As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling Hockey Cards - How do I?

CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a fairly extensive collection of hockey cards I am interested in disposing of and I was wondering if anyone had experience in selling their cards and could offer some advice as to the best way to go about it.

Caedwyr on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Probably with anything, you'll need to determine the going market rate first.

Then you can decide if it's worth selling individuals or as bulk packs. I assume physical condition will strongly influence price so be sure to match like with like, though super rare cards may not matter as much.

If stilling bulk/packs, eBay is probably the way to go. For higher value, you may want to sell locally or at a show/convention.

Just don't be like the Superman comic guy. E.g. don't tell your family.

• Options
    Any advice with respect to where to sell online versus trying to sell offline? My initial web searches have found a lot of services that you can pay for to give you price lists.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If it's heavily 90's hockey cards be prepared for disappointment , the value on that era is almost nil I learnt a while back when doing my own unloading.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Did you sell with a local dealer or online? Or did you have to go with donating them to the thrift store?

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Did you sell with a local dealer or online? Or did you have to go with donating them to the thrift store?

I ended up giving most of mine to a nephew for the 90's era stuff because wasn't worth it in the end, like even tried unloading it in bulk at a penny a card and no luck.

Still check for the odd card tho, there are a few sleepers from that era that can at least fetch 20-40$ sometimes, like Jagr.

If mostly O-pee-chee you will have better luck, it's the Upper Deck and Topps that really bottomed out hard.

• Options
    That's positive news. I have mostly complete sets of O-pee-chee from the early 90s and late 80s plus a random selection of older cards. I've got some Upper Deck, Score, and Pro.... but I recall having spent most my efforts in getting the O-pee-chee cards.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    That's positive news. I have mostly complete sets of O-pee-chee from the early 90s and late 80s plus a random selection of older cards. I've got some Upper Deck, Score, and Pro.... but I recall having spent most my efforts in getting the O-pee-chee cards.

Ya definitely check all your 80's stuff, the decline is mostly from the 90's when Upper deck floooooooooded the market with cards, but O-pee chee stayed true to form and just kept it's usual production cycles and thus stayed more of a collectible.

edit: especially check for Hull, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr, Lemeiux, Roy , Coffey and Bourque in your 80's stuff, they are the big ticket rookies of that decade

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man, I bought SO MANY upper deck and score and pro baseball and football cards in the 90's even though I didn't care about the sports, so I could totally see how those would be worthless. So popular back then.

Best bet will be to price your collection one by one.