Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mumm-Wha?!

13»

Posts

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I can definitely understand being a bit sad that a property seems to have gone a bit off the rails or in a direction I don't like. I experienced it with Star Wars.

    The key component of what Tycho said isn't about the original fans though. Its about how people react to the "fans who invested their heart in something." Smashing their face into it and "own"ing them with the changes or telling them to "fuck off" is a really shitty way to react to the fans that "sustain[ed] an IP ... while it enters cryo for a decade or more."
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    rembrandtqeinsteincB557
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    H3KnucklesCambiataLeon2309Moridin889SadgasmTychoCelchuuuDjiem
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If the fans had even a single episode to watch to decide they didn't like it, they wouldn't need to be owned. Since they're basing at least 50% of their opinion on a guy's HAIRCUT, they need to be owned for months on end until they grow the fuck up.

    H3Knuckles
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I can definitely understand being a bit sad that a property seems to have gone a bit off the rails or in a direction I don't like. I experienced it with Star Wars.

    The key component of what Tycho said isn't about the original fans though. Its about how people react to the "fans who invested their heart in something." Smashing their face into it and "own"ing them with the changes or telling them to "fuck off" is a really shitty way to react to the fans that "sustain[ed] an IP ... while it enters cryo for a decade or more."
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    I'm pretty sure people like you (or me where TCR is concerned) aren't the kind of fan those articles are being aimed at. It's the geese that are ranting about how this is a travesty, or trying to make it a culture war thing, and so forth and so on. Like, if you're just unhappy with new Star Wars, I don't think any reasonable person is going to judge you for it. The heat towards detractors is meant for the full-on haters because let's be honest, a lot of them have shown themselves to be misogynist and/or racist.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    This is arguing against nothing. Its not about calling people out for their obsession being ridiculous and nonsense. Its not even about those who are "obsessed."

    Its about writing articles telling fans who don't like the direction of the property that they are wrong for not liking the new direction. Or that they can just "fuck off" if they don't like it.

    cB557
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    This is arguing against nothing. Its not about calling people out for their obsession being ridiculous and nonsense. Its not even about those who are "obsessed."

    Its about writing articles telling fans who don't like the direction of the property that they are wrong for not liking the new direction. Or that they can just "fuck off" if they don't like it.

    "That art direction doesn't look good to me" is fine. It's also not what people are saying. Read this very thread for two fine examples of what people are ACTUALLY saying.

    H3KnucklesQuidLeon2309TychoCelchuuuBloodySlothDjiem
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    I've read that paragraph about five times, and I still have no idea what Jerry is trying to say.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    BloodySloth
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I can definitely understand being a bit sad that a property seems to have gone a bit off the rails or in a direction I don't like. I experienced it with Star Wars.

    The key component of what Tycho said isn't about the original fans though. Its about how people react to the "fans who invested their heart in something." Smashing their face into it and "own"ing them with the changes or telling them to "fuck off" is a really shitty way to react to the fans that "sustain[ed] an IP ... while it enters cryo for a decade or more."
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    I'm pretty sure people like you (or me where TCR is concerned) aren't the kind of fan those articles are being aimed at. It's the geese that are ranting about how this is a travesty, or trying to make it a culture war thing, and so forth and so on. Like, if you're just unhappy with new Star Wars, I don't think any reasonable person is going to judge you for it. The heat towards detractors is meant for the full-on haters because let's be honest, a lot of them have shown themselves to be misogynist and/or racist.

    That's not what happens on this very forum, for instance. Ive been told to fuck off many times for having perfectly reasonable issues with the new movies, despite liking them overall.

    The issue is that lines are drawn very early (like/dislike) and since there are some racist/sexist people on one side of the line, everyone on that side of the line is treated the same.

    cB557rembrandtqeinstein
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    I mean, you're taking a huge giant leap off of what I said in order to be mad about something I didn't say. Maybe think about that for a sec?

    That aside, OF COURSE I get invested and fall in love with fictional stories. Hell, it's the sort of thing that happens to me even over fiction that everyone else assures me is trashy (and that I admit to myself is pretty trashy). Falling in love with someone's fictional universe is a beautiful thing, and the reason fiction exists and endures through the centuries.

    The thing I find immature, and that was immature in myself at a point in time, is getting mad at other people for enjoying a piece of fiction in a different way than you do, or liking something you don't like, or the creators re-imagining the fiction into something new and fresh that is nevertheless not something that you personally could ever enjoy.

    Like, I think the new ReBoot reboot (there's a mouthful) is utter trash. When I saw the trailer for it I was like, "so dumb" and then stopped thinking about it. Maybe someone likes it a lot! Maybe the people who created it actually love ReBoot with their whole heart and soul and this is where they saw the franchise going! Whatevs, there are other things for me to love, and new things getting created all the time, I'm pretty OK without new ReBoot in my life.

    It's not like a new version of something causes the old version to cease to exist. The only person who did that trick was George Lucas, and that I admit is worth getting mad about. Don't destroy historically important things because you don't want people to think about stuff you did when you were younger.

    Edit: Though speaking of George Lucas, I first realized how self-involved it is to say a new version of a property "ruins" the old version and thus the new version shouldn't exist when kids who watched the Phantom Menace grew up and as adults still claimed that they adored the film. Kinda blew the ol' noggin, because I thought no one, not even a child, could legitimately enjoy that film. Turns out I was just being an ass.

    Cambiata on
    H3Knuckles
  • dennisdennis Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I can definitely understand being a bit sad that a property seems to have gone a bit off the rails or in a direction I don't like. I experienced it with Star Wars.

    The key component of what Tycho said isn't about the original fans though. Its about how people react to the "fans who invested their heart in something." Smashing their face into it and "own"ing them with the changes or telling them to "fuck off" is a really shitty way to react to the fans that "sustain[ed] an IP ... while it enters cryo for a decade or more."
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

    I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

    This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    This seems like an incredibly accurate simulation of the third panel.

    H3KnucklesObiFettMoridin889Tim is on the Internet
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    The great thing about this discussion is that everyone is able to move the goalposts wherever they need to in order to feel that they have scored a goal

    cB557Tim is on the InternetCommander ZoomRhesus PositiveCaedwyr
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    I mean, you're taking a huge giant leap off of what I said in order to be mad about something I didn't say. Maybe think about that for a sec?

    I think I do get what you are saying because
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.

    Thats quite a high pedestal you've put yourself on there. Fictional stories matter to all levels of maturities for all types of reasons. Stories can have deeper meanings or even therapeutic effects for many people. Telling those people to "fuck off" or attempting to "own" them with hot takes when they dislike a direction the continuation of a story goes is the real immature response here.

    The thing I find immature, and that was immature in myself at a point in time, is getting mad at other people for enjoying a piece of fiction in a different way than you do, or liking something you don't like, or the creators re-imagining the fiction into something new and fresh that is nevertheless not something that you personally could ever enjoy.

    The bolded above is exactly what I referring to.

    Like if you are actually invested in a story or its characters, it kind of makes sense that if they are taken in a direction you personally don't like that you would get a little upset/sad/angry/emotion about it. Saying that its immature to feel that way is where you are a little "high horsing" it. Like these stories/characters have an emotional significance to many people and screwing with it does kind of cause the old version to cease to exist in a certain way. The new version of that property is now what society in general will start associating with that property and if a character is changed to mess with that emotional significance, then yeah, that also does kind of cause the old version to cease to exist.

    Is it immature to have an initial reaction to these changes and be a little [insert emotion here] about it? No, absolutely not and that's where I think the people in the second panel in this comic are shown to be wrong. Like let these fans air out their grievances, give them time to adjust, let them feel heard (as long as it isn't something racist or whatever). Immediately reacting to them with hate back is the immature response.

    Now, if they continue to go on a tirade forever and never let it go, then yes, that is a sign the "previous immaturity" you were talking about that you saw in yourself. And I agree with you there.

    But hell, this Thundercat thing sounds like its still pretty fresh. Let them deal with their wounds a bit without telling them to fuck off or try to "own" them.

    ObiFett on
    cB557
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    This is arguing against nothing. Its not about calling people out for their obsession being ridiculous and nonsense. Its not even about those who are "obsessed."

    Its about writing articles telling fans who don't like the direction of the property that they are wrong for not liking the new direction. Or that they can just "fuck off" if they don't like it.

    It's not arguing against nothing. It's the statement I made against Tycho's post lamenting people "owning" those that truly love a property.

    Don't get obsessed with IPs. It's a bad idea.

    Cambiata
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The great thing about this discussion is that everyone is able to move the goalposts wherever they need to in order to feel that they have scored a goal

    there's gotta be a looney tunes gag about this somewhere

    what a happy day it is
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    This is arguing against nothing. Its not about calling people out for their obsession being ridiculous and nonsense. Its not even about those who are "obsessed."

    Its about writing articles telling fans who don't like the direction of the property that they are wrong for not liking the new direction. Or that they can just "fuck off" if they don't like it.

    It's not arguing against nothing. It's the statement I made against Tycho's post lamenting people "owning" those that truly love a property.

    Don't get obsessed with IPs. It's a bad idea.

    And again

    "obsessed" != "people who invested their heart in an IP"

    So this is still arguing against nothing

    cB557
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The great thing about this discussion is that everyone is able to move the goalposts wherever they need to in order to feel that they have scored a goal

    This is a helpful and productive comment.

    TubeRatherDashing89
  • StericaSterica Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like Star Wars is a particularly bad example for this. It was never some cult property that was hanging in there purely via a small group of fans getting overpriced niche merchandise. It's a pop culture institution, where kids who were born well after the original trilogy was in theaters still nonetheless become lifetime fans.

    YL9WnCY.png
    NightslyrH3KnucklesSatsumomoLeon2309DarkPrimusHahnsoo1rembrandtqeinstein
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited May 25
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    If you are so invested in a cartoon that someone is able to "own" you by calling your obsession ridiculous and nonsense I think maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

    This is arguing against nothing. Its not about calling people out for their obsession being ridiculous and nonsense. Its not even about those who are "obsessed."

    Its about writing articles telling fans who don't like the direction of the property that they are wrong for not liking the new direction. Or that they can just "fuck off" if they don't like it.

    It's not arguing against nothing. It's the statement I made against Tycho's post lamenting people "owning" those that truly love a property.

    Don't get obsessed with IPs. It's a bad idea.

    And again

    "obsessed" != "people who invested their heart in an IP"

    So this is still arguing against nothing

    That is a euphemism for the same thing. If a property someone doesn’t own changing terribly upsets them, they are unnecessarily concerned about it.

    Quid on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 25
    If you have Netfix, watch the first four episodes of The Toys That Made Us.
    Really excellent show about all these old shows & toys.

    https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/the-toys-that-made-us-looks-back-at-toys-of-the-1970s-and-1980s-1.689391

    MichaelLC on
    Nobeard wrote: »
    You can even mount some non-animals...

    Steam:MichaelLC
    H3KnucklesSatsumomo
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I feel like this thread is a cool little biodome illustrating this comic, albeit still more civily than most of the internet.

    I think it's important to realize the part you play in perpetuating meaningless arguments, because even the most reasonable person can get pulled into this trap. And I think the only way out of the trap is to let people have their opinions, including their opinions about your opinions, and move on.

    And unlike politics or morality or other important things, I think pop culture is better discussed in an echo chamber. I hung out in this forum's TLJ thread because I was extremely refreshed to find that there were other people who liked it, after seeing so much dislike on Facebook and YouTube. So I decided to hang out there and not click on the Facebook comments or videos titled "How TLJ ruined Star Wars". Even one of my favorite YouTubers had a video like that. I skipped it. I think it's ok to just go where your opinion is validated when pop culture us concerned. I'll chat with the people who liked it and the people eehp don't can chat with each other. No harm, no endless cycle of hating other people's opinions.

    ObiFettH3KnucklescB557
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Mr. Steal yo' heart Registered User regular
    I just remembered another cartoon I used to love that was designed to sell me toys.

    Mighty Max!

    Remember Mighty Max? That shit was awesome.

    PreacherH3KnucklesNobodyRhesus PositiveAndy Joe
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Mighty Max had an excellent ending which is still rare to this day.

    Skull2185Rhesus Positive
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Mighty Max had an excellent ending which is still rare to this day.
    Oh yeah, when the cat knocked him off the table at night and into a heat vent where he languished for years until the kid grew up and went to college? That was very poignant.
    Okay, i admit i don't even remember there was a show.

    steam_sig.png
    DarkPrimusRhesus Positive
  • dennisdennis Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The great thing about this discussion is that everyone is able to move the goalposts wherever they need to in order to feel that they have scored a goal

    It's panels all the way down.

  • R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    R0n1n_76 wrote: »
    The 2011 series failed because it was shown out of order and never at a consistent time. This will "succeed" in that just like TT:Go and their other shows in this animation style they'll show it in 6hour blocks back to back daily then say "hey it's got high ratings."

    Also can we stop the "it's for kids" argument? I wholeheartedly concede I'm not the demographic for this show, but my kid was turned off by it because of what I'm guessing is over saturation of the style in both the comedy and art style.
    Also just because it's directed at kids does not mean it has to be dumbed down and over simplified. We LOVE watching Voltron and Trollhunters on Netflix and the best episodes of Steven U or Adventure time to my kids are the ones with a coherent story. Kids aren't stupid and media directed at them shouldn't be either.

    Your kids don't represent the norm in this case, all in all, if they're not interested then simply don't watch it, why get upset at its existence?

    Don't see where I said I was upset, but you're correct I've taught my kid it's OK for people to like things that you don't and if you don't like it just don't watch. My main point is the dumbing down of media and excusing it by saying "it's for kids." They're not dumb, and this trend feels like a lazy and cheap approach.

  • DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    I just remembered another cartoon I used to love that was designed to sell me toys.

    Mighty Max!

    Remember Mighty Max? That shit was awesome.

    That show was incredibly dark considering the target demographic. Many episodes featured someone dying a grisly death while the highlight of the show was Tim Curry exquisitely hamming it up as the main villain. Remember the episode with the sadistic berserker who had a tree branch jammed in his brain? The mage who needed to kill himself to quiet a rampaging dragon? The fact that everyone dies and all hope seems lost in the finale?

    QuidH3KnucklesNobodyRhesus PositiveDonnictonAndy Joe
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    DCAarmus wrote: »
    I just remembered another cartoon I used to love that was designed to sell me toys.

    Mighty Max!

    Remember Mighty Max? That shit was awesome.

    That show was incredibly dark considering the target demographic. Many episodes featured someone dying a grisly death while the highlight of the show was Tim Curry exquisitely hamming it up as the main villain. Remember the episode with the sadistic berserker who had a tree branch jammed in his brain? The mage who needed to kill himself to quiet a rampaging dragon? The fact that everyone dies and all hope seems lost in the finale?

    Something I really appreciate was the team treating Max like the kid he was. I remember them trying to shield him from seeing people killed because he wasn't ready for it.

    H3KnucklesRhesus Positive
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    DCAarmus wrote: »
    I just remembered another cartoon I used to love that was designed to sell me toys.

    Mighty Max!

    Remember Mighty Max? That shit was awesome.

    That show was incredibly dark considering the target demographic. Many episodes featured someone dying a grisly death while the highlight of the show was Tim Curry exquisitely hamming it up as the main villain. Remember the episode with the sadistic berserker who had a tree branch jammed in his brain? The mage who needed to kill himself to quiet a rampaging dragon? The fact that everyone dies and all hope seems lost in the finale?

    And remember that creepy boat that was all "YOU HAVE TO GO...INSIDE"? Wait.

    H3KnucklesCambiataBloodySloth
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    l4mz6vf6f6db.png

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    BloodySloth
  • identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    hya guize i maek a comic editt

    vkzihgo1h6md.jpg

    Hahnsoo1
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    hya guize i maek a comic editt

    vkzihgo1h6md.jpg

    I'm pretty sure everyone recognized that the comic was referencing that meme, yes.

    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Moridin889SorceDonnictonMuffinatron
  • identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    hya guize i maek a comic editt

    vkzihgo1h6md.jpg

    I'm pretty sure everyone recognized that the comic was referencing that meme, yes.

    me too haha

  • ZacharyNoormanZacharyNoorman Registered User new member
    Did you make an expanding brain comic? How do I feel about this?

  • shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    @R0N1N_76 I agree with you there. The saddest part is even most kids think these shows are dumb and like the originals better.

  • dennisdennis Registered User regular
    @R0N1N_76 I agree with you there. The saddest part is even most kids think these shows are dumb and like the originals better.

    Source?

    Quid
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    A lot of people are saying it. Amazing people.

    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    dennisTofystedeth
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.