Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, one other random question, why the hell does it always look like the spaceships are flying backwards? Like their engines are firing in the direction they are traveling towards? Isn't that backwards?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Oh hey, one other random question, why the hell does it always look like the spaceships are flying backwards? Like their engines are firing in the direction they are traveling towards? Isn't that backwards?

It's probably fine. You speed up half the way to your destination, then spend the other half slowing down. So space ships spend a lot of time going backwards.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The way long haul flights work in the Expanse is that you accelerate for half of the journey, then flip over and decelerate the rest of the way, coming to a stop at your destination. Ships are configured so 'down' works in both directions, with thrust gravity applied for the whole journey. It only really became obvious this season, because we had a big ol' point of reference for the ships flying backwards.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Always accelerating when travelling also has the added health benefits of simulating gravity.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Just got to the second half of season 3 and I've read up to....whatever book
    Where they end up on earth and asteroids are slamming into it or something? I think Amos is escaping a prison at some point? That's when I stopped

Two things about the episode.
    JESUS CHRIST THAT IMAGE OF THE BELTER KID SLAMMING INTO THE RING. GOOD LORD.
    The reporter lady suggests that Amos is a former mob boss? I really hope that's not true - or a fake background he created or something. I much prefer the idea that Amos is just this guy born into obviously a bad situation living in brothels and such, but comes out of it. I don't want him to be the head of some criminal empire - and he has never struck me a a boss type.

Your first spoiler is book 5, Nemesis Games. Please mark the spoiler so people don't click that HUGE spoil by accident.

• Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Does the book explain what Clarissa's super-strength trigger was? The first time or two she did it, I thought she was popping out a false tooth and ingesting something, now I'm not so sure. An awkward facial gesture maybe?

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    They flashed an explanation on a screen for a hot second, but it was tough to see. (Book 3 details for this same thing)
    she's got an artificial gland system implant, her trigger in the book is putting her tongue to the roof of her mouth and making a couple circles. Which I have tried, and it produces a shiver! Eurgh!

When she does that, she gets flushed with a cocktail of hormones that make her strong, fast and alert for a few moments, with a long cool down after.

The system has massive health risks and other various drawbacks which mean the military hasn't adopted it, and is illegal.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    They flashed an explanation on a screen for a hot second, but it was tough to see. (Book 3 details for this same thing)
    she's got an artificial gland system implant, her trigger in the book is putting her tongue to the roof of her mouth and making a couple circles. Which I have tried, and it produces a shiver! Eurgh!

When she does that, she gets flushed with a cocktail of hormones that make her strong, fast and alert for a few moments, with a long cool down after.

The system has massive health risks and other various drawbacks which mean the military hasn't adopted it, and is illegal.
    it is illegal because basically it is an assassin implant. It makes you strong enough and fast enough that for a minute or two you are super human and can probably kill any target if you are in reasonable range of them before activating it. She basically got it so if she could get close enough to holden she could activate it and take him out if it came to that.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Yeah it basically causes you to crash hard after a few seconds, iirc it's something black ops/assassins might employ but it's completely useless for regular soldiers

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Just discussion of finale (no book spoilers):

Book spoilers:
    Also, with Holden and the moving through the gate in a way that looked like he was moving through water. Was that just for Holden? We didn't see that effect with anyone else moving through the gate, did we? I want to look at the scene again, I'm not sure if there was anything to see or not, but I was half-expecting to see a hint of the proto-molecule killers/"the bullet" guys, but I don't know if I saw any.

Books/season finale spoilers
    We saw that same effect when the Thomas Prince passed through the ring, it just didn’t focus on any single character. It was a shot of the whole bridge with the ripple moving through it.

There was a hint of the protokillers at the end. Right before Holden finishes passing through the ring an amorphous blob rushes up toward him, leading to his WTF face after he finishes passing through.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    I see, gland system is very cool, could have used just a tad more screen time, but it was sufficient as it was explained.

Finale spoilers:
    Clarissa's arc was a bit rushed IMO, but I'm surprised how satisfying I found it at the end. Wouldn't have predicted I'd care as much as I did, and that she'd both survive and join the Roci. Random other thoughts... Looks like Bobbi is a permanent addition to the crew as well now, yay. She was so obviously done running around with the other Mars jugheads.

My partner, who doesn't typically watch, commented how great the cast is, both as actors and good POC representation. They're a lot of fun to watch, and putting in some performances that are going to be pretty memorable/iconic for the genre & medium, I think. Am glad that the show will hopefully get a shot at a wider audience on Amazon, it's deserved.

Finale and book spoilers:
    I gotta be more careful clicking spoilers with show-only knowledge - I assumed that the bubble that approached Holden at the end was Miller hitching a ride as he mentioned moments before I think, will be curious to see the reveal of whatever a protokiller might be.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It was fantastic watching Bobbi...
    constantly counter-check the other Martian marine's BS, since she was exactly that person when she was first introduced.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Are the Martians all (except Bobbie) total assholes in the books too?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Their culture has a streak of "we're the best and its bullshit we keep having to prove it"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Where they end up on earth and asteroids are slamming into it or something? I think Amos is escaping a prison at some point? That's when I stopped

The reporter lady suggests that Amos is a former mob boss? I really hope that's not true - or a fake background he created or something. I much prefer the idea that Amos is just this guy born into obviously a bad situation living in brothels and such, but comes out of it. I don't want him to be the head of some criminal empire - and he has never struck me a a boss type.

Your first spoiler is book 5, Nemesis Games. Please mark the spoiler so people don't click that HUGE spoil by accident.

Done.

• Options

Done.

@MegaMan001 I don't see the book # yet...could you please specifically call it out as "book 5" instead of "whatever book"?

Not trying to nag...it's just...that's a big one.

• Options

Done.

@MegaMan001 I don't see the book # yet...could you please specifically call it out as "book 5" instead of "whatever book"?

Okay now?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I see, gland system is very cool, could have used just a tad more screen time, but it was sufficient as it was explained.

Finale spoilers:
    Clarissa's arc was a bit rushed IMO, but I'm surprised how satisfying I found it at the end. Wouldn't have predicted I'd care as much as I did, and that she'd both survive and join the Roci. Random other thoughts... Looks like Bobbi is a permanent addition to the crew as well now, yay. She was so obviously done running around with the other Mars jugheads.

My partner, who doesn't typically watch, commented how great the cast is, both as actors and good POC representation. They're a lot of fun to watch, and putting in some performances that are going to be pretty memorable/iconic for the genre & medium, I think. Am glad that the show will hopefully get a shot at a wider audience on Amazon, it's deserved.

Finale and book spoilers:
    I gotta be more careful clicking spoilers with show-only knowledge - I assumed that the bubble that approached Holden at the end was Miller hitching a ride as he mentioned moments before I think, will be curious to see the reveal of whatever a protokiller might be.

One thing you may have misinterpreted:
    Clarissa isn't necessarily joining the Roci. She's probably just getting transported on the Roci since they had the inhibitor juice, etc.

She killed a lot of people, and is going to have to answer for that.

Not entirely sure why they'd be transporting her instead of one of the UN ships that has a brig, but hey.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Yeah it basically causes you to crash hard after a few seconds, iirc it's something black ops/assassins might employ but it's completely useless for regular soldiers

Melba's implant
    Yeah, it's basically a huge shot of adrenaline and whatever else. Like basically those stories about a parent like, single-handedly lifting a car off their kid, or fighting a bear, or any of those other sorts of acts of incredible strength that can happen when the brain decides that self-preservation is no longer an issue.

Melba has a handy little button that lets her trigger that manually!

Of course that also makes it pretty fucking impractical for actual military application. You might be able to beat a dude to death, but you might like, throw your back out doing it, or break every bone in your hands, or give yourself a heart attack, etc.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

Done.

Okay now?

Perfect, thanks!

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    Always accelerating when travelling also has the added health benefits of simulating gravity.

Exactly it is how they get away without having to do spin sections on ships. The only one that did that was the navoo because it was going to be traveling so far they wanted to be able to do a more consistent gravity for a generation ship so if they found a good habitable planet they would not have the belter issue of not actually being able to stand permanent 1g gravity situations.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »

Their culture has a streak of "we're the best and its bullshit we keep having to prove it"

and highly militaristic which should not be surprising given their dealings with earth. They also have a pretty unified vision of making this huge project of terraforming mars that gives them a lot more espirit de corps than the other factions have
    until the gates opening forces them to realize why spend that much time/money/sweat/blood terraforming when there are hundreds of worlds out there they can now access

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Plus the Navoos is a little big for a Turn and Burn move

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Plus the Navoos is a little big for a Turn and Burn move

They do it as they're approaching the ring, but I imagine its not super great at it compared to other warships.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The navoo also would be in the coasting phase for a lot longer. It would accelerate for a while but even a ship that big can't do it all the way to the halfway point where it would have to turn over.

• Options
    "Realistically" the ship would need some way to decelerate from its presumably extremely high interstellar speed. In the context of Expanse that should mean large engines on the front.

For those who find this stuff interesting, in Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora (non spoilers spoilered for safety)
    An interstellar generation ship is accelerated at first by magnets (the acceleration kills several people) and then a powerful laser striking the back of the ship from Saturn for a couple decades. It slows down by firing off tiny explosives on the front of the ship for 20 years.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Size wouldn't matter at all? The Behemoth was setup to turn and burn just like every other ship (that's why its a big deal with the have to configure it BACK to spinning the drum).

Strange of you to even call it a move. Its just how travel works.

The Mormon version was setup with a spin drum (unique in the galaxy as far as ships) because they were going to be traveling INSANELY FAR, and they couldn't bring enough fuel to accelerate and decelerate the entire way. They were going to accelerate for some amount of time (a year?), spin the drum and coast for 90 years, and the decelerate for a year.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    My physics education is pretty old, but, I think there are some major structural stressors at play if you try to flip a ship around like that while accelerating that get worse as your mass increases.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    I don't think the structural impact is any different than if you are just spinning the ship around with no velocity. Obviously during the turn you kill the engines to stop the delta-v (acceleration). Thats not for structural reasons, that just to avoid several seconds of accelerating sideways.

With the engines off, you can't even tell if the ship is moving without looking out a window. Another way to look at is that when the engines are on, its a matter of perspective if you are accelerating away from you starting position, or if the ship is standing still and you are accelerating the universe away from the ship.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    My physics education is pretty old, but, I think there are some major structural stressors at play if you try to flip a ship around like that while accelerating that get worse as your mass increases.

You kill the drive and then flip. Once the drive is killed you are not accelerating and there is no friction or wind resistance in space.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

it doesn't flip while accelerating, it stops burning before flipping

• Options
    Doing some googling and it looks like what I was thinking of is if they'd tried to change delta-v while spinning the drum, which can produce a twisting force on the structure of the ship.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Doing some googling and it looks like what I was thinking of is if they'd tried to change delta-v while spinning the drum, which can produce a twisting force on the structure of the ship.

I would strongly recommend against trying to flip it while the drum is spinning. That would indeed do some weird stuff structurally I would think. I am guessing once they get ready for turn over and deceleration they stop the drum before the flip and burn happens. Also while you are accelerating you don't really need the drum spinning in the first place it only really is needed when you are in zero G.

• Options
    Interestingly, if the ship simulates gravity by accelerating, deaccelerating, and spinning, three walls of every room function as a floor. Place must be a Swiss cheese of doors.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    S3 spoiler about that ship
    it is a little odd that when Drummer (legitimately) salvages the Nauvoo, they flip it over and the statue on the spire snaps off, as though it were facing resistance. Cool visual metaphor tho. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Interestingly, if the ship simulates gravity by accelerating, deaccelerating, and spinning, three walls of every room function as a floor. Place must be a Swiss cheese of doors.

One thing to note is this is one reason you do the flip and burn as well instead of just sticking engines everywhere. Your down stays pretty consistent. If ships had engines on the nose to decelerate your floor and ceiling would alternate depending what you were doing. But if you flip the whole ship the force of your perceived gravity should stay stable.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    One thing I wish there was like...one line for.
    We get the scene of Holden looking crazy when talking to Miller.

They should have had him turn and look at the camera and go "you blew up a fucking ship?"

And everyone watching the screen would have a second of "oh, shit. He's not crazy."

No time to explain it to the other side when in the firefight (and for all they knew he could have been bullshitting them), but it'd give more plausibility to like...Drummer being on board

• Options
    Also if you are accelerating or decelerating you won't be spinning typically because there is no need to. You already have gravity so there is no need to create it. If you do spin however it is basically like if you are at the top of the space needle you are in a room with a consistent gravity that just happens to be turning slowly.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That sounds like a bad carnival ride

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    That sounds like a bad carnival ride

Unless it is due to battle damage the spin probably would not be very fast it would be very similar to being at the top of the space needle. Noticeable depending where you are in the ship but not crippling.

This discussion has been closed.