As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I'm not sure I know how to pilot Grasshoppers any more. That fuckin' chassis just sticks out of everything and the moment it does "lol, now your torso's open from double heavy Gauss+a couple lasers".

Revenge of the Grasshopper. Mount dual Heavy PPCs and poptart like a baws. "Who is dealing pinpoint damage now bitch?"
    I think the Grasshopper 5H has some crazy-high mounted mounts in the torso?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Third pilot death. This one was a demolisher headshot though so I didn't lose a mech. :)
    iwtwu2o6ug1n.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I know how to pilot Grasshoppers any more. That fuckin' chassis just sticks out of everything and the moment it does "lol, now your torso's open from double heavy Gauss+a couple lasers".

Revenge of the Grasshopper. Mount dual Heavy PPCs and poptart like a baws. "Who is dealing pinpoint damage now bitch?"
    It does but only for two hardpoints. I used to kit it wit 4xLPL and out trade through taking one alpha, then doing a second one and getting back into cover before their weapons finished cycling for a second. This just doesn't work any more between how frontloaded the incoming damage is and the ranges in question.

This is the best result I had tonight and was accomplished through a lot of pinpoint CT only alpha strike damage with the old meta build (3xLPL, 4xML) and then hiding like a bitch. So unsatisfying.

w7hYjaa.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Battletech-
    Played a 1.5 skull convoy ambush the other day and ran into a srm and lrm carrier. Throughout my last play through I only ever saw a handful of srm carriers, always in the harder missions. Never saw an lrm. That’s why I was shocked when it tore my lrm boat a new one. Dekker was the pilot, of course.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options

It does but only for two hardpoints. I used to kit it wit 4xLPL and out trade through taking one alpha, then doing a second one and getting back into cover before their weapons finished cycling for a second. This just doesn't work any more between how frontloaded the incoming damage is and the ranges in question.

This is the best result I had tonight and was accomplished through a lot of pinpoint CT only alpha strike damage with the old meta build (3xLPL, 4xML) and then hiding like a bitch. So unsatisfying.

w7hYjaa.jpg

Then try a dual heavy PPC build. Build a grasshopper that can truly jump and deliver some heavy pinpoint damage when you do it. It's crazy how dangerous you can be on maps like HPG, Forest Colony, River city, Canyons or even as a Polar Highlands hillhumper.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Nothing so enjoyable as an enemy Awesome with bulwark that just sits in the back line pumping LRM's at you. I even got behind him and spent multiple rounds shooting dude in the back, but didn't matter, just sat there and stripped armor off everything else.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Guarded/Bulwark doesn't reduce damage to the rear, though, right?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Guarded/Bulwark doesn't reduce damage to the rear, though, right?

It doesn't, but I just wasn't doing enough damage to take it out before he cored a VIP. It's just annoying slowboating a bunch of assaults over there to either get behind it, or wasting a bunch of ammo to take it out. Though I'm realizing now the answer is to call shots and take it out its legs.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, or pile on the stability damage (soooooo much harder on an assault since the balance patch.)

Or swing for the fences with a called headshot. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

Then try a dual heavy PPC build. Build a grasshopper that can truly jump and deliver some heavy pinpoint damage when you do it. It's crazy how dangerous you can be on maps like HPG, Forest Colony, River city, Canyons or even as a Polar Highlands hillhumper.
    Dual heavy PPC is 30 damage, though? How is this competitive against against Dual Heavy Gauss?

This GHR-5H - 2xHPPC, 1xLPPC, 4xERSL, LFE300 was the best I can seem to come up with and it doesn't look that amazing to me.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    You're pretty much not going to be competitive with delete button builds like the dual-HGR setup up close. Excalibaard has posted a few new builds here: https://www.mechspecs.com/forums/ghr-5h.307/

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Site seems kinda low traffic. And what's this guy's bonafides?

Neither of those builds seem particularly amazing to me. Heavy poking with 2xLPL only on some of those builds is like even worse, nevermind the heat of ERMLs meaning you're useless for so much longer. I'm not sure that a LFE is necessarily mandatory anyway given my experiences seemingly mostly losing CT first these days anyway.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    You're not gonna be able to take on a dual-HGR 90-100 tonner with a Grasshopper with all things being equal. You'd have to go Mad Cat Mk. II brawler or Scorch brawler (dual LB-20X + 4xSRM6) to stand a chance. You can use the superior mobility of the Grasshopper and pop-tart/PPC your way to victory, though. Or do what I do and stay out of their engagement range and poke them to death with MRMs and LLs. The HGRs are more of a problem than the Gaussvomit Deathstrike that the PTS changes were aimed at. I was in a game with JuJu Shinobi and Bows3r and they just erased 10/12 of the enemy team with dual-HGR Maulers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    So, is this BLR-3M build viable or garbage? I just threw it together as a closest-match to a tabletop custom I liked.
    https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=149&l=780d6a6978d145595f055817d6bbbbe6536a5970

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    You're not gonna be able to take on a dual-HGR 90-100 tonner with a Grasshopper with all things being equal. You'd have to go Mad Cat Mk. II brawler or Scorch brawler (dual LB-20X + 4xSRM6) to stand a chance. You can use the superior mobility of the Grasshopper and pop-tart/PPC your way to victory, though. Or do what I do and stay out of their engagement range and poke them to death with MRMs and LLs. The HGRs are more of a problem than the Gaussvomit Deathstrike that the PTS changes were aimed at. I was in a game with JuJu Shinobi and Bows3r and they just erased 10/12 of the enemy team with dual-HGR Maulers.
    When I managed to actually get in and play a couple weeks ago, I forgot if it was Bets or Erl but they were managing to work a Warhammer with dual HGR, so stuff in the weight class can do it...well, anyway, yeah I guess those things existing sort of constrain the solution space.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I'd drop a ton of AMS ammo and add another heat sink or a targeting computer. I've never run dry on AMS ammo just lugging one ton into battle. Looks like that build makes full use of the quirks to me. Good poking ability with the PPCs in the arm and you've got a shield arm. Move the AMS ammo to the head and you can ditch the CASE in the right torso. Gives you a half-ton to play with and you can put another 1/2 ton of AMS or MRM ammo in the CT.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Dual heavy PPC is 30 damage, though? How is this competitive against against Dual Heavy Gauss?

This GHR-5H - 2xHPPC, 1xLPPC, 4xERSL, LFE300 was the best I can seem to come up with and it doesn't look that amazing to me.

Dump the LPPC and replace the 4 ERSL with 2 mediums in the torso. Then use that weight and space to get 5 double heatsinks (for a total of 10 engine, 2 engine mounted and 5 body mounted) heatsinks. You need so many heatsinks.
    You're not going to COMPETE with dual heavy gauss, you're going to EXPLOIT dual heavy gauss. What is the heavy gauss weakness? It takes up lots of torso space, it's very heavy and it has to charge up. That makes heavy gauss builds low mobility that can't cope with unexpected attacks. You on the other hand excel at rapid unexpected attacks with jump jets, reasonable mobility and heavy pinpoint damage.
    The Grasshopper is not built for massive slugging matches. If you wanted that you'd go assault mech with dual UAC20 or 2xMRM40 (yiou got 50 damage? Cute. I got 80).

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    When I managed to actually get in and play a couple weeks ago, I forgot if it was Bets or Erl but they were managing to work a Warhammer with dual HGR, so stuff in the weight class can do it...well, anyway, yeah I guess those things existing sort of constrain the solution space.

Yeah, that was me. I reconditioned my Boomhammer (twin-AC20) into DHG. Thanks to the ammo buff patch, it has something like 21 volleys (also edit - my mistake, HGR didn't get affected by the ammo buff...however, putting a couple points in magazine capacity is absolutely mandatory to get the 21 volleys) before running empty...but considering that's a potential 1050 max damage, I feel that might just enough.

The downside is that it doesn't leave much tonnage left over for an engine...so you're looking at a 200STD, which'll mean that you have a top speed on par with (edit - just checked, you're actually slower than) a Dire Wolf.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    At which point the question becomes why

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    At which point the question becomes why

Because nobody expects a Warhammer to be packing DHG.

...well, until their CT armor is gone after a couple of shots or you surgically remove a side torso on a medium that tries to face tank you.

or you drill out a light in a single shot. Really, that one is super satisfying.

But that's just the penultimate satisfaction...the real ultimate satisfaction is drilling out the cockpit of the enemy's assaults. That kinda tends to result in people just asking "WTF just happened?"

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, is this BLR-3M build viable or garbage? I just threw it together as a closest-match to a tabletop custom I liked.
    https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=149&l=780d6a6978d145595f055817d6bbbbe6536a5970

I think the Battlemaster still has high torso mount points. Will have to log in to confirm. If that's so, I'd swap the ERPPCs to the torso if possible.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

That build is going to be nuclear hot. I'd recommend downgrading to standard PPCs and moving them to the side torsos for better hill peeking.

Don't bother with CASE and just put the ammo in the head/legs. 1 ton of ammo should be enough for 1 AMS so long as you're dealing with the LRM boats proactively by shooting them in the face.

I might also recommend dropping the MRMs since they'll make your left torso an even bigger target.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So I reinstalled MWO to play, and I see they changed skills completely. Am I gunna ruin any sort of meta by just sticking points into stuff now?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So I reinstalled MWO to play, and I see they changed skills completely. Am I gunna ruin any sort of meta by just sticking points into stuff now?

Well they're not refundable ones spent. You have to buy knew ones. For most mechs you won't go wrong by starting with relevant firepower talents though.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Betsuni wrote: »

I think the Battlemaster still has high torso mount points. Will have to log in to confirm. If that's so, I'd swap the ERPPCs to the torso if possible.

Interesting. I can see the advantages; it'd let me hill-hump instead of trying to corner-peak, and reduce the risk of losing all long range weaponry with a single section. However, the main goal here is to get close enough to use the lasers & missiles, so I'm not sure if putting a big portion of the main weapons group into one of the most vulnerable parts is worth the trade. I think I'll have to try both out.
    I'd drop a ton of AMS ammo and add another heat sink or a targeting computer. I've never run dry on AMS ammo just lugging one ton into battle. Looks like that build makes full use of the quirks to me. Good poking ability with the PPCs in the arm and you've got a shield arm. Move the AMS ammo to the head and you can ditch the CASE in the right torso. Gives you a half-ton to play with and you can put another 1/2 ton of AMS or MRM ammo in the CT.

That build is going to be nuclear hot. I'd recommend downgrading to standard PPCs and moving them to the side torsos for better hill peeking.

Don't bother with CASE and just put the ammo in the head/legs. 1 ton of ammo should be enough for 1 AMS so long as you're dealing with the LRM boats proactively by shooting them in the face.

I might also recommend dropping the MRMs since they'll make your left torso an even bigger target.

Well, it's 14 double heat sinks, and like ~27 heat per salvo for either weapons group (2x ERPPC, or 6xMLas + MRM20). Sure if I tried to alpha with the whole deal I'd be cooked, but it should be manageable as long as I'm only using the ERPPC's for poking (2*13.50) & switch to the rest (6*3.4 + 6) at closer range, right?

I'll definitely follow chasm's & your advice about the ammo & CASE stuff.

I get what you mean about the increased hitbox, but I'm partial to having a missile option backing up the MLas, for tradition if nothing else. Besides, I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with the extra weight & space? Nine tons would give me quite a few options, not to mention the extra 2 tons from reducing the AMS ammo and removing CASE.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I scored my third assault this weekend hunting down a 4-skull "scout" lance. My Battlemaster, Highlander, Grasshopper and LRMorion ran out to hit the enemies as quickly as possible lest IRL-agro interrupt operations prematurely. I was delighted to find a Banshee amongst the two heavies. Then my PC recieved a earthshaking LRM salvo from beyond sensor range. Hah, a Catapult to round things out, that's not so bad. The Banshee was proving resilient, the new stability balancing keeping it upright a little too easily for my liking. Reinforcements were detected. Then the opponent LRM boat revealed itself, not a Catapult at all. Oh ho, a Stalker, this is going to be interesting. My PC had been running away from the front lines, kiting the enemy force, and now weathered another downpour of missiles.

The reinforcing Quickdraw and something with an AC and PPC closed quickly. Next turn a Cataphract 1X emerged from the shadows. Interesting, haven't seen one of those before. Then I started getting LRMs from two more reinforcements. Well, that's not too bad, right? Maybe they'll take their time catching up. The Banshee was still up, taking an impressive amount of punishment, none of my called shots hitting their mark. The Stalker got CT drilled out down to 1hp and took TWO LRM salvos without dropping. Absolutely ridiculous! My PC's Grasshopper finally succumbed to punishment and took a massive melee hit from the Banshee, lost a torso and hit the ground.

As the turn closed out, the final TWO Highlanders jetted into my LRM boat's enhanced sight radius. Hmm, up to this point I hadn't been playing to win against 615 tons of enemy firepower. Truly, a scouting party that would make the Steiners blush.

It was time to unleash my lance's full cheesy firepower. Dekker jumped down to face off against the Quickdraw and Cataphract. With no time to lose I figured I'd go for the heart. Called shot: head. Boom, one fresh Cataphract down. Selkie, my second Ace Sensor Locker, rained a full cloud of missiles onto the Quickdraw stripping it of evasion and opening it up for a knockdown. My PC dusted himself off, fired up the jump jets and took to the skies putting him in the perfect position to finish off the Quickdraw. Glitch was braced, bleeding heat and now tanking three Assaults. Screw the salvage, she wound up a right hook and put it through the chest of the Banshee. At the start of the next turn Dekker flew back up to waste a truly staggering amount of damage to finish off the Stalker. Now it was just half a Grasshopper, half a Battlemaster, a Highlander and an LRM boat with no missiles versus two fresh Highlanders. Easy.

Selkie began charging the Highlanders for some gentlemanly fisticuffs while my Grasshopper and Battlemaster tried to cool down. Glitch engaged a full, runaway strategy putting as much room between her and the enemies as possible. As luck would have it, the Highlanders chased Glitch ignoring Dekker and my wounded Grasshopper.

I went full side torso next round, chewing through the 733's Right Torso. Next turn was the 733P's turn. Then greed began creeping back into my mind. I had maxed out salvage, surely I could come away with something? I chewed the other side torso off the 733P, intending to put the pilot down without spoiling the heart of some fine assaults. In return they took Dekker's shield arm off, stripping away almost all the protection from my priceless lostech. It was a primal exchange of raw, disabled firepower as we traded laser fire riding the limits of shutdown. I pushed the lust for salvage from my mind and drilled the 733P's CT away. The 733 was closing, threatening to melee now, deprived of most of it's firepower. A single DFA could rip a Gauss Rifle off, core a Grasshopper, Battlemaster, or mildly scratch Selkie's paint. I decided to take the gamble and called a head shot with Glitch's remaining 3 medium lasers. On her last chance she delivered a final wound to the 733's pilot.

After collecting my 733 I got lots of Single Heat Sinks for my trouble, soooo many heat sinks. Was time for Yang to put in some overtime.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    BTW, starting tomorrow, we can test drive any mech and any build in MWO. Even ones we don't own. To clarify, I mean from the store/mechlab to testing grounds. You no longer have to pay for and finalize a build in order to take it to the testing grounds.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ugh. That GHR-5H 2xHPPC build has just not been working out.

Then again it's hard to test anything when every game is a 12-0 stomp in either direction because good lord the potatoes are out in full force at this time of night.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I built a bit more specialized HPPC Grasshopper ages ago, but I think it'll probably still hold up: XL325, LFF, 19 DHS, 2 HPPC, 5 ERSL, 1JJ. You can use Endo to squeeze in a lot more toys and get the "benefit" of an LFE, but you'll be losing a lot of DHS and 30 damage is a nice pinpoint, but isn't a game changing alpha. I find you still have to use a lot of patience and work for damage over time, and you won't be taking a ton of fire if you do it right. Maybe something like LFE 310, Endo, 16 DHS, 2 HPPC, 5 ERSL, TC1, 2 JJ. Don't expect any dramatic single hit kills (except Locusts and Piranhas lol)

The HPPC's are going to use all your heat and I find the 90m minimum range isn't really a huge drawback for what you want to do. If you're concerned about Lights getting inside minimum range, maybe switch over to regular Small Lasers.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I built a bit more specialized HPPC Grasshopper ages ago, but I think it'll probably still hold up: XL325, LFF, 19 DHS, 2 HPPC, 5 ERSL, 1JJ. You can use Endo to squeeze in a lot more toys and get the "benefit" of an LFE, but you'll be losing a lot of DHS and 30 damage is a nice pinpoint, but isn't a game changing alpha. I find you still have to use a lot of patience and work for damage over time, and you won't be taking a ton of fire if you do it right. Maybe something like LFE 310, Endo, 16 DHS, 2 HPPC, 5 ERSL, TC1, 2 JJ. Don't expect any dramatic single hit kills (except Locusts and Piranhas lol)

The HPPC's are going to use all your heat and I find the 90m minimum range isn't really a huge drawback for what you want to do. If you're concerned about Lights getting inside minimum range, maybe switch over to regular Small Lasers.

Hmm...this makes me think that maybe I should swap out the MLasers in my Black Knight to ER smalls. I've been running this build and it's been doing okay, but I feel that it could do better with some tinkering. So I may turn it into this BL-7-KNT

EDIT - okay, just tried out the new testing grounds button in the mechlab. That feature is so awesome! Also, tested out my Black Knight build posted above. It's okay. When targets get close enough to render the HPPC useless, the ER smalls take a looooong time to kill (y'know, because they're basically smalls with more heat and more range). However, I could shoot them all day (with 6 of them, the Black Knight is heat neutral). With standard medium lasers, I can get about 4 laser volleys off before needing to slow down between shots. I then got the idea of since this was meant to be a deterrent against targets inside 90m of you, why not small pulses? Quicker burn time means more of the damage is going to land on those pesky fast movers, and the quicker cycle time means you get more shots overall. And, since they're about the same heat as the ER smalls, it can shoot all six and still remain heat neutral.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Anyone else ready for stompy robot dakka tomorrow night?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm so bad at Solaris.

• Options

I can be on

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I can be on

Awesome. This time I can do more than just be a meat/metal shield for an HGR Fatnir.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »

A 4X BT mod?
    • Factions start, end and join wars based on a hidden war readiness value
    • Factions attack system they see as valuable based on the tags of the planets, each tag generates resource points they use
    • Doing a mission for one faction raises control for this faction
    • Planets change owners if control percentage is flipped
    • Border planets have higher difficulty
    • Contract targets depend on neighbour planets
    • If you are liked by a Faction they offer you good paying priority contracts for target planets

Thats a rough explanation for version 1.0, version 2.0 will be adding stuff for the player to conquer their own planets

That feel when someone mods Community Warfare into a different game in 3 months, and PGI is still trying to deliver a Crowd Funding promise from 2012.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I'm going to try and be on tonight. Dunno since I'm in a gaming funk lately.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

I can be on

Awesome. This time I can do more than just be a meat/metal shield for an HGR Fatnir.

Yeah be a meatshield for my new dakka dakka fatnir

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Sheeeeit...I've got a dakka Mad Cat Mk. 2 now. EVERYTHING WILL BE COVERED IN EXPLOSIONS

steam_sig.png