As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

podcast thread

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh hey, Dan talk

On the latest Mario Party Party, it was a real bummer to hear that Dan has probably given up on strength training because he hurt something and his doctor went and said dumb shit like "I've never met a smart bodybuilder" and that people like Dan just shouldn't do it

that sucks! that's a shitty doctor!

That's a shitty quote but it also sounded like the kind of strength training Dan was going for was too aggressive for his normal dude frame. I hope the doctor wasn't saying that strength training was stupid or only for stupid people, but that training to be a super strong guy is only for people who are already kind of built.

He was doing stronglifts 5x5 i believe, which is the basic essentials of barbell stuff. Now, being Dan, he probably did something wrong at some point and tweaked something, but it's likely something that could be solved. To say a 180lb dude plain shouldn't touch barbells because they don't have the build for it is asinine

Doctors can be pretty clueless about exercise.

Mine told me I couldn't possibly have ADD because I was sitting and talking to him.

That’s uh

What

Great question!

I think he was implying that if I had ADD I would not be able to either sit still or hold a conversation. Which, no.

Yeah I mean, I've heard that joke about ADD.

As someone who (probably) has ADD/ADHD, I can still hold a conversation, I just... tend to move around a lot. And I'm definitely fairly easily distracted. But to act like it would do that is, well... Stupid.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    "You can't be x because you can do y" is extremely common in disability assessments of all kinds. It's why some disabled people are terrified of showing basic competence at anything adjacent to their disability, because it can be used as a stick to hit them with.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Also the various illnesses and disabilities some doctors ignore because they just tell the patient it’s caused by them being overweight

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's just more proof that even if someone has a medical degree, that doesn't mean you have to take everything they say as fact.

I'm somewhat interested in being formally diagnosed with adhd (if I do actually have it!), but honestly, I don't know what I'd do with the diagnosis. Like, besides tell my mom, but she'd probably just say "Oh, I assumed you had it all along."

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Also the various illnesses and disabilities some doctors ignore because they just tell the patient it’s caused by them being overweight

yeah if you're overweight then a lot of doctors will just assume that anything wrong with you is just a consequence of being overweight

• Options

Also women in their 40s who get told that everything is the menopause. This resulted in someone close to me nearly dying of pneumonia.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Posted within the same minute. How will I choose?

(Trick question, I'm at work and will watch neither.)

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Remember at the beginning of unbreakable when the doctor takes a good 40 seconds asking what happened before doing something about the baby's broken bones

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

yeah if you're overweight then a lot of doctors will just assume that anything wrong with you is just a consequence of being overweight

this is an extremely fun time with fibro!!!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Dan talk

On the latest Mario Party Party, it was a real bummer to hear that Dan has probably given up on strength training because he hurt something and his doctor went and said dumb shit like "I've never met a smart bodybuilder" and that people like Dan just shouldn't do it

That's a shitty quote but it also sounded like the kind of strength training Dan was going for was too aggressive for his normal dude frame. I hope the doctor wasn't saying that strength training was stupid or only for stupid people, but that training to be a super strong guy is only for people who are already kind of built.

He was doing stronglifts 5x5 i believe, which is the basic essentials of barbell stuff. Now, being Dan, he probably did something wrong at some point and tweaked something, but it's likely something that could be solved. To say a 180lb dude plain shouldn't touch barbells because they don't have the build for it is asinine

Mine told me I couldn't possibly have ADD because I was sitting and talking to him.

holy shit
    I hope this doctor was not involved or connected in any way with mental health treatment

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, Dan talk

holy shit
    I hope this doctor was not involved or connected in any way with mental health treatment

GP. He gave my a psychiatrist referral, so I guess no harm done?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    You oughta know is unpunchable what the fuck are you even doing PUtJ.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You oughta know is unpunchable what the fuck are you even doing PUtJ.

They pretty quickly admit this themselves

Their punchup is still pretty good though

• Options
    Uh, I guess I'll spoiler this because it makes me sound really obnoxious, read at your own risk (PUTJ related)
    I can't really listen to it because the standard of criticism is so poor. I know that isn't the point, but to me it's just three people going "look, this is a bad lyric!" and laughing as though they just did something useful. I think all the people involved are really great, but it's the musical equivalent of cinemasins to me.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh god DAMMIT

There is a rumor going around that, at least one version of her judging from that first trailer, Sonya Blade will be played by and modeled after Ronda Rousey in MK 11

Fuckin

No thank you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Speaking of UCB has Abby ever posted publicly where she does improv?

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Phasen wrote: »

I’m pretty sure it’s come up before but I couldn’t tell you where.

Edit: oh actually it’s in her twitter bio.

rhylith on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    Uh, I guess I'll spoiler this because it makes me sound really obnoxious, read at your own risk (PUTJ related)
    I can't really listen to it because the standard of criticism is so poor. I know that isn't the point, but to me it's just three people going "look, this is a bad lyric!" and laughing as though they just did something useful. I think all the people involved are really great, but it's the musical equivalent of cinemasins to me.

Same vein
    I fell off because it seemed like they were straining to purposely misinterpret lyrics just to criticize something. i was kind of bummed because I really like them both otherwise. Been meaning to check back in.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

My roommate can't stand it for similar reasons. But I'm a music idiot and she's a classically trained performer, so I think I might have a sense of where the divide is.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The part where they’re analyzing the song line by line is often hit or miss, but I love the first part where they give context to the artist, song, and production, and the punch-ups are generally fun.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »

I’m pretty sure it’s come up before but I couldn’t tell you where.

Edit: oh actually it’s in her twitter bio.

lol figures I'd be in one of the most public of places.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

My roommate can't stand it for similar reasons. But I'm a music idiot and she's a classically trained performer, so I think I might have a sense of where the divide is.

I will say that after listening to their Freak On A Leash episode I had a lot more respect for the song because I was more aware of how wildly innovative that song is and was even more frustrated that they didn't pick up on any of it and just said "Freak On A Leash? That lyric doesn't make sense!" and like yeah bros, it's a simile.

• Options
    I've definitely had a number of episodes where I feel like I've understood something about the song that they have missed, particularly lyrically, and it's really frustrating when that happens

Most of the time I can just roll along with their goofs though

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    That's also my main gripe with PUTJ; they tend to take lyrics at face value instead of parsing meaning, especially when it's leading to a joke, but I've also found it's how they lay out important beats in their punchups without drawing a ton of attention to it.

I also don't play any instruments (except drums and I'm only okay on em') and I don't write music, so that does seem like one of the bigger knowledge gaps that can impact enjoyment

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Oh god DAMMIT

There is a rumor going around that, at least one version of her judging from that first trailer, Sonya Blade will be played by and modeled after Ronda Rousey in MK 11

Fuckin

No thank you

They got Tricia Helfer last time

That would be an insane step down, to the point where I don't know that they'd do it even out of some misplaced sense of hype

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    To be fair

They frequently, and vocally, say that they are not musically gifted or knowledgable and are not qualified to provide insights on that front and are just doing goofs on songs

Which doesn't make it less grating if you are a musician or musically knowledgable but they are pretty upfront about what the show is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I can't even understand what the impetus would be. Aside from being an absolute trashbag of a person, she's an awful actor.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh god DAMMIT

Fuckin

No thank you

That would be an insane step down, to the point where I don't know that they'd do it even out of some misplaced sense of hype
    I mean

She is a garbage person

But Ronda Rousey is 100% a bigger name that Tricia Helfer, its not even close

I hate it and don't want them to do it but there is a logic

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I can't even understand what the impetus would be. Aside from being an absolute trashbag of a person, she's an awful actor.

Like I said, the only reason to do this would be to get "hype"

But that just kinda seems like a rumor based on how someone thinks they're modelled, I don't even really see the resemblance

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    To be fair

They frequently, and vocally, say that they are not musically gifted or knowledgable and are not qualified to provide insights on that front and are just doing goofs on songs

Which doesn't make it less grating if you are a musician or musically knowledgable but they are pretty upfront about what the show is

Yeah, it's not a problem with them, it's a problem with where I'm approaching it from. I'm much more annoyed at other Youtubers who are allegedly musicians but do similarly critically barren takedowns of popular music.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Bungie has split off from Activision, taking Destiny with it

https://kotaku.com/bungie-splits-with-activision-1831651740

• Options

But that just kinda seems like a rumor based on how someone thinks they're modelled, I don't even really see the resemblance
    The rumor is based on a supposed internal email about the upcoming event they are hosting for the game with Rousey making an appearance

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

This is good right? This seems good.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

...huh

Hopefully this means good things?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Like, a month after Activision gave everyone with a battle.net account a free copy of Destiny 2 to boot.

• Options
    Oh god DAMMIT

Fuckin

No thank you

I mean

She is a garbage person

I'm gonna admit that maybe I just don't hang out in the same circles, but like, most of my friends do not know who Rhonda Rousey is and do know Helfer

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

This is good right? This seems good.

It has the potential to be very good for Bungie and Destiny

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

The rumor is based on a supposed internal email about the upcoming event they are hosting for the game with Rousey making an appearance

Well, that would suck a lot

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh god DAMMIT

Fuckin

No thank you

I mean

She is a garbage person

I'm gonna admit that maybe I just don't hang out in the same circles, but like, most of my friends do not know who Rhonda Rousey is and do know Helfer
    Yeah this is 100% a you thing dude

Rousey is one of the most recognized athletes in the last decade, a current WWE champion and has starred in multiple movies in the past 5 or so years

Helfer's biggest recent role is as a regular on Lucifer

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.