As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this too passive-aggressive/inappropriate in context?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Does this sound very passive aggressive for something that is only 4 days late? I am in the middle of writing up an email and the below is my proposed beginning. I'm going back and forth internally on whether to bring up the lateness. My concern is that this exchange may come up later in some kind of legal proceeding, if necessary, so I would like his acquiescence that the below was, in fact, our agreement.

Then again, it's only 4 days late and I'd like to avoid exacerbating an already hostile situation. But the relationship between myself and the recipient of the below have deteriorated to the point where I feel I need to be very careful in my communications.
As a reminder, the July/August utility payment reimbursements were due on 8/1 per our standing agreement. Attached are the bills in question and your portion is $X with the following breakdown:

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You could take off the "as a reminder" but otherwise sounds fine.
    Make sure you have an action you would like them to take and a due date. So below the $ breakdown, it should have something like, "As shown above, $X is due to me via check, etc. by August X.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I think it sounds fine

If things are already hostile, the other party is bound to read into it whatever they want. But as normal communication there's nothing unreasonable in there, and clarity is key

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Make sure you have an action you would like them to take and a due date. So below the $ breakdown, it should have something like, "As shown above, $X is due to me via check, etc. by August X.

It's "please remit ASAP"

• Options
    Oh and thanks to you both.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    without knowing the rest of the context, you should remove the 'as a reminder.' You're writing them about money they owe you, they already know it's a 'reminder.' I'd also remove the 'per our standing agreement'; again, this person already knows you had an agreement.

"The July/August utility payment reimbursement was due 8/1; please remit $XYZ as soon as possible. Please find attached an itemized accounting for the total.'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    That's interesting - the "as a reminder" phrase isn't the one I was worried about, it was the "were due on 8/1 per our standing agreement." I actually sent my roommates an email on 7/30. The "as a reminder" was actually meant to soften my follow up email - as in I was giving him the pretext to claim forgetfulness. I know he didn't pay on purpose because he is a passive aggressive person and that's his modus operandi, but I figured "as a reminder" would give him another out if he wanted to take it.

The reason I wanted to put the other phrase in there is to have something in writing - not really about reminding him of his agreement. Reimbursing me on the 1st of each month was a verbal agreement, reinforced by his own actions of submitting payment on the 1st each month. Figured it would be useful to have that in writing if he actually agreed in response. But in the end I agree it's too much.

Thanks for giving me something to think about here.

Drez on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It's "please remit ASAP"

I would put a date in there if you're already worried about involving courts. Just say, "remit payment in full by close of business, August 6th, 2018.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I would actually say "as a reminder" does soften the statement - it's one I use frequently in customer tickets to let a customer know something that I actually think they aren't aware of, but meant to imply that is something that we have documented and they should have known. Because just saying "You can't do this" is kinda-sorta verboten at my workplace, you have to say it without saying it that bluntly.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I would actually say "as a reminder" does soften the statement - it's one I use frequently in customer tickets to let a customer know something that I actually think they aren't aware of, but meant to imply that is something that we have documented and they should have known. Because just saying "You can't do this" is kinda-sorta verboten at my workplace, you have to say it without saying it that bluntly.

yea as a reminder implies that you already discussed and they ignored/forgot which is better if trying to document for time

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Your email is fine. I'd just switch up the order and start with the transaction and its terms. Keep everything formal and polite. Passive aggressive people are best handled with direct politeness. There's no reason to engage at all with anything else. Don't bother giving them "outs" or anything else. If anything, preemptively giving them an excuse risks having that excuse actually be used, or will come off as passive aggressive to them (because they are passive aggressive and view everything through that lens).
    As a reminder, Per our standing agreement, the July/August utility payment reimbursements were due on 8/1 per our standing agreement. Attached are the bills in question and your portion is $X with the following breakdown:

If you want to be "nice" then you can reach out to them via phone or in-person to make sure that they are aware of the issue. But even then, all you really want to do is inform them of their obligations and that they are past the due date. You do not want to engage in a conversation about why they haven't paid you yet. The reasons don't matter. All you're really doing is making it clear that you have ensured they are aware of the situation.

And if for some reason they try to play games by having a conversation with you on the phone where they say "oh I'll give it to you on Friday", then follow up via email with something like, "Per our discussion on the phone I have extended your due date in this case to Friday." Ideally you would have some kind of escalation procedure (e.g., late fees) if payment is not received, and you would be able to outline it in the email, but I'm guessing that you didn't set something like this up given the original agreement is a verbal one.

Again, don't bother engaging with anything except the transaction. If they try to play emotional games then the blanket response is, "I'm sorry [you feel this way/this terrible thing happened/you think I'm an asshole/etc.], but these are the terms that we agreed upon. I ask that you please fulfill your obligations."

P.S. - This is why you always get stuff like this in writing.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I was just going to post pretty much exactly what Inquisitor77 did. Some people do consider leading with "Per our agreement" as one of the most passive aggressive phrases you can ever use, and in some ways they are right, but there really isn't a better way to politely say "We fucking talked about this shit, now fucking do it".

Veevee on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People who think "per our agreement" is passive aggressive are just projecting. If you are speaking to a responsible person then you never have to use the phrase because they would've taken care of their shit. If you are speaking to an emotionally mature person then you probably wouldn't use the phrase at all, and if you did then they would likely just think "oh man they're right I fucked up my bad", feel bad about it, then do their best to rectify the situation ASAP.

This goes back to the old adage of: “Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

As an extreme example of how problematic this behavior can be - getting "offended" and deflecting a very basic matter of personal responsibility into how someone else is "making you feel" about it is a classic sign of larger issues such as low self-esteem and narcissistic personality disorder. At that point you can't solve the problem by changing how you say something to someone. The best thing you for everyone involved is to be clear, polite, and consistent.

• Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I did end up sending something. He still hasn’t paid.