Options

[SCOTUS] : Back in black robes - new judicial session has begun

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Remember as you read today's Court decision, this can be fixed legislatively with national automatic voter registration laws and there's no reason to accept anything less.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Remember as you read today's Court decision, this can be fixed legislatively with national automatic voter registration laws and there's no reason to accept anything less.

Remember as you read todays Court Decision, that efforts to fix this legislatively rely on the ability to let people vote for their representatives, which this interpretation of a law is a direct attack on and means we will almost inevitably have to accept less.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

So you're saying it can't be fixed.

• Options
    Also remember the clear precedence this sets.

It is OK to purge you from the voter rolls if you do not return a single postcard to the government
    It is OK to SEND that postcard for a reason which would violate the constitution, the postcard provides adaquate legal defense.
    As such, random postcards deregistering you can be sent at any time, for any reason, as frequently as the Republicans wish and will then immediately cease as soon as any one is not returned and you are removed from the voting lists.
    So, get ready for postcards to go out to entire cities, dozens of times a month, before major elections.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

So you're saying it can't be fixed.
    It can, but it looks to be an uphill battle. The other side are playing with a stacked deck, and WAY too many voter eligible people are completely apathetic.

That the Democrats aren't particularly vocal on the subject doesn't help much.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Remember as you read todays Court Decision, that efforts to fix this legislatively rely on the ability to let people vote for their representatives, which this interpretation of a law is a direct attack on and means we will almost inevitably have to accept less.

That's the spirit.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Tbloxham is waving the panic flag and declaring that only a capital-p Purge can restore American Democracy. Dozens of postcards to every house! Disenfranchisement! Cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!

Or, you can vote in one election out of every 4 and never worry. Or, you can just go here: https://olvr.sos.state.oh.us/ and register online. I don't even see what there is to fix legislatively. Of course you need to occasionally purge voter rolls, for lots of reasons:

- voter rolls full of garbage data are useless for other tasks like redistricting
    - interstate agreements require cleanup
    - databases become unwieldy if literally everyone who has ever existed is on the roll everywhere they ever have

This panic is perhaps overblown. Voter registration is trivial and doable from a library, in Ohio and Texas at least (the only ones I checked). This is not a edisenfranchisement so much as it's a reflection of reality - if you haven't voted in 8 years, you're certainly a citizen but you're not a voter. If you want to be a voter again, take 20 minutes online some evening and become one.

Now, I say with with the full understanding that gathering the documentation needed to prove you're a citizen and a resident can be challenging, and should be made easier, but we're talking about people who already did that part. So come on everyone, let's not predict the death of the republic over needing to fill out a form after 8 consecutive years of neglecting your civic duty.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Tbloxham is waving the panic flag and declaring that only a capital-p Purge can restore American Democracy. Dozens of postcards to every house! Disenfranchisement! Cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!

Or, you can vote in one election out of every 4 and never worry. Or, you can just go here: https://olvr.sos.state.oh.us/ and register online. I don't even see what there is to fix legislatively. Of course you need to occasionally purge voter rolls, for lots of reasons:

- voter rolls full of garbage data are useless for other tasks like redistricting
    - databases become unwieldy if literally everyone who has ever existed is on the roll everywhere they ever have

This panic is perhaps overblown. Voter registration is trivial and doable from a library, in Ohio and Texas at least (the only ones I checked). This is not a edisenfranchisement so much as it's a reflection of reality - if you haven't voted in 8 years, you're certainly a citizen but you're not a voter. If you want to be a voter again, take 20 minutes online some evening and become one.

Now, I say with with the full understanding that gathering the documentation needed to prove you're a citizen and a resident can be challenging, and should be made easier, but we're talking about people who already did that part. So come on everyone, let's not predict the death of the republic over needing to fill out a form after 8 consecutive years of neglecting your civic duty.

The issue is there is no reason to make it harder for citizenry to vote, this does nothing but disenfranchise voters which is the current election strategy of a major party of the US backed by these very courts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2018

It's a lot easy to take a sanguine approach when you view voting as a responsibility rather than a right.

But you, like most of the advocates for these laws, are focused on the pathos of the argument over the actual effects. You can talk all you like about good record keeping and blah blah blah but at the end of the day this was Republicans in a contestable state passing a law that overwhelmingly purged Democrats from the polls and if you think that's acceptable you're a terrible small government guy.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I will calm down over these Supreme Court rulings when I see a loophole in one which the Republicans do not immediately pounce on to exploit for their own advantage. This ruling is wrong and harms our democracy. The only question is how wrong it is. Every reason which could be needed to remove a citizen from the voting rolls is ALREADY registered with the government. If the government wishes to clean up its voting rolls then it can simply consult the databases it has which would allow it to do this.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

The issue is there is no reason to make it harder for citizenry to vote, this does nothing but disenfranchise voters which is the current election strategy of a major party of the US backed by these very courts.

I guess I don't see "fill out this form again plz" as a barrier. Certainly not as a plot to destroy the Democratic voting base.

Either way, I think the assessment of the case itself is correct - it follows the law, Ohio legislature needs to fix it.

• Options

It's a lot easy to take a sanguine approach when you view voting as a responsibility rather than a right.

But you, like most of the advocates for these laws, are focused on the pathos of the argument over the actual effects. You can talk all you like about good record keeping and blah blah blah but at the end of the day this was Republicans in a contestable state passing a law that overwhelmingly purged Democrats from the polls and if you think that's acceptable you're a terrible small government guy.

I view it as both, just like the rest of the core Rights of the People.

Delving deeper is out of scope I think, but do @ me if this gets taken out to a voter thread somewhere.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I guess I don't see "fill out this form again plz" as a barrier. Certainly not as a plot to destroy the Democratic voting base.

Either way, I think the assessment of the case itself is correct - it follows the law, Ohio legislature needs to fix it.

spool pls

Republican legislators literally just look at statistics and use them to design laws which, on average, will knock more poor people and poc off the voter rolls

That's all that is ever going on here, and it is absolutely an intentional plot to erode the Democratic voting base

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Wether you "see" it or not it very clearly is.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Did you feel the same on Hobby Lobby, when it was it argued that filling out a form was an insurmountable obstacle?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

It is OK to purge you from the voter rolls if you do not return a single postcard to the government
    It is OK to SEND that postcard for a reason which would violate the constitution, the postcard provides adaquate legal defense.
    As such, random postcards deregistering you can be sent at any time, for any reason, as frequently as the Republicans wish and will then immediately cease as soon as any one is not returned and you are removed from the voting lists.
    So, get ready for postcards to go out to entire cities, dozens of times a month, before major elections.

today's ruling was awful, but this catastrophizing makes no sense at all

this was a statutory ruling, not a constitutional one, and the things in this parade of horribles are still clearly illegal

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

Did you feel the same on Hobby Lobby, when it was it argued that filling out a form was an insurmountable obstacle?

ehhhh I think if we're being fair that's too dissimilar a situation to try and hang a hypocrisy charge on me.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I’d withhold judgement on said form until I saw one. Because it’d be a simple thing to design these things to look like optional junk mail and not something important you need to pay attention to.

I wouldn’t put it past Republicans to do everything they can get away with to hide the actual purpose and importance of said form.

• Options
    I’d withhold judgement on said form until I saw one. Because it’d be a simple thing to design these things to look like optional junk mail and not something important you need to pay attention to.

I wouldn’t put it past Republicans to do everything they can get away with to hide the actual purpose and importance of said form.

Voting solves this problem, design of form notwithstanding.
    Also filling out a thing online if you forgot to vote a half dozen times in a row

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    You seem to be confused about the difference between precedence and federal laws passed in 1993.
    This is factually incorrect. If only somebody had posted actual information instead of hyperbole! You have to not return the postcard and then not vote for four years.
    The law requiring the postcard provides the legal defense for why this is an acceptable means of maintaining voter rolls. As it has for the last 25 years.
    Four years afterwards. Well four years plus 90 days from an election, probably more since primaries will block out even more of the calendar. The postcards, in fact the entire program of deregistering voters, can't happen within 90 days of a federal election or primary. It's almost like we have a federal law regulating these things!
    To be followed by the purge four years later provided they never bother to check or update their registration or even just, ya know, vote which they can do for four years.

This isn't the sky falling. This is the status quo and has been for most of our lives. It could certainly be better and Styrofoam Sammich has the right idea on how to make it better.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Register everyone to vote at birth or naturalization. Make it illegal for the government to touch it for 65 years then compare it against death certificates every two years, off cycle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    While I highly doubt the GOP will mail out 20 postcards to every citizen and eject them from the rolls if a single one fails to come back, I don't think it's unreasonable to see a potential loophole discovered and be concerned at how it might be abused.

We're living in an era of Big Data, and as the Cambridge Analytica fiasco showed, highly targeted efforts may well have disproportionately powerful results. Using that big data effort, crunch the various districts, identify those where such a postcard arrangement is more likely to harm Democratic voters than Republican voters, and it's just another way to weaponize voter disenfranchisement.

We are long past giving benefit of the doubt here, and it takes very little creativity to see how, backed by such a ruling, other areas (that just so happen to lean slightly Red, or worse are distinctly purple) might see efforts that tip the scales.

With the US voter turnout being as low as it is, even efforts that shave a fraction of a percentage off that disproportionately favours one side could have massive ramifications.

It may not be based on this postcard bullshit, but I don't believe for a second that there aren't already teams working on how to game things for future elections. All the more so with so much riding on whether or not the Democrats manage to retake the house or senate.

And it seems like this kind of ruling might be just another tool to put to use when and where it counts the most.

I think the point that I'm trying to make here is, essentially, it doesn't need to be the biggest and most impactful thing ever, but as we've seen previously, it doesn't have to be. It can be yet another of many factors that can lead to a 'death by a thousand papercuts' situation.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options

idk! Maybe this is a place where I'm being myopic. I feel like it's definitely true that if voting one time in eight years was too big an ask, filling out a form first is probably not going to be the thing that stops you from showing up in year 10. But maybe I'm missing some context here and lots of voters are being screwed out of their once-in-a-decade plan to vote in an election because they didn't do it at all in the eight previous years.

I'm trying not to be super snarky here but honestly I am just not seeing the monstrous nature of this. Just how many Democrats didn't show up to the polls a single time since 2006, but really wanted to vote Hillary in 2016?

• Options
    Register everyone to vote at birth or naturalization. Make it illegal for the government to touch it for 65 years then compare it against death certificates every two years, off cycle.

We're now talking about national id system which...well yes. It's not like they don't have the information through the various credit/license/corporate bureaus anyways.

• Options

I moved from Maine to Louisiana when I was 6mo old, in 1975. Should I still be registered to vote in Maine?

• Options
    edited June 2018

idk! Maybe this is a place where I'm being myopic. I feel like it's definitely true that if voting one time in eight years was too big an ask, filling out a form first is probably not going to be the thing that stops you from showing up in year 10. But maybe I'm missing some context here and lots of voters are being screwed out of their once-in-a-decade plan to vote in an election because they didn't do it at all in the eight previous years.

I'm trying not to be super snarky here but honestly I am just not seeing the monstrous nature of this. Just how many Democrats didn't show up to the polls a single time since 2006, but really wanted to vote Hillary in 2016?

Why should we be operating under this notion of "use it or lose it" like that's valid on its merits? If voting is my right I have no responsibility to answer for why I might choose to exercise it every 16 years or every 2.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Also filling out a thing online if you forgot to vote a half dozen times in a row

You do get that these purges are intentionally often done as close to the election as they can get away with, right? And that if said card is lost you don't *know* you need to re register?

• Options
    Late not-quite-an-edit: the above is my extrapolating heavily from the discussion here. Apologies if I'm astray on my read, I was speaking more to the overarching points made than any particulars of the exact ruling.

• Options

We're now talking about national id system which...well yes. It's not like they don't have the information through the various credit/license/corporate bureaus anyways.

What we're talking about here is a state sovereignty issue.

• Options

I moved from Maine to Louisiana when I was 6mo old, in 1975. Should I still be registered to vote in Maine?

Fill out a form online compared against said registration and only then can you be removed from your old state.

The important part is to tie the government's hands on their ability to change rolls.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

My implicit assumption is that a national id system would notice things like the move you proposed. I'm of the opinion that it de facto exists, we just aren't getting any of the benefits from it.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

You do get that these purges are intentionally often done as close to the election as they can get away with, right? And that if said card is lost you don't *know* you need to re register?

Citizens of Ohio: If you have not voted a single time since 2008, you need to reregister at this link: https://olvr.sos.state.oh.us/

I found something for Democrats in Ohio to spend money on!

• Options

Citizens of Ohio: If you have not voted a single time since 2008, you need to reregister at this link: https://olvr.sos.state.oh.us/

We need to break access to voting as something that is a partisan issue and that's going to mean taking the stewardship of voting rolls out of political hands.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

My implicit assumption is that a national id system would notice things like the move you proposed. I'm of the opinion that it de facto exists, we just aren't getting any of the benefits from it.

I'm sort of coming around on the national ID thing as my paranoia about government databases fades into a miserable resignation that Google probably knows enough to verify my identity anyway. I'm still not sure it's Constitutionally sound, and I'd really like to have that happen in tandem with some more robust privacy laws or even a privacy Amendment.

• Options
    I do not care even a little bit when people inadvertently remain registered to vote in several states

The amount of fraud, waste, and malfeasance that this leads to is virtually zero

• Options

We need to break access to voting as something that is a partisan issue and that's going to mean taking the stewardship of voting rolls out of political hands.

now THIS I can get behind. Agreed 100%, a bipartisan commission ought to be the way to go. We can have it manage districting as well.

• Options

That amounts to reforging the GOP coalition into something that doesn't inherently want as few voters as possible. Barring an amendment for mandatory voting I don't think you're going to construct a system where one party isn't better off with greater number of people voting than the other.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it's really interesting that conservatives like to say that laws need affirmative justification, until somebody makes one that just happens to disenfranchise democrats

• Options

That amounts to reforging the GOP coalition into something that doesn't inherently want as few voters as possible. Barring an amendment for mandatory voting I don't think you're going to construct a system where one party isn't better off with greater number of people voting than the other.

I think an Amendment to solidify voting access as a positive right rather than inferred through a series of limitations on how you can restrict the franchise is a crucial long term goal.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Also, isn't it a Right (capital R Right) to Vote in the US?

It seems awfully strange (as an outsider) to watch (as an example) people scream about the second amendment's Right (capital R Right) to bear arms, but the Right to Vote is like 'yeah whatever just purge hundreds of thousands of people no big deal'.

Obviously these Rights can have limitations in place (example, felons being prevented from either owning guns or voting or both in some states, at least by my understanding). If a hundred thousand people were told they couldn't have a gun based on failing to send back a post card, I think there'd be literal blood in the streets.

This discussion has been closed.