As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Can you set the length of the night period?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Can you set the length of the night period?

Not independently of the day, no. I looked.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    A tragedy has emerged this evening.

The multipart garden blocks from Garden Stuff have not been implemented yet in the 1.12.2 version. In fact, very little has been. The last commit from the mod author was roughly 6 months ago.

I may still include it because the stuff that's in there is good I guess, but...I was looking forward to arranging all the flowers in my little garden. :(

EDIT: Planning to upload another test version tonight. I have the biome generation working correctly I think, though 1) I'm planning to add a custom biome for spawn, and 2) I could probably stand to tweak the generation weights some. In the end, most of the fancier stuff I've tried hasn't worked yet (like disabling crafting for specific items), but I can probably get it working eventually. This is my first pack, after all.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    OK, here we go. Eight and a half pages of config/changelog/roadmap notes, all compiled this weekend to give you Serene Valley BETA v1.1.

Things that are working:
    1) I think the world is limited to the biomes I intended. List is in a spoiler at the bottom of the post. If you see any biomes that aren't on that list, let me know. In general, if you notice any wastelands or ugly bullshit, I proooobably meant to take that out.
    2) Day length seems to be roughly what I intended, although it's hard to tell exactly.
    3) Seasons are effecting biome foliage and weather correctly, although I still need to make sure to blacklist some of the biomes so they're evergreen.
    4) Game seems to be running stable with no crashes. I had to change out the chunk-claiming mod for FTB Utilities because, weirdly, the money mod it was dependent on kept crashing the game. I do know how to link chunk claims to quests, though, so the gameplay should remain the same.
    5) Preeeeeettty sure hunger and food are working as intended?

Things that aren't working yet:
    1) Not sure about disabled crafting recipes yet. I might have gotten that working tonight, will have to test some more. Basically, you shouldn't be able to craft any of the grappling hooks except the wooden one, and you shouldn't be able to craft the Nature's Compass.
    2) I'm not 100% sold on the current day lengthening mod. It causes stuttering of things like the grandfather clocks from Bibliocraft -- the pendulum doesn't swing smoothly. May try another mod to see if it works any differently.
    3) Speaking of those damn clocks, I can't open the GUI to control their redstone pulsing. I suspect it's a conflict with the Carry On mod, as at one point when I would shift-click to open the GUI, it picked the clock up instead -- not into my inventory, just into my hands. May have to move to a different mod for this functionality, or else just remove it.
    4) Still need to configure biome weight, mob spawns, and a bunch of other things like that. I think I've figured out a way to limit some mobs to certain seasons, and even to sub-seasons (Early Spring, instead of just Spring) using the Game Stages mod. So there's a possibility I'll have it set up where the fauna changes with the seasons -- hummingbirds around the spawn village in spring, hedgehogs in the summer, swans in the autumn, etc. Could be a slight element of Monster Hunter to hunting specific mobs, trying to narrow down their habitats and seasons.
    5) All the custom stuff -- bee species, the spawn biome, quest lines, etc. I had a really cool idea to use the Modular Machinery mod to add an extra use for the HarvestCraft bees. In Stardew Valley, the bees produce different kinds of honey depending on what flowers you plant near their hives. What I'm thinking is introducing a simple machine that's an advanced beehive. You put in a HarvestCraft bee (not a Forestry bee, those are for breeding) and a flower, give it time, and it produces honey associated with that particular type of flower. Could be used for quests, potion systems, etc. But that may wait until post-release.

Anyway, if anybody gives it a whirl, let me know what you think. The full changelog/config notes are at the link from the beginning of this post.

Biome List
    Alps
    AlpsFoothills
    Bamboo Forest
    Bayou
    Boreal Forest
    Chaparral
    Cherry Blossom Grove
    Coniferous Forest
    Coral Reef
    Crag
    Dark Forest
    Deep Ocean
    Dense Twilight Forest
    Enchanted Forest
    Eucalyptus Forest
    Extreme Hills
    Fire Swamp
    Flower Field
    Flower Forest
    Flower Island
    Forest
    FrozenRiver
    Glacier
    Grassland
    Grove
    Highland
    Ice Plains Spikes
    Jungle
    Kelp Forest
    Land of Lakes
    Lavender Fields
    Lush Desert
    Lush Swamp
    Mangrove
    Maple Woods
    Marsh
    Meadow
    Mega Spruce Taiga
    Mega Taiga
    Mesa (Bryce)
    Moor
    Mountain
    MountainFoothills
    Mushroom Forest
    MushroomIsland
    Mystic Grove
    Ocean
    Ominous Woods
    Orchard
    Outback
    Overgrown Cliffs
    Pasture
    Plains
    Rainforest
    Redwood Forest
    River
    Roofed Forest
    Sacred Springs
    Savanna Plateau
    Snowy Coniferous Forest
    Sunflower Plains
    Swampland
    Taiga
    Tropical Island
    Tropical Rainforest
    Twilight Clearing
    Twilight Forest
    Volcanic Island
    Wetland
    White Beach
    Xeric Shrubland

EDIT: Me, waiting on hold at work today: "Guess I'll go down the dump-list of entities and figure out how many mobs I'm gonna be configuring spawn rates for, and how many I'm gonna be disabling entirely. [...] Oh, 385 spawn rates, huh? Is that all?"

EDIT 2: Somebody else needs to post something in here so it's not just me rambling about my latest descent into madness.

Anyway, I think I've figured out a way to disable instant crafting/processing for some items like jelly, yogurt, and booze, and implement small "machines" (really just a couple blocks stacked on each other) for long-term crafting of those items. For instance, you stack a couple specific blocks on top of each other to make a "Preserves Jar", then you drop sugar, fruit, and maybe water bottles in there, and it'll churn out some jelly every <insert measurement of in-game time>. Similar to the item of the same name from Stardew Valley, obviously. I've already built the JSON recipe for the machine itself, along with an Aging Keg for booze and a Garden Hive for honey infusion. Now I just gotta make the individual recipes, but those are even easier than the machine definitions, from what I can tell.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I would like to give it a whirl yes

Edit: Initial impressions are really good, I'm enjoying it.

Food rotting is a cool mechanic however the fact that they don't stack is causing me storage issues as they rot? would you be able to link it so rot only occurs at a set period? so after a day or half a day all items rot. Also maybe look at removing spawns from Forestry or Thermal Foundation so that there's only one copper, one tin and so on.

I'll add more as i play :)

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    I would like to give it a whirl yes

Edit: Initial impressions are really good, I'm enjoying it.

Food rotting is a cool mechanic however the fact that they don't stack is causing me storage issues as they rot? would you be able to link it so rot only occurs at a set period? so after a day or half a day all items rot. Also maybe look at removing spawns from Forestry or Thermal Foundation so that there's only one copper, one tin and so on.

I'll add more as i play :)

1. Food Funk actually just updated with a new decay clock method that only adds the decay after (configurable) 1% of the food's decay time has passed, so if you harvest a field/herd/batch of stuff it should all stack. The next harvest, obviously, will probably require a separate stack, but that's kinda cool in itself, IMO. This should be live in my next upload, probably this Sunday night again.
    2. Yeah, ore unification is a thing I'm looking into. I haven't customized the ore generation at all yet, so I may be able to solve it at that time by only including one of each duplicate. Alternatively, I can use the Game Stages + Ore Stages to make (for instance) all copper ore appear as Forestry's version to players who hadn't "unlocked" the OreUnification stage -- and then just not include a way to unlock that stage, so the effect is permanent.

So yes, I agree these are problems. The first will definitely be resolved this weekend, assuming the new Food Funk version works like the author says. The second...probably not until the end stages of the pack development.

• Options
    I think making it like 5% would be okay, cos of not picking up everything at once. Like bugs... so many.. bugs

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    I think making it like 5% would be okay, cos of not picking up everything at once. Like bugs... so many.. bugs

This is funny, because I already nerfed the drop rate to 33% of its default setting. I guess I'll drop it even further for the next release, thanks for the heads-up.

Raw bugs are going to have a very short rot timer (a couple in-game days) before they "rot" to nothing as though they crawled away. Cooked bugs, on the other hand, are currently set as nonperishable.

• Options
    Oh also I'm getting pretty big hitching after about 30 minutes

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Oh also I'm getting pretty big hitching after about 30 minutes

Can you spot anything in particular that seems to be causing it, via either the debug screen or just eyeballing it?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    What's the simplest way to "autocraft" pumpkins into pumpkin seeds in the DW20 1.12 pack? I need Seed Oil for making Grassoline, and I think Pumpkins are the way to go. Either that or Melons, but I think I'd need to autobreak Melons and then autocraft and ehh.

Now that I'm typing it I realize there's probably an RFTools block that will do it. Kind of overkill though for such a simple task.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    What's the simplest way to "autocraft" pumpkins into pumpkin seeds in the DW20 1.12 pack? I need Seed Oil for making Grassoline, and I think Pumpkins are the way to go. Either that or Melons, but I think I'd need to autobreak Melons and then autocraft and ehh.

Now that I'm typing it I realize there's probably an RFTools block that will do it. Kind of overkill though for such a simple task.

The RFTools autocrafter is really easy to make and runs on pretty little power. It's default version is cheap and upgradable, and it has a good interface. I'd use that.

• Options
    Yeah im not sure how rare you want them to be but theyre filling my inventory atm.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Yeah im not sure how rare you want them to be but theyre filling my inventory atm.

Turns out I'm a dingus and misread the config files, so the drop rate is actually 300% of default instead of 33%.

...fixing this now...

• Options
    Let me know when you do a release. Ill kerp seeing if I can find more about the lagspikes

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Re: the lag spikes, I may be cutting Lycanites and Botania again because they're cool, but they're also huge and I just don't know how important they are to what the pack is doing. I feel like Lycanites in particular balloons load times and probably is very bad for the tick processing due to AI, complex model rendering, etc.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Looks like it's a memory leak or something. After about 30 minutes the memory usage constantly ticks up too 100% and then freezes as it dumps it. Might be a problem with my Java arguments.

Edit: Dumped a bunch more memory for MC to use, might need to buy some more too

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Pretty sure the Thermal Expansion machines have a way to do that. Either through their autocrafter, or I believe the saw can split melons.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Also Botania if its active doesnt spawn flowers

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    So not sure if this is intended but, Lycanites I like, but some of them are a huge pain in the dick. Specifically the Reaper? attacks me when I'm trying to sleep. Also I can't sleep? BUT I am having a lot of fun with the pack so far

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    So not sure if this is intended but, Lycanites I like, but some of them are a huge pain in the dick. Specifically the Reaper? attacks me when I'm trying to sleep. Also I can't sleep? BUT I am having a lot of fun with the pack so far

Not being able to sleep is intended, yeah. I've already removed Lycanites and Botania from my current build -- Botania was spawning flowers, but they were damn hard to find and the power level of some of the tech isn't really consistent with the gameplay loop I'm trying to foster.

It's unlikely there will be a build released tonight, because all the coolest stuff I've tried to implement this week has all reached a state of buggy/non-functional behavior at the same time. I've got bits and pieces of cool stuff working, like netherrack in the fire swamps, but then like...there's no dirt layer in the fire swamps anymore for some reason, so it just looks ugly instead of fantastic.

The work continues, get hype, etc. Glad you're enjoying it so far, I appreciate the feedback.

• Options
    Is.. there an alternative to sleeping? Or just stay up all night. And ill keep playing tonight

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Is.. there an alternative to sleeping? Or just stay up all night. And ill keep playing tonight

Right now, there's no alternative to sleeping. It's intended to keep the seasonal cycles predictable once this is on a server -- if people are sleeping through the nights, then the seasons are passing unpredictably faster for the players who aren't online at the time.

HOWEVER. You can sleep if you temporarily disable the Insomniac mod. If you're using the Twitch/Curse client, there should be a little toggle switch next to it.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Does not-sleeping still set your spawn point?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Does not-sleeping still set your spawn point?

It does. At least, theoretically. There's a config option for it, and I've got it set that way, but haven't actually tested that specifically.

• Options
    Yeah clicking the bed sets spawn

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Got some questions about building a new pc to run as a server for myself. I've got most the guts of my old gaming computer less the case PSU and a HDD, would it be worth grabbing a small SSD and chucking it in and figuring out how to make it run with Linux or just go the windows route?

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Got some questions about building a new pc to run as a server for myself. I've got most the guts of my old gaming computer less the case PSU and a HDD, would it be worth grabbing a small SSD and chucking it in and figuring out how to make it run with Linux or just go the windows route?

My understanding has been that the SSD doesn't really provide much advantage for Minecraft.

Also, y'all, I love the way Fairy Lights look as decoration and mining illumination. It may be my favorite mod in the pack, actually.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Easy. Saves me money cos its literally gonna be me and maybe another on it. Just need a case psu and a hdd.

Edit: Any chance of a map mod or is it not what youre going for? Also I found animals and the tiny bunny is so cute

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Easy. Saves me money cos its literally gonna be me and maybe another on it. Just need a case psu and a hdd.

Edit: Any chance of a map mod or is it not what youre going for? Also I found animals and the tiny bunny is so cute

I haven't added a map mod because JourneyMap can be installed client-side, if I understand correctly.

I may end up adding JourneyMap or Antique Atlas as standard before final release, but in the current testing phase it would pretty much just be dead weight.

EDIT: Also, tonight I got the Preserves Jar working. The Aging Keg and the Garden Hive are also being recognized by the multiblock reader, but I don't have any working recipes for them yet so I couldn't really test them out. The Preserves Jar, however, was happily on its way to processing some Kiwi Jelly for me.

I've cut some more mods to make way for stuff that's less redundant or has more content. For instance, the Wearables mod just didn't have as many outfit options as I thought, so I'm snipping it out. Trying to keep the mod count at or below 125 from now on.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Finally got my custom spawn biome, Idyllic Plateau, to appear in world gen properly!
    evefiqmtwb5o.png

It is...possible I misunderstood exactly how the mob spawn weights work!

WACriminal on
  • Options
    Having my wisdom teeth (top 2) taken out tomorrow, so who knows how much progress I'll make this weekend in my inevitably drug-addled state. The good news:
    1) I'm taking Garden Stuff out and replacing it with Floricraft. Floricraft has working multipart flower beds, which was the main feature I originally downloaded Garden Stuff for. It also adds some cute stuff like balloons, a flower farm biome, iron golem dolls, and a really pretty flower petal effect that can be applied to torches or weapons.
    2) I've also removed Wearables, Weirding Gadget, Pam's Portal Poof, Lycanites, Rustic, Carry On, and Botania.
    Wearables -- Just wasn't as much content there as I had thought. Wasn't worth the mod slot anymore.
    Weirding Gadget -- Chunk-loading and claiming can all be handled via FTB Utils.
    Pam's Portal Poof -- Replaced with Dimension Stages, which gives us the option to open up the other dimensions later on if we want.
    Lycanites -- As pointed out earlier in the thread, the mobs are just too hard for the tone of the pack, and it was a monstrous load on the startup/tick/rendering times pretty much always. In its place, I'm adding Primitive Mobs, which is much smaller, much less hardcore, and has some cute little critters I can use in various biomes.
    Rustic -- Just too much overlap and not enough unique content. In its place, I'm throwing in a heavily config'd Better With Mods, because grinding flour with windmills is better than, like, a third beekeeping mechanic.
    Carry On -- Was just conflicting with too many different things during my testing, seemed like. Quark(? I think?) has animal nets for bringing pets/livestock back to your base.
    Botania -- Similar reasoning to Lycanites. It's just too much, too high-power, too much of a load on the system.
    3) Settled on how the honey variety system works.

Garden Hive -- First, you build a multiblock structure out of honeycomb blocks and Modular Machinery input/output/control blocks.
    Input -- Put in a Harvestcraft queen bee, plus any number of flowers from vanilla, Ferdinand's Flowers, Biomes O Plenty, etc. I may add Pam's Weeee Flowers in for this purpose, depending on the final mod count. Neither the bee nor the flowers will be consumed in this process.
    Processing -- Any Garden Hive with a bee in it will have a ~50% chance of putting out an NBT-modified honey item every in-game day. If it's just the bee (with no flowers), the honey will be Weak Honey, with no special flavor profiles. Otherwise, the flavor profiles will be dependent on the specific flowers used, or rather their categories. Every valid flower will have three traits: A primary trait, a secondary-A trait, and a secondary-B trait. For honey to have a primary flavor profile, it needs only one flower that has that primary trait. To attain a secondary flavor profile, however, it needs at least one flower with the matching secondary-A trait, and at least one flower with the matching secondary-B trait.

Example: You put in a Rose, a Venus Fly Trap, and a Lily of the Valley. They have the following (hypothetical) traits:

Rose -- Primary: Floral, Secondary-A: Buttery, Secondary-B: Creamy
    Venus Fly Trap -- Primary: Funky, Secondary-A: Chunky, Secondary-B: Salty
    Lily of the Valley -- Primary: Floral, Secondary-A: Creamy, Secondary-B: Salty

The resulting honey should have a Primary flavor of Funky, with a Secondary flavor of Creamy. Even though there are two flowers with the Floral trait, the recipe sorter will prioritize matching secondary flavors, selecting the primary flavor from among the other flowers.

Long-term plan is to have a honey festival in the summer or fall, where villagers will purchase honey with (randomly-selected) specific traits in exchange for special festival currency (similar to the festival Star Tokens in Stardew Valley) which can, in turn, be used to purchase otherwise unobtainable decorations and resources -- mob trophies, End Stone, spawn eggs, etc. I may even gate advanced beekeeping equipment behind the honey festival currency, in particular the genetic machines. Maybe a crop or two.

Anyway all of this to say, I'm making good progress and I know where I'm headed, but this is not going to be an immediate release.

• Options
    Frankly, I'm surprised you get any honey from a hive you drop a Venus Flytrap into.

• Options
    Animania looks like it isn't letting my animals grow up I left it running but all my chicks are just that

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Animania looks like it isn't letting my animals grow up I left it running but all my chicks are just that

How long did you leave it running? It's currently config'd to be 24 real hours between growths, for server purposes, but that could be really shitty in single-player.

It is possible, however, that such a slow rate is causing it to glitch out and not advance at all, so I can lower it if that's the case.

EDIT: Also, surgery went pretty well and I'm mostly back up and running, but my brain hasn't really been in a space this afternoon/tonight to be messing with CraftTweaker scripts and such, which is kinda the phase I'm in now. Hope to get some of that done this weekend and have another test version worth releasing by Sunday night.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    24 real hours is quite long for SP, I might tweak it on my end as i'm just dinking around SP

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Real 24 hours is probably a bad idea tbh. People who have a regular gaming schedule will always be playing at the same time of day which can lead to issues when a particular thing is only available at a certain time (ie enemy drops).

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Real 24 hours is probably a bad idea tbh. People who have a regular gaming schedule will always be playing at the same time of day which can lead to issues when a particular thing is only available at a certain time (ie enemy drops).

Well, the animals can grow when you're not there, so it's more like you get a new baby, you come back the next day and it's an adult. Assuming you leave them in a loaded chunk, which you should do anyway if you don't want them to despawn, I'd think?

But you're right about the 24 hour cycle, which is why I've got the day-night cycle offset to 4.5 game days every real day, so if you logged in at the same time every day you'd alternate between day and night.

• Options
    Animals don't despawn as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Animals don't despawn as far as I'm aware.

Well, regardless, the point stands that you don't have to be present for your animals to age. I may still lower the aging delay, because I've already got a high birthing cooldown set, so I may simply pace the game that way.