As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To what degree...a PC discussion

ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I spent the first part of my work morning putting together Christmas gifts and cards for my employees. I bought bags of chocolates (always a favorite around here) and individually inscribed a witticism into a Christmas card for each, taking care to personalize them. I then took the leftover cards and gave them to my counterpart for her to do with her employees. Since our employees work closely together, we wanted to make sure that they all received similar cards and gifts to avoid discussions about who got what and how much was spent.

To my shock, she let me know that my Christmas cards were inappropriate. The cards were simple, with a B&W photo of a snowman on front, and inside it said "...dreaming of a white Christmas." Lo and behold though, she refused to use the cards because we have black and hispanic employees who would be offended by the use of the term "white Christmas."

So the discussion starts, and now several people are involved in the appropriateness (or lack thereof) of using the term white in this way.

So my question to the group is, to what degree does one need to be careful of offense like this? Is it presumptive to assume mal intent by receiving a card like this? To be honest, I started to doubt my initial conviction that she was blowing it out of proportion. At lunch I will be going down the street to replace the 5 cards in question just to be sure, but...well...wow.

ryuprecht on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oddment would approve.

Quid on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well considering its a phrase from a somewhat famous song, I would feel it was ok. Anyone who would be offended by that was already looking for something to be offended about before hand.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well considering its a phrase from a somewhat famous song, I would feel it was ok. Anyone who would be offended by that was already looking for something to be offended about before hand.

I think there are definitely ways that it could be part of a hostile work environment. For instance, if all the minority employees got the white christmas cards, and no one else did. However, I don't think that as it stands it sounds offensive, precisely because that's about as bland as christmas cards come.

MrMister on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just don't mention Jesus. The press goes WILD if you bring him into this.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is just like the merry christmas/happy holidays thread. Chances are no one is actually dick enough to bitch about a free gift, and unless "white christmas" has some secret slave meaning I don't know about, I don't think any minority group would get worked up over it. Your misses is probably just being cautious.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do the Christmas cards in question prominently feature pictures of KKK members, burning crosses, or lynchings?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    This just in:

Some things other than skin are white.

Doc on
  • Options
    Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The song in question was thought to be racist, which was a total urban myth, and now for some reason people associate that saying with racial prejudice.

I say damn the man, you are being nice and spreading holiday cheer. Nobody should be offended by your cards.

Unless you are a closet white supremacist.

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    This just in:

A lot of people would find this earth-shattering news. It's actually pretty sad, when people go too far with political correctness and start just messing things up.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    I don't really think that it would be a big deal, unless you're a known racist or something.

Then again, you are in California and people on both sides of the political divide are kind of crazy out there.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    This just in:

A lot of people would find this earth-shattering news. It's actually pretty sad, when people go too far with political correctness and start just messing things up.
    99% of the time, I find that it's conservatives strawmanning the PC thing that end up going so far with this stuff.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Do the Christmas cards in question prominently feature pictures of KKK members, burning crosses, or lynchings?
    My Christmas cards do. They're the best Christmas cards ever.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are any of your Hispanic colleagues recent arrivals in America? I guess your counterpart might worry that they don't understand the concept of a "white Christmas", which does rely on knowing the song.

Still though, this is a great thread for an excuse to post this:
    In early December, Healey Primary School in Rochdale sent a note home to parents of 4 to 7-year-old pupils: “Please could parents send just one Christmas card to the whole class rather than asking school for a whole class name list [sic]. This is to avoid tears and tantrums which often occur when Christmas cards are distributed.”

When an outraged parent contacted the Rochdale Observer claiming that this was “political correctness gone mad”, her comments were promptly reported beneath the headline: “School bans Christmas Cards”.

A spokeswoman hastened to point out that cards were “in no way banned” from the school, which was currently preparing for no fewer than three festive productions and a carol service. “The cost of so many cards is prohibitive for some families and we feel the children are often pressurised to act in the same way as their peers,” she explained. “In addition, some children are missed out and feel very upset when this happens.”

How was this reported when it reached the national press the following week? “Furious parents and campaigners last night slammed the politically correct brigade for spoiling the true meaning of Christmas,” roared the Express. “Festive cards are being banned in schools… the season of goodwill is being ruined by Scrooge-like officials fearful of offending other faiths or worried about health and safety rules.” Its sister paper the Daily Star, meanwhile, kept up its own tradition of ignoring all the facts with the front-page headline: “Ban on Christmas cards in case they upset Muslims!”

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are any of your Hispanic colleagues recent arrivals in America? I guess your counterpart might worry that they don't understand the concept of a "white Christmas", which does rely on knowing the song.

Nope, nothing of the sort. It's weird because she's white but married to a black man and seems to take issue on his behalf sometimes.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    This just in:

99% of the time, I find that it's conservatives strawmanning the PC thing that end up going so far with this stuff.

Oh, true enough. It gets pretty scary when someone actually means it though.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »

Nope, nothing of the sort. It's weird because she's white but married to a black man and seems to take issue on his behalf sometimes.

I get irritated at people who nitpick over what's offensive to a group that they don't belong to. I mean, it's one thing if it's something obviously offensive like a swastika on a card or something, but this kind of stuff is bullshit.

Doc on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Æthelred wrote: »

I get irritated at people who nitpick over what's offensive to a group that they don't belong to. I mean, it's one thing if it's something obviously offensive like a swastika on a card or something, but this kind of stuff is bullshit.

Yeah, it's in situations like this, I start publicly making snide and sarcastic remarks about how incredibly stupid people like this are. But it's okay because they're not racist comments.

The snowman didn't happen to have a slightly pointy head or anything, did it?

Dalboz on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Didn't we just do this?

Whatever. There's nothing wrong with being careful to avoid offending someone. But just like everything else, people can be stupid about it.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Since you didn't go out of your way to exclude every other card from the pack I don't see how it can be misconstrued since you clearly did not alter the purchase in anyway to depart from the original meaning.

Also, run on sentences.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Every year on the news, it seems there are a few Jewish/atheist/Muslim folk that make a public campaign about Santa or Frosty being Christian religious figures. I've seen the Jew and atheist so far this year.

Anyway, the few people on TV might be the loudest examples, but in my experience the people most likely to take offense are white, middle class, and haven't faced any significant discrimination in their lives. Hang on, I'm getting to the point here...

ryuprecht, I'd suspect the only people who would be angered by the white Christmas would be white. The people who are "supposed to be" offended most likely won't give a shit.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    Every year on the news, it seems there are a few Jewish/atheist/Muslim folk that make a public campaign about Santa or Frosty being Christian religious figures. I've seen the Jew and atheist so far this year.

Anyway, the few people on TV might be the loudest examples, but in my experience the people most likely to take offense are white, middle class, and haven't faced any significant discrimination in their lives. Hang on, I'm getting to the point here...

ryuprecht, I'd suspect the only people who would be angered by the white Christmas would be white. The people who are "supposed to be" offended most likely won't give a shit.

And isn't it a whole new and exciting form of racism to try and take over the fight against racism and tell black people what they should and shouldn't be offended by?

Why not ask someone in your office who's black or Hispanic? In the very few occasions this kind of thing has come up in my life, I've just asked someone who is part of that minority.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shoulda' told her to shove it.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shoulda' told her to shove it.

Give her a candy cane with written instructions on how to shove it up her anus. I have no idea where this tightassed attitude came from but I don't think it being around before 1995.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm sorry but that is just plain retarded. Snow=white. You should give her a photoshopped card with a bunch of African Americans hanging with white people cheering at the sight of it and ask her if that is more appropriate*.

*You shouldn't actually do this.

Seriously though, crying racism at every possible thing even though it is clearly not, makes cases of real racism receive less attention. I live near detroit, and I hear ridiculous claims of racism on the news quite frequently. For instance, one family of a black man claimed it was racism when a cop shot a guy who was high on drugs and shooting at him.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    an_alt wrote: »

Eh, that's nothing compare to the loud drone of "RESIST THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!" coming from all sides for the past few years.

Doc on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

I think there are definitely ways that it could be part of a hostile work environment. For instance, if all the minority employees got the white christmas cards, and no one else did. However, I don't think that as it stands it sounds offensive, precisely because that's about as bland as christmas cards come.
    ^

There are generally ways to use anything in a hostile fashion, but this hardly would be the OPs intent I would assume.

There is sadly, for every person with legitimate issue with society, a smaller subset of people who generally go looking for things to be offended about because that's just how you make people pay attention to you (and we've had several shoot through this forum on occasion).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm sorry but that is just plain retarded. Snow=white. You should give her a photoshopped card with a bunch of African Americans hanging with white people cheering at the sight of it and ask her if that is more appropriate*.

*You shouldn't actually do this.

Seriously though, crying racism at every possible thing even though it is clearly not, makes cases of real racism receive less attention. I live near detroit, and I hear ridiculous claims of racism on the news quite frequently. For instance, one family of a black man claimed it was racism when a cop shot a guy who was high on drugs and shooting at him.

Are you serious? Anyone with half a brain would realize that a cop will shoot back no matter what color the druggies' skin is.

I don't know about people in general, but with me and some people I know, if something is continuously flaunted in TV and other media, it loses its effect. It happened with 9/11, and the Tsunami. The media just ground it in the viewers face day after day, week after week, and eventually I was so sick of it, that I didn't want to hear anything to do with them. I just started to tune them out. I'd imagine the same would happen with everybody going crazy over perceived racism. Overuse tends to make things lose their impact.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If their is a war on Christmas, whoever is fighting it is doing a horrible fucking job, more US citizens celebrate Christmas now than any time in any nation’s existence. It’s just another case of the majority throwing their weight by pretending to be offended every time someone tells them “Happy Holidays”. Turns out that a lot of the right wing media [fox] simply fabricated a lot of the anti-Christmas stories as a way of making conservatives mad at liberals, then they'll vote in crazy numbers. For the most part, the 'War on Christmas' is fake.

My card from this year. It was well received.

photo.jpg

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This just in:

Although how many of us have seen actually white people (people who would be nicknamed "fff")? Apart from Michael Jackson (which is confusing on so many levels).

Cyvros on