Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Sometimes you gotta swoop in and measure the dicks of random strangers, that's just how colonialism rolls

or it’s just tuesday

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think that dick length is the tie-breaker in phrenology.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A new species has been discovered in the United States, the largest found in its territory in over a century.

image_6694_1-Reticulated-Siren.jpg

Meet the reticulated siren (Siren reticulata). Can grow as long as your arm, has no hind legs, and they make their residence in the Florida panhandle swamps. They had a reputation of being a sort of cryptid, but no one went out actively searching for them until recently.

Nothing else to add. It's just cool is all.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    They found a cryptid?

Off to the Conspiracy Theory thread to reaffirm that Bigfoot and Loch Ness exists!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    IT'S AN XTRALARGEALOTL

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    IT'S AN XTRALARGEALOTL

It is, to be frank, a lotta alotl.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They found a cryptid?

Off to the Conspiracy Theory thread to reaffirm that Bigfoot and Loch Ness exists!

What? No. It's not a cryptid if it has a proper Latin name and all. That's just an ordinary animal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    They found a cryptid?

What? No. It's not a cryptid if it has a proper Latin name and all. That's just an ordinary animal.

What? A cryptid is just an animal people mythologize to exist.

If they find one then they give it a latin name like any other animal. That doesn’t mean it was never a cryptid. Latin names aren’t inherent features of animals

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    They found a cryptid?

What? A cryptid is just an animal people mythologize to exist.

If they find one then they give it a latin name like any other animal. That doesn’t mean it was never a cryptid. Latin names aren’t inherent features of animals

It's not a cryptid if it actually exists. Clearly, they found an animal that strongly resembles a known cryptid that totally exists and is different.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    That’s a noodle

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Technically a cryptid can also describe an animal previously unknown to scientists that has yet to receive a classification, or animals thought to be extinct that still exist in the wild like the ceolocanth and (allegedly) the Tasmanian tiger, though the latter has no confirmed evidence despite numerous sightings.

• Options
    It was a joke!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The true cryptid was humor.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is this the correct thread for this? Scientists have developed a shrink ray. They can shrink things 1 000th scale or something. This is amazing right? Or is it overblown.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/17/us/mit-nanosize-technology-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/?no-st=9999999999

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is this the correct thread for this? Scientists have developed a shrink ray. They can shrink things 1 000th scale or something. This is amazing right? Or is it overblown.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/17/us/mit-nanosize-technology-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/?no-st=9999999999

Think of a cube made entirely of springs.
    Lazer activated springs.
    This tech attaches molecules to the expanded cube with the laser and then the springs are retracted, shrinking the space between the things you have attached to the cube.
    So you build a larger structure onto the cube and then shrink that structure down.

It's not able to shrink anything that's connected to itself apart from through the cube, but it can still make very small things reliably.

Or at least this is my understanding of it

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's not really a shrink ray as much as it is Shrinky Dinks for nerds. Draw a picture in some gel with a laser, sprinkle on some expensive science glitter, bake down to desired size.

Dunno how useful a process it actually is. To go with the springs idea, I guess you could theoretically make something like synthetic muscle this way; actual muscle is nothing but layers and layers of a very simple structure, so something like this could theoretically make something similar while avoiding the traditional issues of assembling a bunch of microscopic units or the inevitable issue of yields when making small objects.

• Options
    I read like 3 articles on it and couldn't figure it out so I posted here hoping people would put it in simpler terms.

They talk like it's a big deal and can result in advancements of nanotechnology but it seemed really limited.

• Options
    I read like 3 articles on it and couldn't figure it out so I posted here hoping people would put it in simpler terms.

They talk like it's a big deal and can result in advancements of nanotechnology but it seemed really limited.

I think it depends on whether the scaffolding can be removed afterwards, leaving the 'shrunk' structure as a complete piece of nanomachinery or what have you.
    Or whether a scaffold with bits stuck on is, in itself, useful.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

If I understand it correctly it's a potentially huge thing for nanotech because up until now nanotech hasn't been so much tiny robutts as it's been funky chemistry with crossed fingers. I think it's waaaaay too early to be even implying that though.

None of the articles I've seen on it have much more to offer than "Could be revolutionary and change the entire world!" but, ya know, science reporting.

• Options
    At the very least, it seems to me to be more likely able to produce new catalysts than that d20 from a while ago.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Anyone see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/21/mars-express-beams-back-images-of-ice-filled-korolev-crater

Frozen lake on Mars discovered. Not liquid, so unlikely to contain life, but it's not on the poles, so still pretty exciting I think.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Anyone see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/21/mars-express-beams-back-images-of-ice-filled-korolev-crater

Frozen lake on Mars discovered. Not liquid, so unlikely to contain life, but it's not on the poles, so still pretty exciting I think.

Because it's not on the poles, does this mean more than the frozen water we've found on the planet already?

Also, I thought we found traces of former microbiological life in the past. Or was it just a theory that since water is there/once existed, there would have been?

It's really cool but I feel like I'm misremembering past findings or just not understanding how big a leap this is from past findings.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    We found substances that could be created by life, but could also be created by a number of nonbiological processes, several of which Mars has ideal conditions and necessary precursors for.

Basically, it's a matter of the old game, "What NASA Says/What The Article Says NASA Said."

• Options
    There was also that Martian meteor from several years ago which some people went on a rampage for cause they thought it had fossilized bacteria in it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    There was also that Martian meteor from several years ago which some people went on a rampage for cause they thought it had fossilized bacteria in it.

Spoiler alert: it didn't.

There was a second one around the same time with a particular hydrocarbon in it that can be created by burning organisms (it was literally the same stuff you can never scrape off your grill no matter how much you try) That was another case where chemical processes that Mars is conducive to can also create them. You'd expect to find them in a Mars sample with or without life, so they don't give any evidence either way on their own.

Edit: there was a third more recently that Chandra Wickramasinghe claimed had diatoms on it. The media keeps reporting this guy's stuff, but in this case the rock wasn't from Mars, wasn't a meteorite at all, and the diatoms were locally abundant species and limited to dirt on the rock. Basically, exactly what you'd expect from a rock you picked up off the ground.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Anyone see this?

Because it's not on the poles, does this mean more than the frozen water we've found on the planet already?

Also, I thought we found traces of former microbiological life in the past. Or was it just a theory that since water is there/once existed, there would have been?

It's really cool but I feel like I'm misremembering past findings or just not understanding how big a leap this is from past findings.

There were some rocks on Mars that one of the rovers found in what was clearly a former pond that looked exactly like what fossils of microbial mats look like (there's a particular kind of layering/rippling effect), but it's also possible they were formed by other processes, and the rovers didn't have the tools to be able to confirm the origins. There was no big announcement about it since they couldn't do much about it and all it would do is make people mad.

• Options
    Anyone see this?

It means that water may be more abundant on modern Mars than previously thought, which gives a boost to the possibility of future human visitation.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Anyone see this?

There were some rocks on Mars that one of the rovers found in what was clearly a former pond that looked exactly like what fossils of microbial mats look like (there's a particular kind of layering/rippling effect), but it's also possible they were formed by other processes, and the rovers didn't have the tools to be able to confirm the origins. There was no big announcement about it since they couldn't do much about it and all it would do is make people mad.

I believe what you are thinking of is called a stromatolite. They can look exactly like a metamorphosed rock that underwent some wild folding, so it takes testing to and proving the area was a shallow sea at the time of the fossil creation to confirm them.

Considering Mars isn't believed to have undergone much if any plate tectonics it's possible those were stromatolites, or at least martian version of them, and we will not have a way to prove it for a long time.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Anyone see this?

It means that water may be more abundant on modern Mars than previously thought, which gives a boost to the possibility of future human visitation.

Oh no we know where this goes dammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHTH7VlrNs

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    There's also the aspect of maybe leaving people alone who've made it more than clear that they wish to be left the fuck alone.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Anyone see this?

If there's substantial amounts of free (ie: not chemically bound) water, then that's a HUGE boost to the possibility. I'm not talking "Green Mars" type outcomes, but it makes a lot of stuff a lot easier.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ice tunnels would also make pretty good living structures. Water Ice is particularly effective at absorbing the worst cosmic rays that would normally be deflected by earth's field. I'm picturing structures akin to double wall vacuum insulated thermoses. The outer wall bring water ice and the inner wall being cheap, locally sourced steel.

• Options
    It's interesting that in all the imaginings of oceans on Mars, no one quite thought we'd be living under them.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Ice tunnels would also make pretty good living structures. Water Ice is particularly effective at absorbing the worst cosmic rays that would normally be deflected by earth's field. I'm picturing structures akin to double wall vacuum insulated thermoses. The outer wall bring water ice and the inner wall being cheap, locally sourced steel.

I'm sort of wondering how hard it would be to just drill out caverns and reinforce them. There's something really attractive about cubic miles to build inside, if you want population centers.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

I'm sort of wondering how hard it would be to just drill out caverns and reinforce them. There's something really attractive about cubic miles to build inside, if you want population centers.

IIRC this is pretty much the whole point of Elon's The Boring Company.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm pretty sure the whole point of Elon boring company is to steal public transportation money to fund underground highways that only rich people that buy elons cars can use

I mean, that's what the video they released said, anyways

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Why not both?

• Options

It's more likely we would melt the ice into water then use electrolysis to separate and store the hydrogen and oxygen for later use. A heat engine (Radioisotope thermoelectric generator) is relatively cheap and easy to ship to Mars and would produce all the energy you'd need to get started. I'm picturing a lander that builds a small pressure dome over the worksite. Pressure would be supplied by steam which in turn would be used to spin turbines, generating the electricity needed for electrolysis and smelting of iron. Just like a thermos, the tubes could have reinforcing rings every so often. Given the space between the inner and outer walls is a vacuum, this would be the only point where heat would conduct into the surrounding ice. Those points of contact could be easily insulated with ultra low density concrete or aerogel. The tubes would likely be round to minimize surface area and maximize structural stability. At 1/3rd G, ice is actually remarkably sturdy so re enforcement might not even be necessary. This would likely all be totally automated until a habitat is built. We'd need some major technological breakthroughs to get us there but none are outside the realm of what is scientifically possible.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

It's more likely we would melt the ice into water then use electrolysis to separate and store the hydrogen and oxygen for later use. A heat engine (Radioisotope thermoelectric generator) is relatively cheap and easy to ship to Mars and would produce all the energy you'd need to get started. I'm picturing a lander that builds a small pressure dome over the worksite. Pressure would be supplied by steam which in turn would be used to spin turbines, generating the electricity needed for electrolysis and smelting of iron. Just like a thermos, the tubes could have reinforcing rings every so often. Given the space between the inner and outer walls is a vacuum, this would be the only point where heat would conduct into the surrounding ice. Those points of contact could be easily insulated with ultra low density concrete or aerogel. The tubes would likely be round to minimize surface area and maximize structural stability. At 1/3rd G, ice is actually remarkably sturdy so re enforcement might not even be necessary. This would likely all be totally automated until a habitat is built. We'd need some major technological breakthroughs to get us there but none are outside the realm of what is scientifically possible.

I wonder if you could work some form of Pykrete from local resources. Normally it gets strength from plant fibers, but fiberglass would maybe work. For external shells, where it's going to be pretty cold, it could work well. Maybe easier to obtain materials for.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

I wonder if you could work some form of Pykrete from local resources. Normally it gets strength from plant fibers, but fiberglass would maybe work. For external shells, where it's going to be pretty cold, it could work well. Maybe easier to obtain materials for.

There's so much iron (albeit in the form of oxides) on Mars that it makes more sense to make everything from that. Granted there is quite a lot of siliceous rock that we could turn into glass but I think that will largely be secondary to steel production. The biggest obstacles I see are ones of metallurgy. Mars doesn't really have the raw materials to make electrodes for smelting steel. It also lacks easy access to some of the alloyable materials needed to make cryogenic steel. There is, however a high possibility that rare minerals have been concentrated at the bottom of the frozen lake we are talking about building on and can be used to kickstart construction.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I always imagined we would plop a big dome over an existing crater and build a city inside there. Probably not all that feasible but it's a neat image.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.