As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Legacy

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Legacy

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    One frustrating thing as someone who despises all sports, is that somehow people think that it's just because I don't care about the type of sport. In reality, I have utterly zero interest in "eSports" or whatever they want to call it even though I enjoy video games. The part that is stupid to me is sitting around watching someone else play something. I'd rather just play myself, it's more fun. No, I'm not as good but that's fine But to obsess over how someone else plays something or if one team wins or loses, I just can't get into that.

It's ultimately some tribalism extension, much like that web comic where the guy picks up a team flag on the ground and then the other guy who sees him immediately hates him now. That's not healthy or normal, no matter how much society tries to hammer it in. More likely they do it to keep people spending money on sports passes, tickets, etc. I'm rambling now, but basically sports suck and that includes eSports too.

Zenigata on
  • Options
    PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    It's ultimately some tribalism extension... basically sports suck and that includes eSports too.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I can watch F1 and root for Kimi Raikkonen without hating Sebastian Vettel or Lewis Hamilton. And goodness knows people are plenty tribal even outside the context of organized competitions. I don't think you have a problem with sports so much as with assholes.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It's ultimately some tribalism extension, much like that web comic where the guy picks up a team flag on the ground and then the other guy who sees him immediately hates him now. That's not healthy or normal, no matter how much society tries to hammer it in. More likely they do it to keep people spending money on sports passes, tickets, etc. I'm rambling now, but basically sports suck and that includes eSports too.

It might not be healthy, but it's incredibly normal.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    One frustrating thing as someone who despises all sports, is that somehow people think that it's just because I don't care about the type of sport. In reality, I have utterly zero interest in "eSports" or whatever they want to call it even though I enjoy video games. The part that is stupid to me is sitting around watching someone else play something. I'd rather just play myself, it's more fun. No, I'm not as good but that's fine But to obsess over how someone else plays something or if one team wins or loses, I just can't get into that.

I agree to some extent. But I think tribalism ultimately comes from wanting to be part of something bigger and claim a stake in the victory of more "successful" people. Peasants bragging about their liegelord, commoners picking a favorite gladiator, etc. So while you're probably right that it's not healthy, it's absolutely "normal" in that it's tied to human nature. Lots of humans don't have it, like you and I, but lots do and always have.

The question becomes whether this is an impulse we should try to outgrow or to satisfy in safe ways. Sort of like bloodlust: there's a question that I don't know the answer to as to whether violent movies and games are a safe alternative to coliseums or whether we as a race should try to move past those impulses.

Like I said, I don't know. Maybe eventually we'll move past tribalism altogether. Or maybe spectator sports are just a harmless outlet for a trait that we'll always have. But while I don't enjoy sports or esports at all, I really think that for all the ugliness they can bring out (in already ugly people), most sports fans do just fine at keeping perspective and not taking it too seriously.

EDIT: while I was typing the two comments above me summed it up way better. TL:DR, read those two comments.

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Man, I absolutely cant STAND eSports. Even if I dont like regular sports, I can still see the physical accomplishments behind them, but there's nothing physical going on in eSports

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Don’t stimulate kids guys. It’s no good stimulating kids.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Wow. Just wow at these comments.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Yeah, well not only do I hate all sports and all esports, but I also hate every form of competition ever.
    So I win!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Esports
    eSports
    esPorts
    es Ports
    S Ports
    SPorts
    Sports

Oh no!

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I tried to make it pretty clear that I understand and am totally fine with people liking spectator sports even if I am not one of them. But I'd also point out that there is a difference between liking competition and liking to watch, follow, and identify with others competing. I love to compete! I just don't see the appeal personally of tying myself to someone else competing, and attributing their success or failure to myself.
    My takeaway from the comparison made in the comic is that the same type of bad behavior gamers often scorn in sports could be present in esports. Which means the problem, as it were, is the player and not the game.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Esports
    eSports
    esPorts
    es Ports
    S Ports
    SPorts
    Sports

Oh no!
    PetsMart
    PetSmart

:?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That expression on Tycho's face in panel 3 might be the most troubling one I've ever seen on him. It's not that wild, it's not that weird, his eyes aren't glowing red, but nevertheless... there's a look.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Man, I absolutely cant STAND eSports. Even if I dont like regular sports, I can still see the physical accomplishments behind them, but there's nothing physical going on in eSports

Er, reaction time and precision aiming both seem fairly physical to me. As much as pool or target shooting with guns anyway.

I don’t watch esports outside of the occasional Overwatch match since I can’t play right now. They just don’t do much for me. I guess I don’t understand why someone would hate something if they don’t involve themselves with it.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Er, reaction time and precision aiming both seem fairly physical to me. As much as pool or target shooting with guns anyway.

I don’t watch esports outside of the occasional Overwatch match since I can’t play right now. They just don’t do much for me. I guess I don’t understand why someone would hate something if they don’t involve themselves with it.

You know, I'm not sure. It's not like I care about regular sports, but for some reason this is just something that makes me angry for no real reason.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's just entertainment. Like at it's core that's all it is, just like every other form of entertainment. Just like watching a TV show or a Movie. There's no difference and I'm not sure why you are going out of your way to single out this form of entertainment just because you don't like it.

Saying that some form of entertainment you don't enjoy sucks or deep diving and making it out to be something unhealthy is kind of weird. It's OK to not like it. Don't go out of your way trying to make it something bigger than it is though. Do some people take it to unhealthy extremes? Yes, but again that is every other form of entertainment too.

This thread is truly bizarre.

• Options
    SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Quid wrote: »

I explained it to my wife and family as a musical competition. You have individuals or teams that are incredibly practiced at their instrument (Keyboard and Mouse) and at the pieces of music they play (certain characters or roles in certain games.) The difference is that instead of taking turns and being graded by a judge, they perform simultaneously and improvisationally, and the performance of the superior team will win out.

Make better, faster, more accurate improvisations, have a better understanding of the music, command your instrument more fully. My wife watches Starcraft II with me now =)

Edit: I like watching Speed Runs for the same reason.

Sunrize on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Speed Runs definitely have that same feeling of watching someone who is just the best. Watching someone with utterly comprehensive knowledge and honed skill at doing what they're doing is always satisfying, even when I'd otherwise not be interested. Like I'll watch woodworking videos on youtube for the same reason. And I don't give a shit about woodworking!