using spoiler tags or making a dedicated thread makes a lot more sense than not talking about it at all. We have features for a reason!

Since the game released, I've been able to discuss it in this thread while using spoiler tags where I considered them appropriate without anyone feeling the need to raise any question of whether I, and others, were doing so as often as we should be with any regularity. I've had a number of interesting conversations about Gloomhaven with several different people in this thread.

That changed recently, when you (most vocally) and some others who have gotten on board with it since the second edition released and who seem to have a different notion of what is, and is not, a spoiler than I do have raised the matter repeatedly, to the point where I'd honestly rather just let it go and stop re-litigating it.

I want to be clear, though: I don't think you're wrong, and I'm not angry with you or anyone else. I find the fact that we keep circling back to this frustrating because it's ruining my enjoyment of talking about a game that I very much like in this thread, and the simplest solution from my perspective is to just let you have it your way.

E: That needs a bit more -

I assume you guys' motivation is to preserve your opportunity to have the fun I already have with the game, which is the biggest reason I'd rather just step aside and let you. If you need things a certain way to do that, I'd rather give it to you.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Review requests:

This is Battle for Hill 218/Battle for Sector 219 reskinned with vehicles from the Ogre universe and the addition of the titular Ogres.

If you have played other 218 games, the primary mechanical difference are the Ogres. Those cost 2 actions to play, attack twice when played, have 2 hit points, and can support out to range 2 until they take a point of damage. They are huge threats and force an immediate reaction. As a result, it's worth picking up if you liked 218/219 because there is something new in the box.

But let's say you haven't played its ancestors...

These games are quick, finesse-driven card games where the goal is either to: (a) capture the other player's command post; or (b) to win the war of attrition by trading efficiently (should the decks and hands run out without an automatic victory, then the player with more units in play wins). Units are played from the hand into a loose grid around the command posts and center obstacle. Units only act when they are played, but units on the tabletop provide support for both future plays and attacks. No dice are involved and while there is some chance with the draw decks, between a mulligan, the double draw, and the variety of unit types on offer it is very rare to feel like your deck cost you the game.

You normally draw and play 2 cards a turn. When you play a card, you need to think about (a) logistics (where you can play the card), (b) attacks (what the card can kill), and (c) support (how the card will help you kill other cards). Some cards can just outright kill an enemy card (howitzers, heavy tanks, Ogres), but many need a second card providing support into the same target square of the grid for a kill. Logistics is important because you need a chain of cards back to the command post - most cards can only be played in certain configurations (orthogonally or diagonally) from another card.

Each game also gives you 2 air strikes/orbital strikes/cruise missiles that deal a kill to a target anywhere on the board (an Ogre will persist and require a second hit to finish). These help you escape the noose but at the cost of not developing your position with that play.

Playing time is pretty fast. With 2 people who know their business and who are willing to get on with it, you can knock out any of the 218/219 games in 15-30 minutes.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Naw, spoiler tag spoilers. Talking about the game is not itself a spoiler. You're not doing anything wrong @Auralynx

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Review requests:

This is Battle for Hill 218/Battle for Sector 219 reskinned with vehicles from the Ogre universe and the addition of the titular Ogres.

If you have played other 218 games, the primary mechanical difference are the Ogres. Those cost 2 actions to play, attack twice when played, have 2 hit points, and can support out to range 2 until they take a point of damage. They are huge threats and force an immediate reaction. As a result, it's worth picking up if you liked 218/219 because there is something new in the box.

But let's say you haven't played its ancestors...

These games are quick, finesse-driven card games where the goal is either to: (a) capture the other player's command post; or (b) to win the war of attrition by trading efficiently (should the decks and hands run out without an automatic victory, then the player with more units in play wins). Units are played from the hand into a loose grid around the command posts and center obstacle. Units only act when they are played, but units on the tabletop provide support for both future plays and attacks. No dice are involved and while there is some chance with the draw decks, between a mulligan, the double draw, and the variety of unit types on offer it is very rare to feel like your deck cost you the game.

You normally draw and play 2 cards a turn. When you play a card, you need to think about (a) logistics (where you can play the card), (b) attacks (what the card can kill), and (c) support (how the card will help you kill other cards). Some cards can just outright kill an enemy card (howitzers, heavy tanks, Ogres), but many need a second card providing support into the same target square of the grid for a kill. Logistics is important because you need a chain of cards back to the command post - most cards can only be played in certain configurations (orthogonally or diagonally) from another card.

Each game also gives you 2 air strikes/orbital strikes/cruise missiles that deal a kill to a target anywhere on the board (an Ogre will persist and require a second hit to finish). These help you escape the noose but at the cost of not developing your position with that play.

Playing time is pretty fast. With 2 people who know their business and who are willing to get on with it, you can knock out any of the 218/219 games in 15-30 minutes.

Sounds a tad like Neuroshima Hex?

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular

Sounds a tad like Neuroshima Hex?

Probably best to say they feel like they have a common ancestry but go very different routes mechanically.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Sooo.... just picked up Mage Wars: Academy on the cheap. Can someone give me the skinny here? In the original game, you have all this tactical movement on a board, so your open spellbook often feels like a way to capitalize on your spatial situation. You CAN play any card, but you have to examine the position of the creatures, and balance aggression with the defense of your mage.

But then in Academy, there's no board! And now we're in the realm of about 20 excellent 2-player card games. It's as if someone says, "Ok, you heard of Magic? I made a similar game, except you can play ANY CARD in your deck! Genius, right?" I feel like they're trying to pull a fast one on me. I mean, I understand that the enchantments are hidden until reveal, and that the specific cards I have in my spellbook are secret, but I'm not going to completely redo my deck after every single game. Most of the time my opponent will have a real good idea about what's in there.

So, I mean, it's fun to have more control over things, but it's actually seems kind of audacious to do this... unless there's another game that has this (perhaps in a different form) that I'm just too ignorant or stupid to think of? Any of you guys delve into this game, and can say what the long-term gameplay feels like?

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Stuffed Fables arrived!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Got my Rising Sun. Holy hell, this is a lot of things.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Darric wrote: »

Got mine yesterday! I didn't know I got all that with this game. It looks great!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
      Stuffed Fables arrived!

Looking forward to people's reports of that one. I saw it at gencon last year and while it looked cool, I couldn't justify ANOTHER miniatures game. On the other hand my wife and I loved both nightlight and the stuff of legend so it definitely was one we kept in the back of our minds

• Options
      azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Got mine yesterday! I didn't know I got all that with this game. It looks great!

Did you guys get shipping info before you got the package? I havent heard anything yet.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      edited February 2018
      jergarmar wrote: »
      But then in Academy, there's no board! And now we're in the realm of about 20 excellent 2-player card games. It's as if someone says, "Ok, you heard of Magic? I made a similar game, except you can play ANY CARD in your deck! Genius, right?" I feel like they're trying to pull a fast one on me. I mean, I understand that the enchantments are hidden until reveal, and that the specific cards I have in my spellbook are secret, but I'm not going to completely redo my deck after every single game. Most of the time my opponent will have a real good idea about what's in there.

So, I mean, it's fun to have more control over things, but it's actually seems kind of audacious to do this... unless there's another game that has this (perhaps in a different form) that I'm just too ignorant or stupid to think of? Any of you guys delve into this game, and can say what the long-term gameplay feels like?

I haven't played any of the Mage Wars games, but "Magic, except you sideboard as part of gameplay rather than between games" is a way one could describe Codex. You've got access to lots of different builds and ways to counterplay your opponent, but you have to think ahead about what you want to bring in because it'll take a couple turns before you draw your new cards.

I need to play more Codex.

Fry on
    • Options
      azith28 wrote: »

Did you guys get shipping info before you got the package? I havent heard anything yet.

I got the shipping notice yesterday, when it was out for delivery. It had apparently been shipped a week earlier.

• Options
        BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
        Got an update from the 7th Continent 2nd printing. Looks like March delivery is still on. Boat is expected to reach Canada by Feb 27. That one snuck up on me! I'm excited. I think this is the first game I'm going to play solo.

• Options
        BlazeFire wrote: »
        Got an update from the 7th Continent 2nd printing. Looks like March delivery is still on. Boat is expected to reach Canada by Feb 27. That one snuck up on me! I'm excited. I think this is the first game I'm going to play solo.

I haven't received anything yet, is Wave one just the original stuff and Wave 2 the expansions?

• Options
          BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
          BlazeFire wrote: »

I haven't received anything yet, is Wave one just the original stuff and Wave 2 the expansions?

I may have used bad wording. I didn't receive an email from them. I saw this in an update on the KS page. Update #61 on Feb. 7.

• Options
          edited February 2018
          Digital version of Scythe just announced a Q1 2018 release.
          http://store.steampowered.com/app/718560/Scythe_Digital_Edition/

Of course going by Twilight Struggle digital release time that could mean anytime from now until until the apocalyptic next presidential election.

MrBody on
        • Options
          Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
          Is there any chance Seafall isn't worth $32? I love the idea of legacy games, though I haven't played any, and I fucking love pirates.

• Options
          El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
          edited February 2018
          Is there any chance Seafall isn't worth $32? I love the idea of legacy games, though I haven't played any, and I fucking love pirates.

I paid $90 for my copy and I don't feel like I wasted my money. It was a fun but very flawed game.

EDIT: I played with 5 and it can be pretty cut throat at 5.

El Mucho on
          BNet: ElMucho#1392
          Origin: theRealElMucho
        • Options
          azith28 wrote: »

I got my shipping info the morning it arrived, which is ... not especially useful.

• Options
          LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

There kind of is- I think depending on your group Seafall is either worth full MSRP or you just shouldn't buy it at any price.

If you have a group to play it, and your group is going to enjoy it at least part of the way through, then it's easily worth $32. Might even be worth $32 just for the joy of opening up all the boxes.

But for a lot of groups a heavy, >2 hour/session, competitive legacy game that's deeply flawed will never ever hit the table.

My group loved it and played through the full campaign but I personally really see the flaws that El Mucho referred to and many groups report not playing it.

Remember the Seafall campaign 16 gaming nights that could be spent on your favorite game.

• Options
          AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
          I bought it for 20 and change and still think that’s worth it, although I haven’t played it yet. 32 is probably worth it just to try it out.

ACsTqqK.jpg
        • Options
          ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
          Arctic's Seafall Info That May Help Inform Your Purchase Decision
          • The basic game is, honestly, flawed. This is to say that while there will be a game you play when you open the box, it isn't the whole game, and it takes some time to get there. Is your group patient?
          • The game is really repetitive. There's an early game phase that will exist throughout the entire campaign, that you will always find yourself doing to some degree. Seriously, is your group patient?
          • I played the game with 5. It was kind of a nightmare. I know people who played with 3. They can't imagine playing with more. How big is your group? ARE THEY PATIENT?
          • If your group is into roleplaying at all, there's some MASSIVE opportunity for flavour you can carry though the campaign. Does your group enjoy roleplay?
          • The legacy components themselves are good. What more do you want me to say?

I didn't say it was a long list. You getting the jist of it though?
          The TL;DR version of this is that how much your group likes Seafall will probably depend on whether they expect a good game, or a good story, because it falters on the former a fair bit (personal opinion, but not an uncommon one), and delivers pretty well on the latter. The trick here is the intersection point - your ideal Seafall group likes story elements more than game elements, but will need to be patient or interested enough to play 15 fairly dry 2+ hour games to see it all through. That's not a common market. But maybe you're exactly it.

• Options
          PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
          is it true that seafall before any legacy components provides lots of things to focus on and the legacy components makes one of those ways secretly way better than the rest and as the campaign goes on whoever focused most on that one thing will start to always win?

sig.gif
        • Options
          edited February 2018
          is it true that seafall before any legacy components provides lots of things to focus on and the legacy components makes one of those ways secretly way better than the rest and as the campaign goes on whoever focused most on that one thing will start to always win?

Well....... need to spoiler to really answer but if you don't want to read the spoiler the answer is "not quite that, but not far off either". I would say instead that the design intent was clearly not to give every player an equal chance of winning every game and the campaign, but instead to create a fun experience where you might sometimes not be playing a fair game.

You can see how for some players, playing 16 sessions of a 2-3 hour game where it's not a fair fight will kill the game.
          More like "at different stages of the campaign, different options for playstyle will reward you much more or much less". And this is made worse by your faction ability and legacy upgrades committing you into 1 playstyle.

So just for example I went heavy exploration, I was the exploration faction; at the beginning of the campaign I was wildly overpowered, during 2 points during the campaign it was completely impossible for me to explore, which I had put all of my upgrades into, so I was forced to do something else instead, and then at some point exploring became ridiculous again. Same story could have been told about trading, or PVP, or building buildings.

Lykouragh on
        • Options
          Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
          I'll check out the SU & SD review before deciding and talking to the folks I'd be playing with, but thanks for the opinions!

I might just go with Pandemic Legacy instead.

• Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          I'll check out the SU & SD review before deciding and talking to the folks I'd be playing with, but thanks for the opinions!

Pandemic Legacy is the current gold standard for legacy games, can’t really go wrong with it.

• Options

Yeah I don't think anyone in the world would say "you should play Seafall instead of Pandemic Legacy".

Play the universally acclaimed one first and then consider the deep cut :)

• Options
          Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
          I bought Taj Mahal because I have a Knizia problem. It looks real good though! Hoping to get it on time to play this weekend, but we'll see.

• Options
          BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
          Review requests:
          Mountains of madness- Co-op...race to a mountain top?

Mansion of Madness: Recurring Nightmares- Lets you play all the 1st edition scenarios using the 2nd edition app?

Recurring Nightmares adds a lot more components to the game, fleshing out monster types and opening up more player options and more map tile types but does not recreate the 1st edition scenarios. If you're crazy and play the game a lot its a welcome bit of diversity but I would put the true expansions (Beyond the Threshold and Streets of Arkham) before the tile collection. Those not only add more scenarios but new mechanics as well. You could also try and get a hold of a 1st edition version of the Mansions of Madness for the same effect. There is one scenario that gets unlocked, though it might have been from the other figurine/tile collection.

Mountains of Madness is... not what I was expecting from a lovecraft game. It's really fun mind you but a much lighter party-like game than I would have expected. It starts off as a fairly basic co-op: collect a set of cards from everyone with the correct number of symbols. Every round sees junk cards added to the deck or players picking up insanity traits (the insanity mechanic is the core of the game). This will be some weird conversation rules for a player, maybe you have speak in a whisper or can't face people. They start off simple enough and get more cumbersome over time. Most were fun bits of things we had to work around however, we had a couple that were more frustrating than fun. Thankfully they were also easy to replace fairly quick.

• Options
          ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Pandemic Legacy is the current gold standard for legacy games, can’t really go wrong with it.

The irony of this statement is that I think Risk Legacy was still the best one. But I just have to be different. :P

• Options
          Just played Keyflower for the first time- really liked it!

Workers being both currency for an auction and, well, workers makes valuing them very interesting and fun.

• Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The irony of this statement is that I think Risk Legacy was still the best one. But I just have to be different. :P

I mean I like Pandemic Legacy 2 more than one, but, in terms of general consensus Season 1 is regarded as "the best."

• Options
          Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
          Ah_Pook wrote: »
          I bought Taj Mahal because I have a Knizia problem. It looks real good though! Hoping to get it on time to play this weekend, but we'll see.

The only Knizia problem I have is that I don't have enough Knizia games

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
        • Options
          LindLind Registered User regular
          So Shut Up & Sit Down reviewed A Tale of Pirates and it looks like my kind of game. In stock in alot of swedish webstores as well but I think I'll try to my local bookstore this afternoon. Have anyone here tried it?

• Options
          Ah_Pook wrote: »

Taj Mahal is fantastic. It's one of my favourite Knizias, actually.

• Options
          Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
          Ooooh Hardback arrived.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
        • Options
          Is there a term for "guy who is terrible at explaining rules yet insists on always being the one to explain them" ? The guy who starts explaining at the totally wrong spots with very specific fiddly stuff rather than a broad overview?

You can tell everyone listening is completely lost. He answers every single question with "I'm going to get to that", doesn't get to it until over 10 minutes later, and it's something that could have been answered quickly when the question was first asked. He always drowns out points with endless listings of every possible exception before he's even done explaining the basic thing. He'll start talking about stats and numbers without even saying what they do or mean. He might even spend more time talking about the LORE than the rules.

But the worst part of all is that you dare not step in and clarify a point because it's going to derail his entire train of thought and make him start over, or start arguing with you with "well that isn't always the case" (yeah, but it is 95% of the time and for the sake of beginners learning can't we just assume and move on?). At worst he's going to take personal offense that someone is suggesting that his explanation needs help.

I thought the record was one time when someone took 25 minutes to explain King of Tokyo (he insisted on going through every single power card in the deck and explaining it rather than just trusting people to read what's on the card when it came up), but I think that was just shattered when I saw someone take just a little over half an hour to explain Coup.

This discussion has been closed.