As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Also, I can't express to y'all how happy on am with how these following shots turned out, and how good they look in black and white.

https://kennethdhughes.myportfolio.com/tsukiji-ginza

This one in particular:

e8811aac-0167-41d7-8e65-798a1eaab15d.jpg?h=4fdd1afd4e3956ea2246b89eb439c7b2

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Last one... some shots from around Ueno:

https://kennethdhughes.myportfolio.com/ueno

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Guess I never posted these? Haven't been out shooting in a bit....Feeling anxious lol

40685785432_e7df4e9210_c.jpgDSC_5667 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

38910232880_c81c0444e1_c.jpgDSC_5160 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular

I like them as verticals.
    Cool stuff man, as always.
    @Peas dig that traffic shot! Great action capture.

Here's an alt edit of the flatirons, think I like it a bit better than the first. I was stubborn about getting rid of the ground on the original edit, mostly because there's a little person walking up the hill and I liked having him in the photo. This one is a little more abstract looking though. Thoughts?!

40247357254_05edd83647_b.jpgFlatirons Flipped by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Aaaand my favorite tree:
    39146730170_0d25c002ac_b.jpgLonely Tree - Spring by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I tried some bird photography yesterday. Bird photography is fucking hard. Third pic is my favourite but it pains me that the shutter speed was too low.

PKjDQRJ.jpg

G4tOftN.jpg

paa5rSw.jpg

• Options
    @Brovid Hasselsmof Nice shots man!

Question time!

I've been eying a super-wide zoom (16-35) and I have a trip in May I want to use it on (Canadian Rockies). How long before the trip should I buy it? I could dip into savings and buy it today, but I would rather not. But am I going to be mad I didn't play with it for a month before my trip?

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    @muninn Thanks man, I've been back and forth about the vertical thing! I've actually got the last one I did as a vertical on my phone background and I really like it that way also. Almost looks like an alien when done like that. Hmmm... maybe I'll try to shorten them up a bit and do some verticals.

@Brovid Hasselsmof Bird photography is pretty tough. Smaller birds are especially tough with their quick movements. Really dig that first one the best as it's the sharpest and I have a tendency towards loving blue backgrounds (for everything apparently), that spot to the right of the bird is really triggering my OCD though. Unless it was an aesthetic choice just plop your mouse down on that sucker with the healing brush!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That first bird shot is pretty goddamn great. The composition is awesome, too.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't know if I have a healing brush in my photo program. I've never done any processing except cropping and adjusting contrast/brightness/saturation.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Pro-Tip for anyone who's getting into photography: Adobe's "Photography" plan is only $10 (USD) per month, and includes full versions of Photoshop and Lightroom (with syncing to mobile Lightroom). It's the best money you'll invest in photography, after your camera and lens.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I don't know if I have a healing brush in my photo program. I've never done any processing except cropping and adjusting contrast/brightness/saturation.

Haha no worries, it is an amazing tool though if you happen to get any adobe program. And as MI said, photoshop and lightroom are more than worth $10 a month in my opinion as long as you can afford it! I really do love that first photo, beautiful capture - I was just being nitpicky ;P

I passed the test for my FAA Part 107 (commercial licence for Unmanned Air Vehicles). Pretty tough test and glad I studied up over the last couple months. Couldn't resist going out this morning as it was an incredible post-snow sunrise.
    40347672184_915e654e52_k.jpgWintry Denver by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Nice pic @Prospicience ! And Hi-5 fellow dronie. I love taking aerial pics.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    And speaking of aerials, here's one I took last year:

5v3hgy2q1u92.jpg

I also really love making things look mini, like this other shot I took last year.

zcwuy3erxcmx.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love tiltshift stuff, so great. What're you using to get the aerial shots, a drone?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    I love tiltshift stuff, so great. What're you using to get the aerial shots, a drone?

Thanks. Yes, a drone. I love tilt-shift-looking stuff, too. Here's another I took:

lhar5vkuu9mx.jpg

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I am weak. I bought the Nikon 16-35 f4. Should be in by this weekend to play with!

And yeah, those aerial shots are super cool!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Rothgarr nice! Is that first one a vertical pano?! Great colors on it, dig the tilt shift vibe in the others too. What are you shooting with?!

@Sublimus not weakness... that is a great lens, looking forward to seeing what you photo with it!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Rothgarr nice! Is that first one a vertical pano?! Great colors on it, dig the tilt shift vibe in the others too. What are you shooting with?!

Thanks! No vertical pan on the first one -- just zoomed and cropped. Anything that looks tilt-shifted is done manually in Photoshop -- the originals are all sharp top to bottom. I'm using an old DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Wish I had the funds to upgrade, especially since I'm getting all kinds of motor errors now...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I passed the test for my FAA Part 107 (commercial licence for Unmanned Air Vehicles). Pretty tough test and glad I studied up over the last couple months. Couldn't resist going out this morning as it was an incredible post-snow sunrise.

@Prospicience
    How hard was the Part 107 test and do feel like it was worth it? What drone/camera do you use?
    I've had a little interest in drone photography but probably not enough to go through the whole process to get a license. Since I am unlikely to sell any images maybe the license isn't even necessary.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

I was just in Denver recently -- here's some photos from a bit higher up, and some from the city itself:

0Jij8V5.jpg

U2sdDRV.jpg

UNKs9U9.jpg

ccPL4d2.jpg

LEDdGcV.jpg

oaMTQ5g.jpg

WrGO6WQ.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2018
    And here's some of the Rockies further north, because for once I managed to take shots that came out something like the way I'd hoped they would:

ifTmPCX.jpg

4RulKWO.jpg

c3DESy6.jpg

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Whoa! That last one!!

Also, got me new lens.....16mm is SO WIDE.

• Options
    Are those from a drone or out of an airplane? If that is from a drone how high are some of those from?

• Options
    Oh, yes, when I said "a bit higher up" I meant "about 30,000 feet higher up" -- these are your normal sort of window-seat-on-a-flight shots. I think the reason these didn't go into the enormous pile of previous shots that aren't good enough is a newer lens; the ZD 12-40/2.8 is really _very_ sharp, which seems to help more than I'd expected it would.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Hah hah. I'm glad you said those were taken from a plane. Beautiful shots, btw.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh, yes, when I said "a bit higher up" I meant "about 30,000 feet higher up" -- these are your normal sort of window-seat-on-a-flight shots. I think the reason these didn't go into the enormous pile of previous shots that aren't good enough is a newer lens; the ZD 12-40/2.8 is really _very_ sharp, which seems to help more than I'd expected it would.

@djmitchella Do you have any specific strategies for shooting out of a plane window? I've always found it rather difficult. The best I could come up with is to use a shirt over the camera like a tent to try and prevent reflections from internal lights. That has never really worked out well.

• Options
    You could use one of these things? http://www.lenskirt.com

Also I know normal plane windows interact weird with polarizer filters. So don't use those.

• Options
    I avoid the internal reflections problem by not taking photos at night -- looking back through all the ones I've taken, there's a few around sunset but even those are pretty iffy. By day, it's usually so much brighter outside than in that it's not a big deal -- it's more awkward trying to find a bit of window that doesn't have forehead/finger smears on it, or unfortunately located condensation.

(not sure about polarizers, but I did fly on one plane where instead of sliding covers to cut out the light, the windows were some sort of LCD panel that dimmed itself automatically, which made it much harder to take photos through it).

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hello photo thread! Finally finished reading the back half of this thread - you folks really take some wonderful shots! Super impressive and inspiring stuff. I've been slowly but surely getting serious about photography over the last two or three years. I bought my current camera, a D5200, back in mid 2016, and have been aquireing lenses here and there since, and taking as many photos as possible. I do a lot of travel, both for work and play, and have had a blast capturing memories from each new and wonderful spot.

I'm currently in New Zealand, and have been really working on practical photography education by taking as many dang photos as possible. Figured I'd post some here (some of these went into the SE++ thread as well); I love to know what I'm doing right and wrong if anyone has any pointers. Most of my shooting down here has been on the 35mm Nikkor f1.8 DX, though I also brought my Tamron 18-200mm superzoom. Also have a cheap Sigma macro lens and the Nikkor 70-300mm back home, but didn't bring them this time.

Anyway! Some photos!

39333041980_f0cb035706_c.jpg
    Drums of Fire

40430428944_1ca20a339a_c.jpg
    Classic Chevy

40454739024_c16cdc683c_c.jpg
    Takapuna Moonrise

27268677568_38c31a9c2d_c.jpg
    Drums of Fire II

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone! There are a lot of inspiring photos in here. I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread before (if I have it's been a very long time); I've been shooting casually for quite a while now but I'm generally too self-critical of my work to actually share it anywhere. That said, I've been trying to branch out into different shooting & editing techniques lately to try and push myself to actually improve, and in doing so I've decided I need to overcome my social anxiety and start sharing photos and actually interacting with people (not sure why I end up with social anxiety about even posting to online forums, but here we are). Here are some things I've shot over the past few months.

Some behind-the-scenes shots of a friend's music video shoot:
    41457123622_da585896f8_c.jpg

41457124702_3287aa4376_c.jpg

40605366745_f9dbda5b0a_c.jpg

26627977657_c8c6cb5bd6_c.jpg

Some assorted car things:
    41103047021_2fc954394d_c.jpg

41103075811_62318aef8a_c.jpg

25280157897_42fb49b3db_c.jpg

34150853665_aab76b167d_c.jpg

Lovely warehouse fire in my town:
    23977503598_ba0f8835a0_c.jpg

• Options
    Nice work!! Good variety of stuff too!

• Options
    Yeah, really dig some of those aerial shots @djmitchella. Especially like the power lines and the rockies with the clouds hovering over them in the distance. If you're ever in Denver again, feel free to hit me up. Looks like you were recommended and hit up some great spots from based on what you said in your thread though!

@firewaterword love those last couple shots. That moonrise photo is especially gorgeous.

Good to see you posting again @Blakout. That red Thunderbird shot has some amazing contrast being surrounded by all those grays. Really love that neon is making a comeback in the past couple years.

My favorite photographer whom uses a ton of neon coloring right now and double exposure is Nick Fancher. Ran across him on instagram a little while back, talk about amazing portraitures.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thank you @Prospicience ! Had a lot of fun playing around that night. Really validated my choice to lug a tripod halfway across the globe. Still, probably took a hundred or so and had a half dozen turn out OK. Really bumped up against the limitations of my superzoom, but it was a good object lesson in working with what ya got.

Ended up hiking up that volcano in the background last week, will try to post some photos from that at some point. Light wasn't great for it, but the views were wonderful as usual.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Good to see you posting again @Blakout. That red Thunderbird shot has some amazing contrast being surrounded by all those grays. Really love that neon is making a comeback in the past couple years.

My favorite photographer whom uses a ton of neon coloring right now and double exposure is Nick Fancher. Ran across him on instagram a little while back, talk about amazing portraitures.

Thank you! I desaturated the foreground handrail and the wall with the "No Parking" sign, which were orange and blue respectively, but I tried to leave some other bits of muted color so it didn't veer too far into "Selective Color" territory. I'd also taken a second exposure with a different CPL turn to merge in and kill the reflections on the top of the car, but I apparently shook while shooting it and it was too blurry to use. I tried to make due with burning down the harsh reflections a little and adding a red 'Color' layer over some of the body panels.

Nick Fancher is great, and this is the first I'd heard of him. My main focus/passion is automotive photography so I'm pretty clueless outside of that world. I've been doing a little more portraiture lately though and I've been enjoying it, so some inspiration from that realm is great.

Semi-related, went to the local Cars & Coffee this weekend. I've only had time to edit one shot so far:
    41562104701_ab99107f1c_c.jpg

Blakout on
  • Options
    I think that's the perfect use of selective coloring. People shit on that technique a lot, but that's basically all you see now in formats like instagram anymore - is crazy amounts of curve layers and selective coloring/boosting of specific colors. The verbage of "selective coloring" just doesn't seem to be used because I don't think that's what it's thought of anymore. Unless it's a red flower popping out of a gray background.

Really though, I didn't even notice it was selective coloring until you mentioned it. Love me some creative car photography. I've been interested in seeing more Eric Pare style light painting with some car photography, think you could get super creative with it. Light painting with inanimate objects in general is great because you can practice as many different techniques as you can handle because the model never tires (pun not intended).

Couple photos from a friend's birthday hike I'd forgotten about.
    40438196204_4f11ff840d_b.jpgAwwww by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

41150322891_fbfb6392a2_b.jpgDSCF2586 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

40438200354_6d10bf877a_b.jpgDSCF2590 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

And some more Rolleiflex film shots.

This one is my favorite I've done so far with that camera, it really is a perfect street photography camera. Going to try to do more street photography this summer with it.
    40715539925_a2178b0700_b.jpgIMG_6016 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

41607036431_580c87edb4_b.jpgIMG_5944 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    Blackout, I really love the car photos. Did you intentionally have the Subaru with the color smoke not level compared to the horizon. I also like how you made the horizon completely flat except for the mountain in the middle.

• Options
    40438200354_6d10bf877a_b.jpgDSCF2590 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

All of those are great, but I love this in particular - the sense of scale is amazing.
    Blackout, I really love the car photos. Did you intentionally have the Subaru with the color smoke not level compared to the horizon. I also like how you made the horizon completely flat except for the mountain in the middle.

Sort of? I didn't notice that it was crooked until near the end of the edit, and by that time it looked strange to me when I straightened it. Probably a case of staring at it for too long. To be honest I had no real plans for the picture, it was just a quick side shoot of my car while I was lightpainting my brother's Mustang; it ended up looking pretty bad so I decided to just have fun with the edit. I think I used about 5 different exposures of the car itself? Here's a before & after:
    40764862985_2e904fdcc6_c.jpg

I feel like this is probably a bit over-edited and not-quite-in-focus, buut here's my son learning to ride without training wheels:
    40740441795_bdde003f28_c.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2018
    D-d-d-double post! The LED wand I ordered showed up last night. It is very fun. I still have plenty to learn about using it but I think I'm in love.
    41715085431_c92bd31365_c.jpg

edit: Skip to 5:25 ish to see a speed edit of this shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCdGGEaLaA

Blakout on