As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Kind of [Podcast] Do You Like?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Monopoly For Millenials should replace the chance cards with news articles about why all Millenials are lazy shiftless idiots

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    It actually does have one neat thing*, in that you have both money and "experience tokens" because you aren't really buying property, you're paying to hang out or visit "destinations." Whenever you buy a place, you get the experience points listed on the card, and when someone lands on one of your spots they have to pay you and you both get a token since you're both hanging out at that location or doing something together. The tokens have a point value on one side that you keep hidden from everyone else, at the end of the game the winner isn't who has the most cash but who earned the most experience through their tokens and destinations.
    It's too bad it's wrapped up in, well, everything else.

*Oh also you determine who goes first by who has the most student debt :rotate:

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Those are.... not terrible changes!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    monopoly is a big box, and it's cheap

you want to get a board game and you're like oh hey monopoly i know monopoly, nad it's just 20$! that's like two generic action figures for little jimmy and this will let him be social with his maw and paw!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    yeah thinking about it some more that has to be why it moves product

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    singing podcast
    It's interesting to see which more classic board games get fancier reskins. Risk almost always does something weird when they do a licensed version. The Harry Potter Clues have rotating secret passages and spells on top of the base game, but I think most other versions of it just get themed cards and no extra special stuff.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    monopoly is a big box, and it's cheap

you want to get a board game and you're like oh hey monopoly i know monopoly, nad it's just 20$! that's like two generic action figures for little jimmy and this will let him be social with his maw and paw!

Psh everyone knows that the best board game to buy anyone is Twilight Imperium

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Buy everyone you know a copy of Diplomacy because you're a bad person

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    tbwyfr8ypcng.jpeg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)
    That's every version of Monopoly tho

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    That's every version of Monopoly tho

Yeah. If you're not playing as the banker and skimming some off the top you're not doing it right

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    has anyone ever tried a monopoly legacy yet? get you a proletariat uprising at some point in games 4 - 7 which executes the wealthiest landlords and redistributes their wealth

(game 9 is when the saiyans show up)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hot take Monopoly is a terrible fucking game just from a pure design standpoint

and considering it was originally designed as a satire of capitalism and the flip-the-board ending was the point all along, good job, sorry companies stole your game from you

sig.gif
  • Options
    sir you've served me an ice cream of a take

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    it was a satirical hot take wait what Hasbro no please don't steal it from me and make billions off of it selling it as a genuine hot take noooo

sig.gif
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Any time I fall into the trap of playing monopoly I invariably become an insty-philanthropist around three hours into the game and donate all my money and properties to the center of the board to be claimed by the next person who lands on free parking. Just to be able to leave.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hot take Monopoly is a terrible fucking game just from a pure design standpoint

and considering it was originally designed as a satire of capitalism and the flip-the-board ending was the point all along, good job, sorry companies stole your game from you

you can't just, like, say shit about monopoly! it isn't eligible for your debased "GOTY" deliberations, gamer

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Any time I fall into the trap of playing monopoly I invariably become an insty-philanthropist around three hours into the game and donate all my money and properties to the center of the board to be claimed by the next person who lands on free parking. Just to be able to leave.

The free parking house rules themselves only serve to prolong the game though I sympathize with wanting to leave the table.

The thing is the only way to have anything approaching a good time with Monopoly is to stick to the rules like a damn lawyer and not let anybody put cash in the middle or get 400 for landing on Go and INSIST on an auction anytime someone declines or can't buy a property but nobody who wants to play Monopoly wants to play it that way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    also the most efficient way to actually win is to create a housing crisis by putting 4 houses on everything you can and refusing to ever upgrade to hotels because by the rules you can't put a house down if there are none left in the box and you can't skip straight to a hotel even if you pay 250 to 1,000 in one go

you're gonna say that's playing like an absolute dick and I'll respond yes Monopoly is a bad game

sig.gif
  • Options
    it was a satirical hot take wait what Hasbro no please don't steal it from me and make billions off of it selling it as a genuine hot take noooo

lx6cct30yiao.jpg

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    oh not to mention how it's actually way better to calculate your 10% for income tax for MOST of a game which means everybody around the table will for sure hate you for counting all your money and property values every single time you land on it instead of paying 200

that's right, in Monopoly, just like real life, taxes are complicated on purpose

I think I'm done ranting now

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Getting turned into an Edition of monopoly is like the new version of shrinking and turning into a corn cob right?

• Options
    i think the michael bay transformers movies are pretty bad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i eat the whole plate

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    i eat the whole plate

this reminds me of just how good of a beakdown The Whole Plate video series by Lindsay Ellis is, both because she's great at making academic film crit palatable in a 10-15 minute format and also because she's a bona-fide Transformers fan so she has a bit more leverage for making dunks than the easy cheap takes on those films

it's also a pretty grand takedown of Bay as auteur in general

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Even at its best Monopoly isn't a GREAT game but people absolutely ruin it with house rules that drag it out

• Options
    The Game Boy version of Monopoly was good because I could take over CPU players at any point and have them just give me their properties or bid nothing on them so I could have everything.

Y'know just like real life

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I play a lot of board games with more modern designs but I usually really don't get down on board game nerds calling the classics bad because they don't have the same design principles

But monopoly is not a very fun game

The correct rules make it less bad but its still not very good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Therapy Podcasts Where the Host is Pretty Fucked Up
    *huff huff huff*

MORE LIKE MONOTONY!!!!

*huff* got here as fast as I could

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I think this same stuff comes up literally any time anyone brings up Monopoly.

Which makes me wonder why people are bringing up Monopoly. None of us like it, we all know none of us like it, what's the point?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The times I've played Monopoly I always recall that whoever got an early lead basically couldn't be caught up to, so everyone had to suffer through the rest of a very long game knowing it was all futile

Edit: which is capitalism I guess!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options

Which makes me wonder why people are bringing up Monopoly. None of us like it, we all know none of us like it, what's the point?

This is also capitalism

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I've been told modern editions of monopoly add an extra optional thing called a speed die that makes the game better, but I was told this by a self-described monopoly apologist, so grain of salt

• Options

Sometimes its fun to shit-talk a bad thing on which there is essentially total concensus

Its nice to blow off some steam at a thing that unequivocally bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Therapy Podcasts Where the Host is Pretty Fucked Up
    I have had to come to terms and be honest with myself that I just don’t like board games. I want to like board games, but I end up zoning out by an hour and a half.

Or it’s Settlers of Catan and I have to deal with some dark truths about myself in the end

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    @Theodore Floosevelt I like the font choice for your Simben Monopoly edition

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Sometimes its fun to shit-talk a bad thing on which there is essentially total concensus

like power rangers!

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I have had to come to terms and be honest with myself that I just don’t like board games. I want to like board games, but I end up zoning out by an hour and a half.

Or it’s Settlers of Catan and I have to deal with some dark truths about myself in the end

There are lots of shorter games! If you think you'd want to give those a shot
    What ideas or concepts of board games do you like, if game length wasn't an obstacle?

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

Gus there are a lot of fun board games that take like, 20 minutes

Check out something like Sushi Go Party or Kingdomino (Bonus: these types of games also only cost like 15 dollars)

• Options

I dunno, replaying the same complaints that were made last month and a few months before that and a few months before that etc etc doesn't really feel like catharsis to me

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.