SciFi UI

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Artist's Corner
So I'm updating an old 16 bit DOS game to newer systems and I'm giving the UI kind of a facelift. This is just a simple prototype I worked up using Inkscape and Gimp. I am not a artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to see what I could do better then 16 color EGA graphics. After finishing I'm kind of beside myself with how good it looks for the little I did to it.

My goals are to:
1) Increase the resolution by 400% (The original is 320x200 the new size is 1280x800. It's 16:10 aspect ratio)
2) Increase the color from 4 bit color to 24 bit color.
3) Move away a little further away from the Star Trek "LCARS" look of the original without impacting the location of things. Paramount is a more touchy about games ripping off their Star Trek interface then they were back in 1992 when the game was originally released.
Links to a comparison is below.

Old and broke (Original)
New Hotness

Now I haven't done anything with the fonts yet, I will be using something a little more modern like a Kennyfont. I'm not totally sold on the background stars. Also the buttons look dark and not very inviting. I may brighten them up a bit. Any other ideas? My brain says it looks totally rad and I would you guys can knock me down a peg so I can try differnt avanues.

Yes, I know it just looks like I applied a few graphic plugins on a trace of the original. I did a little more than that... but not much.

dA03mgx.png
halkun on
bowen

• SublimusSublimus Registered User regular
    Hey! Just saw this. Sorry no one replied to your thread man!

I think it's a massive upgrade! It's much easier to read for sure. I don't really know enough about design to give much of a crit though.

I guess the few things I would say is, the game/mission logo is really busy, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be anything. And I can't really read the main logo. I see a P and a WAF? And the last thing is, I don't really know what the "stand by" thing is for. It's kind of busy too, so it call attention to itself, but as far as I can tell it does nothing?

I dunno. Hope that helps. Sorry again you got no replies! Shame on us! shame!

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Oh this is old... :P I'm actually hiring an artist to help with the game now. Thanks for the input though,...

dA03mgx.png