Options

Hello Again... [Slay the Spire]

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite things is to rig a Nightmare so it always ends up in my opening hand, and then get an upgraded Backstab in there as well

45 damage on the second turn for free, plus the cards all exhaust so you don't have to be worried about your deck getting clogged up

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Bag of Marbles works well with that setup, too.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bag of Marbles is also good with champions belt and against enemies that start with artifact.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I got my first non-daily win finally, with the Silent. Forgot to grab the deets, gonna go back and do that and edit. Also, the daily on for the next ~3 hours was fun, too.

EDIT:

iogy4dujy7wb.jpg

Goose! on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah yesterday's daily was pretty great.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I was predicting that character 3 would either be a wizard or a robot. My wife was excited to find out, so she switched to the beta branch, and guess what!
    It's both!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Wow, I think char 3 might supplant The Silent as my favorite.
    Here's what I've seen so far.

He (It?) starts each combat with 3 Orb Slots, but he can gain more through certain cards.

Cards can Channel one of 4 elements (that I've seen so far) into an Orb Slot. At the end of each turn, the orb performs its passive function. Evocation happens on cards that trigger it, and it will evoke whatever orb is at the front of the queue, consuming it. I've seen one or two cards that evoke all orbs simultaneously.
    • Dark (passive: orb accumulates power, evoke: orb deals accumulated damage),
    • Ice (passive: gain 2 block, evoke: gain 5 block),
    • Lightning (passive: deal 3 damage at random, evoke: deal 8 damage at random)
    • Plasma (passive: gain 1 extra energy per turn, evoke: gain 2 energy)

He starts with Zap, which Channels 1 lightning for 1 energy; upgrading it reduces its cost to 0. He also starts with Dualcast, which evokes a single orb twice for 2 energy.

If he Channels when all his Orb Slots are full, it Evokes the front Orb automatically.

There appear to be "basic" channeling cards for ice and lightning. However, there are a number of attacks or skills that will also Channel an element.

My favorite non-elemental card is Streamline. It costs 2 to do 15 damage, but it costs 1 less each time it is played.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I am having to start over on the beta version to unlock everything. So I will be trying that laterish.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Just abandon run on ironclad and silent to unlock the new character

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Hmmm I didn't realize. Thought you needed a score to unlock em. Thanks, that's good to know.

Goose! on
  • Options
    I won a game with the new guy. It turns out block builds are definitely valid! You have to pick up as much focus as possible it seems

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I won a game with the new guy. It turns out block builds are definitely valid! You have to pick up as much focus as possible it seems

What good focus cards have you found? Allocate is the most common one I've seen, and that's real rough.

• Options
    I would be interested to see how new guy's stuff interacts with daily modifiers that let you greet cards from other classes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

What good focus cards have you found? Allocate is the most common one I've seen, and that's real rough.

I can’t remember the name now, but one that flat out gives you 1/2 focus, like footwork or inflame. I had two or three of them, not sure if I got lucky or they’re relatively common.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    all my friends are in the closed beta branch and have been talking about the defect for weeks, it's been maddening

• Options
    Its in open beta now I'm pretty sure, I just turned beta on and it worked. I don't have a special account or anything

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah it's public now, you can play it as long as you checked the box for betas in steam

I'm excited to try it but I gotta play the silent first (my brain does not allow me to just abandon a run)

• Options
    Powers are huge with The Defect. Hopefully that means that the Awakened One is a rare (or maybe never) encounter final boss because boy would that be unpleasant.

The power card that gives you a lightning orb whenever you play a power + the card that gives you a random power every turn + the power that gives you a random common every turn, all innate, plus an innate curse and whatever rando card was my opening turn for the last boss (the shapes). And I felt like I destroyed them. Dude gets very powerful very fast.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Powers are huge with The Defect. Hopefully that means that the Awakened One is a rare (or maybe never) encounter final boss because boy would that be unpleasant.

The power card that gives you a lightning orb whenever you play a power + the card that gives you a random power every turn + the power that gives you a random common every turn, all innate, plus an innate curse and whatever rando card was my opening turn for the last boss (the shapes). And I felt like I destroyed them. Dude gets very powerful very fast.

Yea, I can't imagine some of these abilities are going to get nerfed, as they should with BETA testing. Amplify plus your Power of choice seems pretty nuts. This is of course without having seen all the powers of The Defect.

. . .I am a bit worried though that the mechanic might be too over-gimmicked. . .at least compared to Iron and Silent. On it's own it's pretty fun and inventive.

Also I'd love for them to add PvP to this game at some point. Slot other players as Elites maybe?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    This game is still a lot of fun, and they have added some new stuff (to the beta, that is): They tweaked some cards, added a couple new ones for the Defect. They also added new potions!

There's a potion that gives you +1 intangible, one that gives you 4 plate armor, a potion that give you a random attack that costs 0 for that turn (and there's potions for power and skill cards as well), a potion that gives you 3 thorns damage, a potion that heals 10% of your max HP, a potion that lets you discard as many cards as you want and then draw that same amount of cards, and possibly more but those are the ones I saw in my latest run at the daily.

• Options
    There's one that gives an enemy vulnerable too, I saw that one.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    It didn't matter that I lost to the last boss due to a misplay, for I have lived as few dared to dream.
    of2b3v1rvfcp.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I see you also have a Ghost Faced Killah active for that turn. Seems pretty good.

• Options
    You used that Storm of Steel first, right?

• Options
    If you have not purchased this game but are thinking about it, this is a good deal:

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Okay, time to stop cluttering up the Steam thread.

I just lost a very promising poison Silent with two upgraded Bouncing Flasks, two Noxious Clouds, and a Snecko Skull to a goddamn Act II Plated Parasite, and I'm madder than I've ever been before. This is the one build that should take zero shit off any Plated Parasite.

Also, my first mystery square has been the Cleric three out of my last four runs, and I'm beginning to suspect he's fucking with me at this point.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Have they changed much in the last 7 months since there was a post in this thread?

• Options
    A couple of weeks ago they added the fourth act! Which apparently includes an actual ending for each character, although I've gotten nowhere near it yet. Plus a couple of new events and elites and a whole mess of balance changes and bug fixes in weekly patches.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    New potions and relics and colorless cards too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago they added the fourth act! Which apparently includes an actual ending for each character, although I've gotten nowhere near it yet. Plus a couple of new events and elites and a whole mess of balance changes and bug fixes in weekly patches.

Act 4 is still Beta only, I think?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It was for a while, but they released it to the general build on November 15.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I finally beat act IV with the most broken fucking Silent build I've ever had. 3 Catalyst+ and the 5 Apparition card event, so I never even took boss damage the whole run.

• Options
    Last time I beat it with the Ironclad was a build with 4 Metalisice, 3 Inflame, Carnage and Immolate.

I still hold that Dead Branch Shiv builds are the height of hilarity. Preferably with that book that may add one of 3 cards to your deck every turn.

• Options
    Nilry's Codex can definitely allow you to do some fun stuff. Works really well with corruption decks obviously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've made it to the end of Act IV twice now, and twice got my shop comprehensively wrecked without putting more than a few dings into the final boss. I think it's time to start getting real serious about deck size discipline.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I say that, and then beat it on my very next run with a bloated Defect deck filled with power cards and Claws.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Defect is the closest I have gotten to beating the final boss so far, but I haven't done it yet

He has those attacks where he hits for two damage twelve times or whatever, and when combined with an upgraded static discharge those get real goofy

• Options
    Extra orb slots, defrags, glaciers and claws is my favorite Defect bullshit

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Ahahah, Jesus. Well, it was a nice Spire while it lasted, I guess.

rxo0jek1w0s6.png

Edit: Beefed it to a Gremlin Nob on floor six without finding any shivs. This fuckin' game.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I just had the weirdest Silent game

I got the Necronomicon, and then pinned a Choke+ in my opening hand, along with a couple of Backstabs

Which, when combined with a +8 strength from by Du-Vu Doll, meant I was regularly laying out a hundred damage in that first round

If that wasn't enough to kill the enemies in question, I'd end up in rough shape on a long term level, but usually it did the trick