As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's a shame we never got the Odo/Picard Dixon Hill holodeck misadventure we all direly wanted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I love his whole Matlock "oh just one more thing" shtick

Matlock!?

columbo.jpg

I wouldn't be born for another twelve years when that show ended!

THE RERUNS OF COLOMBO STARTED A YEAR BEFORE I WAS BORN. THE RERUNS.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Everyone should watch early Columbos. They're fkn great.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Now watching the Nagus episode

The ferengi makeup is great but I do not give a shit about ferengis you guys

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Unless they are wielding pool noodles of death or cheating at table games I ain't need ferengi subplots

Just a sprinkling of Quark, if you please

So It Goes on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The ones involving rescuing Quark's mom and the one where they time traveled back to 60's Roswell are pretty funny.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Unless they are wielding pool noodles of death or cheating at table games I ain't need ferengi subplots

Hey you gotta also love Wallace Shawn as the Grand Nagus

You know it suddenly occurs to me that the Ferengi have been accused of being a collection of Jewish stereotypes... and then for the head Ferengi they hired the most Jewish actor of all time. I dunno if that helps or hurts Star Trek's case

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

You know it suddenly occurs to me that the Ferengi have been accused of being a collection of Jewish stereotypes... and then for the head Ferengi they hired the most Jewish actor of all time. I dunno if that helps or hurts Star Trek's case

I just keep hearing Bertram.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

Inconceivable!

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

But Rom, though

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

The Ferengi are straight out of a 1930's Nazi propaganda film about Jews... and nearly all the main Ferengis are played by Jewish actors. Make of that what you will I guess.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    DS9 is great aside from all the super tedious religious stuff and a few bad quark episodes. I wish I could watch it for the first time again. TNG too.

Yeah all the Bajoran religious episodes are pretty tedious but DS9 his religion up from all angles. Dominion is basically one big theocracy, Klingon religion is revisited a bunch, hell Quark is really religious.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I for one really enjoyed the nuanced and detailed portrayal of religion in DS9. It's not often that I get to see that part of my identity given sensible treatment in TV, let alone sci-fi.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    re: Season 1 - I think it's a constitutional requirement that long-running Trek series have really wobbly first seasons, but on the other hand season 1 included Duet therefore season 1 is good.
    Now watching the Nagus episode

The ferengi makeup is great but I do not give a shit about ferengis you guys

Ferengi episodes are painful unless you're in a couple of very particular moods at which point they're wonderful.

(One of those moods is "I want Quark to be the universe's chew toy for an hour.")

If I remember correctly one of the reasons he took the role was because he was upset at the scope of the Ferengi-as-space-Jew-caricature cliches TNG had tried to build and wanted to be in a position to tackle them in a more interesting (and less monstrous) way.

• Options
    I think the way Nog turned out is a fucking miracle. The character had nothing going for him, child actor, a minor character, goofy makeup, by all accounts he should have been an embarrassment but man did he turn out great.
    the PTSD arc alone was some of the best DS9 episodes

• Options
    Nog and Rom just get increasingly interesting over the course of the whole series starting pretty much the moment the writers decide they're something other than A Kid Character and Wacky Comic Relief, respectively.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I think the way Nog turned out is a fucking miracle. The character had nothing going for him, child actor, a minor character, goofy makeup, by all accounts he should have been an embarrassment but man did he turn out great.
    the PTSD arc alone was some of the best DS9 episodes

Actually, Aron Eisenberg was in his early 20s when the show started. He had a kidney transplant as a teen which affected his growth. (He's five foot tall.)

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Notice how the most-liked examples of a particular species on Trek are the ones who are generally regarded by their own people as outliers?
    Spock's half-human (did they ever make a big thing about that in TOS? Obviously they did in the reboot), so's Troi, and she gets kind of looked down on for it even by her mother, Worf keeps himself to the Klingon ideal of honor so much that regular Klingons think he's a fool, Quark has the occasional moment of what are regarded by typical Ferengi as unthinkable acts of charity (paid vacation?!), and the rest of his family are even worse by Ferengi standards, and so on.

By the pattern, I'm surprised Kira isn't an atheist.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    If such a concept even exists for them. How can you be an atheist when there is empirical evidence that your gods exist?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If such a concept even exists for them. How can you be an atheist when there is empirical evidence that your gods exist?

This is a universe with alien beings like Q in them. Just because they're powerful doesn't make them beings worthy of following or worshiping.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kira being non religious like Ro would have ruined one of the most entertaining sub-plots, "oh fuck, Jesus is my boss"

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

God-like beings exist, however, then's a difference between beings who are supernatural and who are just powerful cosmic amoeba and/or augmented with technology. Trek mostly has the latter. Apollo was powered by something which is heavily implied to be a machine. Many times we simply don't know enough about how they work to make a call on how they operate. In contrast to a show like The Magicians which explicitly identifies gods as magical creatures.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If any higher beings in the Trek universe could qualify as gods it would be The Prophets.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If any higher beings in the Trek universe could qualify as gods it would be The Prophets.

Aren't the Q on a higher level than them?

• Options
    I mean there's probably the rare Bajoran out there who doesn't care about the Prophets. But they have in general been shown that when it comes to being told that they're just super aliens, they don't care. Kira herself has a really wonderful line regarding it where she says "I know that to you they're the "wormhole aliens", but to me they're gods.".

• Options
    I mean there's probably the rare Bajoran out there who doesn't care about the Prophets. But they have in general been shown that when it comes to being told that they're just super aliens, they don't care. Kira herself has a really wonderful line regarding it where she says "I know that to you they're the "wormhole aliens", but to me they're gods.".

similar to the Dominion- there's no way you can convince them that the Founders aren't gods, no matter what you might say to them

except their approach is wildly different to the Bajorans, which is one of the things I find so fascinating about DS9

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Kira being non religious like Ro would have ruined one of the most entertaining sub-plots, "oh fuck, Jesus is my boss"
    That's a good point.
    Since originally Ro was intended to be there, the central viewpoint Bajoran was going to be another outlier.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    There was that episode about killing them with science radiation, and you're a pretty rubbish god if you can die.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    There was that episode about killing them with science radiation, and you're a pretty rubbish god if you can die.

I think the Ancient Greeks, Romans and Pagans would beg to differ.

• Options
    I dunno, gods used to die to each other pretty easily.
    We really only switched to unkillable gods when we went mono-theistic, as there weren't any spares.

Even then, once God got a sidekick/son, he was totally killable.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

At least they're not like androids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVxsYzXI_Y&frags=pl%2Cwn

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Things human gods are commonly associated with:

Creating life
    Spiritual guidance
    Technological enlightenment
    Power over nature

In the case of the Prophets, being gods to the bajorans and wormhole aliens to everyone else are not mutually exclusive things. The Founders are a little more iffy, but to Jem'hadar and Vorta the argument should not be "your gods are not gods" but rather "your gods are assholes and unworthy of worship".

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    Things human gods are commonly associated with:

Creating life
    Spiritual guidance
    Technological enlightenment
    Power over nature

In the case of the Prophets, being gods to the bajorans and wormhole aliens to everyone else are not mutually exclusive things. The Founders are a little more iffy, but to Jem'hadar and Vorta the argument should not be "your gods are not gods" but rather "your gods are assholes and unworthy of worship".

yeah and that latter argument is what Odo in particular says to them time and time again

I love that Odo of all people has one of the more nuanced explorations of religion. He's a god figure to some, he works for a god figure to others, he falls in love with a deeply devout person who also accepts his lack of belief as valid while also taking the time to explain to him what her faith means to her

it's good stuff

• Options
    Then there's Klingon religion which has no gods because Klingons killed them all for being annoying.

• Options
    Eh, they pretty much elevated Kahless to deity to replace them.

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    About halfway through season 2 of Enterprise. Overall some of the annoyances of season 1 are not as pronounced. I like Tucker more now, mostly because the writers seem to like him and he is more extensively featured and developed than most. It was kind of funny that there were two episodes almost back to back where Tucker crash lands on a planet with the guest star of the week and they have to survive.

Carbon Creek was a highlight. Is T'Pol really that old, or was that supposed to be her ancestor or something? And Cease Fire was a really nice return to form for Star Trek as a diplomatic drama guest starring Jeffrey Calhoun as the Andorian if I am not mistaken.

Vanishing Point was a creepy and enjoyable episode that made good use of the show's time period, with a lot of anxiety about the transporter.

Stigma: so only a small minority of Vulcans have the ability to do mind melds? I did not take this literally considering how prejudiced Vulcans are in this era. They might have overplayed their hand in service of the plot in this one though, the Vulcans mostly come off a little bit too shittily.

Monsieur T on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Eh, they pretty much elevated Kahless to deity to replace them.

Yeah, but Kahless is cool.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I found the Bajoran religious stuff boring and tedious most the time. I zoned out whenever Kira would start going on and on about the prophets. Kai Winn was an excellent villain, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I love it when Worf tells Kira (I think) that the Klingons slew their gods. Like, "We found them to be more trouble than they were worth so we killed them"

• Options
    Monsieur T wrote: »
    Stigma: so only a small minority of Vulcans have the ability to do mind melds? I did not take this literally considering how prejudiced Vulcans are in this era. They might have overplayed their hand in service of the plot in this one though, the Vulcans mostly come off a little bit too shittily.

Stigma was a weird episode. It was written because Viacom required most of its currently-running shows to do Very Special Episodes about HIV, which presumably isn't a thing anymore by the mid-2100s, so they had to shoehorn in an awkward equivalent.

This discussion has been closed.