Options

[Mueller Investigation] Trump/Russian 2016 election interference et al

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    I feel like we already saw a bunch of people connected to Mr. Stone/Stone JR subpoenaed or am I just having crazy deja vu?

There's one guy who has been fighting his subpoena for months now, Andrew Miller.

At first I thought this was the one that got drunk/high and then went on pretty much all the daytime news shows in one day saying he’d ignore the subpoena, and was shocked he was still at it, but apparently I was thinking of Nunberg.

No wonder it’s taking months to get Stone.

Especially if they're going through the criminals alphabetically.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I am dreading what tomorrow might bring. Or potentially even worse, that tomorrow goes by and nothing happens.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Holy shit I am dreading what tomorrow might bring. Or potentially even worse, that tomorrow goes by and nothing happens.

Yo reread the politics rules thread. We don't need Friday news speculation.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that Mueller has been watching the SCOTUS confirmation hearings with great interest.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't see her original source for this, but Marcy Wheeler says Mueller apparently ended his pursuit of Andrew Miller's testimony, which was supposed to be the hold up on Stone's indictment.

Also Concord Management, one of the indicted Russian firms, dropped their appeal. Which I think Kavanaugh was scheduled to hear.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I don't see her original source for this, but Marcy Wheeler says Mueller apparently ended his pursuit of Andrew Miller's testimony, which was supposed to be the hold up on Stone's indictment.

Also Concord Management, one of the indicted Russian firms, dropped their appeal. Which I think Kavanaugh was scheduled to hear.

Does that mean Mueller gave up on getting that testimony or that maybe he found other evidence that would replace the need for that testimony against Stone?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

Does that mean Mueller gave up on getting that testimony or that maybe he found other evidence that would replace the need for that testimony against Stone?

I would imagine he views it as nice to have but not required.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

I would imagine he views it as nice to have but not required.
    at this point anything Mueller wants has to be just another nail in a coffin made entirely out of nails.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Popehat is Ken White popular commentator and 1st amendment lawyer. The AP is a news service. Rudy Giuliani is some kinda lawyer guy.

EDIT: I'm taking this to be official. But if it was all theater, why let his previous lawyer put him through interview rehearsals?

august on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Popehat is Ken White popular commentator and 1st amendment lawyer. The AP is a news service. Rudy Giuliani is some kinda lawyer guy.

EDIT: I'm taking this to be official. But if it was all theater, why let his previous lawyer put him through interview rehearsals?

Maybe it was a means to prove to him how unprepared he was.

Maybe it was the fear he would just decide one day to barge into Muller's office and demand an immediate interview.

Or it was all just theater meant to waste everyone's god damn time.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Probably because they didn't put him through one. The ignorant asshole himself demanded it because he has the best brain, biggest hands, and definitely can run rhetorical rings around some pissant investigation.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This is what innocent people do.

OR

Can you just imagine if Obama or Clinton pulled this stunt.

OR

Fuck these people forever.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Now we reach the part of the game where we see if Mueller decides to subpoena the President, and if he does it before or after the midterms.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Now we reach the part of the game where we see if Mueller decides to subpoena the President, and if he does it before or after the midterms.

Depends how Kavanaugh goes.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Subpoena him on election day.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chuck Todd assured us Mueller will do nothing now that we're officially in election season. So expect nothing between now and november.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Or literally just as voting closes, so he doesn't know how it went but it'd be impossible to say you influenced it.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Chuck Todd assured us Mueller will do nothing now that we're officially in election season. So expect nothing between now and november.

Chuck Todd's source is Rudy Giuliani. Nobody from Mueller leaks.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So George Papadopoulus is asking for leniency from the judge ahead of his sentencing later today. It'll be interesting to see what happens. His status as coffee boy may help but I'm hoping the judge uses this as a message to others that are implicated. Scare more people into making deals or cooperating.

Link CNN or CNBC.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    He loves America the same way he loves anything else - not as much as himself, and only as far as it benefits him

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    And so we enter the endgame

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well now I suspect he explicitly did meet with Russians as well as exchange texts and have phone calls.

At least if prior statements relation to truth continues.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah that's an oddly specific denial to things no one directly said he was doing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Makes me think the president is aware of something big coming out in the news and was being defensive about it but the news has not yet broken so he kinda gave himself away.
    We've seen this pattern in the past where a tweet or rant came out of left field only for us to find out a month later that such and such was interviewed by Mueller.

Handkor on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Yeah that's an oddly specific denial to things no one directly said he was doing.
    KetBra wrote: »
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Honestly, it seemed to me like the kind of flat denial an innocent person would make.

He’s clearly not innocent, I just wouldn’t read into that particular denial very much. He’s not Kavanaugh who spent the last few days trying (and failing) to tip toe around committing perjury by saying he did or didn’t do very specific things.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    And it still doesn't matter whether-or-not he personally did any of it. All the best people that he hand picked did.

Active participation or knowledge makes it worse, of course.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The saga of George Papadopoulos comes to an end, with a 14 days prison sentence. The government recommendation was for 30 days.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    That's ... almost a consequence, I suppose...

• Options
    14 days? He fought all of this for two weeks of prison time? Good fucking lord.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    14 days? He fought all of this for two weeks of prison time? Good fucking lord.

I hope it's that low because of cooperation?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    There's also 12 months of supervised release and 200 hours of community service.

• Options
    The important part here is "He went to jail". At white collar crime levels that alone can be inconceivable.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    The important part here is "He went to jail". At white collar crime levels that alone can be inconceivable.

His low-end sentencing guideline range was probation only, so any kind of custodial sentence is significant, especially in the absence of a strong recommendation from the government.

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/politics/george-papadopoulos-interview-documentary/index.html

Padaopoulos can not guarantee he didn't tell trump about russia, what the fuck does that mean?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Part of the problem withe white collar crime is the disparity between punishment based on the damages done when you compare it to what the rest of society faces for less. People causing billions of dollars of harm face less penalty than someone who smoke a little pot.

So no it's not okay that he goes to prison for just fourteen days. Yes, good he goes to prison, but it's a fucking joke of a sentence.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Part of the problem withe white collar crime is the disparity between punishment based on the damages done when you compare it to what the rest of society faces for less. People causing billions of dollars of harm face less penalty than someone who smoke a little pot.

So no it's not okay that he goes to prison for just fourteen days. Yes, good he goes to prison, but it's a fucking joke of a sentence.

More significant than any amount of jail time he might have received (between 0 and 6 months) is the fact that he's now a convicted felon, which carries more lifelong implications for his future prospects than the unpleasantness of a couple of months in jail would have amounted to.

I understand and empathize when people are upset to see white-collar criminals seemingly getting off easy with light prison sentences, but I think an important aspect of the purpose of the criminal justice system ends up being lost in the emotional desire for what basically amounts to vengeance. Felony convictions in many cases will serve their purpose in that they effectively bar the convict from ever again working in whatever industry previously employed them, thus protecting the public.

I say all this just to nudge people away from the fringes of "thieves and liars should be put away for life!". I'm in your camp -- I wish they went to prison for longer! -- but I get why they don't and having some perspective helps me not be as angry about it.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    He loves America the same way he loves anything else - not as much as himself, and only as far as it benefits him

I don't think the man actually understands what love is.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

More significant than any amount of jail time he might have received (between 0 and 6 months) is the fact that he's now a convicted felon, which carries more lifelong implications for his future prospects than the unpleasantness of a couple of months in jail would have amounted to.

I understand and empathize when people are upset to see white-collar criminals seemingly getting off easy with light prison sentences, but I think an important aspect of the purpose of the criminal justice system ends up being lost in the emotional desire for what basically amounts to vengeance. Felony convictions in many cases will serve their purpose in that they effectively bar the convict from ever again working in whatever industry previously employed them, thus protecting the public.

I say all this just to nudge people away from the fringes of "thieves and liars should be put away for life!". I'm in your camp -- I wish they went to prison for longer! -- but I get why they don't and having some perspective helps me not be as angry about it.
    So the cap of your post is that it is wrong to be angry? Because that's how I'm reading it. Is anyone else reading it this way?

This discussion has been closed.