As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    After I finished Ac Origins I was wanting to come back to this and finish it, but yikes you guys make it sound abysmal.

I was enjoying it for a good while and really enjoyed the Carnan quests. They were my favourite part of the game. It also has some nice boss encounters and challenges. It would have stayed fun if it was a wee bit shorter and it didn't over stays it's welcome. The end game stuff is optional and the devs say the final cutscene is just a bonus. I just had to 100% one game this year and made the mistake of picking this one since I thought I was close and had most of the achievements without trying but nope.

The game is also in the Arkham/Assassin's Creed style which feels a bit fatigued at this point. The nemesis system is a great addition but after putting the time into the campaign you start to see it's cracks. It's not enough to keep that style of game fresh. They throw so many captains at you all the time they repeat often and become less memorable. If there were fewer captains, less ambushes and random encounters. Ambushes are so frequent and have so many triggers they get in the way. Like sometimes you summon a Caragor mount to go somewhere to do something and some guy ganks you instantly because you mount it. Instead of a surprise it's ugh not another one. The starting zone doesn't help because it's so heavily populated.

Basically the game is a bit too long. If your interested in finishing it my advice would be blast through it on normal and either ignore the shadow wars or dip in a little at a time. Judging by the stats on the final gear set the game might expect you to finish around 35-40 and auto scale pit fights which might be the root of the issues I'm experiencing. If the pit fights are static this will be terrible advice though. One tip that'll help there is if the pit fighter is weak to something or can be dazed it's pretty easy to have a captain 10 ish levels below him rip him apart if they can get the stuns off. My level 37 guy almost beat a level 56 captain in a pit fight but the captain enraged near the end before he could be dazed again.

AC origins was the next game on my list but I bumped it down a few places because I was worried it'd be too similar but by all accounts it's pretty awesome and shakes things up enough.

danx on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    After I finished Ac Origins I was wanting to come back to this and finish it, but yikes you guys make it sound abysmal.

@Preacher

Its super exaggerated. If you just play the game instead of focusing on OMG MICROTRANSACTIONS its a perfectly fun game to play. I swear, some parts of the Internet are not happy unless they are mad about a game.

Personally I enjoyed the hell out of it until Shadow Wars and just considered it the end of the game instead of forcing myself through something I didn't enjoy and complaining about it.

Got a good 30 hours or so of great gameplay.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »

Preacher

Its super exaggerated. If you just play the game instead of focusing on OMG MICROTRANSACTIONS its a perfectly fun game to play. I swear, some parts of the Internet are not happy unless they are mad about a game.

Personally I enjoyed the hell out of it until Shadow Wars and just considered it the end of the game instead of forcing myself through something I didn't enjoy and complaining about it.

I had already been playing shadow of war, just got to around level 33? I think and got fatigued, felt like the game was turning into a grind without much of a pay out and I got smoked by a fortress boss who was like an assassin with no save move and that kind of bugged me. I hate that leading a successful siege didn't do shit for that last fight.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »

I was enjoying it for a good while and really enjoyed the Carnan quests. They were my favourite part of the game. It also has some nice boss encounters and challenges. It would have stayed fun if it was a wee bit shorter and it didn't over stays it's welcome. The end game stuff is optional and the devs say the final cutscene is just a bonus. I just had to 100% one game this year and made the mistake of picking this one since I thought I was close and had most of the achievements without trying but nope.

The game is also in the Arkham/Assassin's Creed style which feels a bit fatigued at this point. The nemesis system is a great addition but after putting the time into the campaign you start to see it's cracks. It's not enough to keep that style of game fresh. They throw so many captains at you all the time they repeat often and become less memorable. If there were fewer captains, less ambushes and random encounters. Ambushes are so frequent and have so many triggers they get in the way. Like sometimes you summon a Caragor mount to go somewhere to do something and some guy ganks you instantly because you mount it. Instead of a surprise it's ugh not another one. The starting zone doesn't help because it's so heavily populated.

Basically the game is a bit too long. If your interested in finishing it my advice would be blast through it on normal and either ignore the shadow wars or dip in a little at a time. Judging by the stats on the final gear set the game might expect you to finish around 35-40 and auto scale pit fights which might be the root of the issues I'm experiencing. If the pit fights are static this will be terrible advice though. One tip that'll help there is if the pit fighter is weak to something or can be dazed it's pretty easy to have a captain 10 ish levels below him rip him apart if they can get the stuns off. My level 37 guy almost beat a level 56 captain in a pit fight but the captain enraged near the end before he could be dazed again.

AC origins was the next game on my list but I bumped it down a few places because I was worried it'd be too similar but by all accounts it's pretty awesome and shakes things up enough.

I'd super recommend Origins. It clicked for me in a way an AC game hasn't in a long time/ever.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Raynaga wrote: »

Preacher

I had already been playing shadow of war, just got to around level 33? I think and got fatigued, felt like the game was turning into a grind without much of a pay out and I got smoked by a fortress boss who was like an assassin with no save move and that kind of bugged me. I hate that leading a successful siege didn't do shit for that last fight.

Same here. I didn't bother with Shadow War and basically just treated the game as ending there. But there's some great game to be had up to that. Not every title has to be perfect, is my thought.

And I can also attest that AC:O is great. Particularly if you can play it on an Xbone X with an appropriate television.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    New patch. Outlaw Tribe. Who cares. New difficulty mode. Who cares.

Meat:

*Made it easier for Orcs to shed Iron Will upon being shamed. Reduced the likelihood that Iron Will would be given to Orcs in various situations.
    *Shaming an Orc no longer removes strengths if he is at least level 60.
    *Captains who are retreating (but not terrified) can now adapt to stealth attacks while in flight.
    *Nearby Orcs will now hear and react to mines that have been detonated.

*Increased green gem life steal in weapons and increased Mirian drop from white gems in weapons based on weapon type.
    *Fixed an issue where Overlords would inappropriately gain incorrect levels when winning a friendly Online Pit Fight match.
    *Fixed a bug where victorious Overlords could still be killed by damage-over-time effects during Online Fight Pits.
    *Improved rewards for Online Fight Pit chests.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Notes for new difficulty
    Free Content Updates and Features (Included in the patch)
    Gravewalker Difficulty: A new, higher difficulty level even more challenging than Nemesis, including:
    By default, the player gets no Last Chances.
    Enemies are more perceptive and able to spot a stealthy player from farther away. They are no longer surprised when they spot a player, and remember a vanished player for longer.
    Orcs gain more levels when they kill the player.
    Orcs gain more levels when a Death Threat is sent.
    Orcs gain more levels when they become Maniacs.
    More Orc Captains are present roaming the world.
    Nemesis Missions have shorter durations, necessitating decisions to rescue or get vengeance.
    Worms are less frequent, have much better senses, and can defend themselves as they flee.
    Enemies deal more damage, particularly grunts and monsters.
    Players deal less damage to Captains.
    Environmental hazards deal more damage to the player and slightly less to enemies. Expect some grunts to survive a barrel explosion.
    Enemies adapt slightly more quickly to player attacks.
    Enemies attack slightly more quickly, and are more likely to coordinate attacks.
    Enraged Orcs are harder to disrupt.
    Retreating enemies adapt to stealth attacks.
    Siege Beasts take less damage from their ammo packs exploding.
    Followers bleed out quicker.
    Shortened duration of ‘Dazed’ state triggered by fear and weaknesses.
    Poisoning a barrel from ranged or using distract costs Focus.
    Slightly increased drain time for critters, grunts, and Captains.
    Please note, Gravewalker Difficulty was previously known as Brutal Difficulty.

Sounds annoying more than anything especially the quicker adaptations but might be fun to give it a wee go if the game had multiple save slots. Also I didn't realise you could spam stealth attacks on terrified enemies. :surprised:

They fixed the super annoying flashing white particle effect bug that was giving me a headache.

Spoilered full notes.
    Shadow of War PC Patch Notes v1.08
    Free Content Updates and Features (Included in the patch)
    Gravewalker Difficulty: A new, higher difficulty level even more challenging than Nemesis, including:

By default, the player gets no Last Chances.
    Enemies are more perceptive and able to spot a stealthy player from farther away. They are no longer surprised when they spot a player, and remember a vanished player for longer.
    Orcs gain more levels when they kill the player.
    Orcs gain more levels when a Death Threat is sent.
    Orcs gain more levels when they become Maniacs.
    More Orc Captains are present roaming the world.
    Nemesis Missions have shorter durations, necessitating decisions to rescue or get vengeance.
    Worms are less frequent, have much better senses, and can defend themselves as they flee.
    Enemies deal more damage, particularly grunts and monsters.
    Players deal less damage to Captains.
    Environmental hazards deal more damage to the player and slightly less to enemies. Expect some grunts to survive a barrel explosion.
    Enemies adapt slightly more quickly to player attacks.
    Enemies attack slightly more quickly, and are more likely to coordinate attacks.
    Enraged Orcs are harder to disrupt.
    Retreating enemies adapt to stealth attacks.
    Siege Beasts take less damage from their ammo packs exploding.
    Followers bleed out quicker.
    Shortened duration of ‘Dazed’ state triggered by fear and weaknesses.
    Poisoning a barrel from ranged or using distract costs Focus.
    Slightly increased drain time for critters, grunts, and Captains.
    Please note, Gravewalker Difficulty was previously known as Brutal Difficulty.

Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion DLC (Now available)
    The following content and features will be added to your game upon purchase of the Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion DLC. Please note, if you currently own the Expansion Pass, this content is included with your pass.

Outlaw Tribe

The Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion brings the rebellious and defiant Outlaw tribe to Mordor with their own unique weapons - including the new bola that can trap their enemies at range – and fighting style, added missions, fierce battles, a new fortress theme and more.

New Outlaw Tribe Missions

Outlaw Showdowns: New missions allowing players to face down Captains from the Outlaw tribe, with each showdown bringing unique challenges to complete.
    Outlaw War Bands: Aid your ally and defeat your nemesis when facing off in new Outlaw War Bands quests, as Captains from the Outlaw tribe bring their own forces to clash in battle.
    New Fortress Theme: Fortresses can now be commanded by and embody the characteristics of the contemptuous Outlaw tribe, including themed monuments, outposts and Overlord throne room.
    Legendary Gear Set: Hunt down Legendary Outlaw tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges.
    Purge: Captains from the Outlaw tribe prowl around Mordor in groups, launching deadly ambushes in an attempt to cleanse their land of outsiders. Defend these attacks to keep the Outlaw Orcs in check.

Additional Fixes
    General Stability:

Fixed an issue where some dead Orcs in the Army screen do not get cleared and replaced.
    Fixed an issue when interacting with the Best Defense Mission, where new Captains could be generated in Núrnen and inadvertently overwrite some of the Orcs in a player’s hierarchy.
    Fixed an issue where a captured Overlord from Endless Siege could be instantly killed instead of being placed in a Rescue Mission.
    Fixed an issue where some of the alarms in Minas Ithil could be triggered by Orcs, even after you have successfully disabled their outposts.
    Fixed an issue where mounted Orcs could choose not to battle when in a Fight Pit.
    Fixed an issue that resulted in corrupted, bright white FX with certain explosions, flames or impacts.
    Fixed a softlock that could occur during an Online Fit Pit loss when the only remaining follower is a prisoner.
    Fixed an issue where enemy Slaughter tribe Orcs would not choose Siege upgrades.
    Fixed many environment and movement issues, particularly with Slaughter tribe assets.
    Fixed a bug where followers would sometimes disappear from the player’s hierarchy after they successfully completed a Fight Pit.
    Fixed a bug where Slaughter and Outlaw Captains would sometimes fail to enter the player’s hierarchy after playing their tribal missions.
    Fixed a bug that caused a bright square FX to display on screen.
    Fixed some possible softlocks that could occur when accessing an Online Fight Pit.
    General stability improvements and crash fixes.

User Interface (UI):

Fixed an issue where the “Track Challenge” toggle did not function correctly on first input.
    Fixed an issue where the Nemesis Missions tab in the Quest Log could get stuck at 97%.
    Added Speaker Test functionality to the Sound menu in Options.
    Tribal Invasion Missions no longer appear as main story missions on the World Map.
    The Expansions tab in the Quest Log now correctly indicates when tribe DLC is owned but not yet unlocked in your campaign.
    Fixed a bug where the Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion would not display as owned in the Quest Log.
    Fixed various error message bugs that could manifest when the game is not connected online.

Balance:

Made it easier for Orcs to shed Iron Will upon being shamed. Reduced the likelihood that Iron Will would be given to Orcs in various situations.
    Shaming an Orc no longer removes strengths if he is at least level 60.
    Captains who are retreating (but not terrified) can now adapt to stealth attacks while in flight.
    Nearby Orcs will now hear and react to mines that have been detonated.
    Increased green gem life steal in weapons and increased Mirian drop from white gems in weapons based on weapon type.
    Fixed an issue where Overlords would inappropriately gain incorrect levels when winning a friendly Online Pit Fight match.
    Fixed a bug where victorious Overlords could still be killed by damage-over-time effects during Online Fight Pits.
    Improved rewards for Online Fight Pit chests.

Other:

Added functionality identifying when a new game patch is available. When a new game patch is available, users will be prompted to update. Until the user updates to the latest patch, online functionality will not be accessible.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    oh my god fuck the targeting in this game so hard

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nawwwwww

Surely you meant to vault over that unvaultable Olog, and not the Orc captain directly infront of you.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Nawwwwww

Surely you meant to vault over that unvaultable Olog, and not the Orc captain directly infront of you.
    Actually, it was always my intention to Execute a random mook rather than the Captain who is Mortally Vulnerable to them.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Lest it is better than the first game.

Are you sure you mean to grab that uruk? Cause I'm pretty sure you actually wanted to pick this herb.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I just started playing this and the sound is so fucked up. When I interrogate a dude the initial wraith noise is so fucking loud and any time I walk near the arrows stuck into things the noise from them actually blocks out every other noise, including dialog. I have no idea how to fix this.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    oh my god fuck the targeting in this game so hard

The best thing is when you spec the Wraith to dominate/drain when on ledges and have stealth toggled on. Stealth drain goes through but Talion lets go of the fucking ledge. Good job game.

There's another one where you try to descend ledges and instead you dominate a fucking captain or grunt who's not on the screen. Really fun thing to happen on missions that require you to remain undetected.

I just started playing this and the sound is so fucked up. When I interrogate a dude the initial wraith noise is so fucking loud and any time I walk near the arrows stuck into things the noise from them actually blocks out every other noise, including dialog. I have no idea how to fix this.

If you got it on Steam validate the install. Other than that I'd check it's set to the right type of audio output and the right quality in the audio menu in game. Those seem to be the root of many sound issues with the game.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Started to play this in the last couple of weeks since the new DLC came out and I can now play as Cate Blanchett. Fun, but not a fan of endless orc exposition that I can't interrupt. It's utterly maddening that you can be in the middle of large scale combat only to have some shitheel orc show up and give a little speech about how, well, what I don't know - because they don't matter. They don't matter at all. They're just another orc that I'm either going to enslave or murder. If sufficiently pissed off, I might beat them down and try to drive them into madness just for laughs. That said, I have been enjoying it, and I guess Celebrimbor's single minded determination telegraphs where things are going to go. Somehow it seems like they're making Shelob... on the side of good? Or maybe just not on the side of Sauron. Not a fan of spiders, so in that sense, I'm happy she's not all spidery most of the time. Her spider form is rather uninspired after the movie version however. Lore goes pretty much full retard from the outset, I'm not a Tolkien scholar, but I know that a lot of dates and such are completely out of whack and this goes back to the first game, etc. Baranor is a nice addition, and I actually said, "Wow, a black dude in Lord of the Rings" which made my wife pop her head in and ask what I was talking about.

The shelob memory game and the elvish word bits are pretty dodgy, mostly flick the sticks until it comes together. Combat is a mixed bag, the inability to set a focused target is frustrating as people have noted but executing orcs in combat brutally is fairly amusing. Overall I do enjoy the combat, even with some of the odd swoop to an orc 30' away to smack them. I did have a hilariously shitty time chasing an orc that I couldn't snare as I had no elfshot, and ended up chasing him across the world. He kept throwing down ye olde flashbangs and I considered giving up just because it was going to give me a fucking seizure. Eventually I wound up low on health as I'd get close and get flashbanged and some random caragor jumped me from off camera so I had no opportunity to dodge. For whatever reason, I had no prompt to stave off the fatal attack and that was that. The world is rather nice, I'm glad there's a variety of architecture and settings.

I've found that I often just putter around smacking up orcs and eventually find that I've beaten down all but one or two. When I take on the mid ranks, their bodyguard inevitably turn on them and we make quick work of them. The siege itself is underwhelming. I run from target to target and crush the enemy easily, then take on the overlord. I've only done two, with the first being a scripted resolution but the second one was a bit of a prick. He was a crossbow wielding one and I didn't realize my army would just wait outside for me, leaving me to face the inside alone. He managed to level up off me before I went back with a bodyguard, killed his ranged attackers above and then killed him. I hope the next couple citadels are a bit more compelling because the first two sieges with entirely underwhelming.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Lest it is better than the first game.

Are you sure you mean to grab that uruk? Cause I'm pretty sure you actually wanted to pick this herb.

Why wouldn't you want to uselessly grope the air? Groping the air is the international hand signal in singleplayer games.

• Options
    I got the perk/talent/thing that lets you auto pickup loot by running over it. How is that not the default?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They're removing some of the lootboxes, gold and the market

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Important-Free-Updates-Coming-to-Shadow-of-War/m-p/1831034

TL;DR

-Warchests make the Nemesis system moot and break immersion so they, gold and the market are being removed from the game. Other loot box types (Gear, Training orders, etc.) will still be obtainable, but not purchasable via money or in-game currency.
    -The Shadow War endgame is being reworked to be streamlined and include additional story elements. If you already beat it, it won't be reset though. So wah wah.
    -Upcoming updates will include Nemesis System updates, new player skins, skill tree additions, gear system upgrades and progression updates

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Decent, but I think that's a case of the horse having already bolted.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully this is a sign that parent companies are starting to realise pushing this shit on their developers results in bad press that long term isn't worth the profit bump of microtransactions. You could tell nobody who made this game wanted them in, it was likely all higher up pushes that now are being reevaluated

But yeah they kind of lose their cred by doing this long after everyone already played the game, and likely exactly when microtransactions sales have started to die down anyway

Prohass on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They're removing some of the lootboxes, gold and the market

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Important-Free-Updates-Coming-to-Shadow-of-War/m-p/1831034

TL;DR

-Warchests make the Nemesis system moot and break immersion so they, gold and the market are being removed from the game. Other loot box types (Gear, Training orders, etc.) will still be obtainable, but not purchasable via money or in-game currency.
    -The Shadow War endgame is being reworked to be streamlined and include additional story elements. If you already beat it, it won't be reset though. So wah wah.
    -Upcoming updates will include Nemesis System updates, new player skins, skill tree additions, gear system upgrades and progression updates

Gee you don't say, who could have warned of that fact :rotate:

I'm glad they're doing it but geez this change isn't going to do much for sales at this point. I might go back and finish the playthrough I had going since they're reducing the grindy stupidity but that doesn't really help them.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That's pretty much my "Benefit of the doubt" take on it things. Dev team didn't want the loot boxes but had to add them in due to corporate, and now that the game is far enough from launch they're being allowed to remove them.

Whether or not future WB games have loot boxes like this will be the real proof in the pudding.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I think a blanket ban is unlikely, but what publishers might start doing is listening to their developers and making a compromise, ie, instead of forcing a certain level of microtransactions on the game no matter what, they'll start listening to the developers and work out a level they think would be appropriate for the game, basically a sweet spot. Because given the easy profits involved I don't see them totally going away, but publishers are obviously slowly realising that egregious and saturated microtransactions aren't ideal either and potential compromise the success of the core game especially if they become notorious at launch

For instance publishers should, if they had any sense, start looking at the kind of games and microtransactions that get backlash, ie battlefront and middle earth, and compare them to games that had microtransactions but didn't result in such a significant backlash, like assassins creed origins and far cry 5, and maybe do the work to figure out why

Prohass on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

These are pretty exciting changes for those of us who will be picking this up on a steam sale in two-three years.

That announcement just made them nearly 10* dollars!

*(2019 dollars)

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Well, I haven't bought the game yet because of all the negative press, and now I might actually do so (although I'll wait for a sale of the GOTY edition, whenever that happens).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I bought it, and never got around to beating it due to a billion other games, got near the end of Act 2. I just started playing again last week, looks like I'm gonna be putting off my playthrough again lmao

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ll admit I was severely put off because of the war chests and Shadow War grind. This change means I’ll seriously look at the game again.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yup I recently started it but I will now hold off on playing it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    What's the cost in servers for supporting microtransactions? Because I figure at some point it's costing you more than you're making to keep it going, so you may as well get rid of it and save yourself the maintenance fees.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Hmmm, if the whole game is retooled to let the nemesis system work as intended, I could get back in to playing it I think. I don't know if just removing the loot boxes is going to fix the problem of orc captain over-saturation though. Or the grind. Hopefully that's what "Nemesis system updates" and "Progression updates" means.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    What's the cost in servers for supporting microtransactions? Because I figure at some point it's costing you more than you're making to keep it going, so you may as well get rid of it and save yourself the maintenance fees.

Depends on if you're doing literally anything else with online. If yes, the extra load isn't too bad. If microtransactions are the only form of online, that's not an insignificant cost.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

Depends on if you're doing literally anything else with online. If yes, the extra load isn't too bad. If microtransactions are the only form of online, that's not an insignificant cost.

Likewise, the publishers et al. have to host digital downloads, patching, and any additional online content anyway. It seems like that would involve a lot more cost the microtransaction service.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's likely costing them more in the near term to remove the microtransactions than it would to just keep chugging along with them.

They're taking a loss to promote future growth, basically. Expect a GOTY edition for Christmas.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I'd expect a complete edition around August or September, if not sooner.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    We'll never know why they did an about-face, maybe it was something in the works all along, maybe they are 'listening'. Perhaps they already milked the early adopters of their cash and the tail end for the microtransactions started to wane so they are mainly doing it to get more cash.

I'm cynical as hell, but I don't 'buy' any of that story or nemesis reasoning, it's all about $$$. The story and nemesis reasoning is also just parroting a bunch of stuff reviewers and consumers have stated since the release now, so again, I think they are doing it for $$$, which can be generated through "good will". I also don't buy the narrative that the "developers" didn't want it, Destiny 2 showed us that, yes, some developers do indeed want this stuff but still the myth persists.

Even so, I'm glad they are doing it. They didn't have to and this is a bunch of work and time that they could have easily avoided. I hope it works out and that they are doing it for the right reasons.

• Options
    I'd guess they weren't making much from microtransations, so they could argue for getting rid of them. If they were making big money off them, it disrupting the story or balance wouldn't make any dent as an argument.

• Options

Well, I haven't bought the game yet because of all the negative press, and now I might actually do so (although I'll wait for a sale of the GOTY edition, whenever that happens).

All the various editions were on sale over xmas on Xbox so I grabbed it and finished the main game and now working my way through the lady elf DLC. It's fun, has the same drawbacks as the first one where you can't target mobs specifically and you sometimes do weird shit that you never wanted to do. Lore is full retard, seriously. It's so bad. I don't read the books every year or anything, in fact, I probably haven't read them in 10 years or more, but my eyes rolled out of my head and around town at some of the stupid shit they do. Basic gameplay is fun though!

I just never bought any lootboxes so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You could buy it and not spend cash on the MTs and be fine before this change.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah I ignored loot boxes completely, they're the least of the game's issues. Having your gameplay randomly paused every 2 minutes for an unskippable 30 second cutscene is a considerably bigger problem.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The real reason for this move is crap sales figures, bad PR over loot boxes and Star Wars Battlefront II removing their loot boxes (which results in more bad PR for those that keep them).

Thing is it's probably happening waaaaaay too late in the game's life to really juice sales.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    If anything it's a way to get some more publicity out of it by getting it mentioned and talked about and hey, it's working!

It also game out during a whole rush of decent high profile games coming out, getting people to think about getting it now when there aren't a dozen other major names coming out might help.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Yeah I ignored loot boxes completely, they're the least of the game's issues. Having your gameplay randomly paused every 2 minutes for an unskippable 30 second cutscene is a considerably bigger problem.

Stopping every two feet because you ran into a captain is because the orcs were turned into loot. That problem is directly related to the loot boxes.