As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    No I think GW flat out said he's a Cryptek modeled with a piece of wargear he always had available, just usually unmodeled.

from the community site:
    The Necron Cryptek is the first to be made of plastic and features a nifty new piece of wargear that allows them to skim above the battlefield and repair your units.

But that might also refer to his coat and not the spider.

honovere on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea who knows, then? I'm expecting the knights to be fairly cheap and very strong and it's an oversight that they completely eclipse other similar units that cost the same.

It wouldn't be the first time a new unit is stronger than the old, lol, or even recently, compare Custodes units with every other style of Imperium Terminator.

But we're almost upon the scheduled March semi-annual big FAQ so hey, let's see what happens.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    An idea struck me and now I think I have to run this.

I’ve got 3 tempestus scion squads, two baby knights and 1 knight. This forms a natural pyramid hierarchy.

I’ll theme the tempestus as pages, the baby knights as squires and the knights as well, knights. I’ll track the kills of the squads and mechs, the pilot living from game to game as long as the mech does not explode.

When the knight reaches a suitably large number of kills (something in the hundreds?) the squire with the most kills becomes the knight, and the page squad leader with the most squad kills becomes the next squire. Deaths of the knight will be filled in similarly.

When the knight pilot graduates to being a titan pilot, or whatever, he gets to leave his mark on the mech in some way related to his career, maybe a tyranid skull on a spike if he slayed many tyranids, stuff like that.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Starting to get real irritated by the Dark Eldar's lack of good auras. Also doesn't help that they only apply to a third of the army at best.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tau Preview 2

Tau, we are master's of hiding in corners and shooting your army across the entire board. 6" range increase on pretty much everything is really good. Also looks like a lot of extra shots across the board on weaponry.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Starting to get real irritated by the Dark Eldar's lack of good auras. Also doesn't help that they only apply to a third of the army at best.

There’s always hope! Just keep the faith that their codex will feature strong HQs, strategems, and some wych love. The stronger your hope is the more pain that can be riven from your captured soul and sacrificed to appease the Dark Prince.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    No I think GW flat out said he's a Cryptek modeled with a piece of wargear he always had available, just usually unmodeled.

from the community site:
    The Necron Cryptek is the first to be made of plastic and features a nifty new piece of wargear that allows them to skim above the battlefield and repair your units.

But that might also refer to his coat and not the spider.

I really have NO idea what Crypteks do?
    The Xenos 1 book has they as a psychic?
    They came or as I took a break from the game so they are new but I have no idea what they are.

There’s always hope! Just keep the faith that their codex will feature strong HQs, strategems, and some wych love. The stronger your hope is the more pain that can be riven from your captured soul and sacrificed to appease the Dark Prince.

I want to run armies that are not forced to the take the haemonculi luggage to be playable

I got a wych army for my ynnari I would like to play them as a straight wych force for the DE
    I kind of want to get Kabal stuff for them so I can flesh out the shooty parts of it when I don't play them as ynnari

I do hope in the lore they show since the harlequins put Vect in power they knock him down as easily showing the house of cards DE society is
    They put him in power to break the hold the haemonculi had on society

• Options
    But we all know it's going to be
    9qrub1fz4h0h.png

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Tau Preview 2

Tau, we are master's of hiding in corners and shooting your army across the entire board. 6" range increase on pretty much everything is really good. Also looks like a lot of extra shots across the board on weaponry.

All the more to make those -1 to hit armies at range even better. I love hitting on a 5+.

Edit: Looks like Tau are back to riptide spamming. Huzzah!

Edit2: Sorry. I know I am super negative but I have suffered the worst one sided stomps I have ever had in 8th edition playing Tau. None of what I have read is saving this army.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s super jarring switching between different 40k forum threads and getting completely opposite reactions to Tau power level. I’m not sure if they’re completely overpowered or insultingly awful at this point but either way they seem to emit deadly unhappiness rays to anyone nearby.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    I know I play marines but 4+ to hit isn't horrifying. I use to play orks try hitting on 5's with your weapons and no way to buff it. But guard does well with a 4+ bs skill on everything.

What I am seeing from Tau isn't crazy broken but not bottom of the barrel. I am seeing middle of the road codex here. Similar to the SM codex if you don't play soup. You win some, you lose some, and you should be able to put up a decent fight. The extra range is really fantastic. The overwatch on 5+ is good, extremely good. Considering how I have been blasted to bits by super heavies with it I understand how good it is.

The weapon buffs aren't bad.

I think really the stratagems and if there are changes to marker lights that will really be the make or break of the book. I never liked marker lights being so foundational to an army but they aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't doom and gloom it. Especially before point changes are revealed as well. I can see a few good armies in there. Enough to give you good games.

Also I think the -1 to hit fear is overblown. In my entire club I am the only who uses it constantly because I like the Alpha Legion infiltrate stratagem and how I can build things around it. I mean it is good but it doesn't completely neuter your army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So I'm pretty sure you can't use multiple rerolls on a single dice even if it's from different sources, but can you reroll different dice for the same test?

Like if a charge roll is 1,1 can I use the command point reroll on one die and the Gaze of Fate reroll on the other?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I know I play marines but 4+ to hit isn't horrifying. I use to play orks try hitting on 5's with your weapons and no way to buff it. But guard does well with a 4+ bs skill on everything.
    Both Orks and Guard use weight of numbers to compensate for the 4+.
    T'au don't really get to do that, they have to rely on blowing a units worth of shooting that does no damage to hopefully buff the BS of other units firing at that same enemy to bring them up to parity.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    So I learned two things from my game last night;
    • If they're in a ruin, infantry can move and charge through solid walls.
    • Bikers can not.

Unfortunately I didn't realise that the second rule was the case and I'm pretty sure it led to my opponent sneaking a victory by a single point thanks to advancing some bikers through a shit ton of terrain.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    • Bikers can not.

Unfortunately I didn't realise that the second rule was the case and I'm pretty sure it led to my opponent sneaking a victory by a single point thanks to advancing some bikers through a shit ton of terrain.

This is correct. It also means that infantry can go into a ruin in such as way that thier charge target has no LOS and can not overwatch.

The same thing applies to units with FLY. This is part of why a captain with thunder hammer and jump pack is a common SM pick.

• Options
    The things that can't go through walls also can't get to the second story of a building, which is pretty exploitable at times.

• Options
    Huh I have a Tau army?
    Also I have this?
    23gyglj3qvwv.png

What the hell was I doing in 2010?

• Options
    The things that can't go through walls also can't get to the second story of a building, which is pretty exploitable at times.

This gets weirder with flying monsters, who often cannot get the second floor, but can get to the roof.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    • Bikers can not.

This is correct. It also means that infantry can go into a ruin in such as way that thier charge target has no LOS and can not overwatch.

The same thing applies to units with FLY. This is part of why a captain with thunder hammer and jump pack is a common SM pick.

This will take some getting used to, because it's not very intuitive to me. A four-storey solid wall doesn't exactly scream "dudes can walk through it" just because it's part of a ruined building.

I'm also going to a new gaming shop which fucking loves covering its tables in terrain so that's probably going to severely cut down the effectiveness of shooting.

• Options
    So I have been trying to figure out how to add a Tsons detachment to my normal Emp Children army. And I am trying to figure out what role the Tsons infantry fills that I don't already have filled via other parts of my army.

So my standard base army is 2 battalion detachments of Emp's Children. One is usually an Apostle+Exalted Champ and 30 cultist. The other is a lord+sorc, two noise marine squads and a csm or third noise squad depending on the game and points. Usually that covers about 1000 points depending on how I kit stuff out. Sometimes a bit less. From there I usually add termis, my defiler, maulerfiends, heldrakes, possessed, havocs and so on based on what I am focusing on for the game or if I know my opponent. Plasma termis and havocs are great verse marines. Possessed in a rhino help push through gunlines. Swapping a Daemon Prince with sonic dreads and the close combat daemon engines if I want to monster mash. Lots of choices and variety. And I have a strong foundation of a cheap screen, some good swiss army knife hqs, and good mid-long range shooting with my noise marine squads. I have a positive w-l ration in 8th with really only a few games I have lost being ones where my dice have failed me or my opponents got blessed by lady luck such as me failing to kill a single hellblaster with 3 noise marine squads or my opponent making 15 stormshield saves in a row verse a double tap plasma termi-bomb that was overloaded. And even if I lose the games are close anyway.

So I am trying to figure out where to put some Tsons in here. As I see it I get way better psykers with a diverse range of spells. The -2 ap bolters are decent but not sure worth the points. Tzaangor bombs are worth it. I get skyfires which are mobile wound machines. Not sure where it fits in.

Thoughts?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Rubrics are also pretty resilient, but if it is just more ranged damage which Noise Marines already do. In you case, you might even just want to focus on the various T Son hqs, and take some cultists to round out the detachments.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I guess it depends what you want, but, Rubrics are walking tanks versus 1 damage profile armies. It's like they constantly have cover and have a 4+ invuln save...and the sorcerer, obviously.

Ahriman murders characters at this point. I think a stratagem could give an extra power? If so, you can literally have him walking around Doombolting, Infernal Gazing, Gift of Chaos'ng, and Tzeentch Firestorming depending on the opponent / need. And that's just him. All for 131 points (you don't really need his disc).

You could equip your Emp Children Sorc with a jump pack and him deep strike in with Stratagem'd or Dark Matter Crystal Rubrics. Give them all Warpflamers. All of them. They'd need the warptime to get in range as it's 8 inches, but.....

Or shove them in a Rhino I guess. They also bring their own sorcerer. Could give that one Firestorm as well if you're feeling peachy.

Like, it sounds like the only reason you want them is the psyker powers, so you could just go Ahriman, DP of Tzeentch, DP of Tzeentch, cultist cultist cultist and have them mind bomb / smite everything. The DPs give you access to THEIR psychic tree and that's two more pick any target you want / mortal wounds everywhere / +6 inches psychic attacks / a power that gives you free re-rolls for no CP that you could use for your EC.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Back with Tsons was dropping I was first thinking a trio of exalted/sorcs on disc in a supreme command detachment. It gives you good access to the spells but doesn't eat up more than just the cost of the HQs. Sorcs/DP combo would work for this too.

In a way it shows the strength of the CSM codex as I am not finding a huge hole that needs to be filled for my army. But also kind of how well done Tsons codex is because they have a lot of tools that fit in those spaces as well so I don't have to back fill with CSM.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I don't think Exalted gets you anything a normal TSons Sorcerer would as you're not really troop heavy on their side if you just go cultists, but Ahriman on the other hand is such a huge leap in power, any TSons without him seems a mistake.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Now this is the third preview of the Tau
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/07/tau-empire-preview-farsight-enclavesgw-homepage-post-3/
    The Farsight Enclaves
    Really I feel it's just creating hype since they gloss over some stuff I am curious about but really I don't have anything negative to say since they have yet to make a weak codex

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/07/tau-empire-preview-farsight-enclavesgw-homepage-post-3/
    The Farsight Enclaves
    Really I feel it's just creating hype since they gloss over some stuff I am curious about but really I don't have anything negative to say since they have yet to make a weak codex

Grey Knights.

It isn't super weak but it requires soup to really do well.

I found this one middling verse yesterday's 6" range boost.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    • Bikers can not.

You mean it’s not just because of how awesome JP and TH is in Space Marine?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The Farsight Enclaves

Grey Knights.

It isn't super weak but it requires soup to really do well.

I found this one middling verse yesterday's 6" range boost.

Um...

Soup?

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Imperial soup; a mix of various keyword imperium units in one army.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    S.O.U.P. Smite others until pacified. It’s another way of saying always be smiting.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The Farsight Enclaves

That preview was terrible. What other army gets a nerf to a HQ choice to be limited? Chaos are spamming demon princes, Eldar farseers, Imperial Guard cheap characters with special weapons etc. That strategem is beyond worthless. Why would you sacrifice the shooting of one of the only 2+ to hit models to give one that hits on 4+ rerolls to wound?

I am just completely bemused as to what they think this army will compete with.

Honestly it's true we haven't had a genuinely terrible codex yet. Prepare for Tau to change that.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The Farsight Enclaves

That preview was terrible. What other army gets a nerf to a HQ choice to be limited? Chaos are spamming demon princes, Eldar farseers, Imperial Guard cheap characters with special weapons etc. That strategem is beyond worthless. Why would you sacrifice the shooting of one of the only 2+ to hit models to give one that hits on 4+ rerolls to wound?

Honestly it's true we haven't had a genuinely terrible codex yet. Prepare for Tau to change that.

This one is full of abilities that would work much better in a different army. The warlord trait. The bonuses for close range shooting. Even giving up shooting of a unit to buff another unit. All of these don't fit tau and how the army is built.

Yesterday's preview was much better I think. Increased range is vicious. Look at DG and TSons who have their increased ranged wither on double taps or spells. Both are very powerful. Sure it doesn't help verse the 3 -1 armies (AL, Ravenguard, Alaitoc) but it helps verse guard, marines, and pretty much everyone else because you out range them even primaris. I am not writing off the codex yet but today's preview was a stinker.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The Farsight Enclaves

You really need to relax. They limited IG Command Squads to 1 per HQ early in 8th and this is a similar situation. I mean, would you prefer that they just increase the point costs of Commanders?

The strategem isn't one you'd be spamming every turn but it would be situationally useful when your Commander with 4 Fusion Blasters has nothing but IG Infantry within 18 inches, rather than wasting his time roasting 4 guardsmen he could give rerolls to a large unit of Burst Cannon Crisis or Stealth suits maybe.

They've put out a couple of weak codices so far, Ad Mech and Grey Knights, but overwhelmingly the trend has been good rules. Just wait and see.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Statistically, Tau are looking to be decent, but not OP. Until a new stratagem or ability shows otherwise, they have no long range AT that breaks the 40 points per damage threshold which is the "magic number" for particularly strong AT. They also have no cost efficient long range anti-infantry. Crisis suits remain overcosted, and the commander nerf feels like an arbitrary kick in the shin while custodes can bring 5 shield captains on bikes (One of the single best character units in the game).

What they do have is super cost effective fire warriors, who have a lot of synergy with their characters. In triple shot range, fire warriors are more cost effective at doing damage to tanks than any Broadside configuration. Markerlights are fairly cheap now, and give good returns for taking down large single units. Commanders remain exceptional at assassinating heavy targets with quad melta. Gun drones deep striking near a drone controller are still a cost effective anti-infantry platform (Assuming the leaker who has a good record was right in that they get deep strike).

So, the book looks like it has potential. Its power band is 15-24" range, with some decent volume of mid-strength firepower out 30-36". Super duper cheap and good brigade/battalions possible, so if they have good strats easy to go deep on them.

Overall the book is looking to be about Tyranid power level (That is to say, pretty good internal and external balance), though how it will fit into the meta I'm not super certain. I think it has some tools to help counter Eldar/Tyranids, and some glaring weaknesses to both. We'll see what the March balance FAQ brings.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, are any PAer's going to be at Adepticon the week after next?

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Statistically, Tau are looking to be decent, but not OP. Until a new stratagem or ability shows otherwise, they have no long range AT that breaks the 40 points per damage threshold which is the "magic number" for particularly strong AT. They also have no cost efficient long range anti-infantry. Crisis suits remain overcosted, and the commander nerf feels like an arbitrary kick in the shin while custodes can bring 5 shield captains on bikes (One of the single best character units in the game).

What they do have is super cost effective fire warriors, who have a lot of synergy with their characters. In triple shot range, fire warriors are more cost effective at doing damage to tanks than any Broadside configuration. Markerlights are fairly cheap now, and give good returns for taking down large single units. Commanders remain exceptional at assassinating heavy targets with quad melta. Gun drones deep striking near a drone controller are still a cost effective anti-infantry platform (Assuming the leaker who has a good record was right in that they get deep strike).

So, the book looks like it has potential. Its power band is 15-24" range, with some decent volume of mid-strength firepower out 30-36". Super duper cheap and good brigade/battalions possible, so if they have good strats easy to go deep on them.

Overall the book is looking to be about Tyranid power level (That is to say, pretty good internal and external balance), though how it will fit into the meta I'm not super certain. I think it has some tools to help counter Eldar/Tyranids, and some glaring weaknesses to both. We'll see what the March balance FAQ brings.

Hey, are they any good still?

Youtube nerds are already calling it a terrible codex...

Which, I don't care? I mean, I'll get angry at GW all day (and, honestly, I'm angry at GW for making T'au really, really difficult to play), but I still love my dino-bug mans.

• Options
    How is any gunline army possibly difficult to play? You could be very successful ignoring literally every phase but the shooting phase, wherein you roll dice and the opponent picks up models.

• Options
    They can be difficult in games or editions where shooting is weak, like 3rd.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    They can be difficult in games or editions where shooting is weak, like 3rd.

It was weak but there were times it wasn't
    Just a lot of dakka was the way around it.

Still I feel this Tau preview is nothing but a glossy cover I really want to know what's inside as today they talked about Kroot and Vespid as meat to fill in for larger games
    What if I want to play with just Kroot and a Tau overseer force?

Again I really have a lot of questions more than anything about this army

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Hey, are they any good still?

Youtube nerds are already calling it a terrible codex...

Which, I don't care? I mean, I'll get angry at GW all day (and, honestly, I'm angry at GW for making T'au really, really difficult to play), but I still love my dino-bug mans.

Tyranids is a good codex. You can play a reasonably competitive list with it, as well as some hilarious spam lists if you want (a recent major Scottish tournament was won by a list with 7 hive tyrants). It will struggle with some meta lists (dark reapers will basically kill everything in your lists no problems) but likewise you can catch some lists off guard. There are some dud options (warriors Hauspex) but it’s probably the best internally balanced codex.

This discussion has been closed.