As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games You'd Love to Run/Play In

13»

• Options
    Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A World War II secret war game would be the best for me. 1930s - 1950s a B.P.R.D. like group Vs paranormal/occult/Thule society nazis. GoGo killing Hitler in like 1952!

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but I'd love to run (or play in) a Godlike game, in its original WWII setting, as Allied Talents.

naporeon on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My D&D campaign.

[rant]

This is the 2nd session in a row in which only 2 players have decided to show up. And they're the same two.

If it reaches a third, I'm canceling it. "If you can't be bothered to come, I can't be bothered to run."

Oh, and I have about 12 players. And they knew about this for a week. Doctor's appointments and sports practice I can understand, but just not showing without warning me is inexcusable.

[/rant]

MechMantis on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A World War II secret war game would be the best for me. 1930s - 1950s a B.P.R.D. like group Vs paranormal/occult/Thule society nazis. GoGo killing Hitler in like 1952!

There's a game like that called "Shades of Earth".

It's not very streamlined at all and spread itself out so much that you don't get near enough depth anywhere and it comes across as a bit incoherent. The core assumptions behimd the system are similarly unfocused. It's playable, but I can't really reccomend it.

Last time I was at the FLGS, I saw a Hellboy game, but I didn't look too closely so I don't know if it's any good. I'm not even 100% that I'm not imagining it.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Last time I was at the FLGS, I saw a Hellboy game, but I didn't look too closely so I don't know if it's any good. I'm not even 100% that I'm not imagining it.

Cool beans! looks like it's not a figment of your imagination, I'm going to have to get myself a copy of that.

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    The Hellboy sourcebook is pretty cool. I have a copy.

If you're interested in that sort of "secret history"/conspiracy theory stuff, I recommend tracking down Ken Hite's Suppressed Transmission and Suppressed Transmission 2. They're collections of his articles, loosely tied to GURPS/RPGs in general (several of the articles contain campaign/story suggesions).

DMAC on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It would be cool if there was a steampunk western fantasy game. The various races from fantasy-- elves, dwarves, orcs, etc set in a wierd science fiction west.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It would be cool if there was a steampunk western fantasy game. The various races from fantasy-- elves, dwarves, orcs, etc set in a wierd science fiction west.

I'm sure you could mod either Deadlands or D&D/d20 Modern to get the desired results.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Spellslinger from Fantasy Flight Games. It was part of their Horizon line of mini campaign setting sourcebooks.

DMAC on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cool. Thanks, DMAC.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would like to run a Rifts game. I love playing the system and how many freaking books it has to rip ideas from.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    AuxiliaryAuxiliary Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm playing Exalted now...but I want to get back into Shadowrun.

Auxiliary on
    449065309_fb9d9dc0b2_o.jpg
    Suburban Ninja on the long lonely road of ninjitsu.
    Pokemon Diamond - 5412 6392 0193
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's at least a one-shot, at most an ongoing campaign I've always wanted to run. It started as a screw-on head style steampunk horror action civil war era campaign. This is the adventure:

A Capsule from space lands in some small village in the Kansas territory. Inside, there's... a baby. Problem is, the village is attacked by Indian raiders, who steal the capsule, and everything inside. A Confederate patrol is spotted in pursuit, but vanishes near where the camp is, and now no one has any ideas. Now, here's where the PCs show up. They pursue the Indians, find the camp, etc., only to find out that the baby, when exposed to a yellow sun, experienced sudden massive muscle growth, and died in a day or so. However, the capsule had a bunch of rare alien goods in it the indians have converted into weaponry. For example:

-The Green Glowing magic fire rocks and lead casings have been made into axes, arrowheads, etc.
    -The Baby's blanket, seemingly indestructible, has been made into special capes that reflect bullets.
    -The baby had a disc on it that seemed to glow, and show stars in it. And when the magic word is uttered, a portal to a new world is opened. A world containing the Confederate patrol, headed by a John Carter... and 3 more aliens, who, upon exposure to a yellow sun, begin to grow into hideous enraged masses of muscle.
    -There is a magic mirror in the capsule that talks and advises the indians on combat strategies.

So, the climactic final fight emerges between kryptonite armed Indians, the heroes, John Carter and his soldiers, and 3 Phantom Zone refugees slowly becoming hideous killing machines.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A lot of people seem to want a steampunk game. Whatever you do, do not buy Mongoose's OGL Steampunk. There are just too many disparate ideas, and it's meant to be used all together, not a pick and choose thing. Plus, one of the main groups of races are furries.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    :winky:

Are there at least good ideas to be had in the book? I've eyed it a couple of times at the game store.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I didn't find a single original idea. It's pretty typical third party stuff, but they couldn't decide which setting assumptions to make, so they made all of them. It wasn't really put together with much thought, so you'd have to go through and pick though what does and doesn't work for a given game. The most dissappointing part was that the steam technology wasn't really fleshed out that well, which was the main reason I bought the book. You'd be better off with d20 Past if you really want d20, otherwise I think there's a GURPS supplement (I haven't tried it, though).

Between that and their OGL Cyberpunk, I'm pretty much soured on anything Mongoose.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I didn't find a single original idea. It's pretty typical third party stuff, but they couldn't decide which setting assumptions to make, so they made all of them. It wasn't really put together with much thought, so you'd have to go through and pick though what does and doesn't work for a given game. The most dissappointing part was that the steam technology wasn't really fleshed out that well, which was the main reason I bought the book. You'd be better off with d20 Past if you really want d20, otherwise I think there's a GURPS supplement (I haven't tried it, though).

Between that and their OGL Cyberpunk, I'm pretty much soured on anything Mongoose.
    On the subject of steam technology, I'm pretty much in love with the technology rules in the WoW d20 book. There're some inconsistencies and thinks that could be explained better, but...

Go go phlogiston!

INeedNoSalt on