Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Ice is a bad defensive type but a good attacking type, like poison has good resistances but poor super effective coverage.

Grass is a problem because it has 5 weaknesses and 7 uneffective attacks, it just sucks at everything. It's only real strength is being 1 of only 3 types that can resist electric.

Bug is fine defensively, but it has a weird amount of uneffective attacks (7) compared to super effective attacks (3). Like, they made it weak vs Fairy despite already being weak against 6 things?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Abomasnow at least has niche use with snow warning. That makes it one of the better ice types imo, but that's not saying much.

We need more lightning fast glass cannon sweeper type ice pokemon and fewer slow defensive bulky ice types that are undermined by their defensive typing. They keep designing ice type pokemon with a glacier mentality instead of an avalanche one.

Maybe throw in some new sweet ice type attacks that AREN'T GIVEN TO WATER TYPES WHATSOEVER GOD DAMN STOP STEALING ICES TOYS

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Make all ice types passively have water absorb

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Abomasnow at least has niche use with snow warning. That makes it one of the better ice types imo, but that's not saying much.

We need more lightning fast glass cannon sweeper type ice pokemon and fewer slow defensive bulky ice types that are undermined by their defensive typing. They keep designing ice type pokemon with a glacier mentality instead of an avalanche one.

Maybe throw in some new sweet ice type attacks that AREN'T GIVEN TO WATER TYPES WHATSOEVER GOD DAMN STOP STEALING ICES TOYS

I mean, we got Slush Rush A-Sandslash and A-Ninetales this Gen. That's pretty good, considering.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    They literally had to pair Ice with the two best defensive types in the game to make decent Pokemon. Not great Pokemon, just decent.

I like the idea of some types being "better" at certain things than others, ie Ice is a frail type that is strong against a lot of things. But it isn't consistent across the game which makes some types objectively better than others, and Pokemon aren't designed with their types strengths in mind often enough, hence the large amount of bulky ice types.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Terrendos wrote: »

I mean, we got Slush Rush A-Sandslash and A-Ninetales this Gen. That's pretty good, considering.

The problem is that the flagship ice attacks are all special attacks and what few speedy ice types that we have are mostly geared towards physical attacks. Sandslash would be better if we had physical equivalents to ice beam and blizzard. Ninetails is cute but it's statline is wholly inadequate. It has too few stats to be so evenly spread about. To be more competitive it would have had to have ditched stats in its attack and defense to further bolster its special attack and speed.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The biggest blow the Ice type took recently was the Fairy type being created. Prior to that, Ice was the only type super effective against Dragons (other than Dragon itself, which doesn't help you solve the problem of what to do when the enemy has a Dragon and you don't). Being a sort of crap type is okay when you own the only good matchup against the best Pokemon in the game. Now that Fairy does the same thing but better, Ice really struggles to justify its spot on a team.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Ice didn't really have a spot on the team anyway because every ice type dies in one hit to the faster, better dragons. You just carried ice moves on non-ice Pokémon for that.

Edit: Excluding Weavile and Mamoswine, of course, who only saw play because of their ability to reliably hit first before their awful defensive typing could do anything.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My Crystal playthrough has slowed down some due to some things going on but I'm still at it. I've gotta say, the rate that wild Pokemon levels are going up seems slow, and as a result the level up process is slow. I have to find very specific pokemon in very specific places / times of day in order to get decent XP per fight. That's kind of a bummer. On the flip side, Gym Leaders have been very harsh. The Ghost one was a stupidly hard fight that was entirely RNG dependent; his Gengar would always hypnosis + dream eater combo my team to death. It was a matter of getting it to sleep first in one of my attempts.

Also unexpected; my Victreebel is stupidly strong. The defenses are middling-to-low, but the attack and special attack (especially the former), holy crap. It beats down everything I come across with mostly one-shots. I managed to get a leaf stone just when my Bellsprout evolved, so it was a double evolution jump and that's probably why the stats are so crazy. Still, even as a Bellsprout, its attack was pretty up there.

Edit - Did I mention I named it AAAAAA?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Been getting the itch to replay one of the gen 6 or 7 games lately, despite there being absolutely no way I could fit that into my gaming schedule in the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll find time in January or so.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ice should resist Water, Flying, and Ground.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Been getting the itch to replay one of the gen 6 or 7 games lately, despite there being absolutely no way I could fit that into my gaming schedule in the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll find time in January or so.

I'm already picking out a team I wanna use in X & Y, send help I don't have time for this

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Since you're asking for help, I recommend Goodra on your team

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

I wish I could agree with this but they really made actually getting to Goodra a right pain in the ass. Dragging Goomy along for as long as you have to before it even evolves once is a slog.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

I'm already picking out a team I wanna use in X & Y, send help I don't have time for this

I've been replaying X and my team is Greninja/Charizard/Roserade/Lucario/Gardevoir/Flygon

Gonna have 3 potential Mega-Evolutions depending on who I'm fighting, and... oh wait, don't you not get the M-Gard stone until after E4?

Oh well.

• Options

I already useed Goodra on my initial playthrough, gonna mix it up a bit and use stuff I haven't used before, or haven't used in a long time, like Snorlax, Clawitzer and Yanmega.

I mean, if I were to replay it, which I'm definitely not gonna do

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I wish I could agree with this but they really made actually getting to Goodra a right pain in the ass. Dragging Goomy along for as long as you have to before it even evolves once is a slog.

Kind of standard for that slot in each gen's roster though.

Goomy's utterly adorable though, so I don't know what the big deal is.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »

Kind of standard for that slot in each gen's roster though.

Goomy's utterly adorable though, so I don't know what the big deal is.

Dratini, Larvitar, and Bagon all evolve ten levels earlier! And the big deal is that Goomy has totally unusable stats for that point in the game. I love Skiddo but I still get really annoyed in the low-30s where I pretty much have to use the exp share to get it to evolve because it just does nothing in battles, and Goomy has that even worse.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AND you can only evolve into Goodra in the rain. But not the rain that you can easily set with a weather user. Gotta be rain-rain. The Dragons are always a pain to train properly, but Goomy was double-difficult, and for no good reason.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    AND you can only evolve into Goodra in the rain. But not the rain that you can easily set with a weather user. Gotta be rain-rain. The Dragons are always a pain to train properly, but Goomy was double-difficult, and for no good reason.

You know what they say, you can't spell 'no good reason' without 'no goodra, son'.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    "No goodra, son e"

• Options
    Oops, I slipped and fell onto my 3DS' power button and accidentally started my digital copy of Y

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Which starter pokémon did you accidentally pick?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Which starter pokémon did you accidentally pick?

I've used all of the starters once before, and since I'm planning on using Clawitzer as my Water type and I'm not a fan of Delphox, I chose Chespin.

I also traded over a Munchlax (holding a Charizardnite X) from my X version. Apparently Snorlax doesn't learn Metronome, and I wanna make things a little more interesting (and random).

Maz- on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    This is a long shot, but would there be anyone who'd like to help me secure two codes for Reshiram and Zekrom? Canada doesn't have Target and it's a Target exclusive.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    This is a long shot, but would there be anyone who'd like to help me secure two codes for Reshiram and Zekrom? Canada doesn't have Target and it's a Target exclusive.

I can prooooobably help you. I went to Target yesterday and they STILL have inch-high piles of Tornadus/Thundurus. I imagine Reshiram/Zekrom will be similar, and I will not be shy about snagging codes once they are available.

On a completely unrelated note, I have like 20 copies of the Tornadus/Thundurus codes, if anyone is interested...

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Me! Me!
    I'll need a pair of them nice Kami <3
    Thanks!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Another "The Two Professors" episode:

https://youtu.be/YOJuzTBIQfE

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also, looks like you'll have to have both Pokémon Go and Pokémon Let's Go in order to capture Meltan:

“Sending Pokémon from Pokémon Go into one of the Nintendo Switch titles will get you certain items in the app, such as Candies for the species of Pokémon you sent,” The Pokémon Company explained. “However, the first time you send a Pokémon, you’ll also be able to get a very special item: a Mystery Box!”
    The Mystery Box, once opened, allows players to find a Meltan in their Pokémon Go games. After battling and capturing it, the item closes itself again; the way to reset it is to again transfer a Pokémon from mobile to console.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Hey Trainers! Get ready for the Spooky Cup!

Competition details are on The Pokemon Global Link but a short summary: use scary Pokemon (mostly Ghost, Psychic, Poison and Dark types, and Pikachu and Eevee) in bring 6 pick 3 Singles matches to determine who is the very best! All participants get a Shiny Mimikyu!

Signups start next Thursday for a competition the weekend Before Halloween, so this gives you plenty of time to prepare.

• Options
    Aww yeah, I'm not gonna miss out on this one. Now where did I leave my sticky web Galvantula?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Well, the first gym battle went really well. I used Munchlax against Vivillon and got Ice Fang, Fire Fang and Flamethrower against it using Metronome all in a row. Of course, I've probably used up all my Metronome luck for the rest of the game and it's gonna be all Selfdestruct and String Shot from here on out.

• Options
    DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular

I manage toys and electronics at a Target. I'll have tons and tons of codes when they come out on Friday. I also still have tons of Tornadus codes that expire on the 29th if anyone needs any.

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Don't forget that i Zerora or whatever his name is at Gamestop starting on the 19th I'll try and get my hands on a few if i can.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I work at a GS and we have plenty, hit me up if you need to

Tairu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh god please I need that silly digimon Zeraora! <3

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I have 11 Zeraora codes for those who need them.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Gym 2 down. My current team is Quilladin, Charmeleon, Tyrunt, Clauncher and Yanma. Decided to ditch Snorlax since I already used him in my previous Nuzlocke run of Y. Also, Yanma is a bitch to train - just a terrible moveset at low levels and I had no good TMs to teach it. My 6th team member is probably gonna be Bisharp, unless I catch some random Shiny or something else strikes my fancy.

Maz- on
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I have 11 Zeraora codes for those who need them.

If you could hold onto one for me, just in case, but I will be going to Gamestop sometime over the weekend I am sure and I would be surprised if I don't walk away with a handful.

• Options
    No problem i'll pull one out and hold onto it for you just in case.

My goal of getting all the trainer stamps is being blocked by super singles i got the stamp for super doubles but i can't quite break the 40-50 barrier in singles.

But on the upside i did get fifty battle factory or whatever it's called the virtual fights in the festival plaza where you use random pokemon and borrowed ones from other people which was a nightmare i mean anytime a random with a high facility rank popped into my festival plaza i pretty much tied them to a chair.
    If you reach Rank 30 you unlock the glasses you wear in the facility as an actual in game accessory