As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Alright, I bought my Kitfox, variant C. Lots of AMS, ECM, and a Tag to help the team. Swapped the weapon system over to two medium pulses and two heavy MGs, instead of a small pulse, ER large, and two regular MGs.

Edit - And I got Gauss Rifle'd in the cockpit in my first match, ffs

Shrug it off, soldier. Once we've got that cockpit hosed out, we're getting your cloned copy ready for the next drop.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Reactor: Online
    Sensors: Online
    Weapons: Online

Campaign Completed

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So the Solaris event sucks. They either removed it from the rotation or made the chance pretty low.

Oh well, got some good Jenner IIc practice in. People still don't pay attention to the Jack-o'-lantern looking 6SRM4 blob shooting them in the back.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Oh well, got some good Jenner IIc practice in. People still don't pay attention to the Jack-o'-lantern looking 6SRM4 blob shooting them in the back

I remember doing a similar thing with a kit fox, calling it the "shotgun build." It was probably some of the most fun I had playing MWO.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Saw my first Black Knight.

It is now a 3xMG, 6(?)Mlas, Full armor, full JJ punch machine.

It's gonna get the arm mod from my dragon, and the cockpit mod from my griffin in the near future, but since that will cost an MG, and a few tons more armor (or a couple lasers), we'll see how it turns out.

I've seen exactly two Black Knights so far. I have precisely two pieces of salvage of a Black Knight.

If I could predict when one would pop up, I might try harder to snatch it, because it looks hella dope. Seriously, that artwork is so good. But the damn things show up with a literal company each time, I haven't had the time and space to try and puree the pilot properly.

I saw my first Black Knight tonight, and got one salvage off it, even though I coulda swore my Hunchie head-cap'd it.

I also took my Dragon out for the first time. And, yeah, it's like a heavily armored Jenner, on a good day. I do wish I could get a -1G variant with more energy points

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    trying jacob's evasive movement assault strategy

went on a 4.5 star hostile insertion - no injuries, no mech parts lost, 8 assault mechs destroyed, 13 mech parts available for 3/11 salvage

4 mech parts salvaged?

hoo-rah?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Oh well, got some good Jenner IIc practice in. People still don't pay attention to the Jack-o'-lantern looking 6SRM4 blob shooting them in the back

I remember doing a similar thing with a kit fox, calling it the "shotgun build." It was probably some of the most fun I had playing MWO.

I first made it the 6SRM6 monster, but just didn't like the slower movement speed.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Twitch is acting up and won't let me clip it, but Beagle is playing around with cheese builds in BT multiplayer. Like a Stalker with six PPCs and four LRM 5s and a 50% duty ratio.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    How damn 3 AMS is amazing. Didn't even have the skill points invested to make it stronger, but I nailed 604 missiles and it wasn't even a missile-heavy match.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How damn 3 AMS is amazing. Didn't even have the skill points invested to make it stronger, but I nailed 604 missiles and it wasn't even a missile-heavy match.

Yeah...during the LRM May Day event, I took out my Kit Fox. Barely did 200 damage, but still nailed a match score of over 500 by shooting down over a thousand missiles. It's also fun knowing that you're personally responsible for completely neutering each and every person shooting ATMs at your team.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm finding this Solaris City map to be unplayable. It's headache inducing.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Heatvision. All the time, every time.
    Colours are for losers.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    End of campaign spoilers
    "Be ready to field multiple fully equipped lances"
    Is that because if they get damaged I won't have a chance to repair or refit them, or am I actually going to need to simultaneously send out multiple lances?
    The former. Also
    You will only need 3 'mechs still standing for the mission after

I hated how vague that proclamation was. Asked the same question here and got answer right away which prevented me from wasting a lot of time getting way more ready than I needed to.
    I actually did field 2 teams for that. Had 8 mechs, 8 pilots, and used the second best bunch first assuming I was going to have to immediately drop somewhere to save the "money giver" in some dire situation. Even saved my heaviest mechs for the second part. Then nope. I suppose not wasting my heavy mechs did work for me, but I feel like using my best pilots and mechs in both missions would have made them easier. Was also expecting that dude who gets kidnapped to be a traitor for the whole game.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    I think i am near the end. I been farming assaults and finally swapping missile boat orion with a stalker. I also got my brothers favorite mech the banshee. This one was rather disappointing as when we started battle tech we were running 3050. the BNC-5S or 6S made it rather decent mech. But this version is trash 2 ppcs and 2 med lasers. not better movement or armor or load out to a highlander. it is just bad. I hope he never sees this one. It would ruin his day

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Destroy an enemy lace that had about 60 tons on me without really taking any damage at all. Even managed to go 3/3 and 2/3 on the heavies I cared about.

Enemy reinforcements show up.

Two LRM carriers, a demolisher and a bulldog.

I quit the mission at the point where Glitch and Behemoth had been killed and both Hickory and my character had our mechs completely disarmed.

This is before a single enemy vehicle is destroyed.

Did I mention the demolisher didn't even fire a shot?

It drove into range and then just sat and watched as two LRM carriers surgically carved apart 240 tons of mechs.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Damn. VERY low orbit ion cannon.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Right now the real workorses of my Lance at my two Thunderbolts. One 5s one 5SS modded to have LRMs instead of SRMs

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Saw my first Black Knight.

It is now a 3xMG, 6(?)Mlas, Full armor, full JJ punch machine.

It's gonna get the arm mod from my dragon, and the cockpit mod from my griffin in the near future, but since that will cost an MG, and a few tons more armor (or a couple lasers), we'll see how it turns out.

I've seen exactly two Black Knights so far. I have precisely two pieces of salvage of a Black Knight.

If I could predict when one would pop up, I might try harder to snatch it, because it looks hella dope. Seriously, that artwork is so good. But the damn things show up with a literal company each time, I haven't had the time and space to try and puree the pilot properly.

I saw my first Black Knight tonight, and got one salvage off it, even though I coulda swore my Hunchie head-cap'd it.

I also took my Dragon out for the first time. And, yeah, it's like a heavily armored Jenner, on a good day. I do wish I could get a -1G variant with more energy points

You could probably modify a Quickdraw to basically be that. It has the same base speed as a Dragon, just need to add more armor to it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Went into grave robbing with a 60 ton, 50 ton, and two 55 ton mechs:
    Came out with a 90 ton and 80 ton mech.

That escalated quickly.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Smithon liberated!
    I took in a brawler Orion, and three missile boats, Orion, Orion, and Thunderbolt.

Destroyed one of the two escaping munitions trucks (did that first one seriously have over 400 total HP?), killed all eight garrison guards, and salvaged seven of eight munitions crates.

That eighth crate may have been exploded to a hasty, last-round shot due to me rushing to fire all the missiles at that Dragon. The pilot responsible is getting benched so hard.

I may be over-leveled for this point in the story. My pilots are all 7+ skilled, with mostly 8's and 10's. My lance is almost as heavy as I think you can muster, as I've not seen any Assaults outside of my Awesome.

Back to the Periphery Grind!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

I don't understand why overheating doesn't scale internal damage with the amount of heat you go over. There appears to be no difference between overheating by 1 or 100. The end result is, just go ham and take the one turn shutdown. If nothing else it should just instantly cook your pilot.

I can see every multiplayer lance taking at least one Direstar-esque mech if they don't change something. You're literally putting out 2, probably 3, assaults worth of damage out of one mech which only needs one turn to recover.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If it starts warping the skirmish mode it wouldn't be too hard to fix

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I don't understand why overheating doesn't scale internal damage with the amount of heat you go over. There appears to be no difference between overheating by 1 or 100. The end result is, just go ham and take the one turn shutdown. If nothing else it should just instantly cook your pilot.

I can see every multiplayer lance taking at least one Direstar-esque mech if they don't change something. You're literally putting out 2, probably 3, assaults worth of damage out of one mech which only needs one turn to recover.

Why not take all direstar mechs? He's got a 380 point alpha on that build. That's nearly two times what most assaults put out. My brawler King Crabs have 4x ML and 4x SRM6 giving them an alpha of 292, but with much shorter ranges. And that's the highest sustainable build I've been able to come up with.

Also, does Bulwark work while overheated? Because that would be OP.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Why not take all direstar mechs? He's got a 380 point alpha on that build. That's nearly two times what most assaults put out. My brawler King Crabs have 4x ML and 4x SRM6 giving them an alpha of 292, but with much shorter ranges. And that's the highest sustainable build I've been able to come up with.

Also, does Bulwark work while overheated? Because that would be OP.

He won against another guy last night who was running 2 Stalkers. The difference seems to be the cost you pay versus the effectiveness against evasive/guarded targets. His opponent wasn't able to close in with only two scouts past 3 mechs and his Shadowhawk and Hunchback were able to occupy a Stalker long enough to take it out and gain the advantage. Basically, one Stalker is so effective, the second one didn't really have a significant pay off.

RNG does play a huge part in this, but the extra maneuverability paid off for him and his opponent couldn't use his second Stalker during a critical turn.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    oh i thought if you overheated enough you wouldnt recover in a single turn

i seem to recall somebody messign around with firestarters in the beta and seeing a mech start up and immediately shut down every turn

sig.gif
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    So, I'm staring at 'Served Cold', and been running around doing other stuff... partly because I felt like I need more Mech options, but partly because I don't feel very compelled to work for Lord Emo McWangface.

But, as a result, along with my recent Black Knight addition, I collected enough bits for a Grasshopper. They are my new front line. Knight had been modified to carry 6MLas, 2 MGs, and a Slas+ (5dmg). Melee Stabilty bonus, and damn close to full armor. He's the slugger. Grasshopper.. It's just evil hilarity. 5xMlas(mixed normals and +), 6xMGs, SRM2++(stab,dmg)... wait for it... Leg mod, and damn close to full armor. Between the two of them, they just run down baddies spewing fire downrange until (in my head cannon) they rock hardcore Lariat and flying Elbow smash combination (OOOOh YEEAH!) while slamming the *FIRE EVERYTHING!!* button. Glitch and Dekker.. World Heavyweight Champions. Glitch - "Whatacha gonna do, when Glitchamania runs wild on you?!" Dekker - "Oooooh Yeeeeeeah!" Come get the belt, posers. I really need to make them quit watching the history channel.

Meanwhile, PC and Saxon(that glorious dour russian VA) sitting on a combined LRM80++ Stab/Crit literally have been reduced to annihilating light mechs because the two brawler just floor crap with sheer melee domination, IF it's not dead sooner.

And in the event something pops up I really want.. I make them back off and go headhunting with the MGs.

So much fun right now. I'd gladly drop a few Mlas on the 'hopper for a second Leg mod, especially +'d up. (Or swap to Slas, but damn if the MGs aren't amazing in this combination)

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    oh i thought if you overheated enough you wouldnt recover in a single turn

i seem to recall somebody messign around with firestarters in the beta and seeing a mech start up and immediately shut down every turn

HBS seems to have intended Shutdowns to only be a 1 turn affair. I guess your heat gets capped to 100% when you shutdown and then you deduct your standard cooling when you startup the next turn. Flamers were apparently adding heat above 100 so you instantly shut down again when you started up, cooled off, and still had more than 100 heat. I haven't tested it, but I think they fixed the flamers so they can't double overheat you.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    quick shoutout to people who label when talking about MWO beause otherwise I would have had no fucking clue what was going on when I started Battletech.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MWO

Kinda getting frustrated piloting my Kitfox, because the strategy around it is built on supporting my team from being fired upon with missiles or generally flanked. Thing is, it makes me aware of how bad people are at moving / not clumping up together.

On the plus side, despite the losses, getting 1,100+ missiles destroyed is making my rank remain even so I'm not being punished. On the negative, I'm hardly getting ANY experience. The only combat I see is if some ballsy light mech runs through our back line, which I can help gun down. If we're winning, I can help do some poke damage. But if we're losing, I don't exactly have opportunities to fight in a meaningful way.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    https://youtu.be/YXgkJrAxhl8

LIGHTS ONLY Second Playthrough

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MWO

Kinda getting frustrated piloting my Kitfox, because the strategy around it is built on supporting my team from being fired upon with missiles or generally flanked. Thing is, it makes me aware of how bad people are at moving / not clumping up together.

On the plus side, despite the losses, getting 1,100+ missiles destroyed is making my rank remain even so I'm not being punished. On the negative, I'm hardly getting ANY experience. The only combat I see is if some ballsy light mech runs through our back line, which I can help gun down. If we're winning, I can help do some poke damage. But if we're losing, I don't exactly have opportunities to fight in a meaningful way.

Yep, unfortunately MWO only rewards tons of damage, kills, Kill Most Damage Dealt, or winning with experience. I wouldn't worry about going up levels since it just becomes more meta builds and less about goofy fun builds.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Working my first 2.5 skull mission. Seeing my first Catapult (C1), Wolverine, and Hunchie -4P. Oh and they have a Firestarter, a Locust, and like 3 Shadowhawks.

I have a Shadowhawk, a Trebuchet, a Centurion, and a Dragon.

Proooobably gonna end up save-scumming this mission.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO

Yep, unfortunately MWO only rewards tons of damage, kills, Kill Most Damage Dealt, or winning with experience. I wouldn't worry about going up levels since it just becomes more meta builds and less about goofy fun builds.

Technically you are rewarded for support, but if your team cant win without you bringing the threat of damage, then you will rack up the losses and it will feel like there is no reward.

Also, keep in mind if you are smart enough to be able to build a support build, then that places you in the top percentile of MWO players, and your team needs you to build something that will be able to pull a win from a loss, and not a supporting mech that helps your team win more / lose less.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Working my first 2.5 skull mission. Seeing my first Catapult (C1), Wolverine, and Hunchie -4P. Oh and they have a Firestarter, a Locust, and like 3 Shadowhawks.

I have a Shadowhawk, a Trebuchet, a Centurion, and a Dragon.

Proooobably gonna end up save-scumming this mission.
    gdy99b2skzba.png

Whew

fx6isfnid36e.png

Well, it's a start!

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I think I'm giving up on using pedals for steering. It's just too imprecise.

The throttle has a nice analog stick and a set of rudder paddles I can use that are much easier to use.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm watching that Light Mechs Only playthrough and holy crap is it tense.
    He's doing the pirate moon story mission. He has Decker in an LRM Locust with no armor and has him meleeing at the end as he was out of ammo, and somehow Decker survives whilst Glitch was killed. His pilot was on the ground shutdown from heat with a leg gone along with most of his center. Behemoth had 1 hp left in a heavily damaged mech and did a clutch called shot to the torso of the last enemy mech for the win. If she had missed that, it probably would have been the end of the mission.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I think I'm giving up on using pedals for steering. It's just too imprecise.

The throttle has a nice analog stick and a set of rudder paddles I can use that are much easier to use.

One of my biggested annoyances with the newer Saitek sticks is they got rid of the rudder bar. Granted it was prone to breaking but it's so much nicer than twist sticks.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO

Technically you are rewarded for support, but if your team cant win without you bringing the threat of damage, then you will rack up the losses and it will feel like there is no reward.

Also, keep in mind if you are smart enough to be able to build a support build, then that places you in the top percentile of MWO players, and your team needs you to build something that will be able to pull a win from a loss, and not a supporting mech that helps your team win more / lose less.

Hmm, I never really noticed any benefits when I run my 2 LAMS, all ML Wolfhound. It is a damage threat so it does help with the damage so I figured all the experience was from that. I'll try running it more to see. It is fun to watch the Disco lights when the clan missiles get shot out of the air. IS ones are a bit harder for me to destroy with only 2, but just as fun.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I found a mechwarrior with the same callsign as my commander

...should I hire him and put him in a Locust and let the gods sort it out

I'll be in my Highlander because, well

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki