As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    That letter has me confused. I thought the selling of ships for real money would end on release? This makes it sound like they're planning to have an f2p-with-buy-in kind of setup even after release.

Has anyone asked them about private servers recently?

That's an interesting point, I've not heard anything on that front for quite a while. It was definitely a major part of the original pitch if I remember correctly, it would definitely be a big deal if they walked back on that one.
    Dunno if you're talking about walking back the ship purchasing or the private servers, but if they renege on the private servers they're breaking like eighteen promises, because they made a big deal about how you can mod the game and one of the pre-release bonuses for backing them was a whole guide to modding and everything. I suppose technically they could say all mods have to be single player only, but surely that wasn't part of the cards... I mean 80% of the reason I backed this game was because I assumed people would eventually make a Star Wars mod for it (like they did for Freelancer). If mods can only be single player that would be ridiculous.

In the last Reverse the Verse, I think Chris Roberts mentioned private servers so they are still a thing or at least he remembers it being a thing.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    That letter has me confused. I thought the selling of ships for real money would end on release? This makes it sound like they're planning to have an f2p-with-buy-in kind of setup even after release.

That's an interesting point, I've not heard anything on that front for quite a while. It was definitely a major part of the original pitch if I remember correctly, it would definitely be a big deal if they walked back on that one.
    Dunno if you're talking about walking back the ship purchasing or the private servers, but if they renege on the private servers they're breaking like eighteen promises, because they made a big deal about how you can mod the game and one of the pre-release bonuses for backing them was a whole guide to modding and everything. I suppose technically they could say all mods have to be single player only, but surely that wasn't part of the cards... I mean 80% of the reason I backed this game was because I assumed people would eventually make a Star Wars mod for it (like they did for Freelancer). If mods can only be single player that would be ridiculous.

In the last Reverse the Verse, I think Chris Roberts mentioned private servers so they are still a thing or at least he remembers it being a thing.

But like... actual private servers? Or something like private instances, where you still need to link up with the master inventory service and can't mod yourself all the ships and stuff.

Because I for one am planning to create a singleplayer/private server cheating ship palooza for myself, and not take part in all that grind, because walking around gorgeous scifi spaceships is about the only thing I want from this game.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »

But like... actual private servers? Or something like private instances, where you still need to link up with the master inventory service and can't mod yourself all the ships and stuff.

Because I for one am planning to create a singleplayer/private server cheating ship palooza for myself, and not take part in all that grind, because walking around gorgeous scifi spaceships is about the only thing I want from this game.

If there aren't showrooms with virtual test drives in the final, I'd be pretty surprised.

(Though I suspect this is probably not the full extent of your meaning)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Arena Commander is already a "virtual" sim within the framework of the game setting, I'd be super-surprised if something similar wasn't done so people could view ships inside and out without having to own them.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Some of their "realism first" design stuff sounds totally un-fun.

Like just as a recent example, they have been doing a lot of press and stuff for the Apollo Medivac ship, and just from the way they have proposed gameplay... it sounds awful to me.

So a person gets a debilitating or life-threatening injury. And then they have to call or signal for a medivac. And then the injured player is literally just sitting around, bleeding out, waiting and hoping that another player who is roleplaying as a medivac pilot happens to be in range to catch their SOS and isn't already busy with another SOS and makes it in time, and isn't a complete douche about it.

All that waiting around and relying on other people just sounds like a completely not-fun and not-engaging gameplay loop.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All that waiting around and relying on other people just sounds like a completely not-fun and not-engaging gameplay loop.
    But think of the amazing griefing opportunities.

"Yeah, I see you. I see you need help. What's in your wallet?"

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, these gameplay elements are conceptual at this point. Changes usually happen once play testing starts.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Some of their "realism first" design stuff sounds totally un-fun.

Like just as a recent example, they have been doing a lot of press and stuff for the Apollo Medivac ship, and just from the way they have proposed gameplay... it sounds awful to me.

So a person gets a debilitating or life-threatening injury. And then they have to call or signal for a medivac. And then the injured player is literally just sitting around, bleeding out, waiting and hoping that another player who is roleplaying as a medivac pilot happens to be in range to catch their SOS and isn't already busy with another SOS and makes it in time, and isn't a complete douche about it.

I presume they have plans for NPC medevac; though I agree that waiting, optimistically, 10 minutes to be able to walk again sounds very unfun.

Even if you allow that a Blizzard-style corpse/graveyard run still eats up a comparable time chunk, at least you're still doing something.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    From what I remember of the wound system, it sounded like a way to speed up respawns or getting you back in the action quicker at full capacity, but it didn't sound like you'd have to wait around for someone to treat you. It read to me like having one in your squad would make things a little easier for you, but it was by no means "required".

• Options
    edited August 2018
    From what I remember of the wound system, it sounded like a way to speed up respawns or getting you back in the action quicker at full capacity, but it didn't sound like you'd have to wait around for someone to treat you. It read to me like having one in your squad would make things a little easier for you, but it was by no means "required".

That was how I remembered it being framed prior to the recent update; which I now realize I have... maybe not actually read?

It's entirely possible I just ogled the new ship design and moved on.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

That was how I remembered it being framed prior to the recent update; which I now realize I have... maybe not actually read?

I'm talking about the ambulance update. I read it because I was thinking it would suck to have to wait to be treated but figured I should read it first before posting, and it didn't read to me like that would be the case.

• Options

I'm talking about the ambulance update. I read it because I was thinking it would suck to have to wait to be treated but figured I should read it first before posting, and it didn't read to me like that would be the case.

Yep, I drank in the fluff never clicked through to the crunch; just read it.

It seems fine.
    While some injuries won’t fully heal until the player has received the correct level of treatment, the more basic medical facilities will still be able to keep non-fatally injured players alive and stop bleeding. However, it’s not recommended for any injured person to stay in a ‘semi-injured’ state for too long, as there will be consequences, such as reduced stamina. Staying in a damaged state for a long time will also make you weaker against further damage, so it should always be a priority to heal yourself as soon as possible to prevent future mishaps.

While recovering health by yourself (respawning or recovering from basic injuries in a medical outpost) will cost less, it may not be the best way to heal yourself depending on the scenario. Calling someone for help via the beacon service will still cost a fee (varying on the severity and/or the distance of the medical ship), but it may be the only way to fully recover from that injury.
    Just sounds like severe enough injuries can create a debuff that you have to get cleared up [unless suicide is more convenient].

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Also, these gameplay elements are conceptual at this point. Changes usually happen once play testing starts.

I feel like it should be past pure concept this far along though

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh.

It just hit me as to what the function of all those emergency shelters you see scattered about may be:

Low-quality respawn points.

I hope this means they'll add the ability to ship claim (or otherwise summon your ride) at arbitrary facilities; otherwise respawning at one (or on a medship) would still be kind of awkward.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh.

It just hit me as to what the function of all those emergency shelters you see scattered about may be:

I hope this means they'll add the ability to ship claim (or otherwise summon your ride) at arbitrary facilities; otherwise respawning at one (or on a medship) would still be kind of awkward.

What? You don't want to hitch a ride on the space rails and possibly get rousted by the space-bulls? Or waving down a passing Starfarer or Hull A and following the Space-Book of the Space-Road to get to where your ship was last seen?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Oh.

What? You don't want to hitch a ride on the space rails and possibly get rousted by the space-bulls? Or waving down a passing Starfarer or Hull A and following the Space-Book of the Space-Road to get to where your ship was last seen?

Only if they already recorded George Carlin for the hitchhiker tutorial mission.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    That video that got posted on the previouis page. It makes the game look kinda neat. But at the same time, I wonder what it was like from the perspective of the guy that was getting picked up.

In the situation presented in the stream, you have Player A, who is the streamer, and he gets a pickup call from Player B, who is randomly stranded on some planet and needs a ride home. What circumstances led to Player B having no ship of his own on the planet? How long was Player B waiting for a lift before Player A answered the call? Was Player B still having fun and engaging gameplay while waiting to be picked up and shuttled off world? What were Player B's options if there wasn't a good samaritan willing to come and help him?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Put out a contract for transport. No akwardness, just space-uber.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly getting to be space Trauma Team sounds like a dream game to me.

Also just popping in to ask how much of the game is available right now? I'm re-downloading and currently just have the really old Aurora MX starter kit which I think gives me access to everything.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    If we’re going to critique the development process, this seems like the article to draw from:

https://wccftech.com/inside-the-star-citizen-development-process-exclusive-interview/

It’s mostly beyond me, but maybe some of you software developers out there have something to say about it.

I’d be interested to hear what @Kashaar thinks.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    If we’re going to critique the development process, this seems like the article to draw from:

https://wccftech.com/inside-the-star-citizen-development-process-exclusive-interview/

It’s mostly beyond me, but maybe some of you software developers out there have something to say about it.

I’d be interested to hear what Kashaar thinks.

All in all that seems pretty reasonable to me. That's probably how you'd best run a production like that.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    "9 women can't have a baby in a month" Hah, I'll have to remember that one.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

I feel like it should be past pure concept this far along though

Correct. If they're having someone open their wallet to the tune of hundreds of dollars to buy a concept for a game, they should be fairly confident that said concept is going to be part of the game.

Not that watching the "Oh, hey everyone who collectively spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy ships for a mechanic that was removed once the game went into beta" drama unfold wouldn't tickle the darker parts of me.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    That video that got posted on the previouis page. It makes the game look kinda neat. But at the same time, I wonder what it was like from the perspective of the guy that was getting picked up.

In the situation presented in the stream, you have Player A, who is the streamer, and he gets a pickup call from Player B, who is randomly stranded on some planet and needs a ride home. What circumstances led to Player B having no ship of his own on the planet? How long was Player B waiting for a lift before Player A answered the call? Was Player B still having fun and engaging gameplay while waiting to be picked up and shuttled off world? What were Player B's options if there wasn't a good samaritan willing to come and help him?

I worry that interactions like giving people lifts, SAR, and the trauma team are going to suffer because of the player dickishness that afflicts all MMOs. Player B calls for help, Player A responds, and then Player C, D, and E blow Player A to hell just for the lols.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I worry that interactions like giving people lifts, SAR, and the trauma team are going to suffer because of the player dickishness that afflicts all MMOs. Player B calls for help, Player B responds, and then Player C, D, and E blow Player A to hell just for the lols.
    This sounds amazing / where do I sign up?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Anything players can kill they will. They have to realize that.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That is a problem you could solve in-universe. If you're part of an org big enough to have dudes with some SAR vehicles than you simply call one of them for rescue if they are available and in the area. If you're playing space ambulance and you get a call to rescue someone you don't know in a lawless/unfamiliar area of space than you simply have one or two of your orgbros join you as a fighter escort. That Apollo or Cutlass Red might look like easy pickings for pirate players, but not so easy when it drops out of QT with a Hornet or a couple of Aurora LNs by its side.

If you're wanting to play solo, or just don't want to deal with the risk, there are probably going to be plenty of well-secured areas of space where you can pick up contracts rescuing NPCs (or idiot players who run out of gas) in relative safety.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I think the major part of getting rid of trolls (well, reducing them) will be persistent universe having opinions about player activities.
    And NPC's making the bulk of active agents in the universe.
    You call for aid, there's no guarantee it's a player that shows up.
    You call for aid and do an ambush for few times, and suddenly it's a naval detachment that shows up.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I think the major part of getting rid of trolls (well, reducing them) will be persistent universe having opinions about player activities.
    You call for aid and do an ambush for few times, and suddenly it's a naval detachment that shows up.

A fully-functioning government-level AI able to interpret the intentions of players is exactly the sort of thing this game needs.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

A fully-functioning government-level AI able to interpret the intentions of players is exactly the sort of thing this game needs.

Does not need to be that complex.
    Just track account level actions and flag potential greefing, once certain treshold is passed start sending npc's after them and post bounties.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Players will grief for the sole purpose of having more shit to blow up sent after them.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Players will grief for the sole purpose of having more shit to blow up sent after them.

That works in GTA where you can keep blowing said shit up until you get bored with it.

It's less the case when the shit that shows up is less of the "shit to blow up" variety and more the "shit that ends you" variety.

• Options

That works in GTA where you can keep blowing said shit up until you get bored with it.

It's less the case when the shit that shows up is less of the "shit to blow up" variety and more the "shit that ends you" variety.

And when there are actual, persisting, consequences.
    The idea to combat griefing in SC is to make it too much work for people to do.
    If not outright impossible for some griefing methods.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Exactly. It's not hard to bake in a significantly difficult or punishing mechanic to make griefers fuck off to another game.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Exactly. It's not hard to bake in a significantly difficult or punishing mechanic to make griefers fuck off to another game.

I'm still unclear on how you're expecting to be able to differentiate between "griefers" and "legitimate players enjoying a good bit of piracy what ho".

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Garthor wrote: »

I'm still unclear on how you're expecting to be able to differentiate between "griefers" and "legitimate players enjoying a good bit of piracy what ho".
    Man, this brings back memories. Used to be a hot topic in the SC forums couple years back.

For one, nobody enjoys a good bit of piracy what ho.
    Being a pirate is a weighty decision, that blocks you from certain places (unless you hide your identity).
    Going pirate is not going to be like doing bit of pvp over the weekend in WoW before going back to raiding.

That said, what is piracy? Is it just shooting at ships? No, it's more, it's a choice of occupation, a way to make profit.
    Griefing does not really provide profit, or have much risks, because griefers are going to want to eliminate risks, which is not really an option for pirates who want to keep being pirates, because piracy is expensive (fuel, missiles, repairs, bribes).

Also, pirates are not just individuals with antisocial tendencies.
    In SC, pirates gather, they have fleets, organizations, permanent strongholds and trading posts.
    And with those, come rules.
    Maybe pirate organizations don't like people shooting at ambulances or taking over hospitals, because they might need those themselves.
    So anyone ambushing ambulances or camping hospitals might find themselves with nowhere to go except the most lawless, least hospitable areas of space, where they get to fight as much as they want, but only against targets who are ready for them.

The game can internally enforce certain codes of conduct simply by having npc's react to player behaviour and make undesireable behaviour too punishing for most people to just drop it.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The game already has wanted levels. You have a bounty on your head then it won't be an ambulance that shows up when you call for help. And if you rely on a clean decoy character to make the call they won't stay clean for long.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    There is no level of anti-piracy or anti-griefing they could possibly put into the game that will adequately dissuade the griefing people are afraid of while also allowing for the pirate/anti-pirate fantasy those people want. Even if they were to disable pvp, life would find a way.

If the worst, most negative predictions for whatever the final version of SC were to come true, and the game was an empty crater of a product, the final scraps of a player base would consist of die hard true believers, and griefers

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mostly you 'deal' with griefers by having a system that supports both aggressive players and contextualizes their aggression in a way that feels fair for PVP averse players.

Traders in Elite don't switch to private mode because they died running from a pirate after refusing to give up the goods. They do it because of the jack ass that drags them out of super cruise and kills them for no possible gain outside sadism.

And you can't get rid of the sadistic sorts who just like to break the system or act out but most people can be managed by creating systems that support their play style.

• Options
    There is no level of anti-piracy or anti-griefing they could possibly put into the game that will adequately dissuade the griefing people are afraid of while also allowing for the pirate/anti-pirate fantasy those people want. Even if they were to disable pvp, life would find a way.

If the worst, most negative predictions for whatever the final version of SC were to come true, and the game was an empty crater of a product, the final scraps of a player base would consist of die hard true believers, and griefers
    Yes, if the most horrible thing imaginable happens, it would totally suck.

That said, not sure what kind of griefing you think people are afraid off.
    But the stated ambulance/hospital scenario given has, i think, adequately shown to be something we can mitigate (though not eliminate) through ingame consequences.

This discussion has been closed.