As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zoey 101 Gets Knocked Up

123457»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    Personally I think it's revolting that Michael C Hall plays a murderer on television and isn't one in real life. Hypocrite.

Tube on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Personally I think it's revolting that Michael C Hall plays a murderer on television and isn't one in real life. Hypocrite.

I see what you did there.....

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Since the show is called "Dexter" and not "Michael C. Hall," I'm going to go ahead and restate that there is a difference between playing a character and playing a false version of oneself. I guess you skimmed that part of my worthless puritanical twaddle and so missed it.

If you honestly don't see a big difference between selling some product because people believe you embody certain qualities that you don't have and playing a fictional character embodying some qualities you don't have, I don't know what to say to you except that there most certainly is a big difference between the two.

*shrug*

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bill Cosby isn't even really a doctor! This hypocrisy is an epidemic! One that Bill Cosby is completely ill-qualified to treat!

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    To be honest Drez, I really have no clue how much control over her own image she had.

Odds are, she didn't create her image in the first place. It was most likely manufactured for her to make herself as marketable as possible early on, or to fulfill whatever market niche they saw for her. And once you get famous on a certain image, you're probably under intense pressure from everyone who you signed contracts to (probably crappy ones that are quite binding because your desperate early on) to maintain that image under all costs.

And then at that point you're famous for that image, and most people don't want to give up their fame.

Well, whatever. None of us really know, I suppose. I err on the side of burning everyone at the stake, though. Less witches in the midst that way, I reckon.

I'm just saying man, she wasn't some huge advocate of christian moral rights who went to fucking rallys and spent all of her time preaching the virgin gospel. She was an actress who played good little drug free, sex free tween on a bullshit kids show. She can no longer accurately portray that image, and because of that will most likely lose that job, and find another one that better suits her in the process. Just because she had sex it doesn't make her immoral, and getting knocked up was an accident, not a mistake, not a crime, but an accident. She wasn't some slut screwing half of the cast, and didn't know whose kid it was. It's her boyfriend, who she at least thinks she loves. Worse shit has happened. Is she a little bit of a hypocrite for choosing to take the money to act like a princess, but still secretly sleeping around? Maybe, that's really a judgement call, and I'm not fit to judge it. I don't think she deserves the scarlet letter over this though.

Her sister is still fucking insane though... seriously.....

Edit: After consideration, she's not a hypocrite.... that is all...

Dude, I'm talking about Britney here. I'm not claiming Jamie Lynn to be a hypocrite. Britney most certainly DID advertise her virginity, both proudly and profusely, so I can only assume you mistakenly think I'm calling her sister a hypocrite or something.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bill Cosby isn't even really a doctor! This hypocrisy is an epidemic! One that Bill Cosby is completely ill-qualified to treat!

Are you referring to "Dr. Huxtable," a completely fictional character that was never advertised as anything but?

Drez on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be honest Drez, I really have no clue how much control over her own image she had.

Odds are, she didn't create her image in the first place. It was most likely manufactured for her to make herself as marketable as possible early on, or to fulfill whatever market niche they saw for her. And once you get famous on a certain image, you're probably under intense pressure from everyone who you signed contracts to (probably crappy ones that are quite binding because your desperate early on) to maintain that image under all costs.

And then at that point you're famous for that image, and most people don't want to give up their fame.

Well, whatever. None of us really know, I suppose. I err on the side of burning everyone at the stake, though. Less witches in the midst that way, I reckon.

I'm just saying man, she wasn't some huge advocate of christian moral rights who went to fucking rallys and spent all of her time preaching the virgin gospel. She was an actress who played good little drug free, sex free tween on a bullshit kids show. She can no longer accurately portray that image, and because of that will most likely lose that job, and find another one that better suits her in the process. Just because she had sex it doesn't make her immoral, and getting knocked up was an accident, not a mistake, not a crime, but an accident. She wasn't some slut screwing half of the cast, and didn't know whose kid it was. It's her boyfriend, who she at least thinks she loves. Worse shit has happened. Is she a little bit of a hypocrite for choosing to take the money to act like a princess, but still secretly sleeping around? Maybe, that's really a judgement call, and I'm not fit to judge it. I don't think she deserves the scarlet letter over this though.

Her sister is still fucking insane though... seriously.....

Edit: After consideration, she's not a hypocrite.... that is all...

Dude, I'm talking about Britney here. I'm not claiming Jamie Lynn to be a hypocrite. Britney most certainly DID advertise her virginity, both proudly and profusely, so I can only assume you mistakenly think I'm calling her sister a hypocrite or something.

I just said "her sister is insane" because I like to point out that brittney is fucking nuts... I wasn't saying she had anything to do with it. And you are claiming Jamie to be a hypocrite.... weather you realize it or not.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's called The Cosby Show! The apocalypse is nigh!

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's called The Cosby Show! The apocalypse is nigh!

Can I get an ETA on when you expect to stop being obtuse?

Or maybe you can directly answer one of my questions?

I don't know, maybe you can try communicating evenly for a change.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You don't have any relevant questions. Your entire "argument" is a ludicrous and irrelevant straw man designed to give you an excuse to hate Britney Spears because she's young, popular and succesful. Communicating "evenly" with you would require me to spend five minutes beating myself senseless with a rubber brick.

Tube on
  • Options
    GOJIRA!GOJIRA! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You don't have any relevant questions. Your entire "argument" is a ludicrous and irrelevant straw man designed to give you an excuse to hate Britney Spears because she was young, popular and succesful. Communicating "evenly" with you would require me to spend five minutes beating myself senseless with a rubber brick.

That seems a bit more up to the minute.

GOJIRA! on
    "We are cursed," said Iyad Sarraj, a Gaza psychiatrist and a human rights activist. "Our leaders are either Israeli collaborators, asses, or mentally unstable."
    Sounds vaguely familiar...
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You don't have any relevant questions. Your entire "argument" is a ludicrous and irrelevant straw man designed to give you an excuse to hate Britney Spears because she's young, popular and succesful. Communicating "evenly" with you would require me to spend five minutes beating myself senseless with a rubber brick.

I am the one that hates britney, Drez hates jamie... : )

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why hate either of them?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why hate either of them?

I just personally don't like Brittney spears. I think the cameras are giving her a bad rap, but she's still a ditzy fucking blonde who has way to much money for less than mediocre talent, shes a failed parent, a horrible driver, a liar, and just an all around terrible person.... just terrible

amateurhour on
  • Options
    GOJIRA!GOJIRA! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why hate either of them?

I just personally don't like Brittney spears. I think the cameras are giving her a bad rap, but she's still a ditzy fucking blonde who has way to much money for less than mediocre talent, shes a failed parent, a horrible driver, a liar, and just an all around terrible person.... just terrible

Vagina envy?

GOJIRA! on
    "We are cursed," said Iyad Sarraj, a Gaza psychiatrist and a human rights activist. "Our leaders are either Israeli collaborators, asses, or mentally unstable."
    Sounds vaguely familiar...
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well, no, my argument is fine and you are just too busy strutting your supposed intellectual and moral superiority to respond to it with anything but irrelevant soundbytes.

To anyone else that may be willing to actually discuss this subject, my argument is this: a person presenting themselves as something false in an effort to sell something is reprehensible regardless of the context. This is different than playing a character. False self-representation is bad enough, but doing so in order to sell something is worse. It's the exact same reason I hate psychics: "oh, hi, I can see your dead dad for 50 bucks." But it doesn't really matter if the end is positive or negative, the means are the immoral bit here, in my opinion.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wonderfully, most of those are judgements that you're completely ill-equipped to make. Horrible driver? Seriously? Because of that one story? Failed parent? Are you a parent yourself? No? Didn't think so.

Again, just an excuse to be a smug, judgemental cock-of-the-walk.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I am the one that hates britney, Drez hates jamie... : )

I don't hate Jamie at all. What the devil are you talking about? She was playing some young teen girl on a show. I've no problem with her getting knocked up. None. At. All.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Drez is exactly the same now and has exactly the same beliefs as he did when he was 16 and has never pretended to be anything else ever in the history of time ever ever ever.

Tube on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait, Britney Spears is a bad driver? Why or how the fuck do you even know this? Why do you care? How is that a even a remotely relevant or useful thing to know?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Drez is exactly the same now and has exactly the same beliefs as he did when he was 16 and has never pretended to be anything else ever in the history of time ever ever ever.

Sure I have.

I'm an asshole too.

So what? Does that make Britney Spears not an asshole? Does every human being being a hypocrite now and then somehow cancel it all out?

I don't think so.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ozzy Osbourne? Not really the anti-christ. Alice Cooper? That's a dummy baby he's killing. Gwar? Not even really monstrous trolls. Isacc Hayes? Not even really black.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    God this whole thing is so retarded when I think about it:

"He guys, let's hold celebrities up to ridiculously high standards that none of us actually maintain, and then viciously mock and belittle them when they don't hold up to these standards."

Morons.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I actually had to be dragged out of an Alice Cooper concert a month ago screaming "THIS IS BULLSHIT COOPER! THAT'S NOT A REAL BABY! YOUR NAME ISN'T EVEN STEVEN! THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ozzy Osbourne? Not really the anti-christ. Alice Cooper? That's a dummy baby he's killing. Gwar? Not even really monstrous trolls. Isacc Hayes? Not even really black.

Britney Spears was pretending to be a virgin AS Britney Spears. It's common knowledge that bands represent some kind of fictional image for the most part. Again, all different. Well maybe not Ozzy. Then again he did bite a bat's head off or whatever so how can you say with 100% conviction that he isn't the Anti-Christ, other than that the rapture has not yet occurred?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    God this whole thing is so retarded when I think about it:

"He guys, let's hold celebrities up to ridiculously high standards that none of us actually maintain, and then viciously mock and belittle them when they don't hold up to these standards."

Morons.

That's a part of celebrity, though. They are public scapegoats. We vilify them for the darkness in ourselves. It's a way for us to admonish ourselves without really doing so.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Britney Spears said "I want to stay a virgin until I'm married". A media circus ensued. Britney later changed her mind. She actually made very few statements about her virginity and actively avoided the subject in interviews.

Tube on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Britney Spears was pretending to be a virgin AS Britney Spears. It's common knowledge that bands represent some kind of fictional image for the most part. Again, all different. Well maybe not Ozzy. Then again he did bite a bat's head off or whatever so how can you say with 100% conviction that he isn't the Anti-Christ, other than that the rapture has not yet occurred?

To be fair to Britney, she does seem to hold the same views regarding premarital sex that she did before.
    I think honestly if you can wait until you're married I think you should definitely do that, because it's so much more sacred. That you don't go around sleeping with people. But I mean, I really thought I was going to be with him for the rest of my life, I did.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

That's a part of celebrity, though. They are public scapegoats. We vilify them for the darkness in ourselves. It's a way for us to admonish ourselves without really doing so.

And that's completely and utterly retarded.

How is this even a matter worthy of discussion when there's 25,000 people starving everyday?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Britney Spears said "I want to stay a virgin until I'm married". A media circus ensued. Britney later changed her mind. She actually made very few statements about her virginity and actively avoided the subject in interviews.

My perception of her public advertisement of this mindset differs vastly from yours, but I really don't care enough to research it at all so I'll just agree to disagree and I'm sick of Britney.

On the topic of Jamie, however, I think it's nonsense to to suggest any of the following: (a) that a 16 year old girl cannot properly raise a child under any context, (b) that wealth doesn't play a monumental role in how well and how easily a child can be raised, (c) that environment doesn't play a large role in how well and how easily a child can be raised, (d) that we can assume she wasn't having safe sex that simply failed on this occasion, (e) that she should be vilified for this, (f) that the arbitrary "age" limit for adulthood we've concocted as a society is relevant here, or hahahahah (g) that children should be taken from their parents if they are born under the age of 18. That last is such nonsense and I know you didn't outright suggest it VoodooV, but I can tell you think it's a good idea. Dear Christ.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

How is this even a matter worthy of discussion when there's 25,000 people starving everyday?

oh my god..... really? yeah, lets stop this thread because people die of aids.... good call...

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I don't know. How are Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed or christmas presents or Pokemon matters worthy of discussion when 25,000 people are starving every day? Go into those threads in G&T and try to shut them up with that, okay? Thanks.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okay, so it was a bit melodramatic of a card to play.

But fuck, what I'm getting for Christmas is a way more note worthy thing to discuss then continuing this stupid amount of attention that people heap on to celebrities.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okay, so it was a bit melodramatic of a card to play.

But fuck, what I'm getting for Christmas is a way more note worthy thing to discuss then continuing this stupid amount of attention that people heap on to celebrities.

I'm sorry, but who appointed you judge and jury of what makes for worthy discussion?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Who appointed you the judge and jury of who the judge and jury is? Move away from this assinine avenue of conversation and back to the topic.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just tossing my opinion into the fray like everyone else is.

This cult of popularity that media has built around celebrities is just ridiculous and you know it. We have entire channels dedicated to the lives of celebrities. I was at a restaurant the other day, and they were doing a piece about where some celebrity shopped for Christmas! My god man, who cares? The whole paparazzi issue is obscene and is practically a human rights violation. The amount of attention we heap on celebrities isn't healthy, for the celebrities or the people who eat this kinda shit up.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This cult of popularity that media ha built around celebrities is just ridiculous and you know it. We have entire channels dedicated to the lives of celebrities. I was at a restaurant the other day, and they were doing a piece about where some celebrity shopped for Christmas! My god man, who cares? The whole paparazzi issue is obscene and is practically a human rights violation. The amount of attention we heap on celebrities isn't healthy, for the celebrities or the people who eat this kinda shit up.

And that is what it all really boils down to. That and this "race to be grownup" that each and every one of us go through in their teens

VoodooV on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This cult of popularity that media has built around celebrities is just ridiculous and you know it. We have entire channels dedicated to the lives of celebrities. I was at a restaurant the other day, and they were doing a piece about where some celebrity shopped for Christmas! My god man, who cares? The whole paparazzi issue is obscene and is practically a human rights violation. The amount of attention we heap on celebrities isn't healthy, for the celebrities or the people who eat this kinda shit up.

I've grown to like the idea that celebrities provide a sort of national community. Like nobody lives in villages anymore, you can't know who you're sitting next to on the bus, but the fact that you both know Brad Pitt connects you.

When you're abroad in some strange foreign country where you don't speak much of the language, meeting other Americans can be a rare pleasure. But if they're from Wyoming and you're from Connecticut, you don't really have anything in common, so what do you talk about? The movies.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There's a difference between talking to someone about what movies have come out recently, and talking about what celebrity X bought for christmas.

Or in the case of this thread, a celebrity getting pregnant.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The problem I have with this whole topic of discussion is that all that happened here is that some girl who had a rather puritanical image got knocked up, and her older sister is pretty skeazy. The events that have occured are irrelevant, because I'm pretty sure no one here is talking about this in the context of "OMG, now I can't watch Zoe!". At least the people in G&T actually play the games they talk about.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png