As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that Rakdos legendary has the most boring name in the history of MTG to go along with a badass title.

Have y'all met Karen, Who Fulminates the Cosmos or Steven, Bereft of Limits?

I'm like 85% positive those are Keyforge archons.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Ugh. Arena crapping out like crazy on me today. Lost 2 draft matches because of it.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm having internet issues on my end AND Arena is playing up so no Magic for me today. Thing actually locked up on me at one point.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that Rakdos legendary has the most boring name in the history of MTG to go along with a badass title.

Have y'all met Karen, Who Fulminates the Cosmos or Steven, Bereft of Limits?

I'm like 85% positive those are Keyforge archons.

Honestly that was the naming convention I was aiming at.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That seems like a pretty bad card you could build a really funny deck around

RGU control with 4 Amplifire and 4 Ghalta

If Belzenlok was Creature cards instead of Nonland, you could probably get away with some real stupid shit there too

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Huh... making it trigger on upkeep instead of beginning of combat means it’s impossible to give it haste for a big surprise attack.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    b26nwx6t5qaa.jpeg
    Interesting. It’s a good value for 4 mana, but no lifelink really limits its value. Doesn’t exactly feel mythic.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Amplifier also has the issue of being a creature that wants you running big beaters that also pitches your big beaters to the bottom of your library. That's pretty big tension even if you're just running this in a midrange deck

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    b26nwx6t5qaa.jpeg
    Interesting. It’s a good value for 4 mana, but no lifelink really limits its value. Doesn’t exactly feel mythic.

I think its fine at mythic; I'd certainly be excited to pull one, though it isn't insanely splashy.

Still, between vigilance to let midrange have game against aggro, deathtouch for midrange mirrors, and afterlife for value against control this looks like at minimum the premier "I'm in Orzhov and need a four drop" card.

Also, while it's probably bad, Mardu Angels is now the format's Tammiest tribal deck.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    amplifire + gigantosaurus + thud. there i solved it

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    b26nwx6t5qaa.jpeg

I think its fine at mythic; I'd certainly be excited to pull one, though it isn't insanely splashy.

Still, between vigilance to let midrange have game against aggro, deathtouch for midrange mirrors, and afterlife for value against control this looks like at minimum the premier "I'm in Orzhov and need a four drop" card.

Also, while it's probably bad, Mardu Angels is now the format's Tammiest tribal deck.

Almost certainly mythic for limited balance reasons. This thing will be miserable to play against when your removal options are sub-par, especially since you need to kill three creatures (if you can't exile/counter the first) to completely contain it.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    e2S8EV5IkIuupQSlAxSodSqBnqc2n7gT-dMiMhi6UyU.png?auto=webp&s=1657ef755c084ac3f89ad427bf65363f9ceb834f
    that... is a lot of different modes

Six mana in two colors is a lot to ask, but a 5/6 or hasty Flametongue Kavu might be worth it?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    He's a big fat azcanta killer. I like it, if it can hit the board.

I kind wish they'd made it 5/6 so it could riot and kill doom whisperer.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    He's a big fat azcanta killer. I like it, if it can hit the board.

I kind wish they'd made it 5/6 so it could riot and kill doom whisperer.

yeah that was my thought, although if you're playing green you have a few other options to kill Whisperer like Vivien. As a 4/5 rioter he can at least kill Lyra, or Niv-Mizzet without giving them a card.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    3bac51e3-171a-41be-969b-caa95113410f.pngb36c742d-1d32-47aa-9aab-6ebb74a5c92e.png

edit: oooh I get it, the demon turns on Spectacle during your turn

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh, hey.

Double black in my deck isn't easy, so might need to mess with the manabase.

Dv_gtR2X0AEzbbx.jpg

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Precognitive Perception is damn solid. I can see running 1-2 and 1-2 Chemister's Insight

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PP with Teferi is disgusting. Dig seven cards deep and draw four, and get to untap for counters.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I hate when they make 4 of playable Mythic. it just goes against the entire point of mythic rarity.
    I guess at Rare there's too much chance it'll mess up drafts? I dunno.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    fu7cmy4lh2lo.jpeg
    Oh hai Stormbreath/Glorybringer

teysakarlov2.jpg
    My aristocrats sense is tingling

bolracclancrusher.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just beat one of those mill decks by top decking assassin's totem and destroying his last copy of the psychic corrosion then he rage quit. So satisfying given he was one of those players who uses all available timeouts to try to piss you off into conceding. I had 7 undergrowth too and if I had topdecked a ryzome lurcher he'd also be dead.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    xd6vvrvbtw25.jpg

The Deploy half of this card seems pretty good?

• Options
    ncf47817f8821.gif

ELF CRAB WARRIOR

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    tumblr_pkrknfZWMf1rsid3vo1_500.png
    ...hmmmm okay.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I like the wurm and the spectacle demon

Meh on the rest

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Thopter deck baybe!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    ...hmmmm okay.

who wrote this flavor text. i need answers here

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    ...hmmmm okay.

Hey, hey.

This lets you slam nexus T5. T4 with growth spiral.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    ...hmmmm okay.

Hey, hey.

ok but then what do you do

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ...hmmmm okay.

Hey, hey.

ok but then what do you do

Run Teferi, be bant control, do fun stuff? Probably greedy, definitely awesome

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    My sapro deck consistently can hit 10-12 mana on turn 4, question becomes is taking their entire board worth more than just swinging with a bajillion indestructible sapro's the turn after

No it can't.

E: There are a number of paths there, but they're all pretty unlikely; you either need three saproling creation spells and a song of Freyalise (one of which must be a Saproling MIgration), or you need a Llanowar Elves + two Saproling Spells + one other cheap creature + song of Freyalise, and you need to face no disruption. All of these paths are four card combos, which is pretty ridiculous to assume even if you assume that you've basically got twenty hits for the right kind of creature and four songs in your deck.

E2: To look at it another way, the odds of just having Song of Freyalise in 9 cards (by T3 on the draw) is about 50%. Then you need to have 4 lands and spells that can cheaply put 6 creatures on the board.

Ok cool. Glad you missing multiple cards that allow this , but still replied in the goosiest way possible.

Edit: every time and consistent have different meanings as well

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    "Consistent" in Magic is not sub-50% if you're goldfishing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Rakdos's art is always fucking rad. Or an album cover. Or both.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Eyeroll. Ok there chief. Glad you've played my deck instead of judging via first netdeck you could find.

Goose on someone else.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Eyeroll. Ok there chief. Glad you've played my deck instead of judging via first netdeck you could find.

Goose on someone else.

Song of Freyalise is the only way to get 10 mana by turn 4, and if you run four copies it's barely a 50% chance to have a copy in your hand by T3 on the draw. It doesn't matter what your deck is at that point, any path to 10 mana runs through a single card.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    pestilentspirit.jpgendrazeforerunners.jpgprimespeakervannifar.jpg

Birthing Pod on a stick, new Hoof? What is this, fixed Modern?

This discussion has been closed.