Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Enoch
    Is currently in a spaceship guarding frozen Fitz, I think. Also there are two Fitzes right now.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Enoch
    Is currently in a spaceship guarding frozen Fitz, I think. Also there are two Fitzes right now.
    I knew that's where he needed to be long term, but if they felt the need for more of him he's not entirely unavailable. Could even have left a recorded message behind.
    Just the new Chronocon seemed weirdly pointless. Everyone seems pretty blase about their existence too. Seems like they could have used a bit more Warburton wall projection to cover any lingering exposition needs.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Enoch
    I knew that's where he needed to be long term, but if they felt the need for more of him he's not entirely unavailable. Could even have left a recorded message behind.
    Just the new Chronocon seemed weirdly pointless. Everyone seems pretty blase about their existence too.
    Sentient Chronicoms from a planet in the constellation we know as Cygnus are among the least weird things they've had to deal with lately.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Enoch
    Just the new Chronocon seemed weirdly pointless. Everyone seems pretty blase about their existence too. Seems like they could have used a bit more Warburton wall projection to cover any lingering exposition needs.
    To be fair, somebody has to watch earth while Enoch is in space.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Enoch

Maybe
    they'll just keep introducing new replacement watcher-bots.
    When they did an episode showing snippets of what's to come and their despair at it all still playing out the same way, I assumed they'd swerve that whole looped destiny plot quickly. But it looks like they're going to play all of that out for now.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Enoch

Oh great, now I'm getting Farscape flashbacks! (spoilers for Farscape)
    With how that went with 2 copies running around and one gets to be happy...

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Counterpoint: I actually paused it after the
    ring line to "booyah" my friends I was watching it with because I predicted back on episode 1 that he was going to be Fitz's kid/grandkid. The other three people basically all said "uh, that doesn't actually mean anything. It's probably just a similar ring, you're jumping to conclusions."

A few seconds later I was fully vindicated.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enoch

Maybe
    When they did an episode showing snippets of what's to come and their despair at it all still playing out the same way, I assumed they'd swerve that whole looped destiny plot quickly. But it looks like they're going to play all of that out for now.
    They confirmed Stan Lee as a Watcher, right?
    Just bring him in..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Enoch

Maybe
    Just bring him in..
    They already have, season 1

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Enoch

Maybe
    Just bring him in..
    They already have, season 1

Yeah. But do it again.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    This wrote: »
    My problem with it was not that
    a fear dimension is dumb.

My problem was that
    It was absurd how quickly Fitz seemed to know everything about it, after one or two weird incidents. It wasn't natural or earned in any way. It was basically the writers breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the viewers telling us the setup for the episode. I found it super ham-fisted and awkward, and it set the episode off on the wrong foot for me.

Yeah, given how
    Fitz is usually the first one to pull the "I skoff that this weirdness, because it doesn't fit what we know about SCIENCE!", he jumped to "This place manifests fears as reality" ridiculously quick. I wonder if there was a cut scene where he sees his dad at one point, or something.
    I think after being proven wrong about time travel, dealt with a demonic entity in Ghost Rider, and been exposed to a variety of things that he otherwise thought was impossible, he has since jumped on board with whatever happens.

I didn't think it was a flaw, I think it was acknowledging that having him continue to be "naysayer science-man" at this point would be ridiculous. Fitz has seen some shit, he's ready to acknowledge that a rip in space-time that is leaking out their worst fears is "a fear dimension".
    As for how quickly he got on to a solution, he spent a fair chunk of several seasons trying to figure out dimensional mechanics/travel. Once when Simmons was taken and he was trying to figure out anything about what happened to her, and once when they were dealing with Ghost Rider.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Top 10 Favorite Guest Star Moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xml4E3yHutE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    How many movie ex-pats did we wind up with in AoS?

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice
    Sitwell like 2 or 3 times
    Agent Carter once (and then her own TV show, which had Howard Stark and Dum Dum Dugan)

...man, that's real sad looking at it now.

• Options

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice
    Agent Carter once (and then her own TV show, which had Howard Stark and Dum Dum Dugan)

Powers Boothe as Gideon Malick (was also in Avengers)
    Dr List (also in Age of Ultron)
    Dum Dum Dugan and Jim Morita were also in the Agents Carter flashback episodes

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice

Also Dr. List, who was (barely) in Age of Ultron and the Winter Solider stinger.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I didn't think the 100th episode was bad, but it was probably overhyped - I was expecting a bit more, which is probably as much on me for following a bunch of the cast on social media.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Honestly, I thought the episode from the previous week was going to be #100, and then I ended up watching them back to back and by then had sort of forgotten about it being episode 100.

• Options
    All the people from the movies showing up (with the exception of the one that proves the rule) are people who didn't quite make it doing movies.

If AoS gets another season it be awesome if Disney threw some time and money at the Avengers to make a cameo.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I think the 100 would've been significantly improved if
    Coulson had the conversation with Ward, instead of not-Lok.

Seriously, 100 and no Brett Dalton in sight? Must've been some serious scheduling issues to prevent that.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Seriously, 100 and no Brett Dalton in sight? Must've been some serious scheduling issues to prevent that.
    Nah. Dethlok is someone Coulson trusts.

• Options

The only better option would have been Amy Acker, in my mind.

• Options

The only better option would have been Amy Acker, in my mind.

Another excellent option would've been
    Nick Fury

but there was no way that was going to happen. That would've cost too much.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've always liked the Kevin Smith story about getting Ben Affleck to go from making blockbusters and big budget productions, and come work for him for scale/access to craft services/whatever Hollywood's minimum wage was.

I get that not every actor and working relationship is like that, but even accepting that a bunch of it is marketing, I like to dream that even guys like Sam Jackson and other movie regulars wouldn't be all "okay, that's a gajillion dollars for a 1 minute walk on bit for your little show". Marvel/Disney/Whomever manage to get a ton of them together for photo ops and events and whatnot pretty regularly over the years, surely 'hey, want to suit up for like 2 work days, we'll buy you a nice lunch' would work on someone?

Not to minimize that I'm talking about people who are part of giant movies and probably get paid pretty well for it (not all RDJr money, but I certainly hope they're getting paid well enough all the same), and that their time is limited and valuable, but there's now a broad enough bench that surely someone might be willing to stop by and put in a quick spot?

Meh, I'm probably being overly optimistic on this one, no need for people to Tell Me How It Is on the realities of doing the Movie to TV jump or wages or how Movies and Cinema teams don't play well together or whatever the reason might seem to be. As a layperson, someone who just enjoys the films and shows, and who has enjoyed the various cameos we have gotten, it'd be nice to see a few more while the show is still on the air.

I guess my view basically boils down to 'it has been done before, clearly the world didn't end to make it happen, it'd be nice to see it again, and I have faith that schedules, money, and availability are all solvable problems'.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice

I think too many movie MCU characters would become disruptive. The show mainly exploring the things that happen behind the scenes works for it. That restriction lets them expand the universe a bit instead of becoming the sidekick hour who have to call on the Avengers to solve every problem. Finding out more about the bit players in the movies works for the show.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't think it'd need to deeply involve the Avengers (and deal with questions of 'why don't the Avengers deal with all of this'.

Without being too running-gag'y, even just having some walkthroughs in the background, or "Hey, could you help us with something?" "Sorry Phil, you're on your own, we're kind of trying to contain something right now ourselves, good luck ttyl!"

Hell, the latter could be phoned in.

I agree that focusing on the behind the scenes elements is appealing, and wouldn't want the show to give up too much to make them happen. But I do think there's a viable middle ground as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice

I think too many movie MCU characters would become disruptive. The show mainly exploring the things that happen behind the scenes works for it. That restriction lets them expand the universe a bit instead of becoming the sidekick hour who have to call on the Avengers to solve every problem. Finding out more about the bit players in the movies works for the show.

I mostly agree with the sentiment, and don't need Avengers showing up all the time by any means. But it was soooooooooo fucking awesome when Fury was involved. It would be cool to have heard from him from time to time.

The bigger thing for me is that we lost the feeling that the show and movies were part of the same world. The connection was tangible and relevant throughout season one, and then it basically disappeared. In Season one, Fury told Coulson that he was an Avenger. That was exciting, but then nothing came of it. We also saw Coulson ask Sif not to tell Thor about him being alive, because he wanted to tell him himself. That was exciting!! And nothing came of it. After a while it just stopped being at all believable that the show and movies exist together. But this is just as much if not moreso due to the movies ignoring the show than due to Avengers not showing up on SHIELD.

I love Marvel for what they've done with the MCU but I'll always be disappointed and pissed at them for how they fucked up #itsallconnected.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Coulson, obviously
    Maria Hill several times
    Fury a couple of times
    Sif twice

I mostly agree with the sentiment, and don't need Avengers showing up all the time by any means. But it was soooooooooo fucking awesome when Fury was involved. It would be cool to have heard from him from time to time.

The bigger thing for me is that we lost the feeling that the show and movies were part of the same world. The connection was tangible and relevant throughout season one, and then it basically disappeared. In Season one, Fury told Coulson that he was an Avenger. That was exciting, but then nothing came of it. We also saw Coulson ask Sif not to tell Thor about him being alive, because he wanted to tell him himself. That was exciting!! And nothing came of it. After a while it just stopped being at all believable that the show and movies exist together. But this is just as much if not moreso due to the movies ignoring the show than due to Avengers not showing up on SHIELD.

I love Marvel for what they've done with the MCU but I'll always be disappointed and pissed at them for how they fucked up #itsallconnected.

Well, it is a big, crazy world out there, and you'll always run into questions about why Black Widow doesn't show up every time SHIELD is on the ropes or whatever...the answer is that all of these people have a lot on their plates and can't always be dropping everything to hang out with Phil.

For me, it's largely enough that they talk about movie stuff fairly regularly. Coulson talks about Fury's toolbox every few episodes. Daredevil made a plot point of gentrification in response to Avengers 1. Luke Cage had Hammer Tech. Jessica Jones season 2 mentions
    The Raft prison from Civil War
    a fair amount. Also she has a throwaway line with
    Spider-Man's "with great power" line that makes me think that Peter ill-advisedly talked to the cameras once.

I think that making them more connected, while fun, would rob lower level heroes of some agency, and ironically make the MCU seem smaller. Billions of people on the planet, and Cap shows up in Hell's Kitchen during a gang war?

• Options
    Yeah, he does, because Phil Coulson gives him a call!

It was never really feasible for a number of reasons, but This is right. They paid it lip service.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Enoch
    Just the new Chronocon seemed weirdly pointless. Everyone seems pretty blase about their existence too.
    Sentient Chronicoms from a planet in the constellation we know as Cygnus are among the least weird things they've had to deal with lately.
    They're also one of the few weird things that isn't trying to kill them in a variety of horrible ways.
    So, sometimes just let the weirdness be weird.

see317 on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I like the nod that May had Natasha on her speed dial.

Not that she would ever need to use it, but it's there because they're buds.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie. If they hadn't spelled out the Deke being related to them I would not have known. Granted I watch the show while working out so I'm not paying full attention and that's totally my fault. And also have been paying a bit less attention this season because I didn't like it as much while they were in the future.
    But yea, just in general for a show like this I can see how for some stuff it can be better to spell it out a bit more. I heard the ring line and I was like "huh that's a weird thing to throw in there like that" and then promptly stopped thinking about it.

• Options
    Not gonna lie. If they hadn't spelled out the Deke being related to them I would not have known. Granted I watch the show while working out so I'm not paying full attention and that's totally my fault. And also have been paying a bit less attention this season because I didn't like it as much while they were in the future.
    But yea, just in general for a show like this I can see how for some stuff it can be better to spell it out a bit more. I heard the ring line and I was like "huh that's a weird thing to throw in there like that" and then promptly stopped thinking about it.

That's kind of the thing. It's a weird line. And TV show writing, especially, is always very deliberate. There are rarely "weird" things that just get tossed around without purpose. TV shows live and die by efficient, economical writing, so a bit like that is almost guaranteed to mean something.

• Options
    I'm curious to know if
    Deke, Fitz, and Simmons somehow find out about the revelation. I'm guessing no.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

That's kind of the thing. It's a weird line. And TV show writing, especially, is always very deliberate. There are rarely "weird" things that just get tossed around without purpose. TV shows live and die by efficient, economical writing, so a bit like that is almost guaranteed to mean something.

Right, but I assumed maybe it had something to dO with some other character I forgot about or was some easter egg for people who know more about comics than me. Because sometimes that stuff is tossed in as a nod to people in the know. Sometimes it will be something I know and I'm like hey cool! Other times I just assume it's something I don't have the knowledge of. These shows always have all sorts of little callbacks and such so assuming each one of those is something bigger isn't always going to be true.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Newest episode's a slow burn, interested in what it's building to.

Latest episode ... uh, casting spoilers? I guess?
    Candyman might look familiar to you; it's Jake Busey, son of actor Gary Busey.

If you're like me, you remember him from Starship Troopers.

Still no official word on whether we'll get a season 6 yet, but ratings remain strong for the time slot.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Saw speculation on who dove Cameron's character is, but I'm not familiar with the comics so no idea if it's reasonable.
    We're dealing with Hydra adjacent folks here, her name is Ruby, skull shirts, doesn't know her father...

Red Skull's daughter?

Or well, given her age guess it would be clone?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Mac certainly knows what the ladies want.
    To be armed and dangerous.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if
    Deke, Fitz, and Simmons somehow find out about the revelation. I'm guessing no.
    Do the time travel mechanics of the show mean saving the world will erase Deke from their timeline?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, he does, because Phil Coulson gives him a call!

It was never really feasible for a number of reasons, but This is right. They paid it lip service.

Lip service seems a bit backward when today numerous big actors from the silver screen have regular lead and supporting roles on tv shows these days. It obviously can be done, and it's not like Disney's hemorrhaging money - the biggest obstacles are logistics, and politics (which seem weirdly defensive on the movie side).

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    If they had the budged and clout to get anyone to show up and talk to Phil for the 100'th episode, it should've been the Cap'n.

Also, I find it weird that in these sorts of stories
    where someone loses a limb, there isn't any cloning technology or something to help with that.

I mean they've got inter-dimensional portals and aliens and robots and super-humans and flying cars and all kinds of shit but re-growing limbs? NOPE. That's a bridge too far. Have this sick flamethrower/chainsaw robot hand though.

Especially in like... Star Wars. They can clone a whole goddamn army in that universe, but can't re-grow a freaking hand? C'mon.

RT800 on