As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    New job speculation:
    Some datamining found reference to Blue Mage: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8zu27x/datamining_possible_new_job_found_during_my/

So, the question is, is it a reference to Gaius? Maybe Blue Mage/Gunblade is the same job, with the lore being about how Gaius and his nomads finding a way to survive in The Burn and successfully hunting Ascians? Blue could be a reference to Ceruleum

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How quickly can I get the samurai opened up? I think still have some stuff to finish in Heavensward, though the last MSQ I finished was called Heavensward. I want to get to the expansion and unlock the samurai real quick to level with my friends tank.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Stragint wrote: »
    How quickly can I get the samurai opened up? I think still have some stuff to finish in Heavensward, though the last MSQ I finished was called Heavensward. I want to get to the expansion and unlock the samurai real quick to level with my friends tank.

If you have SB, the unlock quest is available now to you. SAM/RDM only require level 50 and completed 2.0.

Edit: The unlock quests are in Ul'dah.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think you can unlock it in Uldah as soon as you're level 50 no matter what your MSQ progress is.

• Options
    So, the Return to Ivalice stuff is pretty rad. Nostalgia abounds.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you have a level 50 job, you can pick up the samurai and red mage quests in Ul'dah right away.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Awesome, didn't know I could already grab the Samurai and Red Mage.

I just did the start for the Samurai. The job feels kind of slow. Not sure how I feel about it so far. About to do the Red Mage.

Edit: Is it possible to refund the gear bought with tokens? I bought a whole set of Ironworks gear for my Samurai and did not realize I had a full set sitting on a retainer.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

I just did the start for the Samurai. The job feels kind of slow. Not sure how I feel about it so far. About to do the Red Mage.

Edit: Is it possible to refund the gear bought with tokens? I bought a whole set of Ironworks gear for my Samurai and did not realize I had a full set sitting on a retainer.

You can convert it to GC seals or desynth.

• Options
    edited July 2018

Samurai is a pretty simple job:

There's 3 single target combos. One gives you a haste buff, one a damage buff, and one a slashing damage enemy debuff. The combos also generate symbols (Sen), which are tied to a single ability. 1 Sen = single target damage + DoT. 2 Sen = cleave (good for packs). 3 Sen = big single target damage.

There's 2 melee range AOE combos. They also generate Sen. They eat up a good amount of TP.

You also have a Kenki/sword energy gauge. Some abilities (like the damage buff and 800 potency straight line attack) require it. You build gauge via your combos.

Beyond that, there's just the usual assortment of oGCDs. There's a semi-spamable one called Third Eye which only lasts for 3 seconds, but if you're hit while it's up will unlock a self-heal and a decent attack.

My flow is generally:

Slashing damage debuff combo -> 1 Sen ability -> all 3 Sen combos -> 3 Sen ability -> (repeat until you need to reapply 1 Sen DoT) -> full Kenki nuke (100 gauge for damage buff + 800 potency attack) -> etc.

While weaving some of the other oGCD attacks when possible.

If I enter a fight at full Sen, I simply swap the order at the start: 3 Sen ability -> slashing damage debuff -> 1 Sen ability -> etc.

All that said, SAM doesn't start feeling right until you hit the mid-60s with it. It's missing too much of its kit early on to feel like the real deal. And unlike, say, NIN or even DRG, positioning doesn't matter much. You get more Kenki if you finish a single target combo in the right place, but at some point (mid-to-late 60s) you get a passive ability that lets you generate Kenki with every damaging ability you have. Plus, there's an ability to transform Sen into Kenki. At 70, I've never been Kenki starved.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    also something to note is your best samurai rotation changes depending on your skillspeed

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I do similar with Samurai, except I start with the Haste buff

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I do the red one first into a dot then green one then do that thing where I can get sen from the getgo then do red again then consume sen to do my 50 kenki red swirly attack then do blue and red and then combo to ice then do that buff thingy to do Midare Setsugekka.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Final stretch of leveling, only 205,561,088 EXP left to go. Might still be able to get that done before August.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    You're an insane person SabreMau, go to a dungeon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    accidental doublepost

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    15d4unggfd3s.jpeg

• Options
    kinda hard to see but you get the idea

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    a2573482161_5.jpg

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    You're an insane person SabreMau, go to a dungeon
    Well, now that I've hit level 69, I can run Castrum Abania, so I ran it a few times because it's at least 2.5 million XP per run apparently. First time through on RDM everything went fine. Second time through on BLM I got scolded for not attacking the correct adds in the last fight and we wiped and had to redo it. Third time through on SCH was all of the stress because there's no time to do anything but heal huge tank damage, hope nobody else needs healing on the side, and then come the mana issues.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2018
    4vWQfvP.png

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    I'm on mobile, so I think the above post might be a tiny tiny image. I'll fix it when I get back to a desktop.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, when I logged into FFXIV before work this morning and during lunch, there was a level 50 world boss thing literally standing on the next MSQ I need to do. How long does it take for those things to despawn, or is there something I can do when I get off work to get rid of it so I can keep working my way to Heavensward?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    So, when I logged into FFXIV before work this morning and during lunch, there was a level 50 world boss thing literally standing on the next MSQ I need to do. How long does it take for those things to despawn, or is there something I can do when I get off work to get rid of it so I can keep working my way to Heavensward?

Don't those wander? Otherwise a lev70 can probably solo it.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Don't those wander? Otherwise a lev70 can probably solo it.

Not this one. Or at least not far. He went from standing in the middle of the circle to standing next to the circle, and back again. I tried to do the quest anyway, but one of the adds I need to kill was a caster who spawned under the world boss's legs. It...didn't work out for me.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Call it out in shout or fc or both and wait for people to show up to.murder it for seals.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Yeah 100% if you run into an issue like that again let the FC know, if I'm on I'll come murderize it for you, I'm certain a lot of other people will too!

That's bad design though, hopefully its rare that it spawns there D:

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you do a shout to fC or even just zone and let them know that /t is at /pos the hunting linkshells will be THRILLED to come murderize it for you. A small horde of players will storm in. "Are we all here?" "Pulling at 0300" "wait! I just zoned in." "Pulled." "Who pulled?" "Dead" "Target is dead" "YOu jerks! why didn't you wait!" "haha, too slow" And then a bunch of teleporting bongs and silence.

What just happened? You do not know. All praise the Great Hunt.

soylenth on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    76krwo3i3o5r.png

O5N

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So Queen and I just finished the MSQ featuring the finale of the

(post Heavensward spoilers)
    Warriors of Darkness

Obviously, Queen was indifferent to the story (though she did watch the more action-oriented cut scenes and enjoyed the challenge of the final duty, figuring out it's mechanics before I did), I could not help but note the metaphors on display. Am I crazy or did this story line come off as:
    A metaphorical apology to FFXIV players for the bungled launch.

Hear me out:

The warriors of darkness are obviously the same characters that we players have seen in all of the FFXIV cutscenes and were meant to be stand ins for the player characters; from 1.0, where they fight the Malboro, through rebirth, all the way to Heavensward's intro. Up until this quest whenever I saw those characters in my mind I went "insert your character here".

Now, we find out that this is not true, these are actual characters in the story who were experiencing a parallel version of our Warrior of Light's reality (aka, the "First World"). To me, the allusion of their doomed world made me feel like they were talking about an alternate reality where ARR never happened. A parallel FFXIV that was never rebooted, and instead, just faded into ignomity, as it might very well have. To me, the WoD also represented the fraction of the fanbase that insisted that 1.0 wasn't all bad and resented the reboot, unwilling to see that while yes, some of the aspects (i.e. better graphics, for one) had to be scuttled, the resulting produt is superior and more accessible than "theirs" was. Instead of accepting this, they simply choose to get angry that "their" world was destroyed and instead desire to tear down the new world, even if that won't bring the old world back.

Ultimately though, when Minfilia agrees to go back to the First World with them (assuming they're don't just die and join the lifestream there), WoD says something along the lines of "forge a different path". On its face that can be taken as "don't make the same mistakes we did" in the literal sense, but I take it metaphorically as well where it could mean "hey, your path will be different than ours, and that's not a bad thing".

Anyways, high marks on that storyline, though I hear it was rushed for some reason or other. You guys were all gushing about Heavensward's story, and when I hit the first credits I was like "it was cool, but nothing to gush about". Little did I know that they saved the best bits for the after-credits.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Most Heavensward gushing is including up to 3.3 (Nidhogg trial) which is still, to me, the high point. Everything about that fight came together great for a satisfying climax to that story.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    As a rule, an expansion's story "concludes" in the X.3 patch - ARR concluded with 2.3, with 2.4 starting the Heavensward storyline, Heavensward concluded in 3.3 and Stormblood began in 3.4, and 4.3 served as the capstone of Stormblood.

• Options
    As a rule, an expansion's story "concludes" in the X.3 patch - ARR concluded with 2.3, with 2.4 starting the Heavensward storyline, Heavensward concluded in 3.3 and Stormblood began in 3.4, and 4.3 served as the capstone of Stormblood.

Well, being late comers, we don't get the benefit of knowing "you are now entering 3.x", so it's all one big story to us. :biggrin:

• Options
    So Queen and I just finished the MSQ featuring the finale of the

(post Heavensward spoilers)
    Warriors of Darkness

Obviously, Queen was indifferent to the story (though she did watch the more action-oriented cut scenes and enjoyed the challenge of the final duty, figuring out it's mechanics before I did), I could not help but note the metaphors on display. Am I crazy or did this story line come off as:
    A metaphorical apology to FFXIV players for the bungled launch.

Hear me out:

The warriors of darkness are obviously the same characters that we players have seen in all of the FFXIV cutscenes and were meant to be stand ins for the player characters; from 1.0, where they fight the Malboro, through rebirth, all the way to Heavensward's intro. Up until this quest whenever I saw those characters in my mind I went "insert your character here".

Now, we find out that this is not true, these are actual characters in the story who were experiencing a parallel version of our Warrior of Light's reality (aka, the "First World"). To me, the allusion of their doomed world made me feel like they were talking about an alternate reality where ARR never happened. A parallel FFXIV that was never rebooted, and instead, just faded into ignomity, as it might very well have. To me, the WoD also represented the fraction of the fanbase that insisted that 1.0 wasn't all bad and resented the reboot, unwilling to see that while yes, some of the aspects (i.e. better graphics, for one) had to be scuttled, the resulting produt is superior and more accessible than "theirs" was. Instead of accepting this, they simply choose to get angry that "their" world was destroyed and instead desire to tear down the new world, even if that won't bring the old world back.

Ultimately though, when Minfilia agrees to go back to the First World with them (assuming they're don't just die and join the lifestream there), WoD says something along the lines of "forge a different path". On its face that can be taken as "don't make the same mistakes we did" in the literal sense, but I take it metaphorically as well where it could mean "hey, your path will be different than ours, and that's not a bad thing".

Anyways, high marks on that storyline, though I hear it was rushed for some reason or other. You guys were all gushing about Heavensward's story, and when I hit the first credits I was like "it was cool, but nothing to gush about". Little did I know that they saved the best bits for the after-credits.

Could be, although the plot itself is essentially taken wholesale from FF III (same with The Crystal Tower 24-man raid arc).

Sometime in the last few years (I think it was 4 or so years ago... I think just before Heavensward came out) during the in-game anniversary event, Yoshi-P and the rest of the team flat out thanked the player for sticking with them, keeping the XIV dream alive, and that while things may never be perfect, the devs would always try to keep the players' best interests in mind. The anniversary events are generally great, with the team thanking the player directly, but that one, in particular, was pretty rad/emotional.

BTW, in case you weren't aware, the Wandering Minstrel NPC is essentially Yoshi-P's avatar in the game.

• Options
    Oh, and I thought I should mention that Queen totally has the hots for Aymeric. When we got the miniature Aymeric as a quest reward, her first reaction was "I wonder if it's anatomically correct?". I gave her the side-eye and said "first of all, even if it was, it's not like it's life-sized".

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Sometime in the last few years (I think it was 4 or so years ago... I think just before Heavensward came out) during the in-game anniversary event, Yoshi-P and the rest of the team flat out thanked the player for sticking with them, keeping the XIV dream alive, and that while things may never be perfect, the devs would always try to keep the players' best interests in mind. The anniversary events are generally great, with the team thanking the player directly, but that one, in particular, was pretty rad/emotional.

BTW, in case you weren't aware, the Wandering Minstrel NPC is essentially Yoshi-P's avatar in the game.

https://youtu.be/LIQRhkKAE5I?t=4024

Skip to 1:07:00

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Going through retainer inventories trying to tidy things up for the run to 70, and it occurs to me to wonder why retainers can hold gil. Is there a reason to shift gil to them as a tax shelter or something, or do they do better on missions if their wallet is full, or is it simply one extra step of clicking required for getting money from auctions sales?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Going through retainer inventories trying to tidy things up for the run to 70, and it occurs to me to wonder why retainers can hold gil. Is there a reason to shift gil to them as a tax shelter or something, or do they do better on missions if their wallet is full, or is it simply one extra step of clicking required for getting money from auctions sales?

The latter. I use it as a savings account.

• Options

But why? Do they give interest? Or is it just to resist impulse spending?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

But why? Do they give interest? Or is it just to resist impulse spending?

Honestly it's kind of standard to be able to stash money away in MMOs, and yeah, just as a way to set aside "this is not for spending".

Although in this case I'm going to go with how 1.0 markets worked required it. 1.0 markets were the worst.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah, it is a remenant of 1.0 market stuff. There is no current application for giving your retainer money.

This discussion has been closed.