As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Double tapping movement buttons to dodge is still the best.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Why do you say things just to hurt me basil

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    My wife, someone who looked at the crafting system when she first started playing and went " N O P E, not for me!", Just crafted her final piece of ascended armor.

Her next goal is to craft a legendary weapon.

To be honest, I think GW2 has just about the worst crafting system of any MMO I've played, though I can really only compare it to WoW and FFXIV. Was it a design goal to make leather the most expensive armor type? Why are T4 materials the rarest in game? Was there any sort of thought put into correlating effects with amount and types of components? It's all so slapdash and random.

This is less the crafting system (with which I do have a number of issues separate from the economy) and more the economy around all of it. Remember there was a time where leather was so worthless that people regularly vendored leather drops instead of salvaging it. A.net is not known for a delicate touch when trying to rebalance things though and how they make formerly trashed items more desirable is no different. See Nullification sigils for another example.

A lot of the goals have been admirable like making lower level crafting materials still useful in higher level crafting so that players still leveling could sell something of worth to higher level players and shift some wealth around but other systems end up causing scarcity and headaches, e.g. how it doesn't take much to level past the range of getting some of those items.

Yeah I think this is the issue here. The system itself can be fun, but its so crazy grindy that I won't touch it anymore. I think it's that way because you can convert gold into gems and vice versa. I wish they'd remove that part and let the game economy be entirely based on in-game activities so they could lower the requirements to craft things, especially legendaries. The mat requirements for those are so high that I just laughed at the game and walked away from crafting forever.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    After playing MMOs pretty much since they started, I continue to be super happy with how rearding it is to login to GW2 and just do some gathering. I'm not building a legendary or trying to get gold or even really moving towards any goal. I'm just mounting/gliding about aimlessly in zones I like ripping ore, herbs, and trees out of the ground, and after a week of shitty adult work, it is DEEPLY relaxing.

I think the only thing I could use is a more of a rare harvest strike. I still remember harvesting in EQ2 and getting that DING sound when you hit a rare material from a gathering spot. Very satisfying. =P

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'll definitely give it to GW2 that its core feedback loop is the best of any MMO I've played. On the other hand, because most gameplay gives about the same kinds of rewards regardless of difficulty (with some exceptions) I don't particularly get that same accomplishment when I do something difficult as I do from playing WoW or FFXIV. And without some particular goal to work for like a legendary I often end a session bored and unfulfilled. Lately I just log in to get the nightly Teq and sometimes the dailies done and it feels a lot like a chore. This return may end up being a short one.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Apparently, you can now swap Sigils out of Legendary Weapons. I have not been able to confirm or deny this, and it wasn't in the patch notes, but folk are saying it's a thing.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    Apparently, you can now swap Sigils out of Legendary Weapons. I have not been able to confirm or deny this, and it wasn't in the patch notes, but folk are saying it's a thing.

It's a thing! Just checked :) Going to be nicer for my bifrost rather than leaving some generic sigils in for all the builds I've got using it!

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Free Revive orb, title and 0 AP achi for logging in right now in support of Extra Life.

Full stream details here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/our-24-hour-extra-life-stream-begins-tomorrow/ Lots of buffs if they reach goal!

Leandriell on
  • Options
    Finally broken down and finished the Griff and Roller this weekend (well, I finished the saddle - I think that's the last or close to last step). I'd avoided doing the Griff just because of the cost (I don't really do gold farms and have a pretty negligible gold income when I play), but I ended up getting one of the halloween skins for it and thought it'd be neat, so that happened.

I'm just about done with the LS4 stories, so now I need to figure out what to do next. Normally I've deleted and recreated my character and started from level 1 by now, but I'm really enjoying this one, so we'll see how far I take it. I looked at crafting ascended weapons, and I definitely need to build up some cash first. I've got about 20 days of tailoring ascended mats made, but I'll need to catch up on spiritwood plank parts. I think the first experiment will be to build a magi's coat or weapon, convert it to viper's with an exotic insig, and see how much all that cost to do.

The nice part is I really haven't ever done fractals, so I don't really need the armor right now. The weapons would be a nice boost, though.

• Options
    Theres a lot of ways to get ascended weapons now. I'd suggest doing your class specialization weapon, or if you're not doing the expansion specs maybe a different class specialization for a weapon you'd use. I love all the specialization collections, they were pretty fun to do.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Thanks, I hadn't considered working on Veilrender then either stat swapping it (if that's possible) or just picking Rampager's or Rabid depending on my expertise cap.

On a side note I just got a mail with 66 vials of karma and some kind of tonic and I have no idea why, but it looks legit.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Thanks, I hadn't considered working on Veilrender then either stat swapping it (if that's possible) or just picking Rampager's or Rabid depending on my expertise cap.

On a side note I just got a mail with 66 vials of karma and some kind of tonic and I have no idea why, but it looks legit.

According to the wiki:
    Players were mailed the tonic along with 66 Thimbles of Liquid Karma starting at 10:00 a.m. PST on November 5th for participating in the Extra Life event.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Huh, I was thinking about dragging some friends back in to mess with conquest, only to find out that's not a thing anymore.

It's super weird to me that the competitive modes of team play games like this or various MOBAs center around solo queuing.

Its like Blizzard deciding you're only allowed to solo queue for mythic raiding in WoW.

I guess I'm the weirdo, though, since that's what everyone seems to expect and want.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/november-13-salvage-runes-and-sigils/

N E A T

*edit* Yes, Nullification runes will be getting a recipe. SELL THEM *NOW*.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Dear god. Finally.

Did the asshole who insisted sigils were their awesome babies who should never be sullied by the grinder get fired or shot?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Ok, so who wants to teach me how to Mesmer?

I'm still a lowbie (15 I think) and I've tried a bunch of different weapon combos but I haven't found the right one, if that makes sense.

Spamming 1 was fine for the low levels but it's getting increasingly harder to take mobs down and I just don't quite get it.

Learn me good, please.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Ok, so who wants to teach me how to Mesmer?

I'm still a lowbie (15 I think) and I've tried a bunch of different weapon combos but I haven't found the right one, if that makes sense.

Spamming 1 was fine for the low levels but it's getting increasingly harder to take mobs down and I just don't quite get it.

Learn me good, please.

1) Put a sword in the main hand.
    2) Put another sword or a focus on the offhand.
    3) Hit a mob. Occasionally press 2 or whatever phantasm your offhand weapon conjures if the mob isn't dying fast enough. Sword 2, sword phantasm, and focus phantasm are your best burst damage weapon attacks. The offhand sword block and riposte is also decent damage when it goes off. Sword 3's clone can quickly power an F1 too. Remember that you count as a clone for your shatters so stay close to the target of your F1 for extra damage.

If you really need to attack at range, greatsword is your best bet while leveling. Avoid condition weapons (staff, scepter, torch) for now. Mesmer can be a bit rough leveling as its autoattacks are weaker than other classes so it's often a case of spreading out the use of your higher burst abilities when leveling.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hmm, I wonder if Tempest truly is 25% duration for 6/6. That'd be a nice switch.

Speaking of, am I missing sigil of malice for 10% duration? I hope it didn't go bye bye. Mirage needs moar torment!

• Options
    Hey, who wants to farm Pawaladan with me for lots and lots of those nice new sigil crafting mats?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Is that the raid? I tried googling, and could only really grok the top level of what's going on.

I ask because my wife might be interested. She GW2's much harder than I do.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    It’s the Istan meta event

• Options
    Yeesh, tempest runes really shot up in cost. Apparently tormenting is just plain broken for mesmer/mirage right now, too. Some of these rune changes are great, but wow the market is gonna be weird for a while.

• Options
    Yeesh, tempest runes really shot up in cost. Apparently tormenting is just plain broken for mesmer/mirage right now, too. Some of these rune changes are great, but wow the market is gonna be weird for a while.

Some of the recipes are baffling, too. 5 Azurite Orbs for Hoelbrak? Maguuma Lilies and Freshwater Pearls? Like, jeez, Anet, have them ALL take 500,000 Flax while you're at it.

So many of these recent updates feel like monkey's paw shit. "Oh look you can salvage runes now and craft 'em! ... but THE RECIPE COSTS WILL FAR OUTSTRIP THE ACTUAL UTILITY OF THE RUNES"

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    So I'm finally looking to get back into playing after not playing for like...4/5 years because I'm feeling the MMO itch but am scared of going back to WoW. I saw the deal for the two expansions, so I decided to pick up both. I'm actually really enjoying it, but it definitely feels a bit convoluted compared to what I remember. I've mostly just been leveling and what not but I have a character getting to level 80 soon. What do you guys mostly do for the endgame stuff?

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    devCharles wrote: »
    So I'm finally looking to get back into playing after not playing for like...4/5 years because I'm feeling the MMO itch but am scared of going back to WoW. I saw the deal for the two expansions, so I decided to pick up both. I'm actually really enjoying it, but it definitely feels a bit convoluted compared to what I remember. I've mostly just been leveling and what not but I have a character getting to level 80 soon. What do you guys mostly do for the endgame stuff?

Fashion.

With no increasing gear levels once you get kitted out in the max stat gear of the stat distribution appropriate for the character/build most of the focus becomes on new skins for fashion.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    devCharles wrote: »

Yup, cosmetics are big for a lot of people.

I gather, craft, and do open world content in a drop in/drop out kinda way myself. GW2 is great as a full-featured MMO that you select only a sliver of. You don't have to eat every item on the buffet to feel satisfied (but you can).

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    GW2 end game is fun if you can set goals or enjoy wandering, but definitely don’t expect a clear path in PvE like in WoW (leveling + dungeons to heroic dungeons to LFR to raiding with a guild).

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Some of the recipes are baffling, too. 5 Azurite Orbs for Hoelbrak? Maguuma Lilies and Freshwater Pearls? Like, jeez, Anet, have them ALL take 500,000 Flax while you're at it.

So many of these recent updates feel like monkey's paw shit. "Oh look you can salvage runes now and craft 'em! ... but THE RECIPE COSTS WILL FAR OUTSTRIP THE ACTUAL UTILITY OF THE RUNES"
    They need gold sinks to prevent the economy getting worse, these are decent ones honestly.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Sanctuary runes have been a lot of fun. Every source of incoming healing gives you 20% barrier so the 6 piece bonus is essentially all heals on you are 20% better.

There was a bug with how it interacted with a scourge trait, abrasive grit, which gave players might and removed a condition for every application of barrier. Neither the rune nor the trait had an internal cooldown so anyone with the rune set near a scourge received 25 stacks of might instantly and never got conditions on them.

Anyways, ANet added a 5 second cooldown. To the scourge trait. So probably avoid reddit for a few days lest ye be drowned in necro balance memes.

(Also it was a really dumb nerf, support scourge isn't going to manage the cooldown, and it's what brings their Condi cleanse at par with other support classes so wtf ANet)

• Options
    Lovin' the Tempest runes: 99.73 condi duration with partial ascy viper's armor and full viper's trinkets and one viper's weapon. I figure if I can get a viper's pistol for my offhand, I can probably start cutting back on expertise other places or even claim that signet slot for something more fun.

Next stop is to build a Power Chrono suit so I can swap back and forth between playstyles, so I don't burn out on the profession, which has happened to me a lot.

Heck, I might even start trying Fractals with all this glowy pink gear. I've always been kind of afraid of structured group content in this game (that isn't mindless zerg stuff, which I find kinda relaxing honestly), but I know I'm just murdering stuff with my current setup, so it'd be fun to see it in action.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My wife and I are planning to get back in to this. We’re probably starting new characters. Is there any benefit to getting the expansions if we’re just starting over?

• Options
    The Mounts in POF are *LIFE* - I can't stress it enough. They repaint the entire game experience. I really recommend starting there.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That seems like a lot of money to pay for a mount

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    But it's not just mounts, there's months worth of content as well.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Or you could hold off on the expansions until you see if you like it enough to stick around. /shrug

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The mounts make the older game much, much easier and faster to get around in. They aren't just a speed boost, but give you new directions you can move, safer falling, the ability to bypass gaps and enemies, and a decent attack when you enter combat. They're not required to enjoy the old game by any means, but the difference is whoa.

• Options
    I'd see if Anet do anything for Black Friday sales regarding buying expansions. I'd be tempted to go into PoF's first mission with your old character, try and ignore the story (play with sound off maybe?), unlock your mount in that first story episode, then start your new character complete with Raptor. You can then work your way through the core story with the added advantage of a mount (Mounts in orr for example make the undead hordes a lot less hassle as you raptor-on by), and then through to HoT if you wanted (story/HoT masteries and HoT character specialisations) and PoF.