As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Venture Bros.] Apparently the movie is erasing the existence of the series

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    So after the amazing three parter to end last season start the season, does anyone else feel not a lot happened?
    There was some cool stuff, but it just feels like the show is so serial now it has lost a bit of its old charm.
    Monarch is now level 10, he and Rusty know they're related, Hank is now awol and know's his mother's real name.

It definitely feels like we're missing a big payoff, which is how the last two seasons have felt.

Also
    Jonas was alive almost and his current fate is vague, we learned about Vendata and the good man that Kano killed. Rusty is also a clone.

This season was kinda loaded.
    Yeah, there is definitely a bunch to digest. I don't know, maybe it's the format where they crammed the surprising into the normal (relative to VB universe) versus older seasons where it felt like bits of normal were crammed into the crazy.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    And now we play the waiting game.

It's a boring game. Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos instead.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    One thing I've been really happy to see this season is that the Ventures themselves haven't backslid as people. They keep kind of inching forward towards being better and more functional people. Dean is almost a normal person at this point, and Hank is a loon but in that holy-fool sort of way where the universe just seems to look out for him. And Dr. Venture is still full of rough edges but seems more...put-together than ever before. He hasn't bankrupted VenTech, he seems more engaged in the world around him, and he's had a few legitimate victories now, like shutting down the weather machine and negotiating the new Guild treaty.

Gary and the Monarch are still weirdly hung up on a dubious activity that nobody but them takes very seriously and it's kind of a shame that Gary's stint as a good guy fizzled out, but you still get the sense that they're growing and learning things, at least somewhat. Ironically enough the character who has seemed least dynamic in recent seasons has been Brock; over the first few years he really seemed to be growing out of his mold, but since season 5 it's felt like he's kind of been in neutral gear. Maybe that's just a symptom of Warburton being in such high demand.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Man there was a lot to unpack there. A lot. This season was so much at once.
    -Rusty and the Monarch are confirmed to be relatives probably half brothers
    -Dean and Hank's actual mother has a name now and probably will show up
    -Dean is pretty much a normal fuck up now and has kind of accepted it but also misses and loves Hank
    -Hank feels like he is in neutral as well Hank. At the same time did Dean leave the list? Not sure any of that would really effect Hank.
    -The Monarch and 21 are total bros and are willing to give up arching to stay bros. It was pretty great.
    -Brock is in neutral because Brock's catharsis was a few season back. With the end of Cocktease he found himself. And he is cool with it.
    -Billy and White are like legitimate scientist and doing actual work
    -Doc hasn't destroy everything and actually I think is starting to figure out what he has to do. He also still has his hang ups but I think seeing his Dad might of done something to him.
    -Holy shit the original Dr. Venture was fucking alive this whole time and his crew knew it and never told Rusty.
    -Red Death is a god damn treat
    -Dean is actually pretty smart but not in the super villain like super science bs, dude will make a good like normal researcher or reporter or whatever
    -Hank is totally Doc's son, down to how he reacts to women
    -Rusty is a god damn clone!

And this is just the top of the list. Like this was seriously years of story archs just ended. Questions answered. And most of them were just kind of mundane.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    One thing I've been really happy to see this season is that the Ventures themselves haven't backslid as people. They keep kind of inching forward towards being better and more functional people. Dean is almost a normal person at this point, and Hank is a loon but in that holy-fool sort of way where the universe just seems to look out for him. And Dr. Venture is still full of rough edges but seems more...put-together than ever before. He hasn't bankrupted VenTech, he seems more engaged in the world around him, and he's had a few legitimate victories now, like shutting down the weather machine and negotiating the new Guild treaty.

Gary and the Monarch are still weirdly hung up on a dubious activity that nobody but them takes very seriously and it's kind of a shame that Gary's stint as a good guy fizzled out, but you still get the sense that they're growing and learning things, at least somewhat. Ironically enough the character who has seemed least dynamic in recent seasons has been Brock; over the first few years he really seemed to be growing out of his mold, but since season 5 it's felt like he's kind of been in neutral gear. Maybe that's just a symptom of Warburton being in such high demand.
    Speaking of Brock stagnating, what happened to his thing with Warriana? The wikia-mind seems to think they're still together, but I was hoping for some real development there.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Man there was a lot to unpack there. A lot. This season was so much at once.
    -Rusty and the Monarch are confirmed to be relatives probably half brothers
    -Dean and Hank's actual mother has a name now and probably will show up
    -Dean is pretty much a normal fuck up now and has kind of accepted it but also misses and loves Hank
    -Hank feels like he is in neutral as well Hank. At the same time did Dean leave the list? Not sure any of that would really effect Hank.
    -The Monarch and 21 are total bros and are willing to give up arching to stay bros. It was pretty great.
    -Brock is in neutral because Brock's catharsis was a few season back. With the end of Cocktease he found himself. And he is cool with it.
    -Billy and White are like legitimate scientist and doing actual work
    -Doc hasn't destroy everything and actually I think is starting to figure out what he has to do. He also still has his hang ups but I think seeing his Dad might of done something to him.
    -Holy shit the original Dr. Venture was fucking alive this whole time and his crew knew it and never told Rusty.
    -Red Death is a god damn treat
    -Dean is actually pretty smart but not in the super villain like super science bs, dude will make a good like normal researcher or reporter or whatever
    -Hank is totally Doc's son, down to how he reacts to women
    -Rusty is a god damn clone!

And this is just the top of the list. Like this was seriously years of story archs just ended. Questions answered. And most of them were just kind of mundane.
    Responses to some:
    Since I was right about Malcolm and Rusty being related I have some new ideas.
    1. Hank is Doc's son, but Dean is a clone. Maybe psuedo-fraternal twin clone, but still a clone.
    2. I assume OG Team Venture thought he was dead and were shocked when that thing came on.
    3. Dr. Venture is probably the show's greatest real villian.
    4. Need more Shoreleave.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I thought this show was weak this season, but then Blind Rage sauntered in.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Getting to see Brock be BROCK again was real nice.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Another thing this season kinda forgot:
    Weren't Rusty, Billy and Pete frantically trying to come up with something to enter in some science show or another?

Also this season dropped the whole issue of whether Rusty will flush his inherited company down the toilet.

Then again, it was nice to take a step back from that and give Rusty a few wins.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Getting to see Brock be BROCK again was real nice.

Looking for Hatred's nonexistent counter gun a concession that Brock himself realizes that it's been awhile?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Speaking of Brock stagnating, what happened to his thing with Warriana? The wikia-mind seems to think they're still together, but I was hoping for some real development there.
    VA availability seems the likely culprit there. Kate McKinnon is a busy lady.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Weren't Rusty, Billy and Pete frantically trying to come up with something to enter in some science show or another?

Also this season dropped the whole issue of whether Rusty will flush his inherited company down the toilet.

Then again, it was nice to take a step back from that and give Rusty a few wins.

They did invent something extremely revolutionary that worked! It led to a new type of failure for Rusty though.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

They did invent something extremely revolutionary that worked! It led to a new type of failure for Rusty though.

I think now that hes proved he can do that level of stuff the OSI has a vested interest in keeping the company going.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I think now that hes proved he can do that level of stuff the OSI has a vested interest in keeping the company going.

He also is a signatory/arbitrator to the whole system. I assume that comes with financial backing and stuff.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sorry to bump this thread after so long but I've been playing a slow catch-up of season 7 via the Adult Swim site. I saw the last few episodes of it already, so I've swung back around to the start of the season. The latest episode they allowed for free viewing was Arrears in Science.
    Jesus jumped up Christ, Jonas Venture was a fucking asshole. They'd always done softer leans on "he's not actually that good a person" but he was actually fucked up tremendously with the womanizing.
    As an aside, Red Death is probably my most favorite addition to the regular cast.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Red Death is a fucking treasure. Easily one of the best extended cast. He only works though because of everything that has came before.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The character himself is just amazing and the voice actor pairing is just *chef's kiss* perfection.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm praying he becomes a semi-regular cast member.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Think Tank is another one of my favorites

The name, the art, the execution

Just perfection

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Just perfection
    The misguided belief that Rusty was a super-scientist...

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Just perfection
    The misguided belief that Rusty was a super-scientist...

I mean he is. Just not a super intellect

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The exchange between Billy and Red Mantle when crazy Phantom Limb is talking to inanimate objects always comes right to mind every time I think of this show.

Billy, tied up in a sack: “Why can’t I hear them?”
    Red Mantle: “Because you are SANE

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I also love Red Mantle and Dragoon at the Clue Clown's funeral.

*Clue Clown's body jumps out of the coffin, jack-in-the-box style*
    Red Mantle: "Too soon!"
    Monseñor: "He always said he would have the last laugh."
    Dragoon: "He was always wrong."

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I also love Red Mantle and Dragoon at the Clue Clown's funeral.

*Clue Clown's body jumps out of the coffin, jack-in-the-box style*
    Red Mantle: "Too soon!"
    Monseñor: "He always said he would have the last laugh."
    Dragoon: "He was always wrong."

The gag in the Halloween episode about finding Magic: The Gathering confusing is by far my favorite punchline in the entire series. So subtle and easy to miss, but freakin' hilarious.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Not a quote exactly, but the two sounds that stir *immediate*, sight-unseen, empathetic-understanding from me are the exasperated, heavy sighs of Kif Kroker and Doc

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "He had PP on his belt." God that was a weird episode. Just one more 'til I'm all caught up on the show. I'm glad they found a stride between every episode being its own ridiculous contained thing while also serving a season long plot arc. I like the show going in either direction but both at the same time is pretty great, imo.

• Options
    Sorry to bump the thread again but something was just brought to my attention RE: The Action Man. I'd forgotten. The continuity of this show is astronomical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22-W77cIO0

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sorry to bump the thread again but something was just brought to my attention RE: The Action Man. I'd forgotten. The continuity of this show is astronomical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22-W77cIO0

The interesting thing is those two episodes were released on October 16th, 2004 and August 19th, 2018 so it was hard to tell how much time has passed in-universe, but now we know those two eps are 2 years, 17 days apart. which means it's been about two years between Season 1 and Season 7.

• Options
    A LOT has happened to those people in such a short amount of time. If the boys graduated in season 4, it could be assumed I guess that season 4 is just one year-ish out from season 1 right?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thinking about it in terms of time is a great way to cook your brain. They go from making contemporary pop culture references to Lost to making references to Game of Thrones in the span of like two seasons.

Doc as a Boomer who was a kid during the heyday of mid-60s space-age lounge-lizard chic grows increasingly improbable every year; you can kind of fudge that by saying that he was just stuck in that loop way past its sell-by date, and Jonas was having The Ice Storm-style key parties (a big signpost saying "hey it's the 1970s!"), but even if Doc was a preteen in the 1970s he should probably be pushing 60 by now.

It's comic book sliding timescale, basically, like how we just kind of shuffle our feet and try to forget that Flash Thompson was drafted for Vietnam.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, the kids learned most of what they know from teaching tubes, easy enough to handwave away stuff like that as them getting a compressed dose of contemporary stuff as they close to graduation.

Regardless, I look at the whole thing like the timeline of Archer, which occupies some sort of bizarro modern-age Cold-War-era timeline with perfect human cyborgs and cell phones alongside clunky videophones, space stations, and CRT screens. The only timeline that matters in this case is what happens to the characters.

• Options
    Oh I certainly wouldn't try to make sense of the humor side of the show, particularly with the references they make to real world media and entertainment. It's just fun to see the lore hold up some details or spin those details on their head.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Actually, not to torture the idea, but it does make sense if
    Rusty was also a clone. Cause that would mean he could have died several times before "getting there" so to speak, meaning he could technically be older than he actually is.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Actually, not to torture the idea, but it does make sense if
    Rusty was also a clone. Cause that would mean he could have died several times before "getting there" so to speak, meaning he could technically be older than he actually is.
    Yeah the potential is certainly there. First thing I thought of regarding all that
    is that Jonas Jr was definitely supposed to be the proper clone and Rusty was the freak fucking accident that denied Jonas what he was after (and somehow didn't bother trying to correct). I'm blown away by how much they've been detailing how much of a totally awful person Jonas was.

• Options
    Happy 15th anniversary to this show by the way. August 7th, 2004 was when season 1 premiered (though the pilot was like a year and a half earlier).

Pour one out for Speedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy94x_ukHx4

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Happy 15th anniversary to this show by the way. August 7th, 2004 was when season 1 premiered (though the pilot was like a year and a half earlier).

Pour one out for Speedy.

That's a whole lot of years for 7 seasons.

see317 on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Pour one out for Speedy.

Adult Swim wants their Venture Brothers of good quality at a cheap price. Rule of Production means speed has to sacrificed. Given that I still want to see additional seasons, that might be the right call.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I am so okay with them needing a couple years to roll out every season. The show has been aces the entire time it's been running and is still growing and going places.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Pour one out for Speedy.

The price you pay to avoid "coma" seasons.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I just wish they reran Venture Bros. as much as they rerun Rick & Morty. It'd help with trying to remember everything when the new season starts.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA