As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 3: Round 6 - Status Phase / Game End

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Reveal Public Objective
    Found a Golden Age (2 VP): Spend 16 resources.
    4 Stage II Objectives remain in the deck.

Arborec, Sol, and Jol-Nar each draw 2 Action Cards; each other player draws 1 Action Card. Sol, Jol-Nar, and N'orr each gain 3 Command Counters for allocation; each other player gains 2 Command Counters.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Allocate 2 to tactics, 1 to strategy

S/F/T -> 1/4/2

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Allocate 1 to tactics, 1 to strategy.

T/F/S: 1/3/1

Discard:
    Ancient Burial Sites
    At the start of the agenda phase: Choose 1 player. Exhaust each cultural planet owned by that player.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    I'm not sure i have a path to any more VP. What's the play here? Just kingmake on the way out of it? How does endgame usually play out with the folks that are super far behind?

Steam
  • Options
    actually I think that is 2/3/1

Steam
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I'm not sure i have a path to any more VP. What's the play here? Just kingmake on the way out of it? How does endgame usually play out with the folks that are super far behind?

You have a ton of planets, with way more than 8 influence on them, and the ability to spend 5 trade goods pretty easily. You already have one unit upgrade tech, and you could get another this round. You could draw another secret objective. You could try to take Mecatol and hold it for a round with Imperial (and you get first pick next round).

Imperial's actually there to let you score up to 3 VP this round and not be behind any more, that's the catchup mechanism for someone with a good board state that missed VP getting there.

2 to T and 1 to S, T/F/S->2/3/2

• Options
    Hmmm, didn’t consider imperial as a catch-up mechanism, that’s pretty interesting.

Steam
  • Options
    That said you should absolutely not pick Imperial, instead you should swear allegiance to your new human friends and wage vicious, bitter war on the Hacan. Deprive them of their catnip.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    +1 to each pool

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    That said you should absolutely not pick Imperial, instead you should swear allegiance to your new human friends and wage vicious, bitter war on the Hacan. Deprive them of their catnip.

No need to be catty, friend humans. We were amicable stewards of the planet Quann before being roughly ousted by the bioweapon-creating-Hylar. We even Support you for the Throne!

T/F/S
    3/3/1

C/TG/AC
    0/0/6

Yeah, Imperial is absolutely the catchup mechanic. You get to score an extra objective over everybody, and you get to draw a new Secret Objective to see if you get on you're better suited to. Conversely, take Imperial, wipe Sol off of Mecatol, and score the free point youreslf. Also, I think that the board as a whole would appreciate it not going to Sol, who have about half a dozen infantry, plus a PDS, sitting on Mecatol. So, we can't say we're unbiased... But it'd be great if Sol didn't get a free point. I think it's @Brody for Command Counter allocation, then we're good for agenda phase?

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options

No need to be catty, friend humans. We were amicable stewards of the planet Quann before being roughly ousted by the bioweapon-creating-Hylar. We even Support you for the Throne!

The Jol'Nar space-tweeted us photographs of what you did to the furniture on Quann, you monsters! GET A SCRATCHING POST

• Options

The Jol'Nar space-tweeted us photographs of what you did to the furniture on Quann, you monsters! GET A SCRATCHING POST

What, pray tell, do you think that they will do? They cannot live without being submerged in liquid... I shudder to consider the resale value after their occupation. They even spoke of bombarding it!

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    2 to Tactics. Move 1 from FS to Strategy.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    @MrBlarney for Agenda shenanigans. Let's see what the Speaker has unearthed for us by bottoming the 2 prior agendas...

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    All agendas are awful and even if they are good you probably won't be the beneficiary. Hooray for agendas.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I thought there may have been an agenda that removes prior agenda affects. I went digging for that

Steam
  • Options
    SarynSaryn Registered User regular
    I thought there may have been an agenda that removes prior agenda affects. I went digging for that

There's an action card that repeals a law. And there are two (I think) agendas that remove laws. One of them revotes on one, one gets rid of one.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Round 4: Start of Agenda Phase

The Arborec: Use racial ability "Mitosis" to place 1 Infantry on Centauri.
    Score Objectives
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Spend 3 counters from Tactic Pool (TP 3 --> 0) to claim public objective "Lead From the Front". (VP 0 --> 1)
    Federation of Sol: Exhaust Mecatol Rex (6I) and Quann (2I) to claim public objective "Sway the Council". (VP 4 --> 5)
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Spend 5 Trade Goods (TG 27 --> 22) to claim public objective "Negotiate Trade Routes". (VP 3 --> 4)
    The Emirates of Hacan: Claim public objective "Develop Weaponry". (VP 6 --> 7)
    Reveal Public Objective
    Found a Golden Age (2 VP): Spend 16 resources.
    4 Stage II Objectives remain in the deck.
    Gain Action Cards and Command Tokens; Redistribute Command Areas
    The Ghosts of Creuss: AC 2 --> 3; TP 0 --> 2, FP 4 --> 3, SP 0 --> 1
    Federation of Sol: AC 2 --> 4; TP 0 --> 2, SP 1 --> 2
    The Arborec: AC 6 --> 8; TP 1 --> 2, SP 0 --> 1
    Discard Action Card "Ancient Burial Sites" to comply with hand limits. (AC 8 --> 7)
    Universities of Jol-Nar: AC 5 --> 7; TP 4 --> 5, FP 5 --> 6, SP 3 --> 4
    Sardakk N'orr: AC 5 --> 6; TP 0 --> 2, SP 0 --> 1
    The Emirates of Hacan: AC 6 --> 7; TP 1 --> 3

The first agenda is drawn off the top of the deck:
    Ixthian Artifact (Directive)
    For: The speaker rolls 1 die. If the result is 6-10, each player may research 2 technologies. If the result is 1-5, destroy all units in Mecatol Rex's system, and each player with units in systems adjacent to Mecatol Rex's system destroys 3 of his units in each of those systems.
    Against: No effect.

Federation of Sol: Up to 16 votes
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Up to 12 votes
    Sardakk N'orr: Up to 9 votes
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Up to 3 votes
    The Emirates of Hacan: Up to 10 votes
    The Arborec: Up to 16 votes

At least 24 hours for discussion, deals, transactions, and Action Card declarations, unless all players collectively call for voting to start before then.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Uhhhh wow. So if I'm reading it right the net effect of a for vote:

Either we all get the chance at technologies (and lose ships) OR Sol loses 5 infantry, Jol Nar loses 2 inf and a Dreadnought, and N'orr loses a cruiser and an infantry.

That would certainly open MR up if the dice go the wrong way...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, damn. That's an Agenda, alright.

Also important to note, is that the Against is just "nothing happens". Personally, I think "for" makes a significantly more interesting next round, but that's just me.

I think PDS count as units as well? Could be wrong.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    Ohhh good question. Do Structures count as units for the purpose of this agenda, @MrBlarney ?

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    All agendas are awful and even if they are good you probably won't be the beneficiary. Hooray for agendas.

Called it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    We don't advise playing with strange artifacts. We will not be happy if there is preventable loss of life.

@MrBlarney Does this technology come with loss of ships?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    We'd also like to note that the 3 races with the potential of losses vote first, before the rest of us.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    El Skid wrote: Β»
    Ohhh good question. Do Structures count as units for the purpose of this agenda, @MrBlarney ?

Units are anything plastic.
    Or cardboard token replacements.

But seriously, 2 techs?!
    This always got passed in TI3 with only one tech!

discrider on
  • Options
    We are ready to vote. Or not vote. We will probably save our votes for the next awful agenda. We will not look kindly on races voting to play with unstable artifacts if something goes wrong.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    According to the wording, you have to destroy ship's for this tech

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: Β»
    Ohhh good question. Do Structures count as units for the purpose of this agenda, MrBlarney ?
    Yes. As per section 85 of the Rules Reference, everything that could be represented as a plastic piece is considered a unit, including Space Docks and PDS.
    MrBlarney: Does this technology come with loss of ships?
    Yes. Since the agenda says that you "research" technologies, they are beholden to the effects of Anti-Intellectual Revolution.

Perhaps this is what the anti-intellectualists were worried about when they forced their agenda upon the council.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Oh, that's hilarious.

Steam
  • Options
    On the one hand, I'd awfully like not to have my stuff blown up. On the other hand, I do like technologies.

Won't be playing any action cards on this one. Dear space squid friends, I'd be up for voting "no" to playing with the shinies if you launder my 1 commodity into 2 TG for me.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    On the one hand, I'd awfully like not to have my stuff blown up. On the other hand, I do like technologies.

Won't be playing any action cards on this one. Dear space squid friends, I'd be up for voting "no" to playing with the shinies if you launder my 1 commodity into 2 TG for me.
    To confirm (because I'd hate to see my Scientist friends be duped), are you offering all your votes here, or just like 1?

El Skid on
  • Options
    We appreciate that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, but we cannot turn 1 commodity into 2 trade goods. Also we estimate the odds of you continuing to hold Mecatol Rex in the event of a catastrophic loss of all units to be 3,720 to 1!

In the unlikely event people decide to play with the artifact and it does not explode and we are going to get a tech, we should be able to trade out our research agreement at that time, correct?

Also while you are here, are the N'orr still interested in Integrating their Economy?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    @MrBlarney Quick update for the status phase; Jol-Nar no longer has my Trade Agreement or my racial promissory (from activating Quann). I also no longer have Minister of Peace.

Noble warriors, please note that the Hylar have successfully pointed their neighbors both away from them, while striking into their neighbors' territory and stockpiling Goods. It seems fishy, to say the least. We would be sorely disappointed were you to fall prey to them.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Message translation error, half of message was discarded. Attempting to reacquire rest of message.

Reacquired:

Noble warriors, please note that the Hylar have successfully pointed their neighbors both away from them, while striking into their neighbors' territory and stockpiling Goods. Also the Ghosts certainly still exist, maybe they should be taken care of before a wormhole accident affects you! Don't trust to fate! Also the N'orr have a big fleet, shouldn't we all ally against them before they overrun every planet like an exoskeletal tsunami? Also the Arborac, look how much production they have, its only a turn or so before they bury us like a leafy tsunami. Also the Sol have Mecatol Rex and are going to win. We will be very sad if you all don't declare 5 way war with each other and let us win.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    This one is a tough call, I don't like relying on a coin toss. If it's the explosion outcome, then obviously bad for Sol, and less but still bad for Jol-nar.

But the tech outcome is bad if a 2 vp tech objective hits the table, since that would basically end the game. I don't know how i will vote yet, the best possible outcome for me is that MR explodes and i can try and take it next round, but i don't particularly love the tech outcome here.

Steam
  • Options
    Also, is taking MR even the correct play in that scenario...

This game has a lot of interesting decisions.

Steam
  • Options

Also while you are here, are the N'orr still interested in Integrating their Economy?

The N'orr are indeed interested in integrating their economy... we just have to digest the current and future changes.

This agenda has the potential to massively change the boardstate- do you want to push to complete our transaction before it resolves, or see where the chips fall after?

• Options
    MrBlarney: Quick update for the status phase; Jol-Nar no longer has my Trade Agreement or my racial promissory (from activating Quann). I also no longer have Minister of Peace.

Whoops, I've corrected all of the status posts with the correct state for those promissory notes. I also completely missed where the Minister of Peace was used. Somehow I thought that there was a double-bluff in negotiating its use, back when N'orr activated the Creuss Home System. That should also be corrected from the corresponding update forward.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    @MrBlarney Can I give out my research agreement if technology research comes up before I pick my tech?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Anyways, I'm glad this decision will likely be made by the time the vote gets passed around to me. I don't feel the need to weigh in too much on this conversation because I'm pretty on the fence about it. I'm leaning chaos roll, but that's more for spicy-ness than strategy.

I suppose I am open to a bribe if it comes to that, but it seems unlikely that it will.

Steam