As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] Black Friday 2017 and onwards!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    What in the heeeeelllll, that is wild.

Another reason to upgrade my 1TB stock HDD to a 2TB SSHD

I'm still doing the 500gb install shuffle... so uhh, ya

Is there a generally recommended drive/brand to go with?

Used to be anything Western Digital made is safe. But with the rise of cost is more important than quality, you have to be careful with chosing your HD. Seagate used to be garbage but they are not that bad now as others say here. I still only buy WD Black line for the warranty though.
    If you were shucking drives, the WD are the worst now. They have these weird proprietary interfaces sometimes. I used a Seagate portable 2TB and it has been fine in two different PS4s. (It does beep sometimes, which was unsettling until I figured out what was making the noise.) Anyway, it's pretty much just Seagate vs. WD these days.

Ahhh. I never go with the premade external hard drives. Companies seem to put their cheaper lines in them. So yeah probably the seagates are better in that realm.

Besides I think the HDD manufacturers are down to only two now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dead By Daylight is the more tightly focused of the two games. There’s only one method by which you can escape (okay technically the hatch exists but if you need it your team fucked up). You can’t really directly fight the killer. You can throw pallets on their head but that is mostly a mechanic to help you put space between you and them. In most cases the killer can’t kill you directly, and they have to put you on hooks where you can be rescued. Perks are generally more powerful than in F13 because games tend to not last as long.

Friday the 13th has far, far bigger maps with many more players at once. There are also several different ways for counselors to win or escape. Jason can kill counselors directly. Chases are generally easier for counselors to drag out for a length of time but if Jason wants to catch you he likely will eventually. Counselors can fight Jason directly as well although it’s typically inadvisable unless you’re very good at combat or have something like a shotgun that evens the odds a bit. Jason can also be killed but it’s lol levels of difficult to genuinely pull off. Games generally last a lot longer than DbD. Gameplay is also far different, generally revolving around exploration, hunting for items or different objectives, weapons, and trying to manage your panic level so you aren’t easy for Jason to find.

Personally I think DbD has more legs but I enjoy both games. But I’m also a horror/asymmetrical gameplay junkie.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Dead By Daylight is the more tightly focused of the two games. There’s only one method by which you can escape (okay technically the hatch exists but if you need it your team fucked up). You can’t really directly fight the killer. You can throw pallets on their head but that is mostly a mechanic to help you put space between you and them. In most cases the killer can’t kill you directly, and they have to put you on hooks where you can be rescued. Perks are generally more powerful than in F13 because games tend to not last as long.

Friday the 13th has far, far bigger maps with many more players at once. There are also several different ways for counselors to win or escape. Jason can kill counselors directly. Chases are generally easier for counselors to drag out for a length of time but if Jason wants to catch you he likely will eventually. Counselors can fight Jason directly as well although it’s typically inadvisable unless you’re very good at combat or have something like a shotgun that evens the odds a bit. Jason can also be killed but it’s lol levels of difficult to genuinely pull off. Games generally last a lot longer than DbD. Gameplay is also far different, generally revolving around exploration, hunting for items or different objectives, weapons, and trying to manage your panic level so you aren’t easy for Jason to find.

Personally I think DbD has more legs but I enjoy both games. But I’m also a horror/asymmetrical gameplay junkie.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it makes it better for Sony to do that since they are much more different then I thought.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I find Friday the 13th offers far more opportunity for hilarity. It can genuinely be quite tense and scary at times though too.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Friday the 13th also makes a whole hell of a lot of sense as one of October's free games

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Saw that they announced the October free games. Surprise, surprise, Diablo 3 is not free.

Friday the 13th
    Laser League
    Master Reboot, PS3
    The Bridge, PS3 (Cross Buy with PS4 and PS Vita)
    Rocketbirds 2: Evolution, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
    2064 Read Only Memories, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
    Here They Lie for PlayStation VR

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/playstation-plus-free-games-for-october/

Didn't the Friday the 13th team lose the rights to the game and can't update it anymore? That's a weird one to give away.

There is an ownership argument in court over Friday the 13th, so Gunn can't make any new content. Gunn has also moved on and left a Japanese company in charge of getting the dedicated servers working properly. The game is still fun if you can get a group together, and the single player is great for practice, or when you just want a quick Jason fix.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Bummer about Friday the 13th being free, Nioh would’ve been cool

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Is that for the US too, or just for Europe?

• Options
    I don't know that seems pretty weird for them to announce November's 2 days after October's. They usually try and keep it secret for longer then that.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I don't know that seems pretty weird for them to announce November's 2 days after October's. They usually try and keep it secret for longer then that.

Maybe because October’s offerings were so shit

A nice little reminder that quality is on the way

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That is a really good offering for next month if it's true.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »

Maybe because October’s offerings were so shit

A nice little reminder that quality is on the way

Touché.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    A poor month is a small mercy on my backlog.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Eh I wouldn't call F13 shit, especially for October. I prefer when they make online games free on PS+ because it injects a massive new playerbase that keeps 'older' titles like F13 alive. More active players online is never a bad thing IMO. While Nioh would have been cool, it wouldn't mean as much as Bloodborne or Destiny 2 or F13 which actually take advantage of the whole point of PS+ which is online multiplayer

Just my opinion anyways

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Eh I wouldn't call F13 shit, especially for October. I prefer when they make online games free on PS+ because it injects a massive new playerbase that keeps 'older' titles like F13 alive. More active players online is never a bad thing IMO. While Nioh would have been cool, it wouldn't mean as much as Bloodborne or Destiny 2 or F13 which actually take advantage of the whole point of PS+ which is online multiplayer

Just my opinion anyways

Kinda funny that online MP is "the whole point of PS+" when that wasn't even part of the service for the first few years. As someone who originally subscribed in the PS3 days solely for the Instant Game Collection, and has seen the quality of the IGC offers take a noticeable dive since PS+ became required for online MP, I would be really disappointed to see PS+ become even more MP-focused. The only multi I do is co-op, so games like F13th or Rocket League are just wasted IGC slots to me.

• Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Sorry, but F13 is not a good game. Glad that shared this early as I was just about to buy Yakuza. Smart for them to share and make sure there aren't too many complaints.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Just my opinion anyways

Kinda funny that online MP is "the whole point of PS+" when that wasn't even part of the service for the first few years. As someone who originally subscribed in the PS3 days solely for the Instant Game Collection, and has seen the quality of the IGC offers take a noticeable dive since PS+ became required for online MP, I would be really disappointed to see PS+ become even more MP-focused. The only multi I do is co-op, so games like F13th or Rocket League are just wasted IGC slots to me.

That's understandable, though I do wish more multiplayer games were made available not just via PS+ but also PS Now, opening up 'indie' multiplayer games like Vermintide to a huge audience that otherwise would never try it is always a good thing in my opinion. I've always wondered how Sony selects their PS+ titles

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    A large part of why I don't care about PS+ is because I assumed the focus was in multiplayer/online items. Since I'm rarely interested in either, I figured it wasn't for me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    As someone who started with the PS4 version of ps+ 3 years ago, the offerings have never been great. However there have been some really good games given out over that time, they are just a little too far between. Personally if I get 4 or 5 good games a year that is worth it for me. Plus it gets me to try some games I otherwise never would have.

• Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    @furlion I totally agree. I am replaying Rogue Legacy (which I never beat) and Don't Starve right now. If I had those as disc games and not just in my library, I would have gamestopped'em a long time ago. I kind of wish that as the PS3 fades that some of those games would be made compatible on PS4. I could be convinced to crack open Borderlands 2 or Kingdoms of Amalur just for fun if my save was on my PS4.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My experience with coming back into the gaming fold was actually on Steam in 2013; before that, the newest system I had was a Wii that we got second-hand from a passed relative, and before that the newest was the NDS. Before that was the PS2. Now what that (paired with hanging out in the Steam threads here for any length of time) meant was that if I got a game, at least until . . . a year or so ago? was that there was no return policy. Which meant I was personally careful, but also given many left over or unused codes from people for games I'd have never played, and it helped to refine what kinds of games I enjoy to the point where now, I can usually look at a game and either tell if I'm going to like it, or tell who I should ask around here if they would recommend it.

Then again, I really didn't grow up trading games away. It's something that happened early on in the N64 era for me, but now if I buy a game, it stays around, even if it's not that great (God of War 3 Remaster, for example). So maybe I just live in a different headspace?

What was my point again? Oh, right, Steam has helped me to both grow and focus my preferred games, and I take that over to the console with the mind that if my computer can't play it, the PS4 can. Also exclusives, of course. But the point being that I mostly know what I like at this point, so I'm not too worried about trying out games I might not have, as that usually means (now) that the game has something that would actively discourage me.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    furlion I totally agree. I am replaying Rogue Legacy (which I never beat) and Don't Starve right now. If I had those as disc games and not just in my library, I would have gamestopped'em a long time ago. I kind of wish that as the PS3 fades that some of those games would be made compatible on PS4. I could be convinced to crack open Borderlands 2 or Kingdoms of Amalur just for fun if my save was on my PS4.

Yeah actually Rogue legacy was one of the first games I got. Let's see Until Dawn, Rocket League, Xcom 2, Mafia 3, Apotheon, like three or four different Telltale games, Helldivers, Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Nom Nom Galaxy, Deadly Tower of Monsters, Transformers Devastation, and Transistor are all games that either I never would have bothered to try but really enjoyed or wanted to buy but got for free (more or less). I totally get why people complain, there are a lot of obvious filler games, but I feel like I get my money worth even aside from the extra 10-50% off on game sales.

Not trying to shill but as someone with little extra money to spend on games those free games keep my backlog nice and healthy.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well F13th is a 1) multiplayer focused game with 2) a bunch of serious issues and that 3) will never get any more content
    There is no way I'll ever even install it

Yakuza Kiwami, OTOH...

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Well F13th is a 1) multiplayer focused game with 2) a bunch of serious issues and that 3) will never get any more content
    There is no way I'll ever even install it

Yakuza Kiwami, OTOH...

Yep, totally worth a look. I'm finishing it up in the next week. Next Friday I'll be hosting an Extra Life 24 hour stream, and hope to start Kiwami 2 for it. 2 looks to add more of what made Yakuza 0 astoundingly good, including playable Goro Majima again, and managing cabaret clubs.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Square releasing a Kingdom Hearts: All of the Things bundle ahead of the release of KH3.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/05/kingdom-hearts-the-story-so-far-arriving-in-october-2018/
    Square Enix has announced another way for people to catch up on Kingdom Hearts ahead of Kingdom Hearts III’s launch. A new PlayStation 4 compilation called Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far will be coming to stores on October 30, 2018.

Basically, Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far is a way to get Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 Remix and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue in one package for $39.99. Should you acquire this collection, you get access to all of the following games and movies for your PlayStation 4.

KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
    KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
    KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD Remastered cinematics)
    KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
    KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep Final MIX
    KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD Remastered cinematics)
    KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
    KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A fragmentary passage–
    KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Every time I've tried to start the first Kingdom Hearts I've gotten like a couple hours in and wondered why I was doing anything and stopped

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Back when it first came out it was to see the then unrivaled production values and all the Disney stuff with an occasional sprinkling of Final Fantasy cameos. They’ve gone in a different direction since then.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Back when it first came out it was to see the then unrivaled production values and all the Disney stuff with an occasional sprinkling of Final Fantasy cameos. They’ve gone in a different direction since then.

Yep, I had to stop for that as well. When Disney was the majority of the game, I was fine with it. Now it's JRPG bullshit with Disney cameos, and it doesn't gel at ALL.

It doesn't help when the story has become Xenosaga/Trails levels of convoluted.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Thread is in desperate need of a title change.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    We're just going deeeeep into the onward part, that's all

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    we're just trying to pretend that 2018 isn't happening

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    2017-2018 has straight up been the longest sixteen years of my life

• Options
    I've run into a weird issue with screenshots. I can take them and see the thumbnails in the capture gallery, but when I try to view them they don't load. It's just a black screen. This just started happening recently with Assassins Creed, but screenshots I've previously taken in Spider-Man and Tomb Raider don't load either. If I send one as an attachment in a message it's viewable, but I can't look at anything through the capture gallery.

Anyone have any ideas? A google search didn't provide me with any answers =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I've run into a weird issue with screenshots. I can take them and see the thumbnails in the capture gallery, but when I try to view them they don't load. It's just a black screen. This just started happening recently with Assassins Creed, but screenshots I've previously taken in Spider-Man and Tomb Raider don't load either. If I send one as an attachment in a message it's viewable, but I can't look at anything through the capture gallery.

Are you taking them in 4K without being on a 4K monitor/TV? Try reducing the resolution in the Share settings menu.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Are you taking them in 4K without being on a 4K monitor/TV? Try reducing the resolution in the Share settings menu.

I've not changed the share settings on my PS4 in 5 years, and it was set to 3840 x 2160. All my previous screenshots are those same dimensions as well. I dunno if the most recent system update changed something, but now all my old screenshots are ruined... I manually changed it to 1920 x 1080 and I can view new screenshots, my other ones appear to be stuck at 2160.

That really bums me out because I had a lot of shots I really liked :(

Thanks though, that appears to have been the issue.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I've not changed the share settings on my PS4 in 5 years, and it was set to 3840 x 2160. All my previous screenshots are those same dimensions as well. I dunno if the most recent system update changed something, but now all my old screenshots are ruined... I manually changed it to 1920 x 1080 and I can view new screenshots, my other ones appear to be stuck at 2160.

That really bums me out because I had a lot of shots I really liked :(

Thanks though, that appears to have been the issue.

Hmmm, actually I still can't view my screenshots. Just black screen. Dunno what the heck the issue is...

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I saw on the Drop that Disgaea 1 Complete comes out in the US.
    The European Playstation Blog isn’t updated of course, so I hope it gets released in Europe too.

I have spent over 100+ hours on the PS3 one, and over +100 hours on the PSP one.

Do I want to buy it again? Um.... Yes :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I saw on the Drop that Disgaea 1 Complete comes out in the US.
    The European Playstation Blog isn’t updated of course, so I hope it gets released in Europe too.

I have spent over 100+ hours on the PS3 one, and over +100 hours on the PSP one.

Do I want to buy it again? Um.... Yes :biggrin:

You may have a problem.
    An item world problem

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I think my launch day PS4 is finally biting it.

Saturday night I was playing games online and after about 4 hours it just shut down. Turning it back on gave me some clicks (didnt sound like hard drive clicks...plus I swapped out the hard drive) and the blue light would come on, then shut off. It was very hot as well.

After some googling people said use compressed air and clean it out. Well I don't have any compressed air...but I have a leaf blower. So I sat that sucker in the garage and leaf blowed it - and it worked!

The next night, same thing - about 4 hours in, it shut down and did the same thing. My wife was asleep so I didnt want to fire up the leaf blower, so I just placed it in front of the air conditioning vent for an hour to cool down. Came back just fine after that.

But I can see this will probably only get worse. Google seems to think its the power supply?

I bought a $15 vertical stand with a fan in it, in hopes that it at least gets me another month use until some Black Friday deals pop up.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow